PDA

View Full Version : Writers Strike

EvInReaLife
18 Jan 2008, 04:44pm
Am i the only one who is completely absolutly pissed of that this is still going on??

Mikey
18 Jan 2008, 04:47pm
The current strike has lasted 10 weeks and 4 days, as of January 18, 2008. The last such strike in 1988 lasted 21 weeks and 6 days, costing the American entertainment industry an estimated $500 million ($870 million in 2007 dollars).

So u might want to sell ur TV for now

EvInReaLife
18 Jan 2008, 05:00pm
yea, the last writer's strikes have lasted from between 1 1/2- 2 years. This is what really pisses me off, it shows no signs of ending.

Pancake Batter
18 Jan 2008, 06:54pm
I want to see a new episode of House right about now, other than that, I don't really care.

Reunion
18 Jan 2008, 07:06pm
The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are doing a wonderful job of doing it without the writers.

Microshockk
18 Jan 2008, 07:25pm
Meh. Who watches TV anyway?

I do watch G4 for Attack of the Show and Xplay and they seem to be getting along fine, still as enjoyable as ever.

Maybe there writers aren't part of the writers guild , eh?

Kennith
18 Jan 2008, 07:37pm
I stopped watching TV, once I heard about the writer's strike.

Jupina
18 Jan 2008, 07:38pm
I want to see a new episode of House right about now, other than that, I don't really care.
agreed

Pancake Batter
18 Jan 2008, 07:52pm
House is basically the only thing that I look forward to watching. Other than that, I watch the discovery channel or old episodes of Law & Order (the ones with Jerry Orbach).

Face it, the things that the writers have come up before the strike blew ass anyways, I see absolutely no difference in the quality of shows before or during the strike.

matt 187
18 Jan 2008, 07:55pm
i just look at simpson's & south park that's what i call tv:cute::jiggy:

Reunion
18 Jan 2008, 08:04pm
House is basically the only thing that I look forward to watching. Other than that, I watch the discovery channel or old episodes of Law & Order (the ones with Jerry Orbach).

Face it, the things that the writers have come up before the strike blew ass anyways, I see absolutely no difference in the quality of shows before or during the strike.
That's because during the strike is replays; there IS no difference between before and during.

Pancake Batter
18 Jan 2008, 08:14pm
That's because during the strike is replays; there IS no difference between before and during.

Well, Conan and Leno has shown that they don't need writers to be entertaining and I'd rather watch old reruns than watch the crap they have today (except for house of course :D).

Mikey
18 Jan 2008, 08:17pm
anyone here watched Jericho? if that's a part of writers strike then am gonna strike my self.. that show was fuckin bangin!!!!

Hunter
19 Jan 2008, 02:19am
Lol has ugly betty been affected because it stopped playing :sad: Brit tv wouldnt be so bad if we didnt keep putting fat people (worlds biggest man e.t.c) shows on the tv.

Mikey
19 Jan 2008, 08:24am
Ah!! the Union!
It Always gos down to the Union!!

Buwak
19 Jan 2008, 09:15am
Screw that, im pissed cause i havent seen a new episode of Heroes yet.

I love that show!

EvInReaLife
19 Jan 2008, 02:02pm
Screw that, im pissed cause i havent seen a new episode of Heroes yet.

I love that show!

y would u want to? the season sucked.

Gumpy
19 Jan 2008, 02:19pm
yeah i miss lost....

broncoty
19 Jan 2008, 05:17pm
anyone here watched Jericho? if that's a part of writers strike then am gonna strike my self.. that show was fuckin bangin!!!!

yea i dnt like where its turning tho, i liked the whole survive nuclear attack plot, not the now theres another nuke and civil war plot/corrupt dude plot

Slavic
19 Jan 2008, 05:47pm
Whaa my shows aren't playing any more Whaaaa.

Come on people suck it up. How addicted are you to your shows that you start going through withdraw within a couple weeks. Writer strikes don't just happen to piss television viewers off, they have a purpose.

The Writers want a cut of the profits that their respective material makes online. Currently they make no money from their material when it is sold online. All of that money is just going into *insert favorite news corporation*

I think that the Writers Strike is a noble cause and I support it. It isn't easy to throw your job on the line so that you can fight for what is right.

Buwak
19 Jan 2008, 08:37pm
y would u want to? the season sucked.

Die :shocked:

LegalSmash
7 Feb 2008, 03:34pm
Whaa my shows aren't playing any more Whaaaa.

Come on people suck it up. How addicted are you to your shows that you start going through withdraw within a couple weeks. Writer strikes don't just happen to piss television viewers off, they have a purpose.

