PDA

View Full Version : Name Stealing

Sgt_Church
22 Jul 2009, 11:27pm
I created a post awhile back about a complaint to a dude who was stealing my name and pissing people off on deathrun. After i sent it in, i got a rejected reply saying that name stealing is not against current SG rules, unless they disobey any other SG rules or cause trouble. I would like to see this rule added. Please and Thank You.

Hazardous
22 Jul 2009, 11:28pm
So umm.. did you copyright the name?

Sgt_Church
22 Jul 2009, 11:31pm
That was a fast post, but your comments beside the point, what im implying is that it not be allowed for someone to copy / paste your exact name as his / her own, and then disrupt the server. I got blamed a few times, but the STEAM ID's corrected the problem. I just think that it is a bit rediculous to be allowed to copy and paste the EXACT name as your own, keep in mind this is just a suggestion.

Hazardous
22 Jul 2009, 11:33pm
So, do you copyright all of your names?

Do they belong to you?

Solution: CHANGE YOUR NAME

Sgt_Church
22 Jul 2009, 11:34pm
I can already see this is going nowhere so I might as well drop it now, ill quit while I am ahead.

Hazardous
22 Jul 2009, 11:38pm
I can already see this is going nowhere so I might as well drop it now, ill quit while I am ahead.

Why is it going nowhere? I'm the only one who's posted, lol.

Bubbles
22 Jul 2009, 11:41pm
i agree, if anything tell an admin somebody is stealing your name and starting trouble, change your name, and let the admin deal with it

trakaill
22 Jul 2009, 11:42pm
So, do you copyright all of your names?

Do they belong to you?

Solution: CHANGE YOUR NAME

^you have a point...if he is breaking the rules with your name and you see it get proof....

Italian Jew
22 Jul 2009, 11:43pm
Why is it going nowhere? I'm the only one who's posted, lol.

That's why it is going nowhere.

Do not change your name, as that might cause admins or players to mistake the impersonator as the real deal or possibly cause more confusion beyond that. They cannot copy your name exactly and the players can notice the subtle differences, if not, then the different Steam IDs. If any real problems come about, the admins can sort it out.

Sgt_Church
22 Jul 2009, 11:43pm
Im hoping that a rule does come into effect to discourage it, but im thinking that isnt going to happen easily.
By the way, there is a way to exactly duplicate someones name in game, its a script or program of sorts called a name stealer, no idea how to use it, no idea how to get it, no idea where, just know that it can copy a name exactly D:

Mystique
23 Jul 2009, 02:56am
We can't make rules about people changing names, because we can't always see them doing it. They can always claim that you are the one changing their name to yours.

The only thing you can do is when they are causing trouble in a server, make a demo, be sure to make a screenshot of THEIR steam id and provide your own STEAM ID so they don't ban the wrong one.

If there is an admin around, or on your friendslist, PM him saying that someone is causing trouble under your name and give them your steam id, so the admin knows which person needs to be banned.

2 Dwarves, 1 Coat
23 Jul 2009, 03:41am
Cases of name stealing are difficult regardless of how many admins you tell. I'd advise that if the

ass that is taking your name is doing something stupid, leave, and play a different server. I've watched

a guy mimic a name and mic spam racist songs for about a half an hour, only to have the rule-following

player banned.

Huwajux
23 Jul 2009, 05:18am
This does become problematic. One time on prison break, two people copied another players name. I had warned them multiple times to change their original names, but they refused to co-operate. I kicked them but they just came back. When they came back they did the inevitable and began freekilling.

I typed status in console and began looking for the 2 fake ones. Name copiers usually have spaces before or after their name so as to avoid the (1) and (2) tags. I eventually banned them, but by the time I had, about 4/5 of the Ts were dead. Unfortunately my ninja admin speed couldn't save me that time... :sad:

tucker
23 Jul 2009, 11:50am
im with on this sgt. church because what if a admin was about to leave and that admin changed his ingame name and steam name to another admin's/player's name and abused his/her powers to get that person banned permanantly. cuz that is what happend to me someone was impersonating a admin and was wall hacking and the admin did perma ban by name and hit myn because the other dude left and the admin thought it was me leaving so he banned me not the other dude and it took 1 week to resolve this cuz admin kept fighting and in the demos they thought it was me.

Sgt_Church
23 Jul 2009, 12:23pm
Ive seen them copy exact names pretty easily, overall I think that it shouldent be an admins opinion if they should change their name or not, I think it should be a rule, not to be broken. Alot of people I see on SG have done this, to me its stupid to be blamed yourself for another persons harrassment.

Runski
23 Jul 2009, 12:47pm
If we were to inforce having it to where people can only go by one name, and no one can copy names, it takes fun out of the servers. Usually friends would just change names and would not cause harm or break any rules. These people would only find it funny once in a while to all have the same name. If we do add this reason, it might have to be for PB reasons, since someone could change their name to Runski and go around freekilling people, the admins could ban the real Runski, and not get the right one. About text Spam or using racist statements/words, whenever the other Runski would type it would be longer or shorter. My name consists of the Reg. Tag and my name whenever he would type you could easily pick out a space being left out or added in.

If adding this rule it should only be for Prison Break, and maybe the zombie escapes in case of Team killing imo.

Adding it to other servers, such as minigames or regular, would be useless since there really isn't much you can do there to get yourself banned. (since your suppose to kill the other teams).

Sgt_Church
23 Jul 2009, 12:55pm
In other servers a lot of people go on, be racist, spam comments about people, ect. Alot of people i have as friends on that server started asking me what i was doing, and i had no idea what was going on. It took awhile to figure out what was happening, and noone took a demo of it, all i got was a SS or 2 to show he was coping my name, right in the chat + console. Then he would be an ignorant little kid and argue with people over my name while I was gone.

Spliff
23 Jul 2009, 02:51pm
What I have to say is if they have your name but are not saying anything bad with it then its not a big deal. But if they are saying all sorts of bad things with your name then inform an admin immediately.

Mystique
23 Jul 2009, 03:16pm
Ive seen them copy exact names pretty easily, overall I think that it shouldent be an admins opinion if they should change their name or not, I think it should be a rule, not to be broken. Alot of people I see on SG have done this, to me its stupid to be blamed yourself for another persons harrassment.

Like i said a few posts back, we can't always see when people change their names.
I agree, there can be assholes that copy a name and cause trouble. But it is hard to see who is the right person and who isn't. Making it a rule only attracts other assholes to break the rules and cause more trouble imho.

Danny G
23 Jul 2009, 04:41pm
Name yourself a very special name and no one will steal it.

Tyrant
23 Jul 2009, 04:52pm
The simple response: It's too hard to enforce.

The only name-stealing that is against the rules pertains to people who copy the names of admins. The reason being that most admins voices and actions are well known by many so it is much easier to spot the imitators.

Desum
23 Jul 2009, 04:58pm
The simple response: It's too hard to enforce.

The only name-stealing that is against the rules pertains to people who copy the names of admins. The reason being that most admins voices and actions are well known by many so it is much easier to spot the imitators.

And impersonating an admin is a real offense, so stealing their name could be considered impersonating said person who is an admin.

Runski
23 Jul 2009, 08:52pm
Name yourself a very special name and no one will steal it.

Call yourself Cawk Sucker, so no one will really want that name lol.