PDA

View Full Version : Theme Server.

Metal
18 Oct 2009, 08:42pm
Alright this is just a idea TheVirus came up with.
I'm just pitching in.

So the idea of theme was well a theme.

We could have no rtv and maybe 3-4 maps based on
Escape from Scary maps,
Escape from "Movies maps"
Escape from "maps based on games"
Escape from "pointless yet fun maps"

Movie theme
Video game theme
WTF Theme
Scary Theme/ or just dark maps
Trap theme

All in the same rotation going down the list.
This was on my mind so just wanted to spark a bit of talk.

Tyler
18 Oct 2009, 08:44pm
I would like it, just plain LOTR maps are getting boring now it would be nice to see a new theme

Italian Jew
18 Oct 2009, 08:45pm
I like the Escape from Zombies theme; it seems so AWESOME!

lol, jk

Scary maps would be good, but I have yet to see a scary CS map.

Trogdor
18 Oct 2009, 08:59pm
Scary maps would be good, but I have yet to see a scary CS map.

Then you haven't seen Lelouche's ZS map :lol:. Kidding.

On topic, It would be a good change imo.

Lucid
18 Oct 2009, 09:02pm
We need a map that has dense fog, and a dark spooky atmosphere. It fits the zombie escape atmosphere.

Movement
18 Oct 2009, 09:02pm
Support LOTR has gone boring with 3 maps

Ms. Blargh
18 Oct 2009, 09:04pm
I like Shadow's Idea of putting all the No Block maps on the LOTR server (3 LOTR, Stargate, Deathstar, etc)

Dannen
18 Oct 2009, 09:24pm
A movie themed Zombie Escape server sounds very appealing to me.

roach coach
18 Oct 2009, 09:29pm
Movie-themed zombie server sounds good to me :toung:

Metal
18 Oct 2009, 09:32pm
I like Shadow's Idea of putting all the No Block maps on the LOTR server (3 LOTR, Stargate, Deathstar, etc)

or just having a No-block server

Yoda
18 Oct 2009, 09:47pm
there aren't enough good "movie" maps to make a movie themed server. sst is boring as hell (and doesn't even feel like a movie map) and over half the team dies every round of the lost world. and even i am legend isn't that good. so what does that leave us w/? 3 LOTR, Star Wars, Stargate?...sounds like a no-block server to me. that gets my vote.

Crimson
18 Oct 2009, 10:15pm
there aren't enough good "movie" maps to make a movie themed server. sst is boring as hell (and doesn't even feel like a movie map) and over half the team dies every round of the lost world. and even i am legend isn't that good. so what does that leave us w/? 3 LOTR, Star Wars, Stargate?...sounds like a no-block server to me. that gets my vote.

I love SST!

But, I support this idea. If I get free time, I'll go and find list of themed maps. :amuse:

Yoda
18 Oct 2009, 11:04pm
lol sorry Crimson, i know ppl seem to like that map, even though i dont understand it. we really do need to add some more maps to the LOTR server.

Metal
19 Oct 2009, 05:35am
lol sorry Crimson, i know ppl seem to like that map, even though i dont understand it. we really do need to add some more maps to the LOTR server.

We are talking about a new server.
Sure LOTR had its rain of greatness, but its gone.

I'm not saying make a server based on movies.
I'm saying make a server based on "Each Theme"

Movie theme
Video game theme
WTF Theme
Trap them
and so on

Bubbles
19 Oct 2009, 10:30am
movies sounds good, as well as video games, but i dont see how you could make css scary

Desum
19 Oct 2009, 10:44am

XO People like SST because it's a simple kill 'em all or die trying map. You gotta make your last stand at the base or go for the morale victory by defending at the sand ramps after the base is taken by zombies. There's always a blood fest of bullets and zombie heads every round. Complemented by the fact zombies have a shitload of health in escape, it makes for a fun map when played right. It also requires some effort of teamwork, if one side of the base falls and a single zombie leaks in then unless you're coordinated well(Which does sometimes happen) you're gonna die.

Nonetheless, This is a good idea, but it has some flaws...

1. Is there really enough maps to disallow rtv?
2. Are we just throwing in all themed maps, even if some people don't like them? In which case we'd get a lot of variety but the population of the server would fluctuate a lot, or are we only using the good maps, in which case unless we have a lot of good maps it'll be a Lotr situation, in which even though they're good maps... NO ONE wants to fucking play them in the same rotation over and over.
3. Whats the map times going to be? Since we can't rtv, if it's too high then people will often loose interest if they don't like the map. Too low then we'll skip short on the actually good maps.

Those were just off the top of my head.. For me, i've always preferred where we can rtv and change maps freely. I don't like the idea of having a long fixed rotation.

Jazz
19 Oct 2009, 10:50am
I do not support. I like the way things are...

Neji
19 Oct 2009, 12:12pm
Pokemon!

