PDA

View Full Version : Apparently ATF is going after Flash Hiders and Silencers.

Hunt3r.j2
31 Jul 2009, 03:04am
Sir,
Unfortunately I have bad news. We were finally notified by ATF Monday morning that we can no longer sell individual pistons, 3-lug adapters, fixed barrel adapters and most other components separately. We can sell a sound suppressor with one attaching device and that is it. We are not very happy to say the least. This is going to affect our business tremendously. Apparently, we were the first, and now ATF is going to go after all other sound suppressor manufacturers as well. We are going to fight this, and the owner of this company has already contacted some attorneys about taking legal action. As you saw we were forced to take all the products off our web page or face legal action by ATF. We are waiting to hear the final word on the QD mounts, and I am not expecting good news about them either. All I can tell you now is to be patient while we appeal ATF's ruling and hopefully get it overturned. Sorry for the inconvenience, however our hands are tied at the moment, and no one is more upset than us over this matter.

Courtesy from Yankee Hill Manufacturing.

Flash hiders and suppressors don't do anything of real use. If you shoot a gun people will hear it, unless you use subsonic ammo, which is pointless.

ATF is trying some sneaky shit.

PotshotPolka
31 Jul 2009, 07:56am
Suppressors (not silencers) are not designed to make a gunshot inaudible, simply disguise and damper it.

LegalSmash
31 Jul 2009, 08:48am
LOL. I guess the secret agent and assassin's guilds will have to try harder to be smooth.

Do you have an official statement about this on ATF site or the reg ordering this?

PotshotPolka
31 Jul 2009, 08:59am
LOL. I guess the secret agent and assassin's guilds will have to try harder to be smooth.

Do you have an official statement about this on ATF site or the reg ordering this?

"It's so the deer we hunt don't hear us when we shoot them"

Taylor
31 Jul 2009, 09:28am
"It's so the deer we hunt don't hear us when we shoot them"

Well isn't it already to late for the deer once you pull the trigger?:toung:

PotshotPolka
31 Jul 2009, 09:45am
and that was the joke.

Frostbyte
31 Jul 2009, 12:04pm
Well then this guy is fucked.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2008/03/11/alg_javierbardem.jpg

Hunt3r.j2
31 Jul 2009, 02:31pm

Nope. But YHM (The company that the ATF is suddenly going after) has had all of it's QD silencer parts shown as out of stock, and flash hiders may be on the list.

http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/Sound_Accessories.html

They're going after flashhiders because silencers can be made to mount on them.

http://thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=411366

Apparently it's all over the gun forums, and now the ATF did this without any written letter or anything "official."

The real trouble is about flash hiders and threaded barrels. Suppressor mounts could be considered a threaded barrel or any muzzle device. Which is kind of bad.

PotshotPolka
31 Jul 2009, 02:56pm

Well he's a fucktard for using a silenced shotgun anyways.

Hunt3r.j2
31 Jul 2009, 04:33pm

Seriously, dude.

Silencer is going to get torn up from buckshot trying to spread.

Italian Jew
31 Jul 2009, 05:14pm
Seriously, dude.

Silencer is going to get torn up from buckshot trying to spread.

There are silencers for shotguns, but aren't as useful or good as rifle silencers. They just keep the shell closed until it clears the silencer end.

Hunt3r.j2
1 Aug 2009, 04:00am
There are silencers for shotguns, but aren't as useful or good as rifle silencers. They just keep the shell closed until it clears the silencer end.

Well that isn't very useful like a rifle silencer.

If you need a shotgun a silencer is probably not what you are looking for.

Shadowex3
4 Aug 2009, 08:37pm
Slugs newbs.

Desum
4 Aug 2009, 09:35pm
My shottie skin has a silencer = D Just sayin'.. It looks pretty badass when its on your screen.

Nonetheless, OH NOEZ. I IZ CAN NOT GO NINJUH WIT MAH GUNZ?! XD I mean really.. Not like you're shooting humans and the silencer means life or death.

PotshotPolka
5 Aug 2009, 08:54am
Slugs newbs.

He was firing buckshot in the movie.

tank40175
5 Aug 2009, 10:05am
Back to topic, the argument the ATF seems to be making is invalid. IF you go through legal means to obtain a silencer, the ATF has to approve the transaction anyways. As it is a Class 3 item, just like a Machine Gun. And stopping the sale of suppressors through legal means will only affect the law abiding citizen. Same case as any gun-control laws. The criminals that want them will still get them as they always have.

Frostbyte
6 Aug 2009, 04:38am
He was firing buckshot in the movie.

