PDA

View Full Version : Prototype review

Bad Dog
29 Jul 2009, 11:42pm
Im pretty sure theres already a review of this game, but I got the game the other day and wanted to make a review, so suck it! (Daniel Tosh was right sayin that is awsome)

Plot: Lets get this right out of the way. If your looking for a game with a story that would make the oscar winners cry, dont buy Prototype. You play Alex Mercer, a native american sounding bullet proof bad ass who has amnesia can take the form of anyone he NOMS on. Nomming on people is a big part of this game. You need to Om Nom on soldiers to infiltrate their bases or hide from them. You have to hunt down people in the city who if you Om Nom Nom on you gain an insight on what happened to you (amnesia). The plot plays out through missions and in game cutscenes. Theres never a part where you can choose which mission you wanna tackle first, and thank god that theres no "choices" in game that impact the game. Its a nice throwback for me to a simpler time when no one knew what the hell "morale" meant until we slapped it in front of the word "choices" and called it a gameplay mechanic. The cutscenes are kind of a joke. They usually are about a minute or shorter, with some of the most akward direction you'll ever see. The cutscenes themselves arent BAD, its just most times they'll end so abruptly you'll be left with the video game story equivelant of "blue ballz."

Gameplay: If you've ever watched the Simpsons or South Park, you might remember those jokes they'd make about violent generic video games (Bonecrusher and such). Think of Prototype as one of those games. The violence and action is over the top. Since Alex is such a BAMF the game evens the playing field by throwing wave after mob after horde of soldiers and mutants at you, suggesting that there must have been a second Baby Boom in this games world, because theres a LOT of fuckin soldiers/mutants. The games first level is a full scale war in times square, it showcases all of Alexs powers and such, and then you get a big slap in the face as you are then stripped of all those powers and the game starts being told through "flashback form" Eventually you start to regain your powers back, starting with the wolverine esque Claw form to the Hammerfist form which are so powerful they might punchout Tyson (They probably wont.) Once you get far enough in game to get the Blade form though, you probably wont be using much else, as it rapes face. There are a few things in the game that throw some new gameplay elements at you, but largely the gameplay consists of "Slash Slash Punch Punch Jump Glide Run Slash OM NOM NOM) One part of the game that is actually surprisingly alright is the stealth gameplay that is the disguises. You'll use these to sneak into bases or evade military forces, and the thrill of Om Nomming a soldier, taking his form then accusing his buddy right next to him that he is you, making all of the nearby soldiers to kill him, will never get old.

Setting/Graphics: When I saw gameplay videos online of prototype, I was sketchy. They looked very ugly and seemingly had a lot of pop in. That was before I saw this game on an HDTV. While this game is no Fallout 3, its certainly not fugly. The setting itself is Manhatten and the game doesnt do half bad of a job recreating the city that never somthing. Times Square and Central Part are very prominent landmarks, and finding landmarks will even net you a chance to find landmark orbs, which apparently do somthing, i dont know. The game mixes things up by changing around zones in the city, Red zones equalling Infected zones and Blue ones being military zones. At the heart of these zones are Bases or Hives. Destroying these compunds will net you EP (Experience Points for the game which let you buy powers from the power store, LIKE A REAL HERO DOES)

Overall: Overall, I give the game an 8.0. This game is good, not for its story or graphics or ground breaking gameplay, but because its a GAME. Its a game with tryed and true gameplay that makes you feel like you could back hand the hulk. The story is honestly decent, being the superhero game there are some twists along the way. And the graphics arent awful, theyre pretty acceptable. You will smile though whenever you see Alex just ripping through the streets at 60 MPH. It looks extremely fluent and the fact that he automatically jumps over a car/ around a bulding corner is nice. All in all, the missions will take around maybe 14 hours? Maybe longer if you decide to take part in some events/ OM NOMMING. Theres a lot of replay value here, as its fun to raise some hell in military zones and such. Be warned though, if you play this game, the giddy feeling of killing over 50 people on the street in less then 5 seconds is NORMAL. Your not crazy, or maybe you are. Either way its fun. Buy this game. Or I will Om Nom you. Cerially.

Mcbride
30 Jul 2009, 05:14pm
i think the game is fun but it gets old after a while when playing...and yes the storyline and things kinda are off for me...like the Secondary missions are for no apparent Reason really...but iono thats in my opinion

JD0102
30 Jul 2009, 06:01pm
game looks good but i dont have any money to buy it and it looks like it would get old fast