PDA

View Full Version : Red Alert 3

Frostbyte
16 Aug 2009, 10:16am
I just got back into Red Alert 3 due to more of my friends coming back to it, so I decided to review it.

Legalsmash wrote a review a while back, and you can find it here.
http://www.steamgamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16360&highlight=Alert+review

BACKDROP
In Red Alert 3, the Soviets are falling apart. The country is in pieces, so the desperate Soviet leaders turn to their ace in the hole. Dr Zelinsky, a brilliant scientist and his time machine. Though untested, the leaders decide its shit or get off the pot and use the time machine to go back in time and take out the man who made the allies technologically untouchable. Albert Einstein. When the Soviets return to the future post-Einstein, they find that they are thriving. But in the midst of the conflict between the Allies and the Soviets, a new threat has arisen. The Empire of the Rising Sun, or the Japanese.

GAMEPLAY
RA3 is a real time strategy game, or RTS. RA3 features a bunch of different units with special abilities. For example, bases can be built on land, and some units are amphibious. This means that you can must handle threats from land, sea, and air. The gameplay itself in my opinion is wacky as hell, and almost like a cartoon at times. Each faction can build 2 super weapons, one offensive, and one defensive. It takes 6 minutes to launch an offensive super weapon, and about 3 to launch a defensive one.

GRAPHICS
The graphics in RA3 look very nice if you crank them up. It can also run fairly well on older rigs.
System Requirements:
OS – Windows XP / Vista (32-Bit)
* Processor – XP: 2.0 GHz (Intel Pentium 4; AMD Athlon 2000+; Multiple Cores) / Vista: 2.2 GHz (Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 2200+/Multiple Cores)
* Memory – XP/Vista: 1 GB
* Hard Drive – Media: 6.0 GB / EA Link: 12.0 GB
* DVD Drive - 8 SPEED
* Video Card – NVIDIA GeForce 6800, ATI Radeon X1800 or higher end DirectX 9.0c compatible gfx card
* Sound Card - DirectX 9.0c compatible (Creative Sound Blaster Audigy cards require a Intel P4 2.6 GHz or similar under Vista, Yamaha Xwave-512 not supported)
* Online Multiplayer – 512 Kbps or faster; 2-8 Players
* Input - Keyboard, Mouse
* Optional – VoIP Headset

FACTIONS

Allies: The Allies in my opinion are mostly about controlling and tricking the other player. Most allied units have a crowd control function (Hydrofoils, Gyrocopters) and ordinance gives you freeze rays. Allied air power is second to none, as they can carpet bomb a base to dust in a few runs. On land, allies have their run of the mill tanks and halftracks. At sea, they have the powerful aircraft carriers and assault destroyers. In my opinion, allied units are a BIT overpowered simply because of the crowd control and defensive options while still being able to attack with bombers.

Soviets: The Soviets win their battles by brute force. Their land units are intimidating. Apocalypse tanks (the pride and joy of the soviets ground forces) can self repair, run over other tanks, and use a tractor beam to haul in other vehicles for the kill. Bullfrogs (a pretty cool unit) can launch infantry across the map and let them parachute into enemy bases. Bullfrogs also come equipped with powerful AA guns, and are amphibious. Soviet air power should not be underestimated, Kirovs are slow but EXTREMELY powerful, Twinblades can carry vehicles to the battlefield, and hold their own versus ground units, and MIGS are the best anti air planes in the game. Soviets also have a good naval force. Akula subs are powerful anti-ship units are are invisible until they rise from the depths.

Empire: The Japanese are highly mobile. Their bases have no limits, because the buildings are in compact cubes that can go anywhere on the map. Most of their units transform for better or worse, depending on the situation. Mecha tengus are good anti-infantry vehicles, but can turn into anti air planes on the flip of a switch. Strikers are good anti air vehicles that can turn into helicopters as well, Japanese infantry is very powerful as well. Imperical warriors brandish katanas, Rocket Angels can rain hell from above, and shinobis can shut down enitre bases. The Japanese navy is the best in the game. Naginta cruisers can hunt ships and attack them underwater, Tsunami tanks are amphibious, and Shogun battleships can devastate bases from extremely long ranges,

All in all, I really like Red Alert 3, and I recommend it to anyone looking for a zany twist on the RTS genre.

I give it an 8.5 out of 10. Thanks for reading my review! :thumb:

Resistance
17 Aug 2009, 01:28pm
Good Review...

But why did you post one if there was already one? :confused:

Anyways, it's still a good review.

Drox
17 Aug 2009, 01:31pm
I played it, and it was actually more easy then Red Alert 2 in the campaign as the Russian's. I beat the game in less then 2 days. It was still good, I loved seeing some old red alert vech's still in the game and it was enjoyable.

Frostbyte
17 Aug 2009, 01:34pm
Good Review...

But why did you post one if there was already one? :confused:

Anyways, it's still a good review.

Meh, like I said, I just got back into the game, and instead of bumping the old one, I decided to give my 2 cents.