PDA

View Full Version : PS3, worth getting?

Silentfaith
24 Sep 2009, 12:27pm
Alright guys. I want some serious answers.

I currently own a Xbox 360, I see that the PS3 dropped $100 or so in price. Is the PS3 worth getting, even tho I have a 360?

Compare a PS3 to a 360, what are the ups and downs? Which is better? Is it worth the current market price?

Lux
24 Sep 2009, 12:49pm
It's all down to you....this kind of thread will attract console wars.

I wouldn't want both because I don't think you get enough variety between the two....not really worth the money unless you really want to play several PS3 exclusives.

I think PS3 is better, and the drop in price means that the cost factor against PS3 (although the online charges for xbox without it being much better made the price gap small anyway) is meaningless.

LegalSmash
24 Sep 2009, 01:05pm

I currently own a Xbox 360, I see that the PS3 dropped $100 or so in price. Is the PS3 worth getting, even tho I have a 360?

Compare a PS3 to a 360, what are the ups and downs? Which is better? Is it worth the current market price?

yes

Italian Jew
24 Sep 2009, 01:19pm
They are both worthwhile depending on what games you like and how you play them. If you want to play a lot of exclusive PS3 games, then go ahead and buy it (but you won't have backward compatibility for PS2 games with the new PS3 model).

You could just buy it as a Blu-Ray player first and a gaming console second (as I did with the original model of PS3). You'd have a Blu-Ray player and if you wanted a specific game or two, you could buy them for the PS3.

However, if you don't have any interest in Blu-Rays and/or many PS3 games, you'd be better off buying other things that you would use more.

Ultramarine
24 Sep 2009, 01:28pm
Worth it, Reasons:

Free Online (PSN is only missing a few features that XBL has, while almost every PS3 exclusive online game uses dedicated servers, unlike P2P that is used for all 360 games {except for Frontline: Fuels of War})

Blu-Ray (Unless you already ave a BR player, this is a great edition, specially if you have a 1080p HDTV)

Web browser (Redtube {NSFW} on my HDTV? sweet. But you wont use often)

The Fat PS3 models can have a Linux OS installed onto them, and you can set emulators on your PS3 with that, i havnt tried this so you'd have to youtube this to see what it is like.

Lastly, games, which is probably most important to you anyways :P

If you're going to get a PS3, then i'd recommend getting these games that came out already:

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune
Metal Gear Solid 4

Killzone 2

dJBPHAJgXyc

Warhawk
Infamous
Motorstorm 2
Resistance 2
Socom Confrontation

Then upcoming games:

Uncharted 2, coming out October 13th

vPp9_ye5Fhc

http://www.ps3center.net/news/3734/infinity-ward-on-uncharted-2-you-must-buy-this-game/

Even Robert Bowling from Infinity Ward said this game was a must buy.

God of War III, March 2010

GOhbwu_xL10

GT5, March 2010

juhSGMLutx4

MAG: Shadow War, ETA 2010

MAG is going to be the first Console FPS to have 256 online player, 128 vs 128.

Command structure goes like this, highest ranked person with most leader ship points gets Command slot, he is in charge of 127 fellow troopers, 4 platoons, 32 people per platoon. The command can call in airstrikes, artillery strikes,forward helicopter spawns, etc, and issues orders to Platoon leaders. Platoon leaders can call in artillery strikes and airstrikes, and issue orders to Squad leaders. Squad leaders give out the orders they recieved to the other 7 members of the Squad.

Example, The Command gives Platoon 1 the objective of handling the Northern front, defending or attacking the bunkers and Barricades there. The Platoon leaders will assign Their Squads to defend parts of the front. Squad 1 may be ordered to defend the eastern most bunker, while Squad 2 could have an order to take out enemy Armor, Squad 3 / 4 would get their own orders.

The beginnings of the battles mostly are Platoon fighting the enemy Platoon, but later on, as the attackers push further, the fighting will involve more and more platoons, until the attackers start to reach their goal, then all 8 platoons will be fighting in the same area, Defenders trying to hold their last ground, and attackers trying to kick them out and capture / destroy the final objective... gets extremely hectic when it comes to end. having attacking squads reinforcing the attack by parachuting into the fray, Platoon leaders issues orders, airstrikes, artillery strikes... your adrenaline really starts pumping in overtime during this part of the battle.

My advise, get the PS3, that way you dont miss out on any great games that come out exclusively for it.

