PDA

View Full Version : [Abandoned] Deathrun_Climb

Krazy
6 Sep 2009, 01:17am
Deathrun_Climb

Total Time Spent on map to date:

2-3 hours

What is my map about?

This is going to be a deathrun map with a climbing theme. Inspiration for this map came from all the jump maps that i use to play on.

Completion Percentage?

About 8% (Mostly Planning)

Current Map Plans/ What I will be doing:

Well the map starts out on land that is at the base of a mountain, and on the other side is a lake. If you fall into the lake you instantly die. After dodging several traps at the base of the mountain you proceed into part 2 of the map. That part is crossing a bridge leading into a cave. On this bridge i plan to have several traps including a wind trap and a floor breaking trap. After the bridge part you proceed into a cave where you have to dodge several other traps. the theme for the cave will be fire and spike style traps. I already plan on having a Stalactite falling trap in there, and maybe an uncontrolled trap where flames shoot out of the wall on different sides and you have to dodge them while trying to proceed down the hallway. Also i would like to include a water section in the cave where you can drown in water if the T's press the button when your in it. After the cave section you will proceed into phase 4 of the map. The purpose of the other phases was to bring the player to a height that they can die from falling damage. Phase 4 will focus on traps that will cause players to miss the jumps that they will have to make to get up the mountain. Phase 5 (Possibly) will be the snowy peak of the mountain and will have ice style traps on it. If i do make phase 5, which i haven't decided yet, it will feature at a giant snowball trap, and maybe some others.

Although it may seem like i have the map planned out already because of my post, i would still like some trap ideas from people. After I complete making phase 1 and 2 of the map tomorrow i will post some pictures.

Jazz
6 Sep 2009, 01:44am
Screeniez please.

Bob Loblaw
6 Sep 2009, 12:35pm
Sounds very cool :) Goodluck.

Krazy
6 Sep 2009, 01:03pm
Screeniez please.

ill tell you right now that the screenshots that i will take do not show how the map will look in the final version. Currently i am focusing on making all of the traps work and then after that i will go back and make the map look nice.

Krazy
6 Sep 2009, 03:19pm
Status Update (9/6/09):

I am currently experiencing some difficulties with the new lighting system i added into the beginning of the cave area. This problem causes the map to crash when i try to load it. I will have the screenshots of the map up by tomorrow after i fix this bug.

Prez
6 Sep 2009, 05:17pm
If you ever need help with it, like for instance that lighting problem, hit me up via PM or STEAM chat, and I'll be glad to help fix the bugs.

As for the idea, I simply love it! I love climb/jump maps, and I do them all the time. I also play deathrun a lot too, so the combination of the two would simply be superb.

Good luck! Hope it turns out great!

ReplySF
6 Sep 2009, 07:18pm
It sounds like it'll be a very nice map! Good luck with this! If you ever need testers private message me on here and I'll give you my steam so that you can add me and such, I'll be glad to test it. :)

Krazy
6 Sep 2009, 09:05pm
Status Update (9/6/09):

I just fixed the problem that was caused by the fire entities that i was using to light the cave area. Screenshots will be up by tommarow.

ReplySF
6 Sep 2009, 09:16pm
Status Update (9/6/09):

I just fixed the problem that was caused by the fire entities that i was using to light the cave area. Screenshots will be up by tommarow.

Can't wait to see them!!

Jazz
7 Sep 2009, 11:20am
ill tell you right now that the screenshots that i will take do not show how the map will look in the final version. Currently i am focusing on making all of the traps work and then after that i will go back and make the map look nice.

Alright, good luck!

Krazy
7 Sep 2009, 04:06pm
Status Update (9/7/09):

Note: This screenshots only show the traps and the basic map i built around it. The map Will look better by the final version but right now i am just focusing on making the map work.

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp142/krazykraka3/deathrun_climb0000.jpg

This picture shows the first trap location where the floor disappears and players fall into the spike pit below. The tree in the picture marks the location of the beginning of the trap.

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp142/krazykraka3/deathrun_climb0001.jpg

The second trap is at the corner of the bottom of the mountain. This trap when pressed causes the block that is in the middle of the water to sink.

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp142/krazykraka3/deathrun_climb0002.jpg

This trap is shown from the T's perspective. When the T pushes the button the rocks above them are pushed out onto the ct's. You can also see part of the Phase 2/3 sections of the map in this picture, but i do not have them 100% completed (Traps working) yet so i am not going to post screenshots of it.

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp142/krazykraka3/deathrun_climb0003.jpg

This is the first part of the map where the elevation changes. The ladder was put in there to move players to a height where they can take falling damage. I decided to put an electric trap onto it to add another trap to phase 1 of the map. There is also a hint of an Easter Egg in this picture.

So those pictures show the basic layout of the first floor. I did not want to post an overview of the map yet though because i have other parts that i am still working on. I plan on changing the CT' spawn from a grassy area, onto more of a beach type setting. The tree shown in trap 1 I plan on moving that closer to the water side. If you have any other suggestion please post them here.

ReplySF
7 Sep 2009, 10:48pm
Nice! Good job so far!!

Tfrag
7 Sep 2009, 11:07pm
can't wait to play the map!

Bob Loblaw
8 Sep 2009, 05:59am
Just a suggestion, but try making everything less blocky. Use more displacements and such since, as I'm sure you know, real life doesn't have naturally occurring blocks anywhere really Oo.

Krazy
8 Sep 2009, 12:48pm
Just a suggestion, but try making everything less blocky. Use more displacements and such since, as I'm sure you know, real life doesn't have naturally occurring blocks anywhere really Oo.

like i said before i am just working on the traps right now. After i do that i am going to go back and fix that. But i want to make sure that the traps will fit where i want them to before i go and decorate the map.

Krazy
8 Sep 2009, 12:52pm
Status Update (9/8/09):

I have finished the traps in phase 2 (the bridge) portion of the map. I will go back and change several portions of this part though. I want to go back and change the Terrorist side so that they are standing on a cloud rather than inside of a wall. This will allow me to make the water have more of a lake feel rather that just seeming like water trapped at the bottom of a valley.

Screenshots will be uploaded later today.

Krazy
8 Sep 2009, 05:40pm
Status Update (9/8/09):

Note: This screenshots only show the traps and the basic map i built around it. The map Will look better by the final version but right now i am just focusing on making the map work.

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp142/krazykraka3/deathrun_climb0004.jpg

This picture shows trap #5. In this trap the bridge collapses and players fall to their death into the water below.

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp142/krazykraka3/deathrun_climb0005.jpg

This picture shows trap #6. In this trap the players can either touch the barrels to set it off, of the terrorists can push a button and manually detonate it.

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp142/krazykraka3/deathrun_climb0006.jpg

This picture shows traps #7 and #8. The first trap causes the bridge to break so that players fall to their death. The second trap causes the wind to start blowing which pushes players off the map. These traps are indicated by the holes in the bridge.

The wall that you see behind these traps shows where the terrorists are pushing the buttons from. Eventually i will make it so that the terrorists push those buttons on clouds rather than from inside a wall.