PDA

View Full Version : [Removed] Paranoid Escape - Map Removal Request

Elleon
26 Dec 2009, 12:17am
Although I am not a big fan of this map, it is fairly obvious it has problems beyond our control. Aside form it having unappealing quality when concerning gameplay content, the main issue i see is the continuous lag, server freezes, and servers crashes.

Just about every time I play this there's atleast one issue out of the three and it is more than a bit ridiculous. It destroys our population when reverse mode gets stuck or it sticks to just the entrance part of the map.

There should be far more input than what i can give, but I suspect more than one invidiual shares these concerns.

I welcome any person who votes yes to get this map removed, but please, share why.

Bethy
26 Dec 2009, 12:22am
I put up a poll, I don't like this map either but I'd like to see what everyone else has to say.

Caution
26 Dec 2009, 01:44am
Which map is that again?

Vivian556
26 Dec 2009, 01:46am
I love this map. :c

tank40175
26 Dec 2009, 01:58am
Honestly, it has to be one of the most popular maps in server. It could use some real improvements, but usually no two rounds are the same with all the world triggers. This is one of maybe 3 maps we have that will win vote every time without being #1 fail spam vote.

edit: Server crashes, and lag spikes are an issue. May be able to fix if map hasn't been optimized. Then agian it may just be too much for servers to handle.

Elleon
26 Dec 2009, 02:17am
Even if it was an excellent map, it isn't, but even if it was, the fact remains this map still freezes and crashes or causes a great deal of lag, which should make any excuse to keep it on void and insignificant. If it stays, so be it, but atleast take it off long enough for it to be fixed properly.

Was it really the creators intention for reverse mode to continuously loop making us play it round after round? Was it intentional for everyone to get kicked out of the server, then restart paranoid so we have to play again, for another mind numbing 40 minutes? How about the lag created by maybe 20 guns going off? The universal freeze for maybe 20 seconds, or the round freeze where no one can move past the first gates? Crashes again and again.

No two rounds are the same in any map, consideirng the human element being in place. You see a big tower and you run towards it, big woop on that. A person get's a skin or a chainsaw, but it doesn't do much to improve the odds, nothing there makes or breaks the round. You have more strategic game play with opening and closing a single door than this map has with all of it's triggers, props, and skins combined.

Jazz
26 Dec 2009, 05:14am
I supported the removal. Ze_paranoid makes the server crash and lag. I'm very sure I'm not the only one that get's the lag spikes from it.

I'm also not a fan of this map either. The only part I liked was the ending of the map where you get unlimited ammo and that cool song comes up. The rest is just basically following the arrows on the mini-map and walking around a labyrinth untill you get to the "walls".

Daze
26 Dec 2009, 06:52am
Can someone contact the maker and see if he will fix the current bugs?

Metal
26 Dec 2009, 07:22am
Can someone contact the maker and see if he will fix the current bugs?

He is done with this map.
He stop making them after turbo.

b0red
26 Dec 2009, 09:29am
Even though I hate the map, a lot of people really like it. If the Hannibal could fix it than I say fine keep the map. But until than remove the map because it crashes and freezes the server.

andre1028
26 Dec 2009, 10:08am
I love the map personally, but I can confirm the server freezing/crashing so I would like to push for a removal or some kind of fix.

Elleon
26 Dec 2009, 11:12am
I just got through having a 36 population for the escape server. It crashed and dropped that number to 12. It then took 15 minutes to get it up to 21. Not 4 rounds later the map crashed again kicking 25+.

That is completely unfair to the players. There is no way I am just going to sit back and see that happen again and again. No way, that is just not right at all and I will be changing the map if i see problems like these appear.

EDIT: Great, stuck at 12 people again.

Shadowex3
26 Dec 2009, 12:58pm
I think we're also forgetting the important fact that paranoid is not a zombie escape map. Paranoid has far more in common with 1/2 of the funtastic maps than it does with ANY of the escape maps. We could stick it on MG and remove the zombie and probably not much would be different.

Imho paranoid, like starget and potc, is one of those self-playing maps that seems to have infested the server recently. What the players do doesnt really matter, the map exists purely as a self running sequence of triggers and fancy scripted sequences all running along quietly without any real input needed from the players.

Bob Loblaw
26 Dec 2009, 03:10pm
My input: It's well made, but as Shadow said, it seems he made it PURELY for a "Look at all these triggers I can create" map. The guns are fun to freeze zombies and stuff. But I've never seen a map with this bad gameplay. SST (No offense ;)) has 10 fold better gameplay than this map.

I think if he took some of the weapons (the map has wayyy too many) and put them into a new map that actually has reasonable gameplay then I would loveeee the new map. But the gameplay is sooooo bad, and it lags sooooo much in the middle that it needs to go.

Acessed
26 Dec 2009, 03:25pm
Not my favourite but it's still pretty fun and even though it's been out for ages i still haven't seen half of the modes, features etc.. because it's so big :D

Neji
26 Dec 2009, 03:52pm
Great map by the guy who made lotr maps, great gameplay, and we always have a lot of fun there, especially when we play silent hill mod <3

ckw
26 Dec 2009, 03:53pm
The map it selv is okay, and pretty cool thats random mods:) but agree, it got to many issues right now, so I voting for remove it, aleast until the probs are fixed:)

Determined2Win
26 Dec 2009, 03:58pm
I have a dream . . . that one day . . . this map shall receive it's very own edit and will not be judged by the col-. . .

