PDA

View Full Version : Empire Total War

c0bra067
21 Jun 2009, 12:08pm
personally, i have always been a big total war guy, preferring it over age of empires, ect. i own rome and medieval 2 total war, so when i found out about empire i was pretty pumped up. and after reviews like the one down below it looks pretty sick, but im worried whether or not its actually worth buying because of the insane graphics it seems to have. anyone have any experience with the game to say how well it performs/runs?

im fairly confident my computer will run it... just wondering if its really worth dishing out the $

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBYcIaiAjaw

Dracula
21 Jun 2009, 12:28pm
Sucks compaired to the others.

Scree :O
21 Jun 2009, 02:47pm
I'd say Empire: Total War is the best yet. It has all the things I liked the most about the prequels and spices it up with some interesting new features, from a difference in controling your units and land, to tactical differences due to the period. I bought it and I'm very satisfied.

Lux
21 Jun 2009, 02:58pm
Units firing at their own team's squads when they overlap really made battles long.

Dracula
21 Jun 2009, 03:04pm
Units firing at their own team's squads when they overlap really made battles long.

Lol, thats a fail on the players part not the games. [Play more DoD and you learn nood] ;D

Italian Jew
21 Jun 2009, 04:17pm
How many repeats have we had on reviews now?

Drox
21 Jun 2009, 04:51pm
Sucks compaired to the others.

Agreed, them teaming up with Steam ruined it just because there is no strat files for fun.

c0bra067
22 Jun 2009, 12:49pm
ah. well thanks for the help guys, mabey ill just stick to medieval for a bit then lol

Jaffa
22 Jun 2009, 02:17pm
Its better to wait for them to fix all the bugs, or for stainless steel to make a mod for it

Drox
23 Jun 2009, 09:55am
Its better to wait for them to fix all the bugs, or for stainless steel to make a mod for it

The bugs isnt the issue with the game, they should have released it like all their others on their own cd's and can support itself without steam. Also why did they take out the console in game is beyond me but without it u cant use any cheats if u get in a tight pinch with money, nor does it have a strat file which I can find. Just a complete failure compared to their other games IMO.

Jaffa
23 Jun 2009, 10:10am
A game is a failure not because of bugs but because you can't cheat? and that you downloaded it and didn't buy the cd copy? and that it runs with steam, like most of the games this community plays?

Drox
23 Jun 2009, 12:34pm
A game is a failure not because of bugs but because you can't cheat? and that you downloaded it and didn't buy the cd copy? and that it runs with steam, like most of the games this community plays?

Are you suriously comparing this game to every other game on steam? Please atleast tell me you played some of the other games since I have been playing em since Shogun Total War. It isnt that you cant cheat, its just how it plays aswell, but cheating came natural after beating it a few times which I have already done, now I have it uninstalled and wont touch it. Want to know why? because I cant play around with the start file and have some fun. Complete failure COMPARED to their other games. Its a franchise game I care deeply about, but the way they did it just screwed it up compared to their others.

Jaffa
23 Jun 2009, 01:06pm
Fair enough. I've got them since rome, and found the same with them, that they grow old after a while unless i set limits upon myself.

You should be able to mod the files though, this was supposed to be more easy to mod than previous games

Drox
23 Jun 2009, 01:12pm
Fair enough. I've got them since rome, and found the same with them, that they grow old after a while unless i set limits upon myself.

You should be able to mod the files though, this was supposed to be more easy to mod than previous games

yea thats what I mean, like in any of the other games there was a certain .txt file called "descr_strat" which you could edit and change around to make different stuff happen in the game. Well I have searched every single inch of this games files and couldnt find any file that comes even close to what its suppose to be. So they really dropped the ball when it came to keeping it entertaining.

Jaffa
23 Jun 2009, 01:17pm
mbbe try checking around on different empire total war forums to see how they are doing it, i'm sure there are mods available, so it must be possible

Drox
23 Jun 2009, 01:20pm
mbbe try checking around on different empire total war forums to see how they are doing it, i'm sure there are mods available, so it must be possible

Yea I have done that before, not much out there except the same complaints I am saying in here. lol

c0bra067
23 Jun 2009, 11:39pm
That's a real bummer... I know what you're talking about though drox, there's alot of stuff you can mess around with in that game with it being so open (console and open files). Me and my buddy actually found on some medieval 2 forums a way to make it a 2 person campaign game, and we basically took over the map by the time the mongols came, which was all in one night because we cheated, but we had a blast

Slash/
26 Jun 2009, 09:21pm
With the latest patch I've found new interest in the game. It's now incredibly stable and pretty much the game I wanted it to be. Compared to the older games this one is much more complex and I actually had to play the Road to Independence campaign/tutorial to understand what I was doing in the Grand Campaign. In the recent patch they added 14 new units and released another 14 for $3.50 on steam which is a pretty nice deal. They did mention adding a multiplayer campaign in a later patch but they havn't said anything about it since they stated it was in the making. There are so many highlights in this game that were needed in the previous games. Just to begin with you can finally hire generals :D.