The Writers want a cut of the profits that their respective material makes online. Currently they make no money from their material when it is sold online. All of that money is just going into *insert favorite news corporation*

I think that the Writers Strike is a noble cause and I support it. It isn't easy to throw your job on the line so that you can fight for what is right.

Noble? They are a bunch of sub-standard writers, who havent put out a decent show, save house, md. and 24 for the past 8 years. This is petty union thuggery... thats all it is.

They and their agents signed their contract, they and their agents brokered the deal and agreed to the 88 agreement, and left future thought out of it.. they could have asked for a provision saying "any future form of available media or transmission thereof" and this would not be an issue. Their union reps and their attorneys fouled that up. They need to get back to work, stfu, or get lost. As far as I am concerned, they can find a whole new crop of jackass film students that will do this work for less and probably do a better job.

I have no pity for retards that sign contract without consulting all options, and disdain for jumped up imbeciles that force unfavorable arrangements through strategic labor strikes.

The studios need to hire some strike breakers.

Henda
7 Feb 2008, 03:45pm
Noble? They are a bunch of sub-standard writers, who havent put out a decent show, save house, md. and 24 for the past 8 years. This is petty union thuggery... thats all it is.

That's your opinion, however loads of people will disagree with you, house and 24 arent the only decent shows that have been released in the last 8 years, they deserve there share of the money.

Also watch how you word things and read the forum rules.

Red
7 Feb 2008, 04:16pm
Also watch how you word things and read the forum rules.

Is he insulting the writers too much?

LitKey
7 Feb 2008, 05:10pm
Is he insulting the writers too much?

Yeah, seriously... he needs to watch how he "words things"? lolz, wtf.

Red
7 Feb 2008, 07:58pm
Maybe Henda's a union member?

phatman76
7 Feb 2008, 09:57pm
Writer's Union my ass, I would just do what any smart American does: Outsource. For the salary of five unionized writers I could hire an army of writers in India.

LegalSmash
7 Feb 2008, 10:54pm
They would probably do a better job... lol. I'd rather watch Bollywood all day than some of the crap they are passing for prime time programming nowadays... Its as if they just stopped trying to write scripts, period.

I know when I call HP, "Bill" (Real Name: Sanjay) helps me out fast...

On a side note, I feel pretty bad that they make them use americanized names... kind of insulting considering that they are the ones doing the tech support. I think they should use their real names, because the guy who was helping me the other day was definitely not named "Ted".

Henda
8 Feb 2008, 07:12am
Yeah, seriously... he needs to watch how he "words things"? lolz, wtf.

Maybe Henda's a union member?

They would probably do a better job... lol. I'd rather watch Bollywood all day than some of the crap they are passing for prime time programming nowadays... Its as if they just stopped trying to write scripts, period.

I know when I call HP, "Bill" (Real Name: Sanjay) helps me out fast...

On a side note, I feel pretty bad that they make them use americanized names... kind of insulting considering that they are the ones doing the tech support. I think they should use their real names, because the guy who was helping me the other day was definitely not named "Ted".

No idiots, if you had read what he said, some of his words were insulting, while not a problem in who he was talking about, if he spoke to a community member like that, he be banned.

Hunter
8 Feb 2008, 01:22pm
When will it end tv's getting boring.

Pancake Batter
8 Feb 2008, 10:01pm
When will it end tv's getting boring.

It apparently already ended :

http://www.hollyscoop.com/breaking-news/writers-strike-is-over_14608.aspx

Hunter
9 Feb 2008, 01:05am
Finally :v_SPIN: But how long now until they start releasing the new episodes of the programmes :wideeyed:

EvInReaLife
9 Feb 2008, 09:11am
Finally :v_SPIN: But how long now until they start releasing the new episodes of the programmes :wideeyed:

It could take from 3 weeks to around 3 months.

Buwak
10 Feb 2008, 10:00am
i wanna kill myself.

LegalSmash
10 Feb 2008, 12:57pm
they should outsource to india.

Soviet
11 Feb 2008, 08:43pm
Ack! The Writers Strike Has Destroyed All Of My Favorite Television Programs! Why Don't The Corporations Just Meet Their Demands? They Don't Even Want That Much, Just More Money, Which The Corporations Have.

LegalSmash
12 Feb 2008, 06:49am
I'd like them to stop as well, but I support the companies here.

Its a principle thing, you sign a contract, you abide by it, despite the lack of foresight on the part of their representatives to take the forward development of technology into account.

If they do sort this thing out, they should get some more talented writers, or force them to write more intelligent shows, this crap "reality tv" (which surprisingly still uses writers) has overcome most of regular television, leaving us with House, MD, and the 15 varieties of L + O. They need to come up with new ideas, and have their attorneys literally SCOUR the options they are working on to determine how they want the contract to work, not crying, striking, and inconveniencing the rest of society because they have a lack of foresight and do not respect the terms of their agreement.