Didn't his sniper have a massive silencer too?

Alpha2
7 Aug 2009, 08:58am
Clearly this can't be true, it would be unconstitutional. It even says right in the constitution that if they start restricting our guaranteed freedoms, we have a right and duty to kick the government out on it's ass. Time for a coup?

Slavic
7 Aug 2009, 10:58am
Clearly this can't be true, it would be unconstitutional. It even says right in the constitution that if they start restricting our guaranteed freedoms, we have a right and duty to kick the government out on it's ass. Time for a coup?

Were in the constitution does it say that we the people have the right to bear silencers and mussel flash hiders?

Pro Tip: there will never be a coup unless it is military orchestrated.

Italian Jew
7 Aug 2009, 09:36pm

:doh:

I've heard of some bullshit excuses for "guaranteed freedom", but this could compete for the top prize.

Here ya go...

:first:

Why should people be guaranteed silencers and flash hiders?

Jewpiter
8 Aug 2009, 10:19am
There is such a thing, actually. Hushpower makes a series of suppressed shotguns, and suppressed barrels for Mossbergs.

Now, the really weird thing is that they're in the U.K., and for some reason someone in the U.S. having one of these would make them into a crazed murderer, so they're illegal here, even in states where suppressors are legal.
For more information, take a look at their site:
http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/Gunroom/SG_Hushpower.htm

There are silencers available for shotguns, but they do not as well as those made for rifles and pistols. The shot cup has to be held shut until it clears the end of the silencer. To do this the silencer has a tube with holes drilled into it to vent off the gun powder gases into the silencer body and keep the shot cup closed. Silencers are legal in most states in the USA, but there is a $200 to be paid when getting the routine authorization from the BATFE.

Reflex in Finland makes a shotgun silencer but claims it only reduces noise by up to 6 decibels where as a good rifle silencer is good for 20-30 decibels noise reduction. See the below link for a photo. There is a company in England that makes them too.

The shotgun silencer you saw in the movie is too short to be very effective. The sound effects are usually put in after filming is completed anyway. Typical microphones and speakers do a poor job of reproducing impulse noise like gun shots.

Cromyth
8 Aug 2009, 10:44am

That doesnt even work. The suppressor will shoot off and kill the person before the bullet does

Jewpiter
8 Aug 2009, 03:48pm
That doesnt even work. The suppressor will shoot off and kill the person before the bullet does

Did you even read my post above?

Italian Jew
8 Aug 2009, 04:17pm
Did you even read my post above?

You mean the stuff you copied and pasted from elsewhere?

I don't think the guy even read any other posts, so don't take it personally.

Jewpiter
8 Aug 2009, 04:44pm
You mean the stuff you copied and pasted from elsewhere?

I don't think the guy even read any other posts, so don't take it personally.

Did you ever consider that fishtrembleatmyname is my account on yahoo?:wave:

Italian Jew
8 Aug 2009, 11:48pm
Did you ever consider that fishtrembleatmyname is my account on yahoo?:wave:

Somehow Jewpiter and fishtrembleatmyname never clicked as the same person.

:P MY B

Hiphopopotomus
9 Aug 2009, 12:27am
Somehow Jewpiter and fishtrembleatmyname never clicked as the same person.

:P MY B

But they are so similar....it's almost obvious!

Jazzyy
9 Aug 2009, 12:28am
Italian Jew; limiting the more american's rights is not the path we should be going down; the fact is we are suppose to be teaching freedom, not disallowing it.

Italian Jew
9 Aug 2009, 12:52am
Italian Jew; limiting the more american's rights is not the path we should be going down; the fact is we are suppose to be teaching freedom, not disallowing it.

We are not supposed to be a completely free nation nor were we designed in that fashion. Only certain freedoms are guaranteed and it is naive to think that disallowing things you would consider "freedoms" is wrong when society itself depends upon it. If you want to teach complete freedom, teach anarchy.

But they are so similar....it's almost obvious!

ALMOST

Jazzyy
9 Aug 2009, 01:28am
you hate us for our freedom, don't you?

Hunt3r.j2
9 Aug 2009, 07:35pm
The restrictions on the 2A is only because it's believe to affect interstate commerce. I don't get how the fuck silencers, short guns, and fun-switch guns affect interstate commerce, but the ATF will put you next to Waco if you ask.

Same reason why it's apparently illegal to grow your own food. Even if you piss on it and get cows to shit on it, and only you eat it, you can't grow it. Because this affects interstate commerce. Goddamn misinterpreting retards over at the gov.