PDA

View Full Version : BF1943 Review

Ultramarine
13 Jul 2009, 03:12am
Well, i just got BF1943 for my PS3 last night, put 2 hours and 30 minutes into it. Great game, looks awesome, amazing that it's only like, 550MB download. Fun to play, more like an arcade focused FPS. Maps are Iwo Jima (Ok map) Guadacanal (Favorite imho), and Wake Island (Good). 4th map will be unlocked when the community reaches 43 million kills, 4th map is Coral Sea, air only map, which will become my new favorite :D

Pros:
Great graphics
Explosions are nice
Destructable environments
cheap

Cons:
Only 3 classes
Sniper is fuckin worthless, only Suicide bombing noobs use it.

Planes have pretty crappy handling... can't pull up worth a damn, so can't do any dive bombing (My favorite thing to do in 1942.... fly waaaay up into the clouds, go over enemy positions, then dive and head to the earth at like, 700 mph, find a target, and blow that sucker into the next century, while pulling out at like, 20-30 feet above the ground).

Planes (Again) bombs are friggen weak... you drop 2 bombs (Much like the SBD or Stuka in 1942), they make hug explosions, yet do shit for damage... i seen Infantry survive bombs that land 5-10 feet from them, and i've nailed tanks dead on with both boms, only to watch those tanks keep chugging away.. i've come close to chucking my control at my LCD in rage over shit like that.

Some more cons that are more community based... Idiots who cant fly always waiting for planes to spawn... bombing runs are called in by a special building... so you always get a few noobs who camp that waiting for the thing to recharge... Sniper rifle is fuckin weak as sin, and when ur zoomed in, your scope moves slow as an old fart waking up in the morning...

Rifle Grenades will kill you if they land within 7 feet of you, yet bombs or bazookas or even TANK rounds do shit to inf... i've had Infantry survive tank rounds that landed RIGHT next to them... had this been another BF game, those suckers would have been flying through the air.

Sniping is worthless... if a person so much as even looks in your general direction, no matter HOW FAR YOU ARE... a god damned Red arrow will pop up above you, giving your location to EVERY enemy(AND, this just becomes PANTS-ON-HEAD RETARDED, when a god damn plane just happens to fly above you, it will instantly give away your location... im in a god damned forest and this happens?!)... Advise for guadacanal, when u spawn, look around a little bit into the distance, you'll end up picking out a few snipers that wait with that red arrow crap.

Vehicles are worthless imho... Tanks and jeeps can easily be taken out by a Infantry player... Riflemen and Infantry are the best classes to be, Infantry being better imho because you can handle enemy troops AND vehicles, due to having an SMG and Bazooka with unlimited ammo.

Well, with all that aside, this game is still fun, i give it an 8/10. Well worth the 15 it costs.. had they charged anymore however, i'd have told u to pass.

Alpha2
13 Jul 2009, 06:31am
I can't wait for this on PC. 1942 was my favorite by far. Can you control the ships the way you could in 1942?

Ultramarine
13 Jul 2009, 06:38am
I can't wait for this on PC. 1942 was my favorite by far. Can you control the ships the way you could in 1942?

No. unless you count landing craft as a ship. Hell, the Aircraft carriers looks worse in 1943 then they did in 1942... the things feel so small in 1943...

Frostbyte
13 Jul 2009, 07:26am
I bought this on the Xbox Live Arcade, and its extremely fun. I think your being a bit too harsh on the game.
Every unit/vehicle is counterable. I like the idea of spawning on an aircraft carrier and storming the beach on boats. Imo, the sniper isnt weak at all. The sniper class (on the IJN side) has a katana, and the explosives are more than effective at taking out tanks, or blowing a hole in the wall. I personally dont like flying the planes, not because the controls are bad, but I would rather be up on the front lines. Rifle grenades are not overpowered, though they are very effective against jeeps.

Plus, Im sure if they had charged full retail price for the game, there would have been more maps/classes, but its a 15 dollar game, you get your moneys worth and then some. The only real fault I really had with this game was the lack of servers when the game was released (they probably didnt expect it to sell the numbers that it did, because the notifications were put on XBL Arcade a few days before release). But now, there are more servers and it takes less time to get in game. Oh, and this game took me literally 10 seconds to download.

Ultramarine
13 Jul 2009, 07:30am
I bought this on the Xbox Live Arcade, and its extremely fun. I think your being a bit too harsh on the game.
Every unit/vehicle is counterable. I like the idea of spawning on an aircraft carrier and storming the beach on boats. Imo, the sniper isnt weak at all. The sniper class (on the IJN side) has a katana, and the explosives are more than effective at taking out tanks, or blowing a hole in the wall. I personally dont like flying the planes, not because the controls are bad, but I would rather be up on the front lines. Rifle grenades are not overpowered, though they are very effective against jeeps.

Plus, Im sure if they had charged full retail price for the game, there would have been more maps/classes, but its a 15 dollar game, you get your moneys worth and then some. The only real fault I really had with this game was the lack of servers when the game was released (they probably didnt expect it to sell the numbers that it did, because the notifications were put on XBL Arcade a few days before release). But now, there are more servers and it takes less time to get in game. Oh, and this game took me literally 10 seconds to download.

8/10 is being hard on a game? :huh:

Alpha2
13 Jul 2009, 07:41am
No. unless you count landing craft as a ship. Hell, the Aircraft carriers looks worse in 1943 then they did in 1942... the things feel so small in 1943...

This makes me sad :sad: One of my favorite things in '42 was to sail the battleship up to the enemy's base a destroy it. Also it was good to be able to move your carrier so the enemy didn't always know exactly where it was.

Frostbyte
13 Jul 2009, 07:44am
8/10 is being hard on a game? :huh:

Well, not really.

Suri
13 Jul 2009, 07:45am
You gave it an 8/10 and then bashed the hell out of it. I believe that's why he is saying you are being Harsh. With all the cons you listed the review should have been 4/10 with how you were going on about it.

Ultramarine
13 Jul 2009, 07:49am
You gave it an 8/10 and then bashed the hell out of it. I believe that's why he is saying you are being Harsh. With all the cons you listed the review should have been 4/10 with how you were going on about it.

Actually i bashed the game THEN gave it the 8/10. :amuse:

On a serious note, what i said is pretty much true, Sniper rifle sucks (Although the class itself is useful with the dynomite), Airplanes have horrible handling, Bombs are weak, Tank shells are weak, and most of the time your team just camps for planes and to call in bombing runs (but i wouldnt minus points on the game for what your team does.)

Frostbyte
13 Jul 2009, 07:56am
Well, if your referring to tank shells as anti-infantry, I would agree with that, but tank shells are great vs jeeps/buldings. Like I said before, I dont even bother with planes because there is usually 2 retards camping on the aircraft carrier (i.e. my brother) and its fun to shoot them down with AA guns. But its hilarious to see people paracute out of planes just to be completely lit up by the team below.