PDA

View Full Version : Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

Buca
9 Oct 2009, 04:47am
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091009/ap_on_re_eu/eu_nobel_peace

President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples," the Norwegian Nobel Committee said, citing his outreach to the Muslim world and attempts to curb nuclear proliferation....

Discuss

Jaffa
9 Oct 2009, 05:13am
Rather than recognizing concrete achievement, the 2009 prize appeared intended to support initiatives that have yet to bear fruit: reducing the world stock of nuclear arms, easing American conflicts with Muslim nations and strengthening the U.S. role in combating climate change. Really? Really?

LOL i was checking wikipedia for a list of lauretes:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7939/obamanobel.jpg (http://img12.imageshack.us/i/obamanobel.jpg/)

SilentGuns
9 Oct 2009, 05:41am
Really? Really?

LOL i was checking wikipedia for a list of lauretes:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7939/obamanobel.jpg (http://img12.imageshack.us/i/obamanobel.jpg/)

lol. Obama haters are very active at filling wikipedia with crap . Nothing new. Its been fixed already. But I agree , Obama hasn't done shit yet. They should of waited a bit longer with this and then see if he is worthy.

Waits for this thread to be filled with anti-Obama comments and read for laughs*

Jimbo
9 Oct 2009, 05:43am
Guess sucking up earns you the nobel peace prize?
What has he done to earn it accept go overseas and say how bad america is.

RedOctober
9 Oct 2009, 07:20am
wow, there were so many more qualified candadits. i know that the award has always been political but this is just dissapointing.

he shouldnt of won, all the other Presidents that have won the Peace prize in the past didnt win it till late in their respective terms. Obama hasnt even been president long enough to write enough legislation to do change anything remotely important yet!?

Italian Jew
9 Oct 2009, 09:16am
Obama hasnt even been president long enough to write enough legislation to do change anything remotely important yet!?

Because we all know presidents are the ones who WRITE the legislation...:suspicious:

Even though I can see where the committee was going and trying to do by giving him the award, it would have been better to award somebody who has at least actually done something concrete. All this is going to do is add fuel to the fire and have everyone QQ-ing.

Red
9 Oct 2009, 10:14am
lol, who gives a shit, the Nobel committee has no credibility.

They gave Gore and Carter the prize too lol.

It's sad that they award the man who invented Fiber Optic communication DECADES after the act, pretty much when the guys close to dying, yet they award Obama months into office. Hilarious.

Italian Jew
9 Oct 2009, 10:33am
It's sad that they award the man who invented Fiber Optic communication DECADES after the act, pretty much when the guys close to dying, yet they award Obama months into office. Hilarious.

For the scientific prizes, the committee is chosen by an academy of sciences. For the Peace prize, the committee is chosen by the Norwegian parliament. Also note that in order to be nominated, he had to be recommended within two weeks after taking office to meet the deadline.

The Academy takes a more practical approach to the award while politicians base their judgment on much looser standards. There is a more rigorous nomination process for the sciences on top of that. Typically, this means that the recognition usually comes much later as there are thousands of possible nominees at a given time and some have deserved the award for a longer time over others. They can also split the award depending on the subject, so those who actually make large strides in a given field usually wind up receiving recognition. A scientific Nobel prize is worth more than the Peace prize, at least in my book.

The Peace prize committee is trying to be more political and world changing plus you know of the fabled love for Obama overseas. I didn't even know he was nominated, but I guess the Peace Prize committee really wants to help change the world for the better. I do think they haven't helped at all and have quite possibly hurt his chances for doing well in certain circumstances.

Team Norway
9 Oct 2009, 02:25pm
I am norwegian and i think giving Obama the nobel peace prize is just stupid(after they gave it to al gore it all went down) the decision was made 12 days after he got into office and in those days he mostly partied and skipped church( i got this from norwegian news)

Sgt_Church
9 Oct 2009, 02:41pm

Singer Kanye West won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for "Telling everyone Beyonce had the best video OF ALL TIME!!!" the Norwegian Nobel Committee said, citing his famous meme, made this statement "BEYONCE IS AWSOME"
Discuss

Fixed

Italian Jew
9 Oct 2009, 03:22pm
the decision was made 12 days after he got into office and in those days he mostly partied and skipped church( i got this from norwegian news)

His nomination came through then; the decision was just made recently.

And from the sound of it, Norwegian news sucks.

Bad Dog
9 Oct 2009, 03:54pm
Fixed

Seriously? GTFO.
The fact that you put Kanye West into the Politics thread is enough to make me want to destroy you. Please go back to Off Topic, thanks.

Desum
9 Oct 2009, 04:12pm
Fucking stupid. Seriously, WHAT has he done? Talk about how he WANTS to change things? Every hippie i see talks about how they want to change things, doesn't mean they deserve a peace prize. Seriously, maybe if he actually had brought about less nuclear weapons, less world hunger, and more overall peace, he'd deserve it. But alls he done is talk about it.. Fuck, he hasn't even fixed the economy yet.

Red
9 Oct 2009, 04:30pm
Yeah but he's talked about maybe possibly doing it. Good enough for a nobel peace prize.

