PDA

View Full Version : Map Idea

SilentFox618
23 Apr 2007, 05:06am
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s136/dtrain618/mapconcept1.jpg

Just a simple pic^, but basically how the map works, is it has one set of walls facing one way at the start, t's and ct's scattered around the outside... then every 10 or 15 seconds or so, that set of walls go down, and another set of walls perpendicular to those go up. like this...

this
| ________ |
|_________|

to this
| | | | | | | |
|__________|

(of course it would be more rows and coloums though... stupid forum messing up my spacing!)

I figured it might make for some interesting gameplay since you could be running away from a zombie down a hall, about to get tagged, when the walls change so he cant get ya, or the opposite could happen and the walls could change and your stuck between 2 zombies :p Plus, since there's only enough room for 1 player (or 2 stacked) in each square between walls, it would force teamates to seperate when the walls change, or they'd get crushed to death :). Could be a little chaotic, and there'd be no cheep spots :) I have a feeling it would be zombie sided, but there might be ways to fix that to make it more even (wider/narrower hallways, more/fewer hallways, time between wall swaps)... map would need to be finished and tested... and I'll change that stupid brick texture...

You could also add more floors like this or other stuff to the map, but that's my idea so far... so don't take it! :( ;)

Comments/Ideas/Suggestions? I want to make this map as much fun as possible, so I want to hear people's opinions. (even if it's "that's a stupid idea" :( )

(btw, I'm also seeing if I can make a better escape/spacestation map, not "fixing" the old one, fresh map, gonna take me a while though, if i ever decide to finish it. I'll give you an update on that if I ever get the floor plan done.)

*sigh* ok it's late and I actually have crap to do tomorrow... err today... later... zzzz

broncoty
23 Apr 2007, 06:30am
dude thats sweet idea

i hope it doesnt lag though

when you get it finished email it to zombiemaps@hotmail.com or broncoty@gmail.com and we will get it up asap on server 2 for testing then on server 1

T-MaG
23 Apr 2007, 12:47pm
huh, thats funny, i was thinking about doing something like that myself ;)

SilentFox618
23 Apr 2007, 05:37pm
E-mail sent to broncoty@gmail.com, I'll be on server 1 for now (if I can get on... always full :( ) come let me know when its gonna be tested ^_^

broncoty
23 Apr 2007, 06:54pm
im sry i didnt see ur post, we played it on server 2 it was great no lag or ne thing definitly some improvements would make it awsome but i dnt hav access to server 1 since rebuild so we will hav to ask haggard to put it on 1

SilentFox618
23 Apr 2007, 07:05pm
yea, I saw the map was on server 2 so I went to join, but the models took too long to dl (never played on that server before) :(. Oh well, I'll try to catch the map next time around, as for improvements, did you have anything in mind?

broncoty
23 Apr 2007, 08:21pm
well i almost think 10 seconds is to long maybe 5-8 would be good because holding off zombies for 10 seconds is a long time with no high ground or cade

i loved the textures and idea we will leave it there for a day see if we can get it on server 1 because we only had like 10 people when we played on server 2

if we get on server 1 we can check for lag and see what alot of people think about it

SilentFox618
23 Apr 2007, 09:19pm
Alright, sounds good, I can have that done in a couple minutes even. And how about the door speed? was that good, or should I speed that up a bit too? (not the time in-between)

Edit: Sent the updated map to broncoty@gmail.com . Door speed up'ed to 25 and refire interval to 7 seconds. Have to go to work now, so just tell me how the map works out (better or worse and whatever other comments you have.) See ya later!

Henda
27 Apr 2007, 01:50pm
Right first off I like to say it's fresh and original but it has 1 major problem.

Too Zombie Sided

People are right, it is too zombie sided, humans never win. One way to help this is by removing the sides of the maze, so once you come out of spawn, you go straight into the maze.

Another good idea presented, was making the walls random instead of them being set, this would prolly be alot of work but I think it would be cool. I also think you could work on the textures, it really isn't nice to look at, also work on the lighting aspect.

It lags badly on server 1 but I'm confident that's the server since I played it on server 3 with 32 people and it didn't lag.

Overall I love the map tbh and I hope you continue to work on it.

