PDA

View Full Version : Enforcing Forum Rules

Psyche
7 Jul 2009, 08:36pm
I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to this but this is getting way out of hand. Too many times I have seen people on the forums doing nothing but being assholes or just posting useless shit on the forums.

Here are the forum rules,

While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or worthless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.

Please refrain from posting meaningless threads, one word (or short) non-sense posts, or the such.

Multiple or repeated posting in order to increase your post count is not allowed.

Advertising, spamming and trolling is not allowed. This includes using the forum email and Private message system to spam other members.

We also do not allow posts that are sexual in nature or violate our community standards. The SteamGamers team shall be the arbitrators of what does and what does not violate community standards, with Haggard being the highest authority on any such matter.

Discussion of illegal activities such as software and music piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed.

Each member is allowed one login account. Registering with multiple accounts is not allowed.

We reserve the right to remove offensive posts without notice.

Also while these rules cover most common situations, they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.

We reserve the right to ban anyone who willfully violates the forum rules.

Sadly, sometimes these rules aren't enforced, some prime examples of when the rules are not enforced are,

Okay lets see, WRONG SECTION, YOUR REVEIW/PREVEIW IS CRAP, and lastly ITS CALLED GOOGLE USE IT.

Retard im talking about time here not fucking bread, dumb shit regs I swear.

Both of you are fucking noobs so be quiet.

Dante your an idiot shut up.

Jesus christ not another thread on this, you idiots need to learn to use the search function.

No you need to shut the fuck up and stay out of PB.

Then why the fuck dont you just PM him instead of making a thread?

WRONG SECTION!

....Wow.

I think its time we crack down on rude people on the forums, if no one has anything nice or anything contributive to say, just don't post it, its in the god damn rules. AS sed by a member on the forums

"Just take a long look at the rules and laugh because of how many of them are not enforced."

Noobster
7 Jul 2009, 08:38pm
gj u tell em :]

Caution
7 Jul 2009, 08:40pm
It's easy to take a compilation of people's posts and make them look like assholes / trolls. It can be done with all of us.

Psyche
7 Jul 2009, 08:52pm
It's easy to take a compilation of people's posts and make them look like assholes / trolls. It can be done with all of us.
I admit, I am not the nicest person, but If I can find these many insulting posts from a single person, all of the posts within a month, there needs to be some serious enforcing to do, to ensure this doesn't happen, I am not saying we all turn into fucking angels, I am saying that people who just continue to be dicks to get some punishment, mostly these people do is insult others and make them want to leave the community, as well as give us as a community a bad impression.

Lefty
7 Jul 2009, 08:57pm
More and more people are making pointless posts this should help more

PingPong
7 Jul 2009, 09:14pm
These rules are definatly not being used and theres ALOT of people as examples. These rules need to be enforced much more and thank you psyche for posting them.

Drox
7 Jul 2009, 09:26pm
Maybe we should enforce search forum rules aswell, because the only time im a "asshole" is when I see a new no block thread every other day for the past week. Which I am usually pretty nice about "Please use the search feature". I just think if you want to cutdown on people being assholes then help the new people on the forum by giving them guidelines and ways of looking around before posting something that has either already been posted or is just useless to everyone else.

But this is just my 2 cents :P, thanks for posting the rules psyche.

LegalSmash
7 Jul 2009, 10:49pm
I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to this but this is getting way out of hand. Too many times I have seen people on the forums doing nothing but being assholes or just posting useless shit on the forums.

Here are the forum rules,

While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or worthless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.

Please refrain from posting meaningless threads, one word (or short) non-sense posts, or the such.

Multiple or repeated posting in order to increase your post count is not allowed.

Advertising, spamming and trolling is not allowed. This includes using the forum email and Private message system to spam other members.

We also do not allow posts that are sexual in nature or violate our community standards. The SteamGamers team shall be the arbitrators of what does and what does not violate community standards, with Haggard being the highest authority on any such matter.

Discussion of illegal activities such as software and music piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed.

Each member is allowed one login account. Registering with multiple accounts is not allowed.

We reserve the right to remove offensive posts without notice.

Also while these rules cover most common situations, they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.

We reserve the right to ban anyone who willfully violates the forum rules.

