PDA

View Full Version : US becoming a third world country?

Mephisto
3 Dec 2009, 11:14pm
As I was reading different news sites and came to contact with an article saying that for the first time in 27 years, the unemployment in the US has reached over 10%. 10% being the ''official numbers'', I came to discover that the unofficial number, the other people that can't even be officially considered as ''unemployed'', brought up the number to 20%, being around 60 million Americans.

Living in Quebec, Canada, I haven't been in contact with the recession as much as people south of us. Not seeing an increasing amount of homeless people in my surrounding made me think that it wasn't as bad as some people say. Then I found this:

http://pakalert.wordpress.com/2009/04/08/homeless-in-tent-city-usa/

This article is 8 months old... Do we see this on TV? well not on mine and I see no American media that openly speaks about this issue. As I brought this to one of my friend, he told me that a city in the US had even made it illegal to feed homeless people... Stunned by this news I went to look on the internet, I was stunned...

http://www.nationalhomeless.org/publications/crimreport/report.pdf

This document was made in January 2006...

Many cities start making it illegal to be homeless in a system that pushes you towards it. One thing I saw over the years on the internet is how proud the Americans were about their constitution, telling everyone how free they were, but why do I hear so many, so many people saying how free they are, and I just have to look at the news to see the opposite.

But, I am no American so I can't really have a touch of this reality that the media ignores. So my question is this: Do you have contact with this reality? Are the USA becoming a third world country?

Please if you answer yes or no explain why, I'm trying to have a better understanding of the situation.

Thanks
M

Italian Jew
3 Dec 2009, 11:30pm
No, the US is not becoming a third world country. It has really become an out of date word since the end of the Cold War as it signified a neutral stance to both the US/NATO and USSR. You should mean to say developing world or nation (or something along those lines).

I can safely tell you that even in the worst parts of the US, it is much better than in the middle of some economically deprived African nation. Our struggles in no way compare to the level that those in some developing nations endure.

We are, in most cases, free to do what we want with our lives as long as we work at it. The news you are reading is either misrepresentative of what is actually occurring or you are just interpreting it incorrectly.

Wrathek
4 Dec 2009, 06:05am
on this most rare of occasions, i entirely agree with IJ. and to add to your "understanding", most of us are probably just as far if not further removed from the recession. (for those of you that aren't, i feel for you).

Metal
4 Dec 2009, 07:08am
The 10% of people not having jobs.
They can simple work at a gas station or a small town store.
Its not hard to fine, small jobs, but that 10% of people are from LARGE LARGE corperations.

IMO

Mephisto
4 Dec 2009, 08:19am
You should mean to say developing world or nation (or something along those lines).

I can safely tell you that even in the worst parts of the US, it is much better than in the middle of some economically deprived African nation. Our struggles in no way compare to the level that those in some developing nations endure.

According to this list: http://www.ams.org/membership/develop.html
Some countries like Russia, Egypt and India are considered developing countries. So I went out to find a definition of underdeveloped countries. Here is the first one I found:

''Underdevelopment is the state of an organization (e.g. a country) that has not reached its maturity. It is often used to refer to economic underdevelopment, symptoms of which include lack of access to job opportunities, health care, drinkable water, food, education and housing.''

Let's look at the symptoms one by one:

Lack of access to job opportunities: As proved in my first post, this is already a symptom, getting stronger every months.

Health Care: ''According to the US Census Bureau, in 2007, 45.7 million people in the U.S. (15.3% of the population) were without health insurance for at least part of the year. This number was down slightly from the previous year, with nearly 3 million more people receiving government coverage and a slightly lower percentage covered under private plans than the year previous.[4] Other studies have placed the number of uninsured in the years 2007-2008 as high as 86.7 million, about 29% of the US population.[5][6]

Among the uninsured population, the Census Bureau says, nearly 37 million were employment-age adults (ages 18 to 64), and more than 27 million worked at least part time.''

The health care is already a known problem and yet many Americans still opposes national health care.

