PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Elite - Dropped $100, so did PS3 (slim).

Toxin
3 Sep 2009, 03:10pm
I don't know who did it first, I would say Microsoft was first there, I saw that the news on Saturday. Today I saw a commercial for the PS3. Ugh. Fuck, hm?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/08/playstation-3-now-299-slimmer-version-coming-september-1st/

http://kotaku.com/5343009/yup-360-elite-goes-299-on-august-30

Italian Jew
3 Sep 2009, 03:17pm
Both companies knew what the other was doing. For both instances, the consoles lose a little something in the price drop.

The Xbox loses the HDMI cable that was bundled with it.

The PS3 slim doesn't have backwards compatibility and might have other Blu-Ray issues, but nothing as of yet.

Delirium
3 Sep 2009, 04:06pm
HDMI Cables and online was the only thing Xbox has over PS3 now the only have online

Tfrag
3 Sep 2009, 04:24pm
well the online is really slow on the PS3 compared to the xbox. but that might be because xbox makes you pay and with that money they use it for the speed of xbl

Tyler
3 Sep 2009, 04:39pm
Im still sticking with my Elite, As Tfrag said xbox is more dedicated to there online services for a small price you get a huge difference(its only $50 a year) I may buy a ps3 just for some ps3 only games though

Wrathek
3 Sep 2009, 04:41pm
Both companies knew what the other was doing. For both instances, the consoles lose a little something in the price drop.

The Xbox loses the HDMI cable that was bundled with it.

The PS3 slim doesn't have backwards compatibility and might have other Blu-Ray issues, but nothing as of yet.

the only thing lacking is the BC, which has been out of all of their newer versions for over 2 years now. and the glossy finish, if you count that as "lacking"

Italian Jew
3 Sep 2009, 05:02pm
the only thing lacking is the BC, which has been out of all of their newer versions for over 2 years now. and the glossy finish, if you count that as "lacking"

There is also going to be some sort of problems encountered with specific instances, but some ofthem might go unnoticed. The Blu-Ray device is a cheaper design that MAY suffer with delivering certain things. The firmware update already messed up a lot of things with the current PS3, so that may also affect its performance coupled with the new Blu-Ray and internal hardware.

They also droped a USB port and an IR port, but unless you need those, you aren't missing anything.
B
On paper, it looks as if nothing really changed, but give it a good few months to see what exactly will happen to the cheaper design. My guess is that a few little things will irritate people, but for most general players, they won't experience anything unless they keep their console on 24/7.

Personally I do not care about the slim as I already have an older version of the PS3. It is just Sony's attempt to actually make a little money with the PS3, but I think they still lose money for every console they sell (just not as much as the regular PS3s). I want to know how much they make off of their peripheral and software sales as they would have to sell very well and make a huge profit for Sony to be comfortable still losing money on their console.

Wrathek
3 Sep 2009, 07:15pm
There is also going to be some sort of problems encountered with specific instances, but some ofthem might go unnoticed. The Blu-Ray device is a cheaper design that MAY suffer with delivering certain things. The firmware update already messed up a lot of things with the current PS3, so that may also affect its performance coupled with the new Blu-Ray and internal hardware.

They also droped a USB port and an IR port, but unless you need those, you aren't missing anything.
B
On paper, it looks as if nothing really changed, but give it a good few months to see what exactly will happen to the cheaper design. My guess is that a few little things will irritate people, but for most general players, they won't experience anything unless they keep their console on 24/7.

Personally I do not care about the slim as I already have an older version of the PS3. It is just Sony's attempt to actually make a little money with the PS3, but I think they still lose money for every console they sell (just not as much as the regular PS3s). I want to know how much they make off of their peripheral and software sales as they would have to sell very well and make a huge profit for Sony to be comfortable still losing money on their console.

me2.

Allan
5 Sep 2009, 10:49pm
Aww man, I just bought my Xbox 360 Elite: Grand theft auto edition lol.

EntombmentOfTheMachine
8 Sep 2009, 04:01am
i got the ps3 slim i bought it 3 days ago. so far so good. i got the 120 gb. and i also have the george forman version of the ps3 which is 80 gb so far no problems. but the 360? yeah fuck that fuck microsoft and that piece-of-beta'd shit. and congrats xbox fans Gaylo - ODST came out. it looks worse then the first one.

TheTruth
8 Sep 2009, 05:15am
i got the ps3 slim i bought it 3 days ago. so far so good. i got the 120 gb. and i also have the george forman version of the ps3 which is 80 gb so far no problems. but the 360? yeah fuck that fuck microsoft and that piece-of-beta'd shit. and congrats xbox fans Gaylo - ODST came out. it looks worse then the first one.

Thought I should highlight some fanboyism hure.

Also, fuck that fuck.

Tyler
8 Sep 2009, 06:14am
Lol EntombmentOfTheMachine mega sony fanboy, odst isnt out yet btw, it comes out on the 22nd a store just released it early by a mess up im gussing

Gundude54
8 Sep 2009, 08:51pm
the xbox360 came first

Jazzyy
8 Sep 2009, 09:08pm
actually, the ps1 came before the xbox sooooooo. lol
also the ps3 slim loses its linux support, which isn't a big deal since you know you lose EVERY THING GOOD ABOUT THE PS3 RIGHT THERE.
The PS3 slim iirc was given a 7200RPM HDD now, don't know what the ps3's normal one was.

also the slim of playstation models has been a thing since ps1, it's something sony does and it ALWAYS succeeds, it's pretty much just a small comeback and it boosts sales.

The elite will cost the same in 2 years after you buy it if you get xlive for 2 years, or more if you pay per month.