Sadly, sometimes these rules aren't enforced, some prime examples of when the rules are not enforced are,

I think its time we crack down on rude people on the forums, if no one has anything nice or anything contributive to say, just don't post it, its in the god damn rules. AS sed by a member on the forums

"Just take a long look at the rules and laugh because of how many of them are not enforced."

With all due respect, your post here is pointless. Rules are to be enforced by the AOs, BDs and higher level persons. The forum, unfortunately has many less activities that can be outright banned or punished without causing serious issues among the rank and file. This being the case, there is a huge difference between being a surly teenager and being a racist prick: The latter is bannable, whereas banning the former just lowers the sites number of users and depending on the nature of the ban makes this site more and more like an elementary school playground in san fransisco.

My advice to you regarding your concern psych is seek punishment of people who ACTUALLY something wrong, and forget about people who are simply abrasive. Calling someone an idiot for being one is not a bad thing, its called a social service. However, calling someone racial slurs is different. Realize that a forum has a great deal of divergent opinions, and certain activities are just foolish to engage in (See KennyG and Wolf's situations in the "Great Furfaggotry War of 2009", which ran its course in february. Talking about illegal activities, furthering racism, committing cyberbulling, fine ban the person. Its not appropriate however, to ban a guy who honestly believes someone's review of a shitty game that is older than the Weimar Republic because of his honest assertion of opinion.

I'm FOR enforcing rules that make sense, this isn't sunday school though, and people need to realize that.

GrayFox
7 Jul 2009, 10:50pm
The only problem I have is that we tell people not to bump threads, but when they post threads with the same idea, they are instantly flamed.

LegalSmash
7 Jul 2009, 10:59pm
The only problem I have is that we tell people not to bump threads, but when they post threads with the same idea, they are instantly flamed.

This IS an issue, but I think it occurs because so many retards are making new threads

XeNo
7 Jul 2009, 11:00pm
Argument being when a thread is bumped, generally the post is something entirely stupid like 'lol yah'.

If anyone bumped a thread with a reasonable new topic for discussion in the thread, I doubt it would matter.

Also, I hardly see people being flamed for making a new thread with the same idea? It's usually just one dude saying 'already discussed here: link'.

As for the original topic in this thread, I agree with most of Legal's points.

Edit:

Two things,

One: YES, NONE OF THOSE POSTS ARE MINE.
Two: What is wrong with '...' and '...wow' posts? They aren't being hurtful directly. If we ban for those we'd have to start banning for ^^This posts and so on.

Hazardous
7 Jul 2009, 11:43pm
I think it's because "..Wow" and "..." were my posts.

*Queen VenomousFate*
7 Jul 2009, 11:54pm
in my opinion anyone who plays on our servers should have the maturity to brush off rudeness. If an admin is gonna ban people for being rude i shudder to think how easily he will ban anyone else.

Rudeness should be discouraged, but unless it becomes really serious i say we simply ask them to be more kind, but really not punish them for it. (The punishment will come when we deny them admin)

Shadowex3
8 Jul 2009, 04:16am
Having actually played with a lot of the admins here I think if we banned people for the level of temper shown in the original post 2/3rds of the staff would be permmed by now and the only people left would be the ladies, that one guy that says "Cool Story Bro" and somehow sounds like he's capitalizing every word he speaks, and haggard's kid.

Plus having 5+ noblock threads on the first page literally one right above the other all of which are in reasonable posting age makes ANYONE feel like one of breakfloor's admins.

Psyche
8 Jul 2009, 09:32am
Having actually played with a lot of the admins here I think if we banned people for the level of temper shown in the original post 2/3rds of the staff would be permmed by now and the only people left would be the ladies, that one guy that says "Cool Story Bro" and somehow sounds like he's capitalizing every word he speaks, and haggard's kid.

Plus having 5+ noblock threads on the first page literally one right above the other all of which are in reasonable posting age makes ANYONE feel like one of breakfloor's admins.

Like I said before, I am not saying to go ahead and ban everyone that has been disrespectful in the forums, most if not everyone on the forums has be an ass at least once, what I am trying to push across is that the people who have been repetitively disrespectful get some kind of punishment, the only time someone gets banned for disrespect is if they personally attack a member of the forums or say something racist, yet the people who are just outright assholes to everyone get a free pass?

Calling someone an idiot for being one is not a bad thing, its called a social service.