Drinkable Water: I did not find this symptom beside the fact that some cities in the USA (for example Atlanta http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3730145&page=1)

Food: http://hungerreport.org/2009/chapters/us-poverty/39-food-prices
As we can see in this report, the food prices in the US has risen up to a point where families had to increase the % of their revenue that they would invest in groceries by about 6%. As many American can't sacrifice 6% of their revenue, many can't eat as much as they can.

Education: http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2009-01-08-adult-literacy_N.htm
It is to understand that most people that have problem reading won't be the one going on the internet to talk about it since most of them wouldn't be able to express themselves in most medias.

Housing: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aE29HSrxA4rI
It is no news to see how badly the housing problem has become.

By looking at all the curves in all of the symptoms, in what way is it not ''becoming'' an underdeveloped nation?

Killer
4 Dec 2009, 09:05am
North America, Europe and Japan are currently in Stage 4 for of the demographic transition model. And is working its way through to stage 5 this means that america is a developed country.

Egypt is currently in Stage 2 of the DTM

Red
4 Dec 2009, 09:40am
Third World Country?

Give me a fucking break.

Go to Cambodia, that's a 3rd world country, I never saw kids so happy to play in dirty water puddles on the sides of the road in my life.

Italian Jew
4 Dec 2009, 10:03am
By looking at all the curves in all of the symptoms, in what way is it not ''becoming'' an underdeveloped nation?

The vast majority of the US is secure in all/most facets of what you have mentioned (i.e. the majority of Americans do not meet the criteria of living in a developing nation). We are a VERY developed nation and it is going to take nothing short of nuclear war in order to change that.

Lordcrazy
9 Dec 2009, 05:17pm
We are by far not a 3rd World Country that means you have over most of your country is jobless or very poor, the economical status of your country is very poor, your country is very far behind in technology. We are none of those things, in fact we have the worlds leading QUALITY military the last time I checked.

Mephisto
9 Dec 2009, 05:20pm
so the quality of the military proves that a country is developed?

Toxin
9 Dec 2009, 05:41pm

Where the fuck did you get that idea?

You don't see American students wearing used donated clothes walk 10 miles to school and proceed to sit on the floor with one book for the whole class to share.

Drox
9 Dec 2009, 06:35pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World

The Third World is the majority of national powers on the planet. These countries represent a modern society, but in the process of potential development as recognized continental representatives of the world community today. The majority among this group, comprises of many moderately wealthy, but militarily effective governments. To include to this, many Third World nations (especially in Africa), are affected drastically by political problems, or bad geographical conditions, such as droughts and non-fertile soil. These problems are not the least of it in some Third World countries. Famines, shortages, regional wars, and etc., have all caused much instability and no hopes of restoration in the public in Third World nations. Today, the First World, and the Second World, come forth to bring aid and civil support to bring about strong foreign relations, and bring them into any of their collective orbits'. Superpowers, whether asked or self-intended, charitably feed their resources and benefacted commodities to these types of Third World powers, ostensibly as a form of idealistic friendship, though the financial institutions through which this "friendship" is extended (e.g., the IMF and World Bank) have been heavily criticized for creating, rather than alleviating, poverty and economic dependence[citation needed]. Many members of the Third World state of national powers, are of course nonaligned with any global significance (like the United States of America), and squander on their various economic or political concerns in regional affairs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States#Economy

Pretty much, a 3rd world country is based off things such as Human Devlopment, Military, and technology. The US is far from being what we consider a 3rd world country, we are at the moment considered a 1st world country. So to say america is turning into a 3rd world country is alittle silly, considering the countries that are 3rd world countries are the ones where people barely live to the age of 30, have civil wars on a yearly basis, and cant control diseases.

America is actually one of the countries who gives aid to 3rd world countries, right now America is just in a rut where our economy is hurting, this will not lead to the US becoming a 3rd world country unless the result is a long term depression and most of the simple supply and demand products (Such as food, drinks, medicine ect.) become almost extinct from our normal lives.

cakeshark
9 Dec 2009, 06:56pm
The rest of the world would need to advance leaps and bounds for the USA, in its current state, to be considered a third world country.

andre1028
9 Dec 2009, 06:57pm
lol. The USA will officially become a third world country when it goes into depression and jumps on inflation then turns into post WWII Nazi Germany having a completely broken economy which is really unlikely. Try reading up on the Business cycle.