They should let alot of these people go, and seek new writing talent.

Red
12 Feb 2008, 09:21am
With the thousands upon thousands of aspiring writers out there who pitch their ideas to the media giants, I refuse to believe there isn't a non-reality show idea that's been submitted which kicks ass and is original.

I just don't get it.

LegalSmash
12 Feb 2008, 11:54am
Its that whole "if it works, and no one has complained audibly enough, why do anything?" mentality that has made non-cable and for the most part cable TV in the US a heaping pile.... christ, I'd rather watch Bollywood videos, at least there, the women are nice looking, theres a story, despite the humor of it, and I dont feel like throwing a cane at the TV.

Soviet
12 Feb 2008, 01:13pm
I'd like them to stop as well, but I support the companies here.

Its a principle thing, you sign a contract, you abide by it, despite the lack of foresight on the part of their representatives to take the forward development of technology into account.

If they do sort this thing out, they should get some more talented writers, or force them to write more intelligent shows, this crap "reality tv" (which surprisingly still uses writers) has overcome most of regular television, leaving us with House, MD, and the 15 varieties of L + O. They need to come up with new ideas, and have their attorneys literally SCOUR the options they are working on to determine how they want the contract to work, not crying, striking, and inconveniencing the rest of society because they have a lack of foresight and do not respect the terms of their agreement.

They should let alot of these people go, and seek new writing talent.

Well Said, In Reality, Your Correct, But Sadly, Most People Live In Their Own Bubble Of Ideas, Refusing To Accept Reason.

LegalSmash
14 Feb 2008, 08:24am
THANK YOU!

We should start a firm "reality check inc."

Zero001
14 Feb 2008, 11:20am
THANK YOU!

We should start a firm "reality check inc."

Where can I sign up?

Red
14 Feb 2008, 11:35am
www.ronpaul.com !

LegalSmash
14 Feb 2008, 12:38pm
LoL.

Its pretty sad when news from Kenya is more interesting than the crap coming from our prime time.

Also, while I like house, md. they really have to get some new stuff going on there... its getting kind of stale... plot summary gets repetitive.

1. Im a doctor, drug addict, cripple, genius
2. patient is messed up because of ____ show dramatic scene of patient getting boffed by their health
3. Think of ideas... we are wrong, we are right...
4. Hit on Cuddy, make obligatory reference to Wilson's Jewishness
5. Throw in random twist
Come up with absurdly simple answer, solve problem.

Follow each step with 2039 vicodin pills, or some petty remark about vicodin pills.

While this formula is great for one of the only decent shows on network, they should really add some stuff to the mix, because its kind of... getting old, like the story arc about him and the cop Tritter... After episode 4 of the same crap it was just... old.

Not to nitpick but I mean, If nature can stay fresh and original, why cant these people.

Soviet
14 Feb 2008, 02:19pm
LoL.

Its pretty sad when news from Kenya is more interesting than the crap coming from our prime time.

Also, while I like house, md. they really have to get some new stuff going on there... its getting kind of stale... plot summary gets repetitive.

1. Im a doctor, drug addict, cripple, genius
2. patient is messed up because of ____ show dramatic scene of patient getting boffed by their health
3. Think of ideas... we are wrong, we are right...
4. Hit on Cuddy, make obligatory reference to Wilson's Jewishness
5. Throw in random twist
Come up with absurdly simple answer, solve problem.

Follow each step with 2039 vicodin pills, or some petty remark about vicodin pills.

While this formula is great for one of the only decent shows on network, they should really add some stuff to the mix, because its kind of... getting old, like the story arc about him and the cop Tritter... After episode 4 of the same crap it was just... old.

Not to nitpick but I mean, If nature can stay fresh and original, why cant these people.

Exactly! If the plot would just get mixed up a bit, and no, Not like the show "Lost", but to the point that its not just the same story, it would be so much better.

P.s- I like "Lost", it's not a "bad" show, but they have been dragging the same conflict for 4 seasons. They haven't solved even one problem! Ooh look out here comes a freaking polar bear and a cloud of smoke here on this uncharted tropical island! I wouldn't be surprised if this series ended in the "survivors" discovering they had been on Brad Pitts private island the whole time. Alas, I will watch it every weak and inevitably buy the DVD's and re-watch them with all my friends at the "Lost Party" I'm sure someone(most likely me) will throw when the series ends.

LegalSmash
14 Feb 2008, 02:33pm
Yea.. its like Giligan's Island... but not good.