PDA

View Full Version : Age of Empires 2 - Your favorite team?

Silverman
27 Jun 2009, 11:27pm
I think the best RTS of all time was Age of Empires 2: Age of Kings with the Conquerors add on... 1.0c patch. L33T gaming. English (elite longbowman) and Goth (huskarl rush) FTW.

Lux
28 Jun 2009, 12:46am
I think the best RTS of all time was Age of Empires 2: Age of Kings with the Conquerors add on... 1.0c patch.

QFT :smile:

I used to play on zone online, favourite rush would be halbs and plume's

Scree :O
28 Jun 2009, 01:10am
I remember this game. I played it when I was 7 or something. My dad actually bought me the expansion and brought it to the hospital in which I was hospitalized. Cool stuff. My favourite part about AoE is how you could tremendously expand your city.

My favourite nation are the brits. The longbowman is their castle unit.

(von dutch) delta force 8
28 Jun 2009, 03:24am
i always picked my team random but as soon i got to the castle age I built a wall of castles and towers and walls ofcourse ;), and behind that wall i would train my immense army

good times... good times :)

Lux
28 Jun 2009, 04:38am
I remember this game. I played it when I was 7 or something. My dad actually bought me the expansion and brought it to the hospital in which I was hospitalized. Cool stuff. My favourite part about AoE is how you could tremendously expand your city.

My favourite nation are the brits. The longbowman is their castle unit.

Lol yeah I got it when I was 6 or 7 and I like how many civs you have to choose, and they are also quite different in their own respect, which is what I expected of other rts games but to find like 3 or 4 civs felt like a let down.

When I was playing comp stomps I used to like Brits but I bet you like them just for the 6+6 range it's lameeeeeeee and fails because they're so slow.

Ganzta
28 Jun 2009, 08:22am
still have the game but havent played in ages
great game

GrayFox
28 Jun 2009, 08:36am
Byzantines with Allies as Spanish. Get more money from trade and also the Byzantines Calvary were the most powerful in the game.

Lux
28 Jun 2009, 09:04am
Byzantines with Allies as Spanish. Get more money from trade and also the Byzantines Calvary were the most powerful in the game.

O rly? Arguably Paladin's especially with the French bonus were stronger although Cataphracts had an infantry bonus.

I enjoyed the custom maps people made online did anyone else try online?

Silverman
28 Jun 2009, 09:41am
I used to only play the Black Forest map so I had the advantage with the Brits, since the longbowmen could out shoot a treb from behind the dense trees. Now, my friend played as the Vikings and would stock every castle with as many Berzerks as possible, so when you destroyed one a ton would rush out at you! He would also build Longships all the time, even in tiny little lakes, completely useless and landlocked.

Frostbyte
28 Jun 2009, 11:55am
I liked the Tectonic Knights and the Mayans.

GrayFox
28 Jun 2009, 09:43pm
O rly? Arguably Paladin's especially with the French bonus were stronger although Cataphracts had an infantry bonus.

I enjoyed the custom maps people made online did anyone else try online?

Both Paladins and Cataphracts, along with some Camels thrown in as the Byzantines.

Frostbyte
28 Jun 2009, 10:21pm
I hated war elephants so much.

29 Jun 2009, 04:50am
I liked the Tectonic Knights and the Mayans.

Are you refering to the Teutonic Knights?

And yeah, Jaguar Warriors were awesome. The Indian tribes were all pretty cool.

Lux
29 Jun 2009, 07:33am
I've just been playing a few games online and wow it is so much harder than CoH or maybe I'm just REALLY out of practice :lol:

Frostbyte
29 Jun 2009, 07:34am
Are you refering to the Teutonic Knights?

And yeah, Jaguar Warriors were awesome. The Indian tribes were all pretty cool.

Yeah, I knew it was spelled pronounced something alone those lines.

29 Jun 2009, 08:07am
I've just been playing a few games online and wow it is so much harder than CoH or maybe I'm just REALLY out of practice :lol:

Luxorz can't RTS.

Jaffa
29 Jun 2009, 08:36am
Byzantines

Used to roll with an all-cavalry army, 20 cataphracts to kill infantry, 20 Camels for cavalry, 20 Paladins for everything, 20 Cavalry Archers to scout and harass.

