PDA

View Full Version : M.A.G.?

Octa
18 Oct 2009, 05:21pm
Just read the review, 256 online multiplayer FPS for the PS3. Looks/sounds great. Anyone else heard anything?

Ultramarine
18 Oct 2009, 05:48pm
;306005']Just read the review, 256 online multiplayer FPS for the PS3. Looks/sounds great. Anyone else heard anything?

im in the beta for it... it's quite fun, specially when the attacking side begins to reach the last areas the defenders control... gets pretty hectic when 128 players are fighting with all their might to defend a few remaining objectives while 128 attackers are doing everything they can to kick out the defenders.

Wrathek
18 Oct 2009, 10:52pm
damn a beta is already out? havent touched my PS3 in too long i guess :(

Italian Jew
18 Oct 2009, 10:59pm
Heard switching between your weapons/gear took a while or felt weird using the L2 button (and R2 for primary/secondary switch). This is probably the most common constraint on console FPS games that have more than 2 weapon/item slots for the same button.

I'd want to see a full button maplist so I could figure out whether it was a necessity to do so or just plain, stupid programming. Upon that, maybe even having different control schemes or fully customizable ones (what happened to those days?).

Ultramarine
19 Oct 2009, 01:44am
damn a beta is already out? havent touched my PS3 in too long i guess :(

The beta that is going on is currently private invite, not a public open beta. I dont know if zipper will create an open beta or not b4 game release.

Also, italian, ill check out the control layout later today, been awhile since i got on, i just got a new RPG a few days ago that i've been playing.

Eskomo
19 Oct 2009, 04:35am
I remember this game at E3 08, I could only imagine the lagg.

Ultramarine
19 Oct 2009, 06:28am
I remember this game at E3 08, I could only imagine the lagg.

Surprisingly, this isnt the case. I've had less lag in 256 player matches then lag i've experienced in CoD4 9v9 matches.

PingPong
19 Oct 2009, 01:56pm
I heard its quite good. Might buy a ps3 to play this and kh3

The Baltimore Ravens
19 Oct 2009, 02:09pm
this game seems good

Shinobi.Kirby
19 Oct 2009, 02:43pm
My friend got the beta and is gonna give me it. I went to his house, it's sick. When you attack and many defenders just shoot you all the time your like "wtf". It is awesome and didin't get any lag with a meduim connection.

Italian Jew
19 Oct 2009, 04:41pm
I'm not worried about the lag, just about the control scheme and how mindless and chaotic MMO FPS can be.

Ultramarine
19 Oct 2009, 05:21pm
im hopping onto the beta right now... ill give you the controller layout.

For the chaotic part, it doesnt become chaotic until the attacks reach the last objective or two..

At the start of the battle, you are assigned to a Squad (f you have a high enough rank, you can lead it). 4 Squads in a platoon (Again, high enough rank, lead it). Squad leaders issue orders to the squad members (Defend an objective, attack objective, destroy enemy APC... etc), call in artillery, and give leadership benefits to those nearby. You can choose to follow or ignore the orders coming from the squad leader, aka, be a lone wolf; but sticking with your squad and following the objectives gets you bonus experience. This bonus usually causes everyone to follow the orders they get so they can aquire more experience.

Platoon leaders issues orders to Squad leaders, can call in support, and have different benefits for troops near them.

Finally, there is the Commander. The commander has his own abilities (dont know, havnt reached the rank requirement for it), benefits, etc.. He gives orders to Platoon leaders, who in turn hand those orders down to certain Squads.

Now, at the start of the battle, it's mostly squad vs squad as the attackers start to take the outer defences, the defenders pull back to next objectives / defences. IE, at the start, a Defender squad would spawn at a bunker, their main objective is to hold that bunker on the outermost defence line, maybe their order would be to hold an objective that might be a bit out infront of the defence line with another squad. The Attackering squad would have orders to take out this bunker, fighting the defender squad there, or, the squad leader may decide to assist with taking out a different bunker that is the objective of attacking squad 2.

When the attackers begin to reach the last defender zone (Main HQ, attackers need to destroy 2 objectives or so within the HQ) it comes down to the full 128 vs 128, 4 platoons vs 4 platoons. This is when it gets really hectic as the defenders are doing everything they can to hold out, while the attackers do everything they can to break the defenders and win. Attacking Squads will parachute into the fray, APCs will spear head attacks into the HQ compound... Sometimes a defender squad will try to sneak out of the attackers siege to try and reset up certain objectives they lost (Artillery emplacement, SAM sites, etc) to denie the attackers air support and give the commander the ability to drop artillery onto attacking platoons.

Italian Jew
19 Oct 2009, 05:39pm
How many people can you voice chat with?

TheTruth
19 Oct 2009, 05:41pm

If I remember hearing correctly I thought before the beta, you had squads or something. I would imagine it would be chat within the squad but I don't know.