Here's a nice little link to the progress they make on patches. Basically a staff member updates what was done in a days work.

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/53425

It's currently down but it should be up sometime....

Drox
26 Jun 2009, 09:51pm
With the latest patch I've found new interest in the game. It's now incredibly stable and pretty much the game I wanted it to be. Compared to the older games this one is much more complex and I actually had to play the Road to Independence campaign/tutorial to understand what I was doing in the Grand Campaign. In the recent patch they added 14 new units and released another 14 for $3.50 on steam which is a pretty nice deal. They did mention adding a multiplayer campaign in a later patch but they havn't said anything about it since they stated it was in the making. There are so many highlights in this game that were needed in the previous games. Just to begin with you can finally hire generals :D.

Here's a nice little link to the progress they make on patches. Basically a staff member updates what was done in a days work.

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/53425

It's currently down but it should be up sometime....

Aslong as they dont have a descr_strat file for players to mess around with then I'll never really enjoy the game enough to want to reinstall it.

deltafuzz
29 Jun 2009, 01:08pm
i agree its the best yet

PotshotPolka
1 Jul 2009, 08:46pm
I played a couple pvp games with drac a while back and we won, probably due to ventrilo cooperation, but apparently its become a matter of who has the most arty, but I haven't played in a while.

I'm pissed they haven't released the goddamn campaign MP they were SELLING on as a point to buy the game.

Slash/
2 Jul 2009, 11:02am
I'm pissed they haven't released the goddamn campaign MP they were SELLING on as a point to buy the game.

Has it really been a big thing? I've only seen it mentioned once on a forum by a dev.....

PotshotPolka
2 Jul 2009, 11:44am
Has it really been a big thing? I've only seen it mentioned once on a forum by a dev.....

They were promising to release it in a new update, months ago.

Lordcrazy
2 Jul 2009, 02:12pm
Its the second best in my opinion i personally like rome:total war better. I hope they do a WW1 total war next!

Slash/
2 Jul 2009, 03:14pm
Its the second best in my opinion i personally like rome:total war better. I hope they do a WW1 total war next!

There is a mod for Empire being made that is WW1 and it seems to be turning out very well. Not to mention they are developing at a lightning pace.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/ww1tw

Dracula
2 Jul 2009, 03:38pm
/me wants Civil War mod

c0bra067
5 Jul 2009, 01:13pm
/me wants Civil War mod

That will probably be the next one, then WW1. If the last upgrade is like tanks or something that's going to be fucking sick. Not sure how the battles would go though, seeing how the attacking side will probably be completely wrecked before they can actually gain any ground.

Kennith
5 Jul 2009, 04:02pm
Yea, the game is a lot more complicated than the other previous ones. So that might be a turn off to some, but if you invest your time into this game, a LOT of time into this game, then you will pick it up.

Scree :O
6 Jul 2009, 04:21pm
That will probably be the next one, then WW1. If the last upgrade is like tanks or something that's going to be fucking sick. Not sure how the battles would go though, seeing how the attacking side will probably be completely wrecked before they can actually gain any ground.

I doubt there will be a Total War game focusing on only 1 theater of war. World War I is a possibility, it would be interesting to see how they'd implement trenches and chlorine.

(I'm old greg) Corporal
7 Jul 2009, 09:12am
I like the new total war i find it's much easier then the last one:high5:

Lordcrazy
7 Jul 2009, 05:48pm
I have to disagree with corporal i thought that Medieval 2:Total War was a lot easier since you had less to deal with plus it stinks how you can win battles just because you have the most artillery
p.s. i'm an anti artillery guy so i really hate that.

Drox
7 Jul 2009, 06:57pm
I have to disagree with corporal i thought that Medieval 2:Total War was a lot easier since you had less to deal with plus it stinks how you can win battles just because you have the most artillery
p.s. i'm an anti artillery guy so i really hate that.

yea I agree with you, this game has nothing on Medieval 2 (Cause I liked it more then the first) and Rome. They dropped the ball in my opinion.

Jaffa
8 Jul 2009, 06:06am
Rome and Medival weren't great until a year+ of patching, so give empire some time

LegalSmash
17 Jul 2009, 10:09am
i think the concept behind empire was good, but they have a lot to live up to, mtwii set the bar high. Jaffa is right, give it time to see if it improves, but honestly, shitty AI and low concept "pretty" sea battles are not enough for me to spend money.

Jaffa
17 Jul 2009, 11:03am
i don't think medival 2 set the bar high until a year or so after release, when it was patched up and playable (and he mods came out). I think it will improve, but i haven't played it in a while due to it being way to easy