Italian Jew
24 Sep 2009, 01:43pm
way to proselytize :thumb:

Farmer Mick
24 Sep 2009, 01:58pm
OnklhEh3NJM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnklhEh3NJM

all i have to say

Ultramarine
24 Sep 2009, 02:38pm
OnklhEh3NJM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnklhEh3NJM

all i have to say

http://www.gmrfm.com/home/2009/9/17/sonys-letter-to-bbcs-watchdog.html

way to proselytize

He asked for reasons, i gave him some.

Gundude54
24 Sep 2009, 08:26pm
Xbox360 owns and if u even get it u would have a hard time choosing what game to get for which console

another thing is whats ur kind of gaming?

shooting games like cod,gears of war, halo, and others is mostly for the xbox360

ps3 is not for shooting games because of the controller but its good on all otherr games and same as xbox360

Italian Jew
24 Sep 2009, 08:28pm
Well, we tried, but we can't have a decent topic about a console without some dumbasses going overboard.

Tyler
24 Sep 2009, 08:38pm
It all depends on what you like, I went with a 360 because they have dedicated servers so you dont have lag, where ps3 someone else is hosting it so you will get lag alot more often then 360

ps3 has bluray but 360 has netflix which has ALOT of watch instantly movies if you have it

360 is getting face book,last fm, and some more things added.

They both have there pros and cons and are basically the same system besides a some different features and a ps3 is the same price as an Elite.

I like my elite but im going to buy a ps3 soon because some of the ps3 only games though

Jazzyy
24 Sep 2009, 09:03pm
It depends what you like really, the 360 is more of the fps and sports game consoles, while the ps3, like its brothers, is all about the plot, the fun, and the rpgs.
I'd like to see some more DISCWORLD ps3 style but oh well, as for 360 'getting stuff', you have to take in to account if you get hte normal ps3 you can get linux which has buttloads of stuff, however the slim doesn't have that.

Bad Dog
24 Sep 2009, 09:56pm
Personally, I love them both. I use my PS3 more for singleplayer then anything, because I have a 360 (Had) for multiplayer with friends. Ive been playing PS3 a lot lately and it is good, definatley worth the cost. Add me if you get it, Squee210.

Ultramarine
24 Sep 2009, 10:07pm
It all depends on what you like, I went with a 360 because they have dedicated servers so you dont have lag, where ps3 someone else is hosting it so you will get lag alot more often then 360

ps3 has bluray but 360 has netflix which has ALOT of watch instantly movies if you have it

360 is getting face book,last fm, and some more things added.

They both have there pros and cons and are basically the same system besides a some different features and a ps3 is the same price as an Elite.

I like my elite but im going to buy a ps3 soon because some of the ps3 only games though

you should probably do some research...

Every PS3 exclusive uses dedicated servers (Except for Motorstorm 1 / 2 i believe)

The only 360 games that uses dedicated servers is frontlines Fuels of war and the upcoming Section 8 i believe.

Halo, Gears, they both use P2P... most console games do, CoD4, CoDWaW, BattleField 1943, Bad Company...

Italian Jew
24 Sep 2009, 11:06pm
you should probably do some research...

Every PS3 exclusive uses dedicated servers (Except for Motorstorm 1 / 2 i believe)

Not every PS3 exclusive minus that uses dedicated servers. All games for both consoles can uses P2P, but some on both are also equipped with dedicated servers. It is up to the developer, not the console company, on whether dedicated servers are made available and since it would be expensive to host a large array of dedicated servers, most companies do not do so.

The only 360 games that uses dedicated servers is frontlines Fuels of war and the upcoming Section 8 i believe.

L4D, UT3, and EA games use dedicated servers on the 360 as well as those two.

PS3 has Killzone 2, Resistance 2, UT3, and Warhawk (plus the EA games).

Those are the only games I could find real evidence to show that they have dedicated servers, so if you want to add others, include something to back it up.

No company would deliver a sufficient supply of dedicated servers unless they had A LOT of money (only EA I think). The other companies use P2P when their dedicated servers are full. You can also run your own dedicated servers for both Xbox and PS3 games, but you need a little know how to do so.

The dedicated servers also only really matter on large scale games (i.e. MAG). Most everything else will work fine and most complaints against PSN have nothing to do with Sony, but with the game companies. If there is a problem with XBL, you just have to fix your settings with XBL and you should be fine for just about all the games. I will say that most problems on both sides are caused by faulty internet connections and have nothing to do with either PSN or XBL.