Voltage
9 Dec 2009, 07:00pm
Not It will not become a third world country.

Slavic
10 Dec 2009, 02:49pm
Not It will not become a third world country.

Oh Snap a Double Negative.

This is undeniable proof that we are a third world country.

Voltage
10 Dec 2009, 02:51pm
Oh Snap a Double Negative.

This is undeniable proof that we are a third world country.

I'm swimming in cold cash, and I don't see any of my money go away.

TheTruth
10 Dec 2009, 02:53pm

You should put the heat on then.

PotshotPolka
10 Dec 2009, 04:03pm

It's not going anywhere, it's just slowly approaching an equal exchange rate with toilet paper.

As for "third world", here's a quick test.

Leave your computer and room, then go out your garage door.
Walk down your paved driveway to your paved street.
Turn around and look at your house.

If you can do all these things, congratulations, you don't live in a 3rd world country.

Voltage
10 Dec 2009, 04:34pm
It's not going anywhere, it's just slowly approaching an equal exchange rate with toilet paper.

If you can do all these things, congratulations, you don't live in a 3rd world country.

I don't see any homeless kids on my street, so I think your right.

tank40175
10 Dec 2009, 08:06pm
We are not becoming a third world country, not even close. However, we are in for some very tough times. I do not believe this economic "recovery" will last. I think we are yet to see the bad side of this. I hope to be wrong about this, but Government spending is out of control, even thier accounting offices say it is not sustainable, and they are just piling on more. If the Government cannot even sustain itself, not much it can do for the economy. Not to mention that some policies being proposed right now will severly hurt the economy. Not help it.

Slavic
10 Dec 2009, 11:39pm

Oh My God, South Jersey is a third world country by these standards.

trakaill
11 Dec 2009, 03:49am

is that cause the house is covered in snow and you cant see it:twitch:

Red
11 Dec 2009, 09:20am
is that cause the house is covered in snow and you cant see it:twitch:

No, Jersey is a shithole

PotshotPolka
11 Dec 2009, 09:38am

Indeed.

Bullet Wound
11 Dec 2009, 10:44am
Unless from an external (destructive) force, I don't even think its possible to move down to a third world country.

Determined2Win
11 Dec 2009, 02:13pm
Its not hard to fine, small jobs, but that 10% of people are from LARGE LARGE corperations.

IMO

A large sum of that 10% have a family of up to 3-4 kids, maybe a dog and/or cat, etc.

Working a gas pump just wouldn't suffice.

tank40175
11 Dec 2009, 05:20pm
A large sum of that 10% have a family of up to 3-4 kids, maybe a dog and/or cat, etc.

Working a gas pump just wouldn't suffice.

QFT, my job does not pay much, but working mini-wage would not even come close to providing for my family. So working a gas pump, or fliping burgers at the local fast food joints would not even pay as much as unenployment would for me. Fourtunately for me at this point is the fact that my wife is now working a job that will double my family's income. So I can start getting ahead now. In case things go bad agian.

Resistance
11 Dec 2009, 07:06pm
America is certainly not a third world.

America is a service industry nation. We have long moved on from agriculture production. Though only about roughly three percent of us are currently working in the agriculture business. Though we have machinery that are helping us cover vast amounts of land. Also the ones that are doing agriculture productions are large company owners.

Third world countries do not have the luxury of advanced farming equipment. They are also farming to put food on the table and not to sell it to other countries. Though if they were to have extra they would trade it off to another farmer for something that they need or do not have.

Kennith
11 Dec 2009, 07:49pm
Why is this topic still even going? lol.

PotshotPolka
11 Dec 2009, 08:06pm
Why is this topic still even going? lol.

+1 is apparently still a motivator I guess.

Metal
12 Dec 2009, 06:05am

omfg, XD
you always make me lol

Determined2Win
12 Dec 2009, 10:40am
omfg, XD
you always make me lol

I'm pretty sure that was a super cereal comment.

@Cloud, +1'ing is making a comeback,

- Your Mom

Hazzard
12 Dec 2009, 10:54am
People just need to get off their "video games" 'drugs" "laziness" and go do something productive. Hell, when I went to school all the kids thought taking a dip or drinking was cool.

