PDA

View Full Version : Tips on map making

Sidarius
23 Apr 2007, 01:21pm
I was thinking about starting to make maps, how do i go about doing this? is there a map making program that comes with steam or do i have to download something, and any tips you may have of where to get the stuff like crates, barrells, etc. i have enough time during work to mess around and make some interesting maps.

SilentFox618
23 Apr 2007, 03:11pm
well, if you go to Steam Tools, you should see "Source SDK" (you don't need Source SDK Base). You install that, then when you open it, open the "Hammer Editor". (if you have trouble opening it, try "Refresh SDK Content" and "Reset Game Configurations" in the Source SDK menu (when you first open it). When you have Hammer open, File>New. Select the block tool. Make a square in the top right box, then hit enter (this is just to help orient yourself, helps me anyway). move your cursor to the top right section. Hold spacebar, then click and hold that too, now you should be able to move around like you would spectating in CS (you can release spacebar after you click and hold it). Move forward a little, then look down and you should be looking down at your block (basically "the floor"). If the block isn't textured, click "camera" in the spec window, then select "3D Textured". You can resize the block by clicking the red arrow on the left of the screen, selecting the object (either by clicking it in the spectator-like window, or by clicking an edge or center of the object in any of the other 3 windows, then moving the edges (can only do that in the 3 grid sections). I recommend that you keep Map>"Snap to Grid" on, but you can change the grid size by going to Map>Grid Settings then select smaller or larger grid. You can also change the texture while you have it selected by (on the right) hit "Browse..." Look through the thousands of textures, double click the one you want, then that window should close. Now make sure the right object is selected (that you want to change the texture of) and click "Apply Current Texture" (its on the left hand side). One thing to keep in mind though is that when you're finished with your map, it must be Air-Tight, or else the map won't work properly. And remember to Save your map often because Hammer can decide to freeze sometimes... like Windows Movie Maker :/ ... And with NO SPACES IN THE NAME! (trust me, won't work with spaces when you run the map). You also have to place entities on the map... Select "Entity Tool" on the left. Now look to the very right of the screen, you should see something like
"Categories:
Entities
Objects:
info_player_terrorist"
you need to place at least one of these on the map (one for each possible terrorist spawn point), simply by clicking somewhere on the map (I like to do this from the 3D Spec-like view or "camera"). When you have enough of your terrorist spawn points, put a few "info_player_counterterrorist" entities on the map (select it from the "objects" drop menu on the right). There are other types of entities, like lights, but I'm just getting you started :). If you put no lighting on the map, default lighting is applied when you run the map. now after your "masterpiece box map" is complete, go to file>Run Map... then make sure the "Don't run the game after compliling" checkbox IS checked (you probably don't want hammer and CS running at the same time, plus i don't think it works right). After it's done compliling it should have something like "copy to clipboard" at the bottem of the window that popped up, you can just hit the exit button to get out of the log (bunch of technical crap :) ). Now you can close Hammer, and Source SDK. Open CS, Create Server, select your map, and take your map for a quick test run by yourself ;)

There's a ton more you can do with the program, but rather than explain it all, I recommend you have a look over at http://interlopers.net. It has tutorials and a forum where you can search for and ask questions you have, like how to make a door, or if you have other problems with your map. Lots of helpful information there.

That should be enough to get you started, I think I covered all of the basics, if not, let me know and I'll try to help you out, and if I can't, try over at that site I gave ya. Good luck everyone!

EDIT:
And for your crates/barrels, they're entities. stuff like prop_dynamic, prop_static, prop_ragdoll, prop_physics. I haven't messed around with these too much, but I know if you go to properties (after you create/selected the entity, Edit>properties) you need to go to the "World Model" section, select browse... then find the model you're looking for, select, then ok. "Apply", then Cancel to get out of the entity properties window. the differnet options have brief descriptions of what they do, but they're not as helpful as you'd think.

G-Man
23 Apr 2007, 09:33pm
A lot of people ask me this same question, and i'm always generous rnough to give detailed answers, but the truth is, is i have one word and thats all you need- tutorials.

Henda
24 Apr 2007, 03:38pm
Steam > Games > Tools > Source SDK > Install

Once you've done that go to the same directory and click launch. This will bring up a small box, click on Hammer Editor and hammer will open.

I use the follow websites to help me with map making.

http://halfwit-2.com
http://www.interlopers.net/index.php

T-MaG
29 Apr 2007, 04:52pm
http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/Hammer/html/Hammer_Users_Guide.html

http://www.halflifestorm.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum.php

http://twhl.co.za/tutorialbrowse.php?tuttype=1&subtype=2

Few site's I like to see what people are doing, so I can get some new ideas.

The first ones just basics, and the second is a forum, so u can ask questions.
And they told me how to do an elevator for my office ;)

And, of course, u need sourcesdk

Some sites are better than others, depending on your skill level...
I used to do warcraft 3tft stuff which was a lil diff, css is mostly map design than whats going under the hood. Have fun, and just dont start like 5 projects at once like i did ;/

Kennith
9 Jun 2007, 08:51pm
Since there is already a topic for tips, I'd like to ask about light control, I want this huge metal door to close, and have it block light at the same time while it is closing. Is this just impossible? I've checked google, I've read many tutorials, but I can't find anything on this specific subject.