Silentfaith
25 Sep 2009, 09:41am
Thanks for the feedback, i think im gonna buy one. Lol

Shinobi.Kirby
25 Sep 2009, 04:40pm
Man i love both. PS3 because there exclusive games are good. Buy it. But X360 is still good ^^

Movement
25 Sep 2009, 04:59pm
Worth it, Reasons:

Free Online (PSN is only missing a few features that XBL has, while almost every PS3 exclusive online game uses dedicated servers, unlike P2P that is used for all 360 games {except for Frontline: Fuels of War})

Blu-Ray (Unless you already ave a BR player, this is a great edition, specially if you have a 1080p HDTV)

Web browser (Redtube {NSFW} on my HDTV? sweet. But you wont use often)

The Fat PS3 models can have a Linux OS installed onto them, and you can set emulators on your PS3 with that, i havnt tried this so you'd have to youtube this to see what it is like.

Lastly, games, which is probably most important to you anyways :P

If you're going to get a PS3, then i'd recommend getting these games that came out already:

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune
Metal Gear Solid 4

Killzone 2

dJBPHAJgXyc

Warhawk
Infamous
Motorstorm 2
Resistance 2
Socom Confrontation

Then upcoming games:

Uncharted 2, coming out October 13th

vPp9_ye5Fhc

http://www.ps3center.net/news/3734/infinity-ward-on-uncharted-2-you-must-buy-this-game/

Even Robert Bowling from Infinity Ward said this game was a must buy.

God of War III, March 2010

GOhbwu_xL10

GT5, March 2010

juhSGMLutx4

MAG: Shadow War, ETA 2010

MAG is going to be the first Console FPS to have 256 online player, 128 vs 128.

Command structure goes like this, highest ranked person with most leader ship points gets Command slot, he is in charge of 127 fellow troopers, 4 platoons, 32 people per platoon. The command can call in airstrikes, artillery strikes,forward helicopter spawns, etc, and issues orders to Platoon leaders. Platoon leaders can call in artillery strikes and airstrikes, and issue orders to Squad leaders. Squad leaders give out the orders they recieved to the other 7 members of the Squad.

Example, The Command gives Platoon 1 the objective of handling the Northern front, defending or attacking the bunkers and Barricades there. The Platoon leaders will assign Their Squads to defend parts of the front. Squad 1 may be ordered to defend the eastern most bunker, while Squad 2 could have an order to take out enemy Armor, Squad 3 / 4 would get their own orders.

The beginnings of the battles mostly are Platoon fighting the enemy Platoon, but later on, as the attackers push further, the fighting will involve more and more platoons, until the attackers start to reach their goal, then all 8 platoons will be fighting in the same area, Defenders trying to hold their last ground, and attackers trying to kick them out and capture / destroy the final objective... gets extremely hectic when it comes to end. having attacking squads reinforcing the attack by parachuting into the fray, Platoon leaders issues orders, airstrikes, artillery strikes... your adrenaline really starts pumping in overtime during this part of the battle.

My advise, get the PS3, that way you dont miss out on any great games that come out exclusively for it.

this and in this economy do u really want to spend money to be online when there is a cheaper alternative

TheTruth
25 Sep 2009, 05:47pm
Just get it. I'm going to get one mostly for the bluray player.

Italian Jew
25 Sep 2009, 05:52pm
this and in this economy do u really want to spend money to be online when there is a cheaper alternative

If you can't afford $50 for 13 months, then I don't think buying any console would be wise if you are one that kind of budget.

Metal
25 Sep 2009, 06:01pm
i say get them all.
So far i got DS,DSi,PSP,Wii,360,Xbox,Ps2

it like them all, but to me 360 is for online game and good RPG's
while ps3 for the more better FPS

xVengeance
25 Sep 2009, 06:21pm

I would get the Ps3 just for Final Fantasy 13 vs XIII ( thats the title i think :o ) THAT GAME LOOKS AWESOME! :D

Reggie
25 Sep 2009, 06:53pm
I am a 360 fanboy and ill say go but that PS3
Reggie Out :thumb:
BTW MY GAMER TAG is GLTSREGGIE

Creeping Death
26 Sep 2009, 09:15pm
get it bro especially now when its a price drop and its slim wit a bigger hard drive

LegalSmash
27 Sep 2009, 04:55am
I've had a PS3 since Spring 08.

Pros: reliable, no system instability or death. I cannot fathom owning a 360, or a 360 E, because 3 of my cousins, as we as several of my friends from school have had their models flat out brick on them repeatedly, due to red ring of death and similar malfunctions, one fellow in particular having this happen to him no less than 5 times before the elite super sex fiend model addressed the issue.

My issue with the RROD and other related problems is that I am a naturally high strung and anxious person, and having a system, or really, ANYTHING, that I paid 100+ for go dead on me, despite warranty coverage, will through me into a tizzy. If you are like that, I'd say go with reliability of the PS3.