Just replace kids video games with a science or math book, that will do the job. Hopefully. American students can not even contest with students in china and such. There are even kids in Africa who would run 8 miles just to get an education. That's all I see out of this, were just a bunch of consumers were if we get cut short we will erupt.

Simmons1114
12 Dec 2009, 12:37pm

I got out of my living room, walked out the front door of my families mobile home.
I walked down my muddy dirt road to the crappy paved street.
I turned around to look at my mobile home but couldnt see past all the trees.

Did i pass the test?

TheTruth
12 Dec 2009, 12:39pm
I got out of my living room, walked out the front door of my families mobile home.

Did i pass the test?

That's what you get in Alabama.

Simmons1114
12 Dec 2009, 12:40pm
still part of America

LegalSmash
12 Dec 2009, 01:11pm

IMO

No its really not. Trust me .

Harpr33t
12 Dec 2009, 05:14pm
Mephisto, Sorry to say your theory is shit.

Drox
12 Dec 2009, 06:13pm

Did i pass the test?

yet walmart is still a car drive away lol

Mephisto
12 Dec 2009, 07:32pm
Mephisto, Sorry to say your theory is shit.

Well I wanted to bring up a discussion to see the opinion of people on the manner since the country is going downward at an alarming rate. I made some research to bring up something constructive, unlike your response.

In that logic, my theory isn't shit, the answer you just gave me, in the other hand, is.

Toxin
12 Dec 2009, 07:39pm
I will curb stomp a kitten, nay, make that kittenS with an S, shit throw in puppies too, if the United States turns into a Third World Country.

I'll go down to the animal shelter and volunteer my services to give the people there a day of reprieve from having to do the killings themselves.

Dracula
12 Dec 2009, 09:16pm
Well I wanted to bring up a discussion to see the opinion of people on the manner since the country is going downward at an alarming rate. I made some research to bring up something constructive, unlike your response.

In that logic, my theory isn't shit, the answer you just gave me, in the other hand, is.

No, your theory is shit.

Metal
12 Dec 2009, 10:12pm
No its really not. Trust me .

I USED IMO!
God, its not like i understand all this rescission crap.

But im just say for my other comment, i depends on your pay and your job.
My farther works at goodyear and my moms a nurse.
They both have good pay and we get though fine.

It all depends on what kinda job you get.
maybe not all jobs would support, but for renting a apartment and just 1-2 people living there
a simple job at the pumps ant so bad.

Italian Jew
12 Dec 2009, 10:17pm

The fact that our country may be going down at an alarming rate means nothing. It matters where a country is rather than how fast it is going in a certain direction. Would you also say the US was a 3rd world country (even when the term wasn't even coined yet) during the Great Depression?

I wouldn't call your claim as a theory, more as a very vague suggestion given by someone who happens across some info on the internet that doesn't accurately correlate to what you are trying to talk about.

^ As nicely as I can put it.

Hazzard
12 Dec 2009, 11:17pm
It's not a dumb theory. The only dumb theories are the ones not discussed.

Drox
12 Dec 2009, 11:21pm
It's not a dumb theory. The only dumb theories are the ones not discussed.

Except when its dumb...

Mephisto
13 Dec 2009, 01:15am
Except when its dumb...

yeah people start saying that bout global warming too

But back to the point, developing countries does not mean there is no technology and all, you can clearly see a huge difference between rich and poor. many rich in big houses and poor starting to live on the streets, in tents. Russian has technology, a respectable military and some parts of the country are really decent, but some other became shit. You may think as developing country as Congo or such, but look at what defines a developing country.

During the great depression, the US had a fourth of it's population without a jobs, tents cities were growing and of course the nation was still ''rich'' in a way, but if you look at China right now, you have main cities that holds so much wealth and have a growing economy that could beats the US's eventually. Having a national debt of about 12 101 957 589 840.44$ adding a 3 840 000 000$ every day (1/3 of this is owed to China), how prosperous is the US really became? My point wasn't that the US was like Ethiopia, only that it was dramatically closing in on the wealthiest of the developing countries. All I am asking is to bring me official facts that proves that the US is not quickly leaning in that direction, beside just saying it is shit. Because every big social problem that we now face was viewed not so long ago as being ''shit''.