In some situations this can be okay, like people who come to spam the forums, or liars in appeal bans, but people who have just come to the community because they have been on our servers and want to become part of it deserve at least SOME decency, its really hard for someone who wants to stay in the community whenever he or she fucks up then gets bitched at and called an imbecile. I am just saying to try to be a little kind to newer users.

What is wrong with '...' and '...wow' posts? They aren't being hurtful directly. If we ban for those we'd have to start banning for ^^This posts and so on.

Posts that don't contribute to the thred (pointless 1 word posts,) and I say go ahead with deleting posts that are just useless, if you are going to post "^this^" post why you fucking agree with it or better yet, don't fucking post at all and +rep them or give them a thanks or something.

Its not appropriate however, to ban a guy who honestly believes someone's review of a shitty game that is older than the Weimar Republic because of his honest assertion of opinion.

It doesn't mean you have to be disrespectful about it, why don't people just be fucking adults and just give him constructive criticism, without being assholes?

Ramb0
8 Jul 2009, 09:34am
Use common sense. Don't be blatantly disrespectful to anyone that disagrees with you or makes small mistakes. Don't flame every new player because they posted a dumb idea or they posted in the wrong forums, thats what constructive criticism is for.

Sure a little bashing here and there is fun, but blatant disrespect will drive away people, especially new players. It is in the communities best interest to get and retain new players, or else it will stagnate. Also Haggard needs some chrome for his Porsche. Anyway, people should be respectful. If you disagree with someone, post a counter-argument but don't outright personally attack the person...

Also if every post you make is flaming someone than you really need not post on the forums.

Psyche
8 Jul 2009, 09:40am
Use common sense. Don't be blatantly disrespectful to anyone that disagrees with you or makes small mistakes. Don't flame every new player because they posted a dumb idea or they posted in the wrong forums, thats what constructive criticism is for.

Sure a little bashing here and there is fun, but blatant disrespect will drive away people, especially new players. It is in the communities best interest to get and retain new players, or else it will stagnate. Also Haggard needs some chrome for his Porsche. Anyway, people should be respectful. If you disagree with someone, post a counter-argument but don't outright personally attack the person...

Also if every post you make is flaming someone than you really need not post on the forums.

Exactly what I was going for.

TheTruth
8 Jul 2009, 10:42am
I think it's because "..Wow" and "..." were my posts.

And all the rest were probably Dracula.

tinkerbell
8 Jul 2009, 10:46am
also recently ive seen people adding in the posts how they "torrent" programs illegally as well, this really does piss me off, and i think that thier message be deleted and them be given a warning about, i know many people torrent programs but there is no need to inform the world what your doing, if someone want to know send it in a pm or something dont just post it on the forums for everyone to see.

Drox
8 Jul 2009, 12:33pm
lol man this place is turning into a sunday morning special, I think aslong as it doesnt hurt anyone to the point where they truly feel offended then get over it and dont get so butthurt over text. Kind of sick of seeing people act as if this whole community is made up of 12-13 year olds kids who still think that the internet is for cool people. If your gonna post something dumb dont expect people to reply with "Oh yea man, awesome post", I mean if this was any other site it would be the same way.

I really believe that no one is being a asshole but allowing people to learn from their mistakes so they dont do it again. I guess call it tough love. :P

Hazardous
8 Jul 2009, 01:36pm
"Posts that don't contribute to the thred (pointless 1 word posts,) and I say go ahead with deleting posts that are just useless, if you are going to post "^this^" post why you fucking agree with it or better yet, don't fucking post at all and +rep them or give them a thanks or something."

1 word posts don't break any of the rules.

fail quote btw..

Psyche
8 Jul 2009, 02:49pm
If your gonna post something dumb dont expect people to reply with "Oh yea man, awesome post"

Did you even read my post? I never asked for everyone to be fucking angels, you can post, "this is a really pointless post" instead of "use the fucking search noob"

Self explanatory.

Drox
8 Jul 2009, 04:06pm
Did you even read my post? I never asked for everyone to be fucking angels, you can post, "this is a really pointless post" instead of "use the fucking search noob"

So a person can still be a asshole, yet dont insult the person directly? You want people to stop being asshole's but you just think the only part of it to be a issue is just insults (Which I rarely even see). If thats the case then im cool with it, aslong as people can still share their opinion, either it being negative or positive.