The graphics, sound, etc are substantially similar in my eyes. I think PS3 gets brighter color and sharper clarity in some aspects, and has a greater amount of future readiness, having a larger amount of system power, However, Xbox had the jump on market command due to releasing earlier and garnering a larger amount of customers, as well as having a much lower price point for several years.

IMPORTANT: certain comments here say that there is back compatibility with ps and ps2 games, while this may be the case with the fatboy model, the slim model does NOT contain back compatibility. If I were not able to play my PS2 games (which I have considerably more of) I would never have bought a console of this gen.

Game selection: Honestly, tomatoe, tomato, aside from piss poor continual remakes of halo and metal gear, is there ANY difference to game catalog? Surely, there are gears, if you like gears, and there is resistance and killzone, which I am partial to... but aside from that there is no groundbreaking exclusive release going on.... GTA released on both platforms, Square-enix is releasing FF on BOTH platforms... im sure the next MG game, whatever the abortion will be, will release on both platforms.

Video game designers like money... they are not concerned with turf wars and rep the way console designers pretend to be.

Lastly, the real kicker for me was an online service I could play for free. I don't believe in paying for something that should be included gratis. Especially when the servers are populated by hooting imbeciles, such as in XBL. I'll say that PSN has gotten more annoying... I w ish I could just start a game rather than start off with my icon on PS store... or whatever abortion they did now... but whatever it is, its free, and its serves its purpose... me playing games with my cousins I can't see.

I say get a PS, as its a more stable, now affordable, and technologically solid system with the added benefit of bluray (which can be a talking point to your parents for buying a console).

BTW: people who's parent buy them consoles crack me up... I bought my own PS, PS2, and PS3... bitches.

StrykerSwat
27 Sep 2009, 05:39am
the PS3 is really nice

btw Ultramarine,u forgot about MGS4 :D

but it is a good system to play,i sometimes go in Sony's Internet Browser and it runs great,it can even run SG website, btw its true what Gundude said about the FPS in PS3
sometimes the controls are nice and easy for example Killzone 2
and sometimes they are hard and confusing, example Resistance 2

plus it has blu-ray, after my brother bought the Dark Knight on blu-ray now i want movies on blu-ray
plus i am telling my sister to buy Toy Story 1 and 2 on blu-ray(if its on blu-ray) for my baby nephew's 1st b-day

its really worth for a lot of games there plus the movies if u like movies

Flash_whAt.?
28 Sep 2009, 09:59pm
i think i might get PS3 for like 3 reasons
1. The Price dropped like crazy
2. It can play blue ray (and i have a 40in HD LCD tv in my room)
3. Graphics are sick

i also have a 360 which i was gunna sell but im not cause its great to have when people are over and its also good to have for madden

Thorio132
5 Nov 2009, 02:21pm
ps3 is not that great. i have the 360 and the ps3. id much rather play my 360. there r really only a few good exclusives for the ps3 /=

Lucid
5 Nov 2009, 08:30pm
I enjoy my PS3.

By the end of the year, I will have spent $0 in batteries for my controllers. Unlike the Xbox...

TheTruth
5 Nov 2009, 08:33pm
If you have a 360 get a PS3. I'm getting one just for blue ray until the multiplayer gets better than 360's.

Lordcrazy
6 Nov 2009, 08:52pm
I say that the PS3 is worth more than it is now get it before they raise the price again...

Ultramarine
7 Nov 2009, 09:25am
I say that the PS3 is worth more than it is now get it before they raise the price again...

Raise the price? Console manufacturers dont raise prices after cutting the price.. a year or two from now, the PS3 will have another price cut.

Lordcrazy
8 Nov 2009, 10:13am
You never know in this economy O_O.

SoulKeeper
8 Nov 2009, 11:38am
PS3 is going to start charging for live. Its worthless now.

Ultramarine
8 Nov 2009, 12:03pm

Please, show me the article where you found this so i can have a few lols.

Websites looking for hits and trying to bash sony / PS3 have been saying "PSN GOING TO BE CHARGED NOW KEKEKE" for years.

Tyler
8 Nov 2009, 12:23pm
If you have a 360 get a PS3. I'm getting one just for blue ray until the multiplayer gets better than 360's.

Thats what I did, also I really wanted to play killzone 2

TheTruth
8 Nov 2009, 12:27pm
You never know in this economy O_O.

Why would they raise the price in this economy?

Lux
8 Nov 2009, 12:54pm

I've heard people saying PS3 will start charging and Live will become free, but it's just trolls until I see some actual proof.

TheTruth
8 Nov 2009, 01:36pm
Live will become free

You sure you ever saw that?

Lux
8 Nov 2009, 02:16pm
You sure you ever saw that?

I did see it, as I said...I heard it. From who??? Unreliable sources.