Ganzta
13 Dec 2009, 01:31am
yeah people start saying that bout global warming too

But back to the point, developing countries does not mean there is no technology and all, you can clearly see a huge difference between rich and poor. many rich in big houses and poor starting to live on the streets, in tents. Russian has technology, a respectable military and some parts of the country are really decent, but some other became shit. You may think as developing country as Congo or such, but look at what defines a developing country.

During the great depression, the US had a fourth of it's population without a jobs, tents cities were growing and of course the nation was still ''rich'' in a way, but if you look at China right now, you have main cities that holds so much wealth and have a growing economy that could beats the US's eventually. Having a national debt of about 12 101 957 589 840.44$ adding a 3 840 000 000$ every day (1/3 of this is owed to China), how prosperous is the US really became? My point wasn't that the US was like Ethiopia, only that it was dramatically closing in on the wealthiest of the developing countries. All I am asking is to bring me official facts that proves that the US is not quickly leaning in that direction, beside just saying it is shit. Because every big social problem that we now face was viewed not so long ago as being ''shit''.

Now you're just trying to cover your ass by changing your arguments and your definition of "third world countries".

Mephisto
13 Dec 2009, 01:43am
I am not covering my ass but my initial argument of ''becoming'' which includes an on-going transition. And as written in my second post on the first page of this thread: ''Some countries like Russia, Egypt and India are considered developing countries.''

edit: and I was answering the following question at the same time: ''Would you also say the US was a 3rd world country (even when the term wasn't even coined yet) during the Great Depression?'' asked 3 posts earlier

Drox
13 Dec 2009, 01:58am
I am not covering my ass but my initial argument of ''becoming'' which includes an on-going transition. And as written in my second post on the first page of this thread: ''Some countries like Russia, Egypt and India are considered developing countries.''

edit: and I was answering the following question at the same time: ''Would you also say the US was a 3rd world country (even when the term wasn't even coined yet) during the Great Depression?'' asked 3 posts earlier

Alright we all know where the term 3rd world comes from right? If not lets review

The Seven Worlds Index classifies the countries of the world according to their political systems, societies, and economies, as Liberal Democracy, Communist and Post-Communist, Newly Industrializing Countries (NICs), Less Developed Countries (LDCs), the Islamic Worlds, Marginal States, and Microstates. The British political scientist John McCormick developed this classification system in an attempt to analyze, explain, and understand the world’s international relations after the conclusion of the Russo–American Cold War (1945–91).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_worlds_index

Now where does America stand in this, well its a Liberal Democracy thats plus 1 for not being near to a 3rd world country, second human devlopment by the HDI (Human Devlopment Index).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index

If you look at the 2009 report from how US has been hurting it has only drop 1 decimal in it's HDI.

Now here is my opinion, the only way for us to become a 3rd world country is as follows; Our government would have to collapse from being a democracy, our infrastructure would have to take a huge hit from this, and as a result from this chaos the US plunges into civil wars for years to come. These are just a few ways it could happen, will it happen? Most likely not or not bad enough to make us into a 3rd world country.

I think you may be looking into it waaaaaay to much lol

Toxin
13 Dec 2009, 05:33am
Oh my god, can we just please please get Legal in here and end this goddamn argument?

Oh and by the way, what determines a first,second,third,fourth and so on country is its Human Developement Index, and not something else. HDI already includes enough factors to give a definite number of developement.

Hazzard
13 Dec 2009, 09:11am
Wikipedia? Really? That's the best you can do?

LegalSmash
13 Dec 2009, 09:57am
FNlbKNSFd6k

idk man, it just may be.

Drox
13 Dec 2009, 11:36am
Wikipedia? Really? That's the best you can do?

Yea I guess ignorance is bliss instead ;)

Phonicz
13 Dec 2009, 11:37am
LIES it will never become third world country

Hazzard
13 Dec 2009, 11:58am
Yea I guess ignorance is bliss instead ;)

I bet you feel smart. Glad to see some people take proud of that.