Italian Jew
19 Oct 2009, 05:48pm
If I remember hearing correctly I thought before the beta, you had squads or something. I would imagine it would be chat within the squad but I don't know.

I was thinking along something like that, but would squad leaders be able to communicate easily with platoon leaders, and have platoon leaders communicate with commanders as well as being able to communicate with everyone in their squad?

Certain situations might make it frustrating for players in different squads to communicate with each other, but I don't think the game would require THAT much strategy.

TheTruth
19 Oct 2009, 05:51pm
I was thinking along something like that, but would squad leaders be able to communicate easily with platoon leaders, and have platoon leaders communicate with commanders as well as being able to communicate with everyone in their squad?.

That would be a good idea but you could have the squad leaders talking the same time as the squad members.

Ultramarine
19 Oct 2009, 06:28pm

Well, I'm deaf so i dont use a mic, but i do believe the the chat is set like this.

Squad members only communicate with those in the same Squad.

Squad leaders can communicate with their Squad, and can also change their own channel to communicate with fellow squad leaders and their platoon leader.

Platoon leaders communicate with their squad leaders, fellow platoon leaders, and the commander.

And here is the control layout you wanted Italian..

R1: Fire Weapon
R2: Change weapon (From primary to secondary)

L1: Aim
L2: Change to gear (Medkits, repairkits, other gear..)

Triangle: Crouch / Prone
O: Action (Plant / Defuse bombs, etc)
X: Jump
Square: Reload
L3: Sprint
R3: knife

Select: Map over view, leaders use commands with this.
Start: Menu

Lordcrazy
19 Oct 2009, 06:43pm
They say they are trying to uphold their promise of being above 30 frames all the time so that means only so little lag. I have been tracking this game since they released info about it at E3 08. FYI the beta is currently private for Qore and Gamestop people (i mean Gamestop as in who preordered it from Gamestop) I don't think there will be a public beta because that would be hetic and there would be millions of people playing causing the servers to crash. Sorry about babbling but i just know too much! :D

Movement
19 Oct 2009, 06:47pm
I like the button layout and this should answer the communication question http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqjztzpDXpQ go to 9:00 i cant wait for this game but from what ive seen the grenade animations are a sketchy

Octa
19 Oct 2009, 07:15pm
well, to me it looks like a great MMO, so im getting it. Im going to have to get a mic for my ps3 though...

The Famous Zombie Hunter
19 Oct 2009, 07:25pm
I'm not worried about the lag, just about the control scheme and how mindless and chaotic MMO FPS can be.

If you wanna see first hand, check out an MMOFPSRPG thats already out called Fallen Earth. Came out about a month or two ago. Don't get me wrong, from what I hear it should still be in open beta even though its now full out released, but its a good game,and a f***ing amazing concept.

Crimson
19 Oct 2009, 09:10pm
All 256 people talk at the same time, it's pretty awesome.

( No idea - Game looks amazing though )

TheDinoGamer95
20 Oct 2009, 03:22pm
posibily soo much lag (so much players more problems), the beta have a error car (pink Car) say "Deafault Texture" WTF!!! is a beta? or Alpha? and. you see the gameplay? the most slow reload weapon ever see on my life.

and finally the game look like Crysis and Call of Duty 4 style. no tanks.

Ultramarine
20 Oct 2009, 03:32pm
posibily soo much lag (so much players more problems), the beta have a error car (pink Car) say "Deafault Texture" WTF!!! is a beta? or Alpha? and. you see the gameplay? the most slow reload weapon ever see on my life.

and finally the game look like Crysis and Call of Duty 4 style. no tanks.

Um, are you even in the beta? Scratch that, have you even played? Guess not.

Wrathek
20 Oct 2009, 04:26pm
scratch that, does he use the english language in any capacity? (i'm doubting fifth language even here folks)

Shinobi.Kirby
21 Oct 2009, 06:08pm
The game dont lag. You are crazy ! It is purely epic and will be like the best game of the year. I think for the mic, well i don't know, but you only can talk to your devision. But i have no clue since my friend had no sound when we played.

Ultramarine
21 Oct 2009, 07:10pm
The game dont lag. You are crazy ! It is purely epic and will be like the best game of the year. I think for the mic, well i don't know, but you only can talk to your devision. But i have no clue since my friend had no sound when we played.

I already explained how the mic system works.

For as of being the best game next year, God of War 3 or GT5 hold that title for me.

Gundude54
21 Oct 2009, 08:33pm
Fun gameplay but ok graphics

LinkNEO
23 Oct 2009, 04:45am
It would be fun if the damn servers weren't only up in school hours.

Taylor
23 Oct 2009, 12:21pm
While on the MAG thread, no ones really said which faction they plan to do.

Anyone know which faction they want to play as?

