PDA

View Full Version : How to install CS:S skins

Huwajux
14 Jul 2009, 05:37am
This thread was primarily created in the hope that questions regarding this issue will be taken out of Drunk's thread in the FPS section of the forum. I'm going to tell you guys how to install custom CounterStrike: Source skins (including backgrounds). I'd like to note that all the links you need are at the bottom of the page.

First off, to actually find the skins you want, I suggest going to FPSBanana. They have a wide variety of skins to choose from and you are bound to find one you like. What I suggest you do when searching for an appropriate skin, is to sort them by rating, in a descending order. This will place the most highly rated skins at the top so you don't have to wade through a ton of crap before you find the ones you are looking for.

What you want to skin is displayed on the right hand side. The skins range from weapons, to gloves, to hostages. For now it is a good idea to stick with weapons and backgrounds.

Installing Weapon/Background Skins
Before you go ahead and start downloading everything that catches your eye, you are going to have to install WinRaR. Once you have this downloaded and installed, you can begin choosing your skins. Upon completion of downloading a skin, it may ask you if you wish to use WinRaR to open the ZIP file, select yes and proceed. It should look something like this when opening.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d71/Huwajux/winrarimage.png

Now what I have chosen to install is a retextured FAMAS skin. The key folders that are needed are materials and models. You may also see sound and scripts. They each possess a different task (The 1, 2, 3 and Render files are just screenshots showing you the skin, you do not have to bother with those).

Materials - Without these, you would have a black and purple coloured gun. The materials folder contains the weapon's textures.

Models - Surprisingly this contains the weapon's model.

Sounds - If you do not see this folder, don't worry. All it means is that the default gun sounds will be used. If you do see it, it means the skinner has replaced the sounds with something new.

Scripts - This tells the game when to play the sounds. So if you reload, the scripts will tell the game to play that particular sound. This is only a necessity when there is a sounds folder too.

Resource - This should only appear when installing CS:S backgrounds.

Now open your cstrike folder. This should be located in "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\yourusername\counter-strike source." Depending on what directory you installed the game in, it may appear slightly different.

Simply drag the folders from the WinRaR window into your cstrike folder and select "Yes to all" if it asks you whether you wish to replace the files you have, with the ones you are now trying to install. To check whether the skins are properly installed, close CS:S if it is already running, re-open it and create a singleplayer game (do not join any random server because some servers do not display skins).

Installing Player Skins (T/CT)
First of all open "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\yourusername\counter-strike source\cstrike\materials\models\player". Again, yours may look slightly different. Create the folders t_phoenix, t_leet, t_arctic, t_guerilla, ct_urban, ct_sas, ct_gsg9 and ct_gign.

Once you have downloaded a skin, open the folder until you reach one that displays one of the above names. So for example keep opening the folder in WinRaR until you reach t_leet. Once you have established which folder it is, open it again and you should see some .vtf files. Drag these files into the t_leet folder on your hard drive and then you are done.

NOTE: DO NOT DRAG THE T_LEET FOLDER FROM WINRAR INTO YOUR T_LEET FOLDER ON YOUR HARD DRIVE OTHERWISE THE SKINS WILL NOT WORK. BE SURE TO OPEN THE WINRAR FOLDER AND MOVE THE CONTENTS INTO YOUR HARD DRIVE FOLDER. THIS IS A COMMON MISTAKE.

Installing Gloves/Sleeves
Use the same principle as you would for weapons, but instead move the folder into "cstrike\materials\models\weapons\v_models\hands\v_ hands.vtf".

Appropriate Links
Basic Skins (http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/games/2)
Background Skins (http://www.fpsbanana.com/guis/games/2)
WinRaR Download (http://download.cnet.com/WinRAR/3000-2250_4-10007677.html)

If anything more needs to be added/fixed/removed, just PM me or a higher up about it and we will edit it in. There are some other skins you can install, such as new scopes, new shells and new muzzle flashes. I haven't added them in right now, but if people are really confused about it, I will.

Please note: This is merely a guide for installing skins on CS:S should you wish to do so. It must be pointed out that some people leave hidden hacking programs/viruses within their skins. Although the chances of this are minimal and is an issue that is constantly under moderation, DOWNLOADING SKINS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SteamGamers does not accept any responsibility should you become infected/hacked/banned due to these hidden programs.

Suffering Knave
18 Jul 2009, 05:29am
If anyone needs help installing skins I can help. I have used skins for over a year now and know how to install and test.

I also use a program called ExtractNow which make the .rar file into a folder you can just copy and paste each thing into the correct folder OR you can just drag and drop.