PDA

View Full Version : hammer freezes when I run map

Jewpiter
7 Aug 2009, 09:07am
I'm really new to mapping and have been using hammer for only a few days so I apologize if this sounds noobish.

Whenever I try and run my damn map in hammer the shit freezes up during compiling. I let it compile for almost 2 hours and still nothing.

What do i do from here? I could PM someone here my .vmf file if you'd like.

gahhh

Jager
7 Aug 2009, 10:12am
if hammer is locking up id recommend either reinstalling it, or at least (if possible) runnin the authenticateor from steam so that it makes sure all the files and locations are correct.

from a programming POV compiling lockups suck, and reinstalling the program usually fixes the error. however unlikely it may be a glitch in your map, so if re installing doesnt work, try building a map with the elements you tried using before it locked up and see if it repeats itself.

Paul
7 Aug 2009, 10:38am
One of my maps took about 4 hours to compile once, it freezes if you click on anything when its compiling.

Jewpiter
7 Aug 2009, 10:40am
went into steam and deleted local content for Source SDK, redownloaded it and reinstalled. Same damn problem.

wtf this was working fine for me earlier today? hax

Olli3
7 Aug 2009, 12:42pm
Try setting VVIS and VRAD to fast for testing maps. Compiling maps normally could even take days if they are big enough.

MPQC
7 Aug 2009, 12:56pm
There's actually an alternative to compiling through hammer. To quote, a feature that you may want:

The tool has one big advantage over compiling from within Hammer and that is that the modules are all run asynchronously to the tool so your desktop doesn't freeze up and you can continue to edit or browse or even play games with minimal impact.

You could try compiling it through the tool, and even if it doesn't work, it's a lot more fun compiling without the lag.

Click Me. (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729562)

Jewpiter
7 Aug 2009, 05:33pm
There's actually an alternative to compiling through hammer. To quote, a feature that you may want:

You could try compiling it through the tool, and even if it doesn't work, it's a lot more fun compiling without the lag.

Click Me. (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729562)

Sweet. I can only get my maps to compile when I click fast mode.

Bob Loblaw
9 Aug 2009, 11:51pm
Basically portalflow takes forever, and you were clicking stuff while it was compiling which (used to) freeze it. Now it stops everything from appearing like its working, but it is in fact still compiling. So you can compile and browse the internet, but the compile log will *appear* to have frozen, only unfreezing when it is actually done.
I think if you click around on hammer while it appears to be frozen it actually does make it stop responding.