Metal
19 Oct 2009, 12:13pm
movies sounds good, as well as video games, but i dont see how you could make css scary

By scary i mean, a dark atmosphere and also moments where you need to use flash lights and such

XO People like SST because it's a simple kill 'em all or die trying map. You gotta make your last stand at the base or go for the morale victory by defending at the sand ramps after the base is taken by zombies. There's always a blood fest of bullets and zombie heads every round. Complemented by the fact zombies have a shitload of health in escape, it makes for a fun map when played right. It also requires some effort of teamwork, if one side of the base falls and a single zombie leaks in then unless you're coordinated well(Which does sometimes happen) you're gonna die.

Nonetheless, This is a good idea, but it has some flaws...

1. Is there really enough maps to disallow rtv?
2. Are we just throwing in all themed maps, even if some people don't like them? In which case we'd get a lot of variety but the population of the server would fluctuate a lot, or are we only using the good maps, in which case unless we have a lot of good maps it'll be a Lotr situation, in which even though they're good maps... NO ONE wants to fucking play them in the same rotation over and over.
3. Whats the map times going to be? Since we can't rtv, if it's too high then people will often loose interest if they don't like the map. Too low then we'll skip short on the actually good maps.

Those were just off the top of my head.. For me, i've always preferred where we can rtv and change maps freely. I don't like the idea of having a long fixed rotation.

My idea was each map within the theme be random.

Something like this
Movie
1- random
2-random
3-random

Video games
1- random
2-random
3-random

Neji
19 Oct 2009, 12:18pm
I found something, REALLY good.

CAPTURE THE FLAG!!

http://addons.eventscripts.com/addons/view/SCTF

Metal
19 Oct 2009, 12:26pm
I found something, REALLY good.

CAPTURE THE FLAG!!

http://addons.eventscripts.com/addons/view/SCTF

CTF would be a great server.
But i think we should continue talking about the idea of a theme server

awesomebillfromdawsonvile
19 Oct 2009, 12:31pm
Is the idea here to have models to match the movie and scary themes? like aliens in space escape, or just the way the lotr server was set up?

Someone joked once about making a pedo bear escape map, we can actually make that shit happen now!

Also a teletubbie escape would be a horrifying map.

Metal
19 Oct 2009, 12:51pm
Is the idea here to have models to match the movie and scary themes? like aliens in space escape, or just the way the lotr server was set up?

Someone joked once about making a pedo bear escape map, we can actually make that shit happen now!

Also a teletubbie escape would be a horrifying map.

The idea is to have a server based on themes.

The maps will all be themes.

Movie theme
I am legend
SST
and so on

just for a example

Yoda
19 Oct 2009, 01:14pm
ok, maybe this is just me, but i really don't care about the "theme" of a map while im playing it. all i care about is the map being balanced from the start of each round to the finish. i feel that we all are concerned way too much with how a map "looks" rather then the map being "good".

PingPong
19 Oct 2009, 01:48pm
Ctf sounds awseome imo but could lead to alot of camping... The theme maps sounds awseome but are there enough maps to keep it running. All we would do is make the maps that go in these themes to make the server and i think more people would rather play regular escape. I support but i don't think this would work out

Metal
19 Oct 2009, 05:01pm
Ctf sounds awseome imo but could lead to alot of camping... The theme maps sounds awseome but are there enough maps to keep it running. All we would do is make the maps that go in these themes to make the server and i think more people would rather play regular escape. I support but i don't think this would work out

Well just spreading new ideas. BUT i did think of a new Escape idea.
Prison break escape.
Same idea but when you escape there can be traps and such or
The T's and CT's are on two different sides and when they get to the end a battle idk

McCallum
19 Oct 2009, 06:55pm
I like the idea. :smile:

TheVirus
19 Oct 2009, 07:04pm
Maybe this thread will get some attention after it's been brought up 4 times now. Come on AO/BD, give us some recognition!

Metal
19 Oct 2009, 07:35pm
Maybe this thread will get some attention after it's been brought up 4 times now. Come on AO/BD, give us some recognition!

I spent along time thinking up ideas =P
I got 4 others under my sleeve.
I'll make threads about them later this week

xVengeance
19 Oct 2009, 08:13pm
Well, a theme escape server would sound good.
But then again in 2 weeks it'll get old and there will be another thread with a different escape server.
C'mon guys, we could just push the LOTR maps back into escape and pump up the server slots.
We could just upload new maps into Escape and call it a day.

Crimson
19 Oct 2009, 08:53pm
We are talking about a new server.
Sure LOTR had its rain of greatness, but its gone.

I'm not saying make a server based on movies.
I'm saying make a server based on "Each Theme"

Movie theme
Video game theme
WTF Theme
Trap them
and so on

Or just change Mini Games to "Fun Server".

Metal
19 Oct 2009, 08:57pm

we are talking about lotr to become theme or something

TheVirus
19 Oct 2009, 09:07pm

Yeah, go do something... yellow.

Bill Smauz
20 Oct 2009, 08:03am
I believe it is safe to say that no matter which map is put on a server, it will eventually get boring. Of course I am referring to the LOTR server and its maps. Now, I have big appreciation for the LOTR mapper because those three maps must have taken him lots of work and dedication to compete. However, they have become more of a chore to play through over and over again so in my opinion I believe it should just be more maps, or any other idea people have been coming up with.