SilentFox618
27 Apr 2007, 03:01pm
I see... I could do the walls more random, but it would take more coding, and I would need to make a lot more doors/walls (basically right now I just have a couple LONG walls, rather than hundreds of tiny walls), I would need to name them, set them up to more func_timers, or if it's even possible see if i can figure out how to incorporate some type of a random number generator into the timers (I think there is a way, I'll look into it)... even still, I'm not so sure that would help the humans as much, it will probably cause more lag, there still would be the problems of zombies not getting alot of humans at the start, and the part where you basically can't kill a zombie on that level... (unless he kills himself)... and it's fairly hard for a zombie to get someone when he's alone... I'm almost thinking this might be better off as say a "gun game" mod level if I got the random doors and got rid of the walkway around the maze...

I WILL get rid of the walkways around the maze.

I WILL TRY to make the doors more random. (only thing is it may cause lag due to the extra activity... would need to test that out)

Textures... no idea what to do for ya there, what type of textures do you think would work better? (darker, wood or metalish, that type of stuff... or if you open up SDK yourself and find which textures you like I'll try those. would need textures for the floor, walls, ceiling and doors)

Lighting... I guess I could try making it dark-ish, I have never worked with lighting though so it will probably take me a while to get it right

And as far as everyone starting randomly in the maze... what I could do is make a second story where you can just drop down from holes into the maze where you like (then have a giant wall come and crush/kill any afk's/campers). If I got rid of the hallways around the edge and made the walls random, well there would only be about 2 places to enter the maze on each side (so 4 total). That might cause some traffic at the entraces... but then again, that might help with the problem of zombies not being able to get anyone at the very start... (I'm just speculation a bunch of junk at once...) Either way this map will definately need more testing later...

So overall, would like your opinion/advice on
1.) The textures on the map
2.) Player start (start above the maze or just leave it where it is)
3.) Any ideas to make it less "zombie sided"?
4.) Anything else you can suggest
The rest I think I can work with (lighting, randomizing doors...)

Any other comments or ideas for the map or about what I said? I want to make this map fun for everyone... not that easy when you only have 2 people giving their commentary here... Thanks

broncoty
27 Apr 2007, 03:33pm
It is really a great concept, it just is missing something, something that would keep it balanced and keep it exciting at the same time

Sk3pT!kaL
27 Apr 2007, 05:21pm
All I know is every time I get in game and the map is on, the map changes and I never get to play it :| (and I dont want to play it offline since that will take away the fun of it)

G-Man
27 Apr 2007, 10:04pm
I see... I could do the walls more random, but it would take more coding, and I would need to make a lot more doors/walls (basically right now I just have a couple LONG walls, rather than hundreds of tiny walls), I would need to name them, set them up to more func_timers, or if it's even possible see if i can figure out how to incorporate some type of a random number generator into the timers (I think there is a way, I'll look into it)... even still, I'm not so sure that would help the humans as much, it will probably cause more lag, there still would be the problems of zombies not getting alot of humans at the start, and the part where you basically can't kill a zombie on that level... (unless he kills himself)... and it's fairly hard for a zombie to get someone when he's alone... I'm almost thinking this might be better off as say a "gun game" mod level if I got the random doors and got rid of the walkway around the maze...

I WILL get rid of the walkways around the maze.

I WILL TRY to make the doors more random. (only thing is it may cause lag due to the extra activity... would need to test that out)

Textures... no idea what to do for ya there, what type of textures do you think would work better? (darker, wood or metalish, that type of stuff... or if you open up SDK yourself and find which textures you like I'll try those. would need textures for the floor, walls, ceiling and doors)

Lighting... I guess I could try making it dark-ish, I have never worked with lighting though so it will probably take me a while to get it right

And as far as everyone starting randomly in the maze... what I could do is make a second story where you can just drop down from holes into the maze where you like (then have a giant wall come and crush/kill any afk's/campers). If I got rid of the hallways around the edge and made the walls random, well there would only be about 2 places to enter the maze on each side (so 4 total). That might cause some traffic at the entraces... but then again, that might help with the problem of zombies not being able to get anyone at the very start... (I'm just speculation a bunch of junk at once...) Either way this map will definately need more testing later...

So overall, would like your opinion/advice on
1.) The textures on the map
2.) Player start (start above the maze or just leave it where it is)
3.) Any ideas to make it less "zombie sided"?
4.) Anything else you can suggest
The rest I think I can work with (lighting, randomizing doors...)

Any other comments or ideas for the map or about what I said? I want to make this map fun for everyone... not that easy when you only have 2 people giving their commentary here... Thanks

You would use the logic_timer entity for random timing of trigger. You would use the inputs and outputs to connect to get it going with the randomized timer. Check the properties...

