PDA

View Full Version : Empire total war on sale

LegalSmash
7 Oct 2009, 04:05am
Does anyone have it? Any impressions? Also, what kind of system do you run it in? I can run it far above the min specs, but not above reccomended as per systemreqlab, anyone have any comments on what they run it on?

I am a big fan of Mtw2, rtw, will this be a good investment?

Go!

Jaffa
7 Oct 2009, 05:12am
I'm redownloading it now off steam, not got the expansion, but there have been a fair few patches since its buggy release in spring, so i'll let you know how it goes.

PotshotPolka
7 Oct 2009, 10:17am
its fun but MP sucks. Play MW:2 and use all arqebruisers if you want an idea how it plays.

Also I actually lag in large scale naval combat, but its sick.

Lux
7 Oct 2009, 12:01pm
Can't believe how quickly I got bored of it.

Main annoyance other then MP being terrible was that my own gunners kept team killing each other....I mean come on whole squads were being shot down because they slightly over lapped so I spent more time making sure they didn't over lap then actually fighting :oh:

Lordcrazy
7 Oct 2009, 03:21pm
Luxzorz guess what that thing is called common sense so get used to it plus the patches really fixed quite a bit since it came out been playing since March... Its pretty fun but as potshotpolka said naval combat on large scale is pretty laggy ( i even have a nvidia 8800 gt and a intel quad core) so be prepared.

Jaffa
7 Oct 2009, 04:46pm
Lux is the only person i know who plays this game who actually manages to kill his own men like that...

I got game reinstalled, will try a bit tomorrow to see if campaign is improved. Tbh if they haven't fixed it so the AI can use naval units properly, i cba to play.

McCallum
7 Oct 2009, 05:09pm
I've played it before on a Steam account owned by someone else, and I had a good time playing it. I hope to buy it on my Steam account soon!

Lux
9 Oct 2009, 07:19am
Luxzorz guess what that thing is called common sense so get used to it plus the patches really fixed quite a bit since it came out been playing since March... Its pretty fun but as potshotpolka said naval combat on large scale is pretty laggy ( i even have a nvidia 8800 gt and a intel quad core) so be prepared.

No it's not, they might as well have people at the back of a group hitting those at the front if the game is going to be like that... I can understand cannon friendly fire but guns??? lame.

Lux is the only person i know who plays this game who actually manages to kill his own men like that...

I got game reinstalled, will try a bit tomorrow to see if campaign is improved. Tbh if they haven't fixed it so the AI can use naval units properly, i cba to play.

Yeah I dunno why but it can't be the enemy because even when I'm coming up against swordsmen who have no kinds of guns some of my men are dead before they even get to me.

Italian Jew
9 Oct 2009, 09:09am
No it's not, they might as well have people at the back of a group hitting those at the front if the game is going to be like that... I can understand cannon friendly fire but guns??? lame.

But that's how it was when those tactics were used. I guess sorry for that tidbit of realism? I'd think you would be able to turn off auto-fire so your troops wouldn't accidentally shoot into your own army.

The guns firing in the same group may be aligned at different levels when they are fired. From the images I have seen on the game, the front row kneels down and the second row stands.

Lux
9 Oct 2009, 01:18pm
But that's how it was when those tactics were used. I guess sorry for that tidbit of realism? I'd think you would be able to turn off auto-fire so your troops wouldn't accidentally shoot into your own army.

The guns firing in the same group may be aligned at different levels when they are fired. From the images I have seen on the game, the front row kneels down and the second row stands.

Still it's really annoying in previous games I'd just never buy the cannons because they were shit and archers were pretty shitty too except when defending sieges so I just bought swordsmen/pikes/cavs and sent my footmen in, let them do their shit and then play around with the cavalry.

This just makes it hard to have fun I couldn't even got myself in the mood to finish the American campaign yet alone start the whole game.

Lordcrazy
10 Oct 2009, 03:21pm
... sorry i meant realism and common sense..

PotshotPolka
17 Oct 2009, 12:57pm

It also really depends on the level of tactics you have researched. Earliest units don't fire by line, only the first line will fire, reload, and fire again.

Lordcrazy
17 Oct 2009, 07:12pm
Ya you have to research the technologies for them to take effect in this game :).

IntenseFajita
22 Oct 2009, 11:08am
Fun as hell game in my opinion. It is so realistic, and also when you zoom into a large melee battle it is so awesome! It's not like ordinary dull games where they charge and stand still and shit, once you charge them on the enemy with brute force, and then zoom in, you can see people throwing their weapon butts at each others face and stomach, theres also blocking going on, and amazing skill (flipping, dodging, etc..) When you get bayonets equipped to the ends of their rifles, thats when you start to see real gruesome battles. The men would fight and forcefully impale the enemy, then kick their shoulders or body to remove them from the bayonet.

Also it is funny when cavalry charge on the enemy.... the footmen would literally go flying 100 feet behind them.

Dracula
22 Oct 2009, 01:01pm
Nice bump bro.

Ngo
5 Nov 2009, 08:49pm
I'm addicted right now, been playing it nonstop in between CSS.

Slash/
24 Dec 2009, 05:06pm
I love the game so much but haven't been able to play it for about 6 months because the game doesn't support any of the 190 series Nvidia drivers with 8800gt...I might use older drivers to play the Campaign multiplayer they are going to add soon.

cjc153
5 Feb 2010, 05:01pm
slash, if you run it in window it works. Imo, the game is pretty good, but the graphical glitches get annyoing after a while. My computer can't run it well on high specs either, so i can't get the super cool battles as well. The tactics and gameplay are great.

Ngo
8 Feb 2010, 03:26pm
Game is on sale for 13 dollars on steam.

instakill
8 Feb 2010, 06:27pm
is it a good GAME??????

instakill
8 Feb 2010, 06:30pm
I Was thinking of buying it but idk if its good

Ngo
8 Feb 2010, 09:26pm
is it a good GAME??????

IMO

The earlier ones are a lot better, medieval, rome, even shogun, lol.

But it is definitely worth $13 dollars.

Crimson
9 Feb 2010, 01:12pm
If you're looking for polished Rome or Medieval, Empire total war isn't the game you're looking for.

I bought it when it released, played it for week, realized how large the game was (It's like 32gbs) and uninstalled, haven't touched it since.

Kingswat
9 Feb 2010, 02:23pm
It's a great game, NTW comes out at the end of the month and is supposedly a polished version. They need to remake rome or shogun.

Ngo
12 Feb 2010, 03:07pm
A Chinese setting next!!!