PDA

View Full Version : Congressional Reps and Senators

LegalSmash
1 Nov 2009, 07:25pm
Who is YOUR rep/Senators for your state? What do you like/dislike about them and why?

If you really don't know, how about you find out who they are and bring it on here...look at their policies, give us an idea of what you think of them aside from "they be cool".

For our friends across the pond, is there a senator/representative over here in the states you've heard of and find particularly interesting?

Otherwise, do you think our whole system is fucked and we should be on a parliament system instead?

Speak your minds.

b0red
1 Nov 2009, 07:28pm
I want a parliament system cause they can make fun of there leader all they please because the losing party has to, its their job! But when a man stands up during a speech and says "YOU LIE!!!" When he is clearly speaking the truth, make me a said man.

PotshotPolka
1 Nov 2009, 07:44pm
I'm not a fan of winner take all politics, I prefer the German approach with two houses, one comprised of single member voter districts, the other divided by the parties and their respective percentage of the national vote.

Toxin
1 Nov 2009, 07:52pm
I'm not a fan of winner take all politics, I prefer the German approach with two houses, one comprised of single member voter districts, the other divided by the parties and their respective percentage of the national vote.

Wait.. so one house has equal reprensentation while the other one is divided based on popular vote?

PotshotPolka
1 Nov 2009, 07:57pm
Wait.. so one house has equal reprensentation while the other one is divided based on popular vote?

Both houses are represented through popular representation.
One is designed to represent parties, the other to each individual voting district's majority.

Caution
1 Nov 2009, 08:22pm
Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein are my senators...not 100% on their policies, I'll do some research later. They're both Dems, so I'm not so sure I'm going to like them much...

phatman76
1 Nov 2009, 11:37pm
Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein are my senators...not 100% on their policies, I'll do some research later. They're both Dems, so I'm not so sure I'm going to like them much...

I find them to be not the worst democrats ever, they don't make me sick. Nancy Pelosi on the other hand...

Ganzta
2 Nov 2009, 01:42am
My senators are John Cornyn and Kay Baily Hutchison. I've actually talked to Sen. Cornyn in person with a program in DC. I remembered that I said something about how I completely disagree with our current educational system. Anyway, I'm looking forward to Bill White running for the senate when Hutchison retires.

Delirium
2 Nov 2009, 11:15am
My senators are John Cornyn and Kay Baily Hutchison.

Haven't looked into them that much, but they are republican, so I doubt any of my political views are being repersented.

roach coach
2 Nov 2009, 12:15pm

I'm a democrat and they're okay, but the have huge financial interests in the music and manufacturing industries. I mean, I'm all for the economy, but if we don't need more planes in our arsenal, we don't need more planes. And they seem to be run by money... then again, it's California.

My rep is a real wiener though. His name is Wally Herger, he did some good when he let me know about this one treaty being negotiated that I asked about in a letter. But then he threw it all away when he gained notoriety for saying "Amen, now that's a real American right there" to some guy who declared himself a "right-wing terrorist".

tank40175
3 Nov 2009, 05:00pm
My Senators are Jim Bunning, and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell. And Jon Lewis is Rep. for my district. All are Republicans, and overall hold my views on most issues. Though on local news about all we hear about is Mitch. The biggest attention right now is Health Care. While Afganistan, and pulling the rug out from under our allies is being swept under the rug by the White House. Mitch tries to keep us informed on the Republicans views while the media (in general) and White House tries to keep them silent.

Toxin
12 Nov 2009, 08:02pm
Not my rep, but I find Anh "Joseph" Cao from the 2nd Congressional District of Louisiana especially interesting. First Vietnamese-American in Congress, add on top of that that he was born in South Vietnam. My role model.

Ganzta
13 Nov 2009, 03:10pm
Not my rep, but I find Anh "Joseph" Cao from the 2nd Congressional District of Louisiana especially interesting. First Vietnamese-American in Congress, add on top of that that he was born in South Vietnam. My role model.

He was also the only republican in the House to vote for the health care bill, but that's because his district is mostly democratic.

PotshotPolka
13 Nov 2009, 04:05pm
He was also the only republican in the House to vote for the health care bill, but that's because his district is mostly democratic.

He waited until his vote wouldn't change the tide too, so it was essentially to keep his constituents happy.

Toxin
14 Nov 2009, 09:50am
He was also the only republican in the Congress to vote for the health care bill, but that's because his district is mostly democratic.

He was the only republican in congress, not only the house.

Ganzta
14 Nov 2009, 10:00pm
He was the only republican in congress, not only the house.

The use of the to be verb "was" indicates something that has already happened. Considering that only the House has voted on the health care bill, I don't see the point of your little correction on my statement. By saying that he "was" the only republican in Congress to vote for the health care bill, you would have to agree that the Senate has already voted, or that you are a time-traveler who came back from two months in the future with a post you found on some other god know's what forums saying Congressman Cao was, as what that crazy ex-governor of Alaska would say, being a Maverick. Now, unless you are an omniscient being who is not limited to what our average human's perception of past, present, and future, please shut the fuck up and watch the news before you try to sound intelligent by posting your impromptu thoughts.