PDA

View Full Version : Avatar the Game.....

Lux
30 Dec 2009, 09:58am
Well my parents got this for me for Christmas so I've played it halfway through (you can play as the Na'vi or as RDA) and I've basically got a good impression of it already....

The game's storyline is basically nothing to do with that of the films. There is no women you hook up with..you know a human women who helps you but it doesn't get intimate. Except for maybe one, the characters are pretty much all made up, although some do resemble those of the film. The missions are pretty much all the same, Kill....there are a few others but generally it's just killing.

That brings me onto the combat system.

I'd already played the iTouch version and the combat system wasn't bad....but on console it's probably worse.

There aren't really any combo's, and there is a complete lack of differentiation. There are a certain amount of weapons, both as Na'vi and RDA, but you just really button mash, unless you've got a gun, in which case you just hold. You can upgrade your weapons and armour throughout the story mode too though.

There are special moves, which brings me onto why this game is too easy. Mainly because the difficulty is just far too low, and as you progress through the game the difficulty doesn't increase AT ALL, infact the ending was the easiest part of the whole game... Anyway the special moves are varied, you can go invisible, summon a minion, increase attack, call in an air strike, go faster + evade, repel enemies, and heal...although you can only have 4 at a time equipped...but these are more than enough to survive anything in the game.

You can also collect cell samples and weaponry.. so you can re-supply and get extra lives. Extra lives pretty much put the nail in the coffin when it comes to making this game easy, you can get through most parts with one life, yet you find yourself with a few back up lives (you just carry on fighting on the spot)..so you could be really reckless and survive.

There is a side mode......where you can play a risk like game but on Pandora...you basically use credits you get in the storyline to build an army and take the whole of Pandora. By taking certain parts of Pandora, you can get upgrades for in-game, such as armour+, crit damage...etc. I didn't play it until I'd completed the story mode so, doing this mode is really in vain because you don't need the upgrades...I guess it is an OK challenge though because it's probably the hardest part of the game.

There is multiplayer for this game You can play several modes, all involving Na'vi vs RDA. These modes are pretty much Team deathmatch, Capture the flag, and defend/attack key points of each side.

The multiplayer is decent, but not great. Any upgrades you get in story mode are void in multiplayer, all armours are the same, you get a choice of skills, but you can't use all the ones available in story mode. Weapons do different damage/fire rate/range though.

It's decent but, lacking in quality. Na'vi can use arrows but, RDA have FAR superior weapons which most of the time mow down the Na'vi before they get close. Na'vi can pretty quickly melee you to death though. You don't really feel a good balance of the game, I think that a good RDA will always win, because you can get upgrades such as extra bullet damage which counter-act Na'vi's extra defence, and you can use a repel skill that means that you can enough time to shoot them down. RDA can even in some maps use vechiles, and you can get one of those big fighting suits as well...For me it's a decent multiplayer to keep you amused for a while but, you should just stick to COD.

Overall it's probably an ok game if you get it on the cheap (it cost my parents £25), and there is some form of multiplayer so that is a plus to most movies turned into games.....but the game isn't fantastic, provides nothing special....it's just another game you might enjoy for a bit, but even then it's not as satisfying as a game such as Assassin's Creed.

Sexy Fish
30 Dec 2009, 11:49am
Just another nail in the "Movie games need to die" coffin.

Lux
30 Dec 2009, 12:45pm

Some movie games are good, usually the ones that come out at the same time as the movie itself are bad though.

dobby985
2 Jan 2010, 08:16am
It was an ok game. It was basically a Lost Planet clone.

Jazzyy
4 Jan 2010, 06:42am
alien vs predator looked kinda good D:

Tomathon
4 Jan 2010, 09:32am
Meh heard the films good but not sure about the game.

Italian Jew
4 Jan 2010, 11:21am

Those games inspired the movies. Even though there is a new game, that franchise doesn't count.

Sexy Fish
4 Jan 2010, 11:30am

Yes, it does. Though its being made by the same dev team that made Rogue Warrior. :cry:

ckw
4 Jan 2010, 11:30am
Well they started on the game way long before the started on th movie;P so this is kind of Movie based game, instead of game based on movie^^

2DG
4 Jan 2010, 01:44pm

^this! /10char

PingPong
4 Jan 2010, 02:17pm
A game properly done based on a movie can be a huge hit. However if they put out craph like this then no.