Henda
23 May 2007, 09:52am
Sorry silent but I've removed the map for now, too laggy and people bitch about the zombie side of it. If or when you get the next version done, post it and I'll upload it.

Graves
23 May 2007, 02:29pm
Sorry, but I really hate that map. Its a great concept on paper, but its not good for a whole map. Maybe if you had a regular map, with a basement area like that, than it'd be better...but for a whole map, its just too zombie sided and boring.

Henda
23 May 2007, 02:47pm
Sorry, but I really hate that map. Its a great concept on paper, but its not good for a whole map. Maybe if you had a regular map, with a basement area like that, than it'd be better...but for a whole map, its just too zombie sided and boring.

It aint boring and adding stuff like a basement would ruin the whole point of the map.

SilentFox618
23 May 2007, 03:06pm
Well I basically agree with ya anyway, even I don't like playing the map much :rolleyes: lol. And you're probably right, I kinda think just having it as part of a map, rather than the whole map, would be a better idea, and of course have it alot smaller (somewhere between 5x5 and 10x10). I could try to add it into another map I'm working on, but if it doesn't work, I'll leave it out. Anyways, thanks for at least trying the map. See ya guys later.

Graves
23 May 2007, 03:31pm
It aint boring and adding stuff like a basement would ruin the whole point of the map.

I meant it as maybe it could be smaller and part of a bigger map. Maybe have it as a trap basement sorta thing? I don't know. Read his post above me, he said what I was thinking.

Like I said, its a great idea on paper, just is harder to pull off as a full map.

sinister1_
23 May 2007, 03:40pm
if you sit in a group in one square and watch all 4 ways your win easily i've won once or twice that way before they changed the map but i like it the way it is.

OzUN
28 May 2007, 07:09am
ok, we dont have many escape maps anymore, well not on napalm server anyway, so i was wonderin about a map we could have and i came up with one set in an airport. i dont have any pictures of what it would look like but im gonna write it down as detailed as possible.

It starts of at night when T's and CT's start off in two sections of the car park and have to run past cars that are burning and crashed, with dead bodies in and stuff. T's start on the left and Ct's on the right. the t's just run straight into the two storie terminal after running past the cars, whereas the Ct's start off on a moving truck and get driven to the entrance. The airport is white with all the little antenna's on top of it (if you have ever played battlefield 2 special forces and played the night flight map you will see what it should look like but without the gap between two buildings.. inside the actual building u have some shops to the left and to the right in a curved motion like a semi circle with the curve facing inwards. Then you see all of the luggage points that have blood stains on, and bodies etc. Then you can go three ways. 1 way is to go to the left and run through the shops and cafe's and finally get to the bit where they search you for weapons etc. 2 is the same as the left. When going into the place where they search you - you go through a corridor with a little door to enter it. and then you come to all the metal detectors and x-ray machines you find loadz of grenades and shotguns and smg's etc and you hold off some of the zombies there until the airoplane gate opens to board the plane.
The 3rd way might be a bit complicated and might not work so it dosent have to be included, but the idea was that you go through the luggage things and run and jump from each escalator. if you havent seen monsters inc then watch it u will get the idea, anyway eventuyally u get to an ext and you go through on a truck and it takes you to the aeroplane.

For the other two exits you wait 1:30 for the door to become unlocked and then you run out onto the concrete and board the plane and hold the zombies off at the back door and the front door. Once the plane takes off you see a missile hit the airport and kill all of the T's.

If you are going to make it you dont have to include all 3 exits, you can just have one if you want.

ok if you have any suggestion or you want to make it feal free.

broncoty
28 May 2007, 11:10am
i hav been a big supporter of escape maps, the problem was the lag and now that we have a dedicated server we might just be able to pull them off without lag

it will be sweet

D4rthf4c3m4n
28 May 2007, 01:59pm
i hav been a big supporter of escape maps, the problem was the lag and now that we have a dedicated server we might just be able to pull them off without lag

it will be sweet

does that mean spacestation?????

broncoty
28 May 2007, 02:18pm
does that mean spacestation?????

the problem with spacestation is its impossible for humans now and what i like about bridge escape is that it actually is balanced so i support balanced escape maps, spacestation still needs to be remade to be balanced before i think it can be used in a 50 man server

Omega
28 May 2007, 02:20pm
Would this be like the "wallswap maze" map that we had earlier?

broncoty
28 May 2007, 02:22pm
ozun i think u should make your own thread as to not hijack this one and so people dont get confused