Yeah this map needs an edit, although I personally do believe it does bring a good amount of traffic to the server.

Bad Dog
26 Dec 2009, 04:06pm
I love this map. This map brings a lot of traffic to the server and its design and gameplay are awsome.
That being said, if its causing our servers any problems, then it definatley should be removed FOR NOW.
If we can get it fixed then I say bring it back but anything that hurts the server shouldnt be left on.

So yes to its removal, but I say we try to get it fixed to where it wont have these issues

Mcbride
26 Dec 2009, 04:34pm
i voted no because i love the map and i havent seen it lag the server or freeze so...im not sure about what you guys are seeing sorry..

Chaos
26 Dec 2009, 05:07pm
Yes, remove for now, at least until it can be updated.

Elleon
27 Dec 2009, 11:24am
The poll isn't very effective considering 3 options are being laid out in front of us.

1. Remove Paranoid from Escape, never to be seen again.
2. Keep Paranoid on the server.
3. Remove Paranoid temporarily in order for it to be fixed, then bring it back.

Paranoid is losing it's luster every passing day, but although this may be true, yes, the map does get voted for often. Referring it as bringing in traffic is more bullshit than fact; there is a difference between a map bringing in population and it simply being very popular. This isn't LOTR when it first came out, and I never see a significant increase in player population when it is on, just a lot more people talking and mic spamming.

If you haven't seen the issues, fine, vote yes without hesitation, but if you see the issues, please make sure to voice them here so that at the very least, this map can be fixed. I don't really see the logic in ignoring this step considering that if you really do like this map, FIXING the problems can only make it better.

I don't deny the popularity but the issues are a real concern. I didn't care for LOTR either but I voted yes to let it stay because they bitch continued to improve (before we knew what it was doing to the server). This situation isn't any different.

turbodaze
27 Dec 2009, 11:35am
this map does suck and agree totally

Jazz
27 Dec 2009, 01:07pm
Anyone else, rather than Hannibal that has acess to edit this map? I do like the map, but I hate the lag.

More than 50% wants this removed now.....

Best suggestion; Remove it temporarly until a fixer corrects the problems?

Bob Loblaw
27 Dec 2009, 02:07pm
Anyone else, rather than Hannibal that has acess to edit this map? I do like the map, but I hate the lag.

More than 50% wants this removed now.....

Best suggestion; Remove it temporarly until a fixer corrects the problems?

Technically all you would have to do is ask hannibal to send someone the vmf (you could decompile but it isn't perfec, so asking for vmf would be easier) but ultimately to fix it you would need to remove everything and start again.

Like I said the guns are fun, but the gameplay is terrible. If you wanted to make the gameplay fun, you would include a buyzone, which would then mean you have to remove the gates otherwise zombie would knife everyone immediately. Plus the labyrinth is annoying as hell except for the fact it houses all the guns.
Then it comes down to removing tons of stuff from that middle part so it doesn't drop (in my case) fps down to about 9.
Not to mention if you survive the end game scenario is ENTIRELY anti-climactic. It's fun to kill them, but it completely removes all the intensity and suspense...

So ultimately, asking for a fix is like asking for a new map.
Not to mention it is the guns and all the parented things to the guns that crash to server, so those would have to be removed too.

Lastly but not leastly, his map is clearly very complicated. So it would take a long time to figure out how he set up the triggers so you can edit them and remove things without screwing over tons of other aspects.

(von dutch) delta force 8
27 Dec 2009, 02:56pm
crashes server more times than billy mays can say: get on the ball

Elleon
27 Dec 2009, 03:17pm
Basically what you are saying Loblaw, is that he screwed the pooch from square one?

Either or, I care very little about whether or not he has to start from scratch to fix this problem, only that this problem certainly needs to be fixed.

Paranoid has a buyzone, not exactly sure what you are talking aobut Loblaw.

Metal
27 Dec 2009, 05:21pm
i would like to see a Mini version of this map.
smaller maze but same ending

Elleon
27 Dec 2009, 06:02pm
i would like to see a Mini version of this map.
smaller maze but same ending

You couldn't put a build a mini version fo this is you wanted to. 90% of the map is just running through a maze and waiting for walls to dissapear. If it were mini, may as well just put the final nail in the coffin and move it to our minigames server.

Undeadkitty
28 Dec 2009, 12:51am
this map is alot like the old burn maps

Bob Loblaw
28 Dec 2009, 01:57am
Basically what you are saying Loblaw, is that he screwed the pooch from square one?

Either or, I care very little about whether or not he has to start from scratch to fix this problem, only that this problem certainly needs to be fixed.

Paranoid has a buyzone, not exactly sure what you are talking aobut Loblaw.

Really lol where? O.O

And IMO he would need to completely rebuild the map to make it a good map. The weapons and modes are fun, but the main section of the map is the labyrinth, which is boring and confusing as hell. He would need to actually make a level for the gameplay to become good. The ideas behind it are good, but it seems he just hoshposhed the level itself and went for a labyrinth because it would take a while and hold his guns, rather than actually making a decent level.
Not to mention his entdata or mapmaxplanes was probably very near or at max from the weapons and triggers so he couldn't make a decent level.

I think he needs to simplify the map. It's far too complex.

Sk!ll3r
28 Dec 2009, 05:43am
Paranoid is a fail map , remove it , haven't liked it since it came out .

Bethy
28 Dec 2009, 11:32am
Alright, the votes have spoken. I'm removing it now until we can possibly get the map maker to fix the glitches and server crashes.