Lordcrazy
23 Oct 2009, 02:49pm
you must not have looked very far into heres tons of those threads.

Ultramarine
23 Oct 2009, 06:28pm
While on the MAG thread, no ones really said which faction they plan to do.

Anyone know which faction they want to play as?

My clan has decided that we're going to be Valor.

Italian Jew
23 Oct 2009, 07:20pm
Is there any significant difference between the factions?

Creeping Death
24 Oct 2009, 05:20pm
played the beta its not bad add meh xxacidxx

Lordcrazy
24 Oct 2009, 06:31pm
Italian Jew yes there is mostly play style, base themes/clothes, and weapons.

Italian Jew
24 Oct 2009, 08:25pm

Any specifics?

Taylor
24 Oct 2009, 08:41pm

Not really, the MAG producers actually said they evened out the whole faction advantages/disadvantages.

Here's the whole rundown:

VAL0R: US, MEXICAN, and BRITISH based company, the weapons are mostly Western based. The armor and clothing isn't hi-tech, they actually look more like a mix between our Armed forces & guerrilla fighters. The bases are well defended and use camouflage to their advantage. Its also hi up with technology{though not as advanced as RAVEN.} The vehicles are Modern. Again for the weapons, since they are US, MEXICAN, & BRITISH in design and technology, the producers confirmed the weapons for VAL0R are a balance between power and accuracy. {I'm choosing VAL0R since I love the US and I'm Hispanic!}

PICTURES: http://talkplaystation.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/3901447882_5397d99f83.jpg & http://talkplaystation.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/MAG-Valor-soldier.jpg

RAVEN: AUSTRIA *cough hitler* based company. The weapons, gear, bases, and vehicles are all hi-tech. The bases are well defended {Like VAL0RS.} They do however use more technology in their bases. The vehicles look to be more futuristic and armored than VAL0RS. They armor is carbon fiber based and usually either BLACK, BLUE or URBAN, {which to me is the worst since they wore black and yellow armor in a green jungle.} The weapons are mostly experimental in our world and are also German based. The weapons are more accurate but less powerful.

PICTURES: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2597/3901447192_fb21dd55e0.jpg & http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3387/3672062581_ac6575a68f.jpg

S.V.E.R: Considered the underdogs of the 3, based off of war torn Russia, the weapons, gear, bases and vehicles you see aren't usually all look like they saw some heavy action. The bases are very open and scattered, not well defended, and use low technology. The vehicles seem to be old, outdated, and rusted. The armor and clothes are usually items and clothes that they could scavenge, which gives them their goofy yet pretty cool appearance. The weapons are old, Russian originated weapons, some of the weapons are even held together by tape. The weapons are not as accurate, but they have the most power.

PICTURES: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3570/3672063281_0cd1f88132.jpg {note the hockey mask.} http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/977/977617/mag-massive-action-game-20090428110638457.jpg & http://news.softpedia.com/images/news2/Sony-Details-MAG-Pre-Order-Bonuses-Beta-Access-2.jpg

Here's a vid that describes the factions: http://www.youtube.com/user/PlayStation#p/c/E74EE9804D974BE2/3/IFEg7W1zGSU

Here's a few vids on the game: http://www.youtube.com/user/PlayStation#p/c/E74EE9804D974BE2/1/APHjcJeGNkk http://www.youtube.com/user/PlayStation#p/c/E74EE9804D974BE2/2/LoDWtFXAbfw

Then here's how the whole ranking stuff plays out: http://www.youtube.com/user/PlayStation#p/c/E74EE9804D974BE2/4/7SldViF_eRs

Sorry for the long page, just wanted to add to it. And If your wondering, here's the offical confirmed weapons list: http://www.gamersguidetolife.com/2009/08/mag-weapons-list-weapons-confirmed-so.html I know this was posted on August, but its the only one MAG has confirmed so far.

Ultramarine
24 Oct 2009, 09:00pm
Any specifics?

Raven: Uses mostly high tech weapons and vehicles. Has a clean look to them. Weapons are Western European.

Valor: Made up of ex-US military. Gear is your average soldiers junk, weapons are US issue.

Sver: Criminals, guerrillas, revolutionists.. Gear and uniforms are trash. Weapons are pretty much old Soviet equipment, AK-47s, AK-74u's, etc.

Taylor
24 Oct 2009, 09:09pm
EVERY0NE BETTER CH00SE VAL0R :P:usa2:

Octa
25 Oct 2009, 12:00pm
Just got the beta today, dling it now. add me hijacked216
and thanks

LinkNEO
25 Oct 2009, 05:00pm
Beta party tomorrow?

I'm joining Valors

My username is LinkNEO

Edit: Fuck Valors, I'm going Raven

Octa
28 Oct 2009, 07:10pm
wow, this really fuckin sucks. every time i try to run the beta, my ps3 freezes. D; any advice?