PDA

View Full Version : The saboteur review

Orangejuice35
6 Dec 2009, 08:08pm
So this game pretty much reminds me of assasins creed with cars and killing nazis :D you can scale buildings like in assasins creed you can steal cars like in GTA you can silently kill nazis like in hitman this game is a dream come true :D the game is set in ww2 paris you play as sean a irish man and you help this guy ( not far in the game) form a resistance against nazis raiding paris! oh yes its awesome :D pick it up in stores today i know you will like it unless you hate AC GTA an hitman :D

Zealot
6 Dec 2009, 08:29pm
I wanted it since e3. I just love the visual style and the story seems interesting.

TheTruth
6 Dec 2009, 08:30pm
Its in my Gamefly Q ;_;

Karnivor
22 Dec 2009, 06:28pm
It is an amazing game, I hope you didn't expect to play it with an ati card... wont end well.

the Saboteur is one of the final games to be made by Pandemic Studios before there shut down this past November. The game is being called Pandemics Swan Song.

I got it a few weeks before it came out and I have to say I was pretty impressed. So, here is a list of my likes and dislikes on the game.

Visual Style - The game has a very interesting visual style, the way that you start the game with a almost black and white view, and as you bring hope back into the city, the areas actually switch to a realistic color scheme

Weapons - I like the wide variety of weapons that the game includes, whether you want to run around poping people in the face with a Luger, or if you want to pop someones skull off from a mile away using a Kar-98 sniper rifle.

Missions - Just like good old GTA this game is based around doing missions for certain people, some are required, most are not. Some are the standard "Go to place 'x' and kill person 'f' where as some are assassinations, intelligence gathering or just revenge.

Climbing - The ability to climb everything adds a level of fun and entertainment into the game that makes the game what it is. you can scale almost any building with ease, and it proves to be a very useful skill.

Inventory System - I like the minimal inventory space you are allowed to have, I liked having to choose which 2 guns I wanted to be able to bring with me to a mission, rather than just be carrying 10000000 guns like a 1 man army.

Sabotage System - The Ability to sabotage everything the nazi's have was one of my favorite things to do in this game, I spent my first day playing this game literally running around blowing up anything with a swastika on it. Gas stations, Propaganda speakers, watch towers, tanks, cop cars, search lights... you name it I blew it up.

Suspicion/Alarm System - I liked that you cant just run around and do fuck all without drawing attention to yourself. You cant just run down the street with a gun drawn and expect the nazi guards to ignore you. There are things that raise your suspicion level just like the disguise system in Prototype, and if you get to suspicious the nazi's will raise an "Alarm" against you. There are I believe 5 levels of Alarm, and they are basically just like getting stars in GTA the more you have, the more fun... or was it the more you have the faster you die? is there a difference there? either way. To escape the alarm, you simply have to get out of the little circle of alarm on your map, which follows you as nazis see you just like gta. Another way to evade an alarm is to use a "Hideout" if no one sees you enter one of these special rooms (marked on your map) you get away safe.

Disguise System - The Disguise system in this game is one I find that I like a lot. Unlike other disguise games where you are completely unrecognizable unless you are already ripping someones head off this one requires you to be careful. To obtain a disguise, you must kill a nazi without using weapons (or you destroy the disguise) When you are disguised you get a small circle around you on your minimap, whenever a nazi is inside that circle you raise suspicion, just like before, suspicion circle fills, you are outed and an alarm is raised. Your circles size depends on what you are doing. If you are walking, it is very small, and it makes it easiest to slip in. If you are running, it is a lot larger and it becomes harder to infiltrate enemy areas. Your circle is largest when you are climbing, or aiming down the sights of your weapon, these actions generally mean you are screwed already though so they aren't to big of an impact.

Dislikes
Graphics - Though the game may be a "new" game Elder Scrolls Oblivion puts this games graphics to shame. I understand that they went for quantity over quality, but when I can drive into a park and see trees floating 4 feet off the ground, there is a problem. Is it worth having a whole massive city to climb, run, drive, and fly around if you have to stare at graphics that would have been considered "dated" back in 2004?

Vehicle Controls - Ok, this is probably me jut being picky, but I cannot stand the way the vehicle controls are in this game. It is the classic wasd movement system, which just doesnt feel fluid and moving like the rest of the game does. After playing Borderlands and enjoying the mouse aimed style of driving, I did enjoy being able to look around while driving, but there was a degree of control that I feel is lost when you revert entirely to wasd movement.

PoV - It is a 3rd person game. Plain and simple. This is what makes a lot of the game work, but I would like to see the ability to switch to first person when you are only walking/running around and while shooting. As fun as it is not having to be acurate with my gun, I still like looking down the sights more than just having a cross hair floating infront of me.

Story Line - Though it is very interesting and gives you a drive to complete the game and see it finished, I simply cant stand how every main character of a game seems to be a person who is well versed in everything that there is in the world, and whos past seems to be filled with the most random and convenient little connections. It is almost painful to listen to the random things that keep getting added to your past to motivate you to go do x mission for fuck face y. I understand wanting to make us feel for what we are doing, but there is a line with it. Also, the little "Lost Ark" Stuff was really just annoying.

Dialog - This game has some of the most random phrases and conversations I have ever heard. It could be because I simply lack the high level brain functions to understand why it makes sense, or the just found a book with really old, really pointless saying. For example, early in the game you are asked if you will help someone blow up a nazi building and your response is simply "In for a penny, in for a pound" what does that have to do with this particular mission? Honestly, sometimes I wonder if they fired the dialog members of pandemic during the writing of the game and had to wing the rest of it.

Final Thoughts
The Saboteur in the end is a really fun game, it has its problems, but in the end the fun of the game outweighs them.

I would recommend that if you like assassins creed, like the idea of guns, and want to kill nazis, that you at least give this game a try.

ReGIONALS
23 Dec 2009, 04:30pm
ive got the game and its all ive played for about 3 days now. its very nice,high 5