Drox
13 Dec 2009, 12:18pm
I bet you feel smart. Glad to see some people take proud of that.

lol feel smart? Because I know how to research and read on topics? Yea I be smartz boss ;)

Hazzard
13 Dec 2009, 12:34pm
If you know how to research correctly, Wikipedia is a horrible choice.

Drox
13 Dec 2009, 12:37pm
If you know how to research correctly, Wikipedia is a horrible choice.

Wikipedia is a good source when you need a reference to info in a hurry, I mean if someone doesnt feel I have enough or wrong info I will be more then happy to google some more. But I only used wiki to prove a point, not to show off info on the issue. lol Since it shows people what makes a country a 3rd world country, and how the US fairs in that position.

Hazzard
13 Dec 2009, 12:42pm
Understood. I feel we got off the wrong foot with each other. I don't like going away thinking people hate me. I apologize for commenting on your information, I just had some bad experience with wiki.

Mephisto
13 Dec 2009, 03:46pm
It is proven that wikipédia has the same error % as many other written encyclopedia. It is to see however that I rectified myself on the first page of this thread to specify that I was talking about the popular expression of third world country really meaning ''developing countries''. I do personally use wikipédia as a start off on my research but it is important to have more than 1 source.

Drox
13 Dec 2009, 05:23pm
It is proven that wikipédia has the same error % as many other written encyclopedia. It is to see however that I rectified myself on the first page of this thread to specify that I was talking about the popular expression of third world country really meaning ''developing countries''. I do personally use wikipédia as a start off on my research but it is important to have more than 1 source.

Well I just dont understand then what your getting at, all countries are always still developing. How it works is how far along each country goes and keeps going compared to each other, so a country where they have barely any growth in technology and infrastructure compared to one that does is some of the main issue.

Any country can become a 3rd world country if completely in danger, such as being hit with a nuke(s), or fall of one government and complete chaos afterwards. But like I have said, its very unlikely that this will ever happen to any 1st world country.

trakaill
13 Dec 2009, 11:13pm
Understood. I feel we got off the wrong foot with each other. I don't like going away thinking people hate me. I apologize for commenting on your information, I just had some bad experience with wiki.

Wikipedia is only wrong about stupid shit like taylor swift's life..stuff that no one really care about..if you look up science, computer, literature or history, politics etc.. the facts are very accurate..and the sources are often cited...

I said this in another post about taylor swift being dead and Ill say it again! So your argument is shit now gtfo

Hazzard
14 Dec 2009, 08:53am
I said this in another post about taylor swift being dead and Ill say it again! So your argument is shit now gtfo

Oh no, another kid trying to be a dick on the internet. I bet you feel really cool, but guess what, I don't give 2 flying fucks.

Thank you,
have a good day trakaill gangsta

LegalSmash
14 Dec 2009, 09:06pm

wikipedia is not a source. ever.

Caution
14 Dec 2009, 09:15pm
Oh no, another kid trying to be a dick on the internet. I bet you feel really cool, but guess what, I don't give 2 flying fucks.

Thank you,

You are a cool kid. Can I get your autograph bro?

Hazzard
14 Dec 2009, 09:22pm
You are a cool kid. Can I get your autograph bro?

Of course.....

Bad Dog
15 Dec 2009, 06:32am

Thank you,

Lol. I dont know if that was intented but way to be a hypocrite, but whatever because you dont give a flying fuck.

Edit: Sorry 2 flying fucks

Toxin
15 Dec 2009, 02:54pm

Thank you,

Wikipedia is not a source, however, it is reliable to get information, especially if you actually go back and check the source it came from.

LegalSmash
15 Dec 2009, 04:45pm
Wikipedia is not a source, however, it is reliable to get information, especially if you actually go back and check the source it came from.

