PDA

View Full Version : Secession could save the GOP?

Drox
3 Jun 2009, 07:40am
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/5/31/731354/-Secession-could-save-the-GOP

Kind of a liberal opinion on the matter in this article, but what interest me is this;

You can't claim to love your country if at the same time you're threatening to tear your country apart. No more that someone can claim to be committed to a marriage while suing for divorce. Perhaps Secessionists might be better off in their own country. The rest of us might be far better off without them. But Secessionists are not Patriots. Secession is the antithesis of patriotism.

Now here is where it pisses me off, I will be honest with you first. I am a strong supporter of what you may call State's rights and a person who wouldnt be upset if Secession happened, but this is where it bothers me. Even tho I feel this way, doesnt make me less American then the person who disagrees. We all have some kind of connection to where we are from, whatever state it may be, usually the first thing you say when someone asks where your from you will say the state not the country. Its just how it works, so with that in mind for someone to feel something enough to care more about their state so itself doesnt fall into this downward spiral that we have caused doesnt make someone un-American. Patriotism is the loyalty to your home, my home being North Carolina which is apart of the Union of states. I love the USA and I'd fight for her, but I also love my state just as much.

Now what he is going on about is how most people who think this way are apart of the GOP, which isnt true. Only real GOP's I have ever heard talk big on secession is in Texas, but come on its Texas afterall. lol I am more of a third party kind of person which makes me more of a Libertarian which I dont call myself much. So to say only extreme GOP believe this is just a slap in the face to the republican party. Also dont get the wrong idea I am not the confederate flag flying guy that you may think would support idea's like this. I am just a concern American who loves his state and homeland, and believes if America isnt gonna work together then why keep the states in a corrupt system that has been screwing its people for years and years now.

Traitors have no proper role in our national debate.

Well what could be said about this statement, that a traitor is someone who doesnt agree with the path the government is taking and wants something more? The real traitors are the ones who allowed our country to be a laughing stock in the world and a disgrace to what our forefathers saw of our nation. I will tell you now, if we had a draft tomorrow then I would more than happy to serve this nation if my name was drawn for selective service. Even tho I'll always be American, I'm also from the great North State of Carolina.

So I know alot of you may see my opinions and ideals a bit out there, but alot more than you think have the same opinions as I do about this. So I would like real opinions on what yall think of this article and where you see America going if something like this did happened to it or if it would ever happen.

Italian Jew
3 Jun 2009, 09:46am
It is from a blog by some Physics guy. I won't take it any further than that.

Drox
3 Jun 2009, 09:48am
It is from a blog by some Physics guy. I won't take it any further than that.

lol I know, its just a issue I feel something about.

LegalSmash
3 Jun 2009, 09:50am
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/5/31/731354/-Secession-could-save-the-GOP

Kind of a liberal opinion on the matter in this article, but what interest me is this;

Now here is where it pisses me off, I will be honest with you first. I am a strong supporter of what you may call State's rights and a person who wouldnt be upset if Secession happened, but this is where it bothers me. Even tho I feel this way, doesnt make me less American then the person who disagrees. We all have some kind of connection to where we are from, whatever state it may be, usually the first thing you say when someone asks where your from you will say the state not the country. Its just how it works, so with that in mind for someone to feel something enough to care more about their state so itself doesnt fall into this downward spiral that we have caused doesnt make someone un-American. Patriotism is the loyalty to your home, my home being North Carolina which is apart of the Union of states. I love the USA and I'd fight for her, but I also love my state just as much.

Now what he is going on about is how most people who think this way are apart of the GOP, which isnt true. Only real GOP's I have ever heard talk big on secession is in Texas, but come on its Texas afterall. lol I am more of a third party kind of person which makes me more of a Libertarian which I dont call myself much. So to say only extreme GOP believe this is just a slap in the face to the republican party. Also dont get the wrong idea I am not the confederate flag flying guy that you may think would support idea's like this. I am just a concern American who loves his state and homeland, and believes if America isnt gonna work together then why keep the states in a corrupt system that has been screwing its people for years and years now.

Well what could be said about this statement, that a traitor is someone who doesnt agree with the path the government is taking and wants something more? The real traitors are the ones who allowed our country to be a laughing stock in the world and a disgrace to what our forefathers saw of our nation. I will tell you now, if we had a draft tomorrow then I would more than happy to serve this nation if my name was drawn for selective service. Even tho I'll always be American, I'm also from the great North State of Carolina.

So I know alot of you may see my opinions and ideals a bit out there, but alot more than you think have the same opinions as I do about this. So I would like real opinions on what yall think of this article and where you see America going if something like this did happened to it or if it would ever happen.

Interesting thoughts, but reality is no one will secede, the reason, most states are far too dependent on mainlining the federal funds they get to stand independently, even groups of states would be incapable of doing so.