Psyche
8 Jul 2009, 04:58pm
So a person can still be a asshole, yet dont insult the person directly? You want people to stop being asshole's but you just think the only part of it to be a issue is just insults (Which I rarely even see). If thats the case then im cool with it, aslong as people can still share their opinion, either it being negative or positive.

Its almost impossible for an asshole to stop being an asshole, as long as they are not directly insulting others, go ahead, be a dick.

Drox
8 Jul 2009, 05:02pm
Its almost impossible for an asshole to stop being an asshole, as long as they are not directly insulting others, go ahead, be a dick.

lol understood then

Dante
8 Jul 2009, 06:48pm
I think maybe this shit should be enforced, i've seen many people, not going to throw names out, constantly asses just to make themselves feel better, it's really annoying and this shit should be put to rest.

Omar
8 Jul 2009, 07:09pm
Look, Psyche, I really appreaciate what you're doing, and mostly I agree, but to be fully honest, I don't think this will change a thing, I mean... Look around you, this is the internet, you can't expect SG to go soft, semi-soft or even near to soft, constructive critisism is what i'm doing and I'm only stating my opinion, whether it being negative or not, so please, don't hate me for it.

People throughout the community have called eachother alot of shit, and some newbies really don't get it when they get told to stfu, yes, there are some/phew of us who really are dicks, and I shall call them that because they deserve to be called (even though i don't know exactly who it is, but you know, just in "theory"), and they are those who deserve to be punished, but i mean, atleast once a week, some of the regular guys, HG's and other old-schoolers, admins, AO's BD's, gets pissed or something in that direction and tells some guy to STFU and GTFO.

It's like... A little kid, he's gonna kick you and then try to run away, you know he's gonna do it, and when, but instead of taking him close to doing it, you take him after he does it, so he can't say "I swear I wasn't gonna do it, you liez bla bla bla" so, when you let them do it, you'll give them a little taste, you'll tell them to stfu and gtfo, next time they do it, they're gonna get it (ban)
If you don't get my point then maybe some other dude will explain it to you.

And really.. I mean, to be fully honest, the thing about giving our community a bad reputation? well, if you're gonna burst out into tears everytime your parents tells you that you're a failiure or shouts at you, then you shouldn't even join this community, we're welcoming everyone, but they gotta have some balls man, balls enough to ignore few assholes, because, their gonna be everywhere ingame, in forums and in real life, but not ballsy enough to play tough guy against the higher-ups, unless they fuck up, wich is unlikely.

My 2 cents.. or as we say on danish, øre.

so long, I'm gonna go drink some ice-cold.. water.

Neji
8 Jul 2009, 07:51pm
Way to go psyche!

And I'm sick of these "^that" things. We should really start giving warnings for this, but it's my opinion.

barackobama
8 Jul 2009, 08:01pm
You're all fucking idiots, get over it!!! :high5:

nd 4 all dis pplz who haz da "i cn type prober gramm"e"r shit in der sigs , no u cnt, i hve seen lodes fel potz from u guys wit crappy gramm"e"r u tink iz wright!

Suri
8 Jul 2009, 08:21pm
You're all fucking idiots, get over it!!! :high5:

Thanks for the example!

Caution
8 Jul 2009, 08:22pm
And I'm sick of these "^that" things. We should really start giving warnings for this, but it's my opinion.

LOL

:rofl:

Determined2Win
8 Jul 2009, 08:25pm
LOL

:rofl:

:clap: Thank you good sir.

Omar
9 Jul 2009, 01:02am
:clap: Thank you good sir.

indirect sarcastic insult, nice one sir.

PingPong
9 Jul 2009, 02:59am
also recently ive seen people adding in the posts how they "torrent" programs illegally as well, this really does piss me off, and i think that thier message be deleted and them be given a warning about, i know many people torrent programs but there is no need to inform the world what your doing, if someone want to know send it in a pm or something dont just post it on the forums for everyone to see.

I think this was directed towards me and i apolagize

Huwajux
9 Jul 2009, 11:38am
Way to go psyche!

:doh:

Veggie
11 Jul 2009, 03:45pm
This is all good and needed to be said, why not form a small team that assists the moderators in maintaining policy on the forums? A team such as this would not be able to enforce policy, just help moderators out. With exceptions for certain areas such as:

Player Complaints, Ban Appeals, Admin Complaints and a few other areas where admins check more often.

Just a idea that crossed my mind.