PDA

View Full Version : putting custom textures in maps. QUESTION!

spartan 117
6 Sep 2009, 10:04pm
so, yeah im in the progress of making a map for the napalm server, the map is called zm_cylinders. it has 2 custom textures. one is a [SG] banner that advertises this website, the other is a texture that points out that a certain are, is certainly NOT a secret teleporter. i put them in my css materials folder, but in hammer and ingame they show up as checker squares. they are proper vmt, vtf format textures, but they dont seem to work. can someone guide me on what i did wrong?

Bob Loblaw
6 Sep 2009, 11:04pm
Rather than saying you did this this and this properly, and correct, tell us exactly what you did because obviously something was not done correct.

Basically create the picture and save as png. Then bring into vtfedit and save it to cstrike materials folder with auto create vmt checked off. Once your vtf and vmt are in cstrike materials folder then you can close out hammer and reopen it and it should be in there and working properly. If there is an alpha layer you have to open up the vmt and add "$translucent" 1 to it..

spartan 117
7 Sep 2009, 08:51am
oh so thats what i did wrong, i imported them from jpeg format and just saved it as vmt, vtf right away not paying attention to variables. thanks.

Prez
7 Sep 2009, 10:26am
I have a great tutorial I use for textures..

link:
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbEGj8kCLx4&feature=channel
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCwLLcyp_ZA&feature=related

It uses VTEX, a custom texture program that comes with Source SDK.

I use it, and it's easy as pie to do.

Hope this helps! :D

Boobcake
8 Sep 2009, 01:36am
Im not sure but I think you can just save it as a targa in it will be in your texture list.

Prez
8 Sep 2009, 01:28pm
Not quite, but close.

You first get the picture. Open it up in an image-editing program (i.e. photoshop or GIMP), and resize it to dimensions that are powers of 2. I tend to go for 512x512, because it's easy to work with. Next, after it's resized and edited so you like it, you save it as a TGA (Targa) file. You were right about that boobcake. The next steps are explained in the videos I posted, and they're tedious to retype. I suggest you take a look at those, and see how it works out.