No its really not a source. Ever. It can be freely edited without credible peer review... you may as well go look up info on www.encyclopediadramatica.com

Ganzta
15 Dec 2009, 06:09pm
No its really not a source. Ever. It can be freely edited without credible peer review... you may as well go look up info on www.encyclopediadramatica.com

If you're a conservative, you can also use

http://www.conservapedia.com

MrGall
15 Dec 2009, 07:06pm
fail

PotshotPolka
15 Dec 2009, 07:26pm
If you're a conservative, you can also use

http://www.conservapedia.com

http://www.conservapedia.com/Obama

Barack Hussein Obama II aka Barry Soetoro[1] (http://www.conservapedia.com/Obama#cite_note-0) (allegedly[2] (http://www.conservapedia.com/Obama#cite_note-1)[3] (http://www.conservapedia.com/Obama#cite_note-2)[4] (http://www.conservapedia.com/Obama#cite_note-3)[5] (http://www.conservapedia.com/Obama#cite_note-4)[6] (http://www.conservapedia.com/Obama#cite_note-5) born in Honolulu (http://www.conservapedia.com/Honolulu) Aug. 4, 1961) is the 44th President of the United States (http://www.conservapedia.com/United_States), and previously served as a first-term Democratic (http://www.conservapedia.com/Democratic_party) Senator (http://www.conservapedia.com/Senator) from Illinois (http://www.conservapedia.com/Illinois) (2005-2008). Obama and his running mate Senator Joseph Biden (http://www.conservapedia.com/Senator_Joseph_Biden) won the presidential election[7] (http://www.conservapedia.com/Obama#cite_note-6) after 23 months of campaigning that spent over $700 million,[8] (http://www.conservapedia.com/Obama#cite_note-7) much of it raised from undisclosed or fraudulent donors.[9] (http://www.conservapedia.com/Obama#cite_note-8)LOL.

Voltage
15 Dec 2009, 07:34pm
http://www.conservapedia.com/Obama
LOL.

Lmao, I can't believe this thread is still going.

Drox
15 Dec 2009, 07:41pm

If thats the case, nothing posted on the internet can be considered a creditable source since its always posted by 3rd parties and not the direct source in question (For example government itself having to post it inside of a news story on some random person site even tho both are correct, one isnt as reliable as the other.)

So if someone is more interested if someone's wiki link is right or not, they can research it more deeply to prove them wrong, if not then they just should not say anything about it since they dont have any creditable evidence to prove it's wrong. If they did then the conversation could keep going instead of someone just having a opinion on the info without any hard facts if its wrong.

PotshotPolka
15 Dec 2009, 08:21pm
If thats the case, nothing posted on the internet can be considered a creditable source since its always posted by 3rd parties and not the direct source in question (For example government itself having to post it inside of a news story on some random person site even tho both are correct, one isnt as reliable as the other.)

So if someone is more interested if someone's wiki link is right or not, they can research it more deeply to prove them wrong, if not then they just should not say anything about it since they dont have any creditable evidence to prove it's wrong. If they did then the conversation could keep going instead of someone just having a opinion on the info without any hard facts if its wrong.

The blogosphere is an incredible source because it soon starts sourcing itself and not actual media outlets. By all means, use wikipedia on a "he said/she said" basis, otherwise I'd suggest if you really are determined to inquire into something use an online article/scholarly journal/ Ebook database (some highschools, and all colleges/ libraries should have them) they are virtual gold mines compared to the cesspool of google results you'll get otherwise.

As far as the credibility of new's sites, honestly if it's anything that could be construed to be normative, fuck it.

trakaill
16 Dec 2009, 01:41am

Apparently you didnt read my post...while this is true...and yes you might not want to cite it in a college/university research paper... Ive found very good info on wiki before and I have used that info in a my papers and other assigments..read what I posted before..

(von dutch) delta force 8
16 Dec 2009, 06:43am
recession does not imediatly turn a country into a third world country...

PotshotPolka
16 Dec 2009, 10:59am
Apparently you didnt read my post...while this is true...and yes you might not want to cite it in a college/university research paper... Ive found very good info on wiki before and I have used that info in a my papers and other assigments..read what I posted before..

Once again, regardless of the accuracy of the sources it cites, normative subjects (like politics) on wikipedia will, and always have suffered from the plight of subjective opinions, sometimes subtle, sometimes malicious. So yes, I'm sure no one is going to talk shit about the theory of absolute zero temperatures, but there will A LOT of tweaking from different perspectives on a page for say, ACORN or President Obama. If a paper is on the line, investigate sources cited BY Wikipedia, not what the wiki article itself says.