One of my fondest memories was doing a 6 vs 6 game with frineds, i built about 80 cataphracts, and my opponents each had infantry civs, so had built a lot of their infantry special. One charge later and the field was covered in dead teutonic knights and goths

Frostbyte
29 Jun 2009, 08:46am
Bastard.

GrayFox
29 Jun 2009, 09:37am
Byzantines

One of my fondest memories was doing a 6 vs 6 game with frineds, i built about 80 cataphracts, and my opponents each had infantry civs, so had built a lot of their infantry special. One charge later and the field was covered in dead teutonic knights and goths

How did you manage to get 12 people? My game can only hold eight.

Also, I think everyone can agree that the Huns are the worst civilization?

Frostbyte
29 Jun 2009, 10:15am

I agree.

Lux
29 Jun 2009, 10:42am

I don't think he could have gotten 12 people o.O?

Also Huns are a good civ even if they can't make walls they don't need houses and the Tarkans are a great pillaging unit.

Jaffa
29 Jun 2009, 10:57am
My bad, meant 3 vs 3

12vs 12 would be sic though

Frostbyte
29 Jun 2009, 11:17am
We should get a game going.

29 Jun 2009, 04:14pm
How do you play it online? Wasn't the official service shut down ages ago?

Lux
29 Jun 2009, 05:56pm
How do you play it online? Wasn't the official service shut down ages ago?

Yeah Zone shut down it's old online games quite a few years ago but I was right there when 3rd parties were battling to become the new host of the game and I went with IGZ http://igzones.com/ and they ended up with everyone because they had the best client.

I actually came up with quite a few of the ideas implemented in the client but once the custom scenario's community (custom maps where I spent my time basically) became almost entirely a noob fest I left.

I do go on now and again for a bit of Random Map like today though, if you want to get a game going that'd be cool all you do is download the client and host on it, or alternatively we could play by LAN.

GrayFox
29 Jun 2009, 06:20pm
I'd be up for a game, Lan or whatever.

Silverman
29 Jun 2009, 07:55pm
Me too, sounds like a lot of fun.

Slash/
30 Jun 2009, 07:18am
I loved being the Mongols/Vikings. I played a lot of deathmatch on zone in my day. I really loved all the custom maps. Started playing warcraft 3 as my primary RTS and never looked back until recently, played couple of games with some friends and had a great time.

Lux
30 Jun 2009, 12:36pm
Ok well if you catch me online pm me and we will see how many players we can get at the time.

GrayFox
30 Jun 2009, 03:09pm
I loved being the Mongols/Vikings. I played a lot of deathmatch on zone in my day. I really loved all the custom maps. Started playing warcraft 3 as my primary RTS and never looked back until recently, played couple of games with some friends and had a great time.

Mongols, yet another class I found to be not worthwhile.

LegalSmash
30 Jun 2009, 07:46pm
teuton rush, cannon towers.

GrayFox
30 Jun 2009, 07:59pm
Cannon towers seem to be inaccurate as of late, their not as good as I remember them.

Lux
30 Jun 2009, 08:33pm
Cannon towers seem to be inaccurate as of late, their not as good as I remember them.

Does this have anything to do with not researching ballistics? I don't remember if it includes Cannon towers but they don't get murder holes either so they are quite hit and miss.

Jaffa
1 Jul 2009, 02:03am
There is an accuracy tech at the university which significantly improves cannon towers

Silverman
1 Jul 2009, 02:51pm
There is an accuracy tech at the university which significantly improves cannon towers

Cannons were rude, especially in the blackforest where you could line them up behind your wall... the Teutons were horrifying with their Knights and Towers.

LegalSmash
1 Jul 2009, 03:51pm
Best game I ever played was a 4v4 in college, my teutons, my buddies goths, chinese, and japs against a team of mayans, english, saracen and persians.

The game lasted 4 hours, and we won with a LOT of infantry rushes, and corpses paving the way to victory.

GrayFox
1 Jul 2009, 09:49pm
Best game I ever played was a 4v4 in college, my teutons, my buddies goths, chinese, and japs against a team of mayans, english, saracen and persians.

The game lasted 4 hours, and we won with a LOT of infantry rushes, and corpses paving the way to victory.

We had a lan party, 3 on 4. It ended up with over one person had 300 kills, another had 2000, and it lasted over 3 hours before they called it a draw.