LegalSmash
9 Oct 2009, 05:40pm

President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples," the Norwegian Nobel Committee said, citing his outreach to the Muslim world and attempts to curb nuclear proliferation....

Discuss

My entire department was wondering what he invented to get it. lol.

LegalSmash
9 Oct 2009, 05:42pm
Fixed

Die of feline aids.

Simmons1114
10 Oct 2009, 12:38am
I guess if getting elected President is enough to earn a nobel peace price. Then Bush should have got 2 nobel peace prizes for promoting world peace and other stuff which never happened :)

Vigilant
10 Oct 2009, 01:14am
I really don't understand why they gave him the nobel peace prize especially so early during his term as president. :confused1:

SilentGuns
10 Oct 2009, 05:42am
At least he is giving the prize money to charity. Now thats a nice thing :)

roach coach
10 Oct 2009, 11:44am
It's pretty much a rebuke of the Bush Administration*. TBH, I think we've been doing a lot when it comes to global affairs since 1/20/09, we quit the missile defense shield geared toward Russia, we opened up a genuine dialogue with the Islamic community w/out calling for a Crusade (which may or may not have influenced elections in Lebanon). But those are just a step towards something of substantial value. I do feel that this might be a premature award, but we should revel in this, and push our government to its fullest potential where we finally "earn" it.

*Not that the Bush Admin has done 100% bad in the world, I admired their Africa policy-- their botched Iraq policies (pre-Gates and Petraeus) and "conservative" big government values alienated me from them.

Edit: Also, a president must have balls when he says "As-Salāmu `Alaykum" in an Arab country, not caring about the domestic reaction.

LegalSmash
12 Oct 2009, 01:17pm
It's pretty much a rebuke of the Bush Administration*. TBH, I think we've been doing a lot when it comes to global affairs since 1/20/09, we quit the missile defense shield geared toward Russia, we opened up a genuine dialogue with the Islamic community w/out calling for a Crusade (which may or may not have influenced elections in Lebanon). But those are just a step towards something of substantial value. I do feel that this might be a premature award, but we should revel in this, and push our government to its fullest potential where we finally "earn" it.

*Not that the Bush Admin has done 100% bad in the world, I admired their Africa policy-- their botched Iraq policies (pre-Gates and Petraeus) and "conservative" big government values alienated me from them.

Edit: Also, a president must have balls when he says "As-Salāmu `Alaykum" in an Arab country, not caring about the domestic reaction.

Its retarded to constantly rebuke something that is not existent any longer with an organization that garners the majority of its respect from the opinion that people place on it. Its as if a girl decides to get back at a mean boy by taking it in the butt from her the next guy, despite he not having taken her to dinner yet.

Itch
12 Oct 2009, 01:20pm
I believe people should be given this award for their actions not their words or intentions.

So far I don't see anything that has been done by him that should merit his receipt of this award.

Harbor
13 Oct 2009, 10:09am
This is like giving someone the MVP after pre season......

Italian Jew
13 Oct 2009, 10:54am
This is like giving someone the MVP after pre season......

Except MVP is actually a worthwhile award that means something.

ckw
13 Oct 2009, 11:28am
I think he was a good candidait, but it was to early. But I support all the reasons for and against him winning,. I mean he mande the relationship with russia better, and stuffs. Awesome:P we just had this at school lol :P

SilentGuns
13 Oct 2009, 11:31am
I think he was a good candidait, but it was to early. But I support all the reasons for and against him winning,. I mean he mande the relationship with russia better, and stuffs. Awesome:P we just had this at school lol :P

Screw Russia. Obama is doing what Russia wants - bending over.

PotshotPolka
13 Oct 2009, 12:49pm
I mean he mande the relationship with russia better, and stuffs.

This should have been on his awarding speech.

And no, he didn't kiss Russia's wounded ego and make it all better.

Red
13 Oct 2009, 01:08pm
Screw Russia. Obama is doing what Russia wants - bending over.

Pretty much.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/977/apps.jpg

Ares018
16 Nov 2009, 05:09pm
Obama is a lie.

TheTruth
16 Nov 2009, 05:12pm
Obama is a lie.

I hurd u liek 2 bump.

Applesauce
22 Dec 2009, 04:18pm
Yeah i dont think he deserves to win the noble peace prize he hasnt done anything on a global scale that is worth the award. But it is nice that he went over and personally accepted it.

Trogdor
22 Dec 2009, 07:43pm
Yeah i dont think he deserves to win the noble peace prize he hasnt done anything on a global scale that is worth the award. But it is nice that he went over and personally accepted it.

:wink:

Voltage
22 Dec 2009, 08:01pm
Come on people this is old.

wawa779
15 Feb 2010, 09:12am
Man when I saw that wiki page that you just showed I laughed so hard.. wow if that was really on there I would have to rate it a WIN, Barack Obama didn't do anything at all and I doubt any president has since Kennedy otherwise their Federal Reserve Slaves like always

Prez
15 Feb 2010, 09:54am
Bump much?

TNT
3 Mar 2010, 05:34pm
So wait... Does this mean that if I "try" to do shit, I'll get the Peace Prize? >_>