Let me elaborate:

NC, SC, TN, AL, TX, and most other states that have talked about this sort of nonsense (that is what it is ultimately), house some of the largest federally dependent population, welfare, social security disability, medicaid, and federal park land. This being the case, no matter what the hoppin mad good ol' boy in charge of the state of (enter state here) may say, he KNOWS his state needs the money, and here's why:

No federal $ = a LOT of people without basic necessities, same people who voted him in because he says he loves Jesus, Babies, Guns, and buying American. Now, he'd have to raise taxes out the ass to come CLOSE to compensating what the state loss due to pulling out of federal support. The states, (Unlike angsty teenagers who's parents will still let them borrow the car after calling Daddy a fascist faggot pig, ) won't get money if they seceded, ALSO they'd have to deal with that lovely declaration of insurrection and martial law that the feds would instantly enact, which would activate that state's national guard, and well, leave the state dependant on the angry fellows who are yelling about secession, which are not as well equipped, armed, or trained as the 200K plus federals that will descend on said state.

Basically, economically, politically, and socially, the concept of a state, especially any of the states crying about it, seceding is preposterous.

If these governors actually gave a shit about being reelected as a GOP candidate, and wanted to show that their point of view and philosophy can be used at a higher level of govt (first step to the white house), what they should do is SHOW it, make programs that rely on GOP principles and actually succeed, and less unfunded mandates relying on already stretched budgets. Eliminate a large amount of unnecessary state employee positions, and reinvent the way they deliver services. THEN, THEN, they will be able to show they can do something more than cry foul and secession.

Any state stupid enough to do this deserves the ugly yoke of federal reacquisition that they will receive.

Drox
3 Jun 2009, 10:03am
Interesting thoughts, but reality is no one will secede, the reason, most states are far too dependent on mainlining the federal funds they get to stand independently, even groups of states would be incapable of doing so.

Let me elaborate:

NC, SC, TN, AL, TX, and most other states that have talked about this sort of nonsense (that is what it is ultimately), house some of the largest federally dependent population, welfare, social security disability, medicaid, and federal park land. This being the case, no matter what the hoppin mad good ol' boy in charge of the state of (enter state here) may say, he KNOWS his state needs the money, and here's why:

No federal $ = a LOT of people without basic necessities, same people who voted him in because he says he loves Jesus, Babies, Guns, and buying American. Now, he'd have to raise taxes out the ass to come CLOSE to compensating what the state loss due to pulling out of federal support. The states, (Unlike angsty teenagers who's parents will still let them borrow the car after calling Daddy a fascist faggot pig, ) won't get money if they seceded, ALSO they'd have to deal with that lovely declaration of insurrection and martial law that the feds would instantly enact, which would activate that state's national guard, and well, leave the state dependant on the angry fellows who are yelling about secession, which are not as well equipped, armed, or trained as the 200K plus federals that will descend on said state.

Basically, economically, politically, and socially, the concept of a state, especially any of the states crying about it, seceding is preposterous.

If these governors actually gave a shit about being reelected as a GOP candidate, and wanted to show that their point of view and philosophy can be used at a higher level of govt (first step to the white house), what they should do is SHOW it, make programs that rely on GOP principles and actually succeed, and less unfunded mandates relying on already stretched budgets. Eliminate a large amount of unnecessary state employee positions, and reinvent the way they deliver services. THEN, THEN, they will be able to show they can do something more than cry foul and secession.

Any state stupid enough to do this deserves the ugly yoke of federal reacquisition that they will receive.

I can see what your talking about here, and I agree any state who does decide somehow to do it will pay, but I dont think it will be a crushing victory for the federal government. Since even if they decide to crush it, they then have the issue of what states now look at it as killing its own Americans then more states fall out and then you have a full blown civil war again. It would be a crazy domino effect, or it wont, but chances of it happening are unlikely any time soon.

LegalSmash
3 Jun 2009, 10:11am
I can see what your talking about here, and I agree any state who does decide somehow to do it will pay, but I dont think it will be a crushing victory for the federal government. Since even if they decide to crush it, they then have the issue of what states now look at it as killing its own Americans then more states fall out and then you have a full blown civil war again. It would be a crazy domino effect, or it wont, but chances of it happening are unlikely any time soon.

Again, they would not even have to fight them, just cut funding, watch how crazy Auntie Deb with her 400 lb carcass and diabetes amputations calls her governor and starts screaming when the disability check isnt rolling in.

Drox
3 Jun 2009, 10:26am
Again, they would not even have to fight them, just cut funding, watch how crazy Auntie Deb with her 400 lb carcass and diabetes amputations calls her governor and starts screaming when the disability check isnt rolling in.

lol true true

sheriff
29 Jun 2009, 12:10pm

THIS

Red
29 Jun 2009, 12:24pm
It's dailykos, won't click on that shit.

broncoty
29 Jun 2009, 12:34pm
It's dailykos, won't click on that shit.

Same. That website is a clusterfuck of delusional semen licking liberals.

Drox
29 Jun 2009, 12:47pm
THIS

bump old threads much? lol

sheriff
29 Jun 2009, 01:32pm
bump old threads much? lol

don't QQ, it's not even a month old.

Drox
29 Jun 2009, 01:34pm
don't QQ, it's not even a month old.

QQ? lol learn ure shit man before you try throwing internet insults at someone for pointing out that ure nercroing post :P no need to get butthurt lol

RedOctober
29 Jun 2009, 01:53pm
dont worry Drox,

he has been doing it on most of the other forums also...

LegalSmash
29 Jun 2009, 08:56pm
Sherrif appears to be a failtroll newfag.

Bad Dog
29 Jun 2009, 09:29pm
Sherrif appears to be a failtroll newfag.

THIS

Lulz