PDA

View Full Version : ze_arctic_escape_fixed

£cho
29 Jan 2008, 01:24pm
I am currently working on the following changes for the map so it will better fit in with the community's servers. Right now, the map is really long and boring, and I'd like to change some things.

With the help of Henda, I have compiled a rough list of what needs to be changed for it to work. The following is an actual excerpt from my notes.

ze_arctic_escape_fixed
==========================
- Time the boats at the end for 30 seconds and announce when player touches it.
- Make it so the ending water kills players who try to swim in it.
- Make new boats to use throughout map.- Fix bugs and glitches.
- Add any other cool things that you find necessary.

If you feel anything else should be changed, by all means, explain them to me and I will consider adding them to the list.

broncoty
29 Jan 2008, 02:05pm
more teamwork less first person to boat wins sorta thing i like the cading at the end tho

Jaffa
29 Jan 2008, 03:06pm
I like the cading at the end part, especially the swimming through the water to reach the platform part, it stops other people screwing their team over

wasn't there someone else who edited thisa map already?

oh and fix the jumpng on heads thing on the lifts

EvInReaLife
29 Jan 2008, 03:17pm
Yes if theres any way to disable the tking on the elevators then do it.

Also maybe get rid of everything before the elevator alltogether.

phatman76
29 Jan 2008, 04:51pm
actually, i think its a bad idea to put the boats on a 30 second timer. That means that the zombies will have a lot of time to catch up and kill the humans while they wait. Put it on a timer only if you place some chokepoint for the humans to cover or something. Or else maybe do rescue boats like in boat or island escape? I like the idea of deathwater though, as long as the boats are fixed. Unfortunately, that makes the whole cading thing on the rig useless sorta...

£cho
29 Jan 2008, 05:11pm
Good point. After speaking about this further to Henda, I plan to extend the dock and make two sections, a larger one and a smaller one. The boats will launch off of the smaller one so that humans can shoot incoming zombies off the larger dock and into the water, where they will be hurt 25dmg per second in the area around the dock (sort of like shallow water). All other areas in the water will kill players nearly instantly, though.

As for the barricading at the end, I do suppose it would be ruined with the current setup...but I do have an idea. What if one boat was for humans, and the other for zombies? The zombie boat could be on the larger dock, and the human one on the smaller dock as mentioned in the above paragraph. The zombie boat would take longer to get to the oil rig at the end, maybe 10-15 seconds or so, so humans have a chance to barricade at the end.

Emma
29 Jan 2008, 06:03pm
Basically, you're taking away everything on the map that defines the map? i really like this map. The many opportunities to use little tricks, like the surfing, fast climbing, and bunny hopping. Making the end water kill is just stupid, and ruins the map, making it like boat escape. A zombie boat and human boat... why? just don't make it death water, then it won't have to get so fancy.

I dont mean to be rude or criticize, but Ive not particularily liked any of your maps/edits. i don't think anything could be given to this map or changed in it that would be beneficial, aside from the small things like fixing TKing on the elevator and maybe making the boats a little less glitchy.

£cho
29 Jan 2008, 06:46pm
I was told to make these changes by Henda himself, and I agree with most of them. If you don't like my maps and/or edits, don't play them. I'm going ahead with this and I'm looking for suggestions, not criticisms (for once, as I'm usually more than open to criticism).

So, no offense to you, but I don't care.

Emma
29 Jan 2008, 06:56pm
>I'm looking for suggestions,

Note every other thing I said in my post. Its a popular map now. Consider that while you're busy changing everything in it.

Microshockk
29 Jan 2008, 08:56pm
The others are right. This is a long map. And it sucks when you die in the elevator or someone took the elevator in front of you and you don't know how to climb the ladder fast enough.

the first thing that needs to get fixed is the tk'ing on the elevator definitely.

phatman76
29 Jan 2008, 08:58pm
I like the innovation Echo, but you will need to test quite a bit to get the boat timing right. But I wager that doing this will make the final standoff often take place at the boats, with the humans trying to hold both... Definitely keep the feel of the map, the little tricks for speed. This map is basically a race, and by making the boats you could ruin the final leg of it if not done perfectly.

My only real problem with arctic is the time it takes, it just takes so long for one round. But the feeling you get when you are the last human, cading yourself in the control room seconds before the zombies, is unbeatable. I just hope your new version doesn't get rid of it

Paul
30 Jan 2008, 05:19am
k, i just read the first post on this thread as I'm lazy, so excuse me if these ideas have been mentioned.

Need:
- Nuke at the end
- 2 more final escape boats at the end (so thiers 4 in total) but put them like on a further away dock.
- Change the end island, its to big and no good places to hide. Maybe like a island with a pyramid on (from atix_extinction) IDK.

But the ending island could do with changing definatly.

Meep.

Henda
30 Jan 2008, 05:38am
k, i just read the first post on this thread as I'm lazy, so excuse me if these ideas have been mentioned.

Need:
- Nuke at the end
- 2 more final escape boats at the end (so thiers 4 in total) but put them like on a further away dock.
- Change the end island, its to big and no good places to hide. Maybe like a island with a pyramid on (from atix_extinction) IDK.

But the ending island could do with changing definatly.

Meep.

I forgot theres no nuke, good idea, I like the boats aswell, tbh should leave the idland as it is.

phatman76
30 Jan 2008, 04:00pm
Uhh, i'm pretty sure there already is nuke on arctic escape (it gets anyone in water or on mainland), do you mean on the rig or something?

If you add more boats make em slower, so its like as slow as swimming is now. The only change to put on the rig is a couple climb boxes next to those big red containers, give humans some more options and makes a fight for the rig a bit more fun (you can shoot the zombies right off like in island if you put climb boxes on side of containers facing water)

Emma
30 Jan 2008, 05:15pm
Ive had an idea. Make ways to get there just as fast as using the vehicles, if you know how. currently, everything is getting taken early by those players that know how to surf/bhop/fastclimb. not a huge problem in reality, because its not too much slower to walk and you get there long before the nuke, but everyone complains about it. So make surfable walls, bunnyhoppable hills, something fast on the boat path, so that players can do that instead of the vehicles.

Desu
4 Feb 2008, 08:52pm
Ive had an idea. Make ways to get there just as fast as using the vehicles, if you know how. currently, everything is getting taken early by those players that know how to surf/bhop/fastclimb. not a huge problem in reality, because its not too much slower to walk and you get there long before the nuke, but everyone complains about it. So make surfable walls, bunnyhoppable hills, something fast on the boat path, so that players can do that instead of the vehicles.

explain to me bunnyhopping. the ony escape strategy i havent heard of. And if you're going to put in the surfable walls and hat not, dont make them obvious. Its nice being the only one on who knows how to do it

Bill Smauz
4 Feb 2008, 09:31pm
- Time the boats at the end for 30 seconds and announce when player touches it.
- Make it so the ending water kills players who try to swim in it.
- Make new boats to use throughout map.- Fix bugs and glitches.
- Add any other cool things that you find necessary.

1. These are all great changes to the map. I would however maybe change the sky to
sky_borealis01 or a different night time sky you prefer.

2. Other possible map ideas are a tram heading down to the elevators instead of plunging into water.

3. New boat at end preferably a fishing boat seen in hl2 on the coast levels
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/9286/zmnv7.jpg