PDA

View Full Version : F.E.A.R 2 Reborn DLC Review

andre1028
4 Sep 2009, 10:40am
Well I bought it last night and let it download all morning and I just finished it now after I woke up. It was pretty meh. It's basically a prequel to the campaign where you are playing as a light infantry replica soldier who instead of listening to the voice in his ear by fellow replica soldiers listens to Paxton Fettel who apparently is one of the replica commanders, except that guy is dead though cause the person you played in F.E.A.R 1 shot him. So basically you're being talked to by a ghost like Jason is by his mom. That means you basically turn against all your fellow replica soldiers and go on a journey to the center of the Earth fighting baddies along the way (literary).

The DLC is relatively short and costs about $10 USD on Steam. It's about 5 "Intervals" long and if you're playing on a fair difficulty level against your skill level it takes about half an hour to an hour to beat if you run through it. Where you go is pretty straight forward, there's objective text on the far top right on your HUD always telling you what to do. The enemies you face are relatively easy to kill plus you get all the same old weapons you did in the original F.E.AR 2 campaign. For any hardcore F.E.A.R fans out there. It is NOT scary at all. It's actually less scarier than the original campaign. The only thing you have to really worry about startling you is those smeagle specimens and those voodoo doll zombie soldiers which of course are easy to kill.

So basically the Level Structure is pretty good actually. It isn't that symmetrical plus there are a lot of times when you are in the middle of the city and you can see all the smoke, sky scrapers, destruction around you so it feels like you're just pretty much exploring with a goal of course. The gameplay of course seeing how it's a F.E.A.R game is great a shooter, as a horror expansion it's lacking though. On another note like I said before the new campaign is extremely easy, every interval you always find the right weapon for the right job somehow making being innovative pretty much useless. The enemies you face in numbers and in strength is pretty good. There are times when you face your own level of replica soldiers, then you face a bunch of HA unit replica soliders, then you fight both... then you fight regular reps + HA units + Armored Power units (those robot mechs) at the same time lol. With all those enemies against you and the running around the length for five intervals is pretty short actually, too short for ten bucks, it's probably worth like five bucks.

To conclude on this short explanation/review

Gameplay - Good
Level Structure - Good
Difficulty - Poor
Length - Poor
Overall Fun - Average
Weapons for each interval - Good
Enemies for each interval - Good
Scare Factor - Shit

If you want to see what it looks like you can check out the trailer

86dAzctOYUg

kaiden2554
4 Sep 2009, 12:43pm
In Fear 3 the scare factor is supposed to be much better.

Leon
4 Sep 2009, 03:52pm
Shit i nearly pissed myself in the FEAR 2 demo when i turned around and there was alma >:O!

JoniX
5 Sep 2009, 04:35am
I liked the demo. But i should buy the F.E.A.R 2 and then this because ive always liked this kind of games

Jazzyy
8 Sep 2009, 09:12pm
The scare factor turned to shit in fear 2, i played the demo and when alma popped up behind its like this
"OH HEY 90% OF GAMERS AREN'T GONNA LOOK BEHIND THEM SO YOU JUST WASTED HOURS OF CODING THAT"