PDA

View Full Version : Entdata/limit?

SonicTheHitManHog
18 Sep 2009, 05:50pm
After compiling and testing my map for about 2~3 complete rows (12~15mins), I checked back at my log and saw the entdata gone way over the limit (VERY FULL!), however, it didn't effect my play testing so, I wanted to know if I'd go into multiplayer would the whole map screw up then, or am I ok, but just pushing it since it says "variable" instead of a true limit, or lastly should I just cut down on some of the entity detail?, thx.

Bob Loblaw
18 Sep 2009, 07:37pm
Wowzorz. Not sure what your map has, but it must have A LOTTTT of entities.

I would try simplifying some things if possible, but I don't *think* that it will hurt anything, so long as things are running fine when testing.

Kaemon
27 Sep 2009, 08:36pm
I would advice to never go over 100% of EntData.

It won't happen X or Y for having it at 144%; but many things can happen.
For starters; your map crashes my hl2.exe, 3 times in 3 rounds; so I just have to leave the server when they switch to ze_thriller (I guess thats the map you are showing the info here).

Also, in some early versions of ze_Death_Star; Freeze had the entdata over 115% I think.
Usually nothing happened when testing for a long time on singleplayer; or in the first rounds on the server with many people; but after some rounds (from 2 to 20, depending of the people, the server, and probably the luck) some triggers were randomly starting to fail (doors not opening, trigger hurts not working, etc...) so he had to reduce it in order for the map to be playable.
A more visible and newer example would be ze_Paranoid, that its allready on the RUN BITCH RUN server. Have you played it? If you played it for a while I'm allmost sure you must have seen some glitchs and bugs; the most visible one being that the "force shield" at the very begging that must open for the round to start won't open...
Hannibal (the maker) its pretty sure that those glitchs are due to the server having to handle too much EntData for too many rounds; and he is allready working on reducing it for the next version; in order to fix those problems (that are game breaking and need of an Admin on the server to restart the round, RTVing or waiting for 7 minutes doing NOTHING).

If you don't have any problem at all playing for a long time in a full server; I won't care a lot about it (you should try however to reduce it if posible; and try to don't have that much EntData on your next map).
But if something starts to happen; like a Trigger not Activating, a Door not opening (or closing) when it has to, or the Trigger Hurt not killing Humans or Zombies; It may be because of the Ent_Data.

Right now I would worry more about the low FPS on the map (since I seem to be the only one having the .exe crashing on the map, XD). I told you to add fade distance to your Props on the ze_thriller thread; but you seemed to just ignore me :-s

You may be interesed to look tutorials about: areaportals and occluders.
I guess you know how to use and use func_details on your map; if not, you should try to look a tutorial for them too.
Maybe you are interested in this mini-guide I did; I explain quite well why and how Func_Details improve the FPS, aswell as other various things for starters:
http://forum.i3d.net/cs-source-work-progress/68195-basic-hammer-knowledge-guide.html

I would probably end postting it (revised and maybe a little improved) on the SG Tutorials Sub-Forum; but right now I'm quite new here and I would prefer to wait and see if I like the ambient here and such.