PDA

View Full Version : "the base" wants GOP to be harder on the Hon. Sotomayor

LegalSmash
2 Jun 2009, 10:00am
http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20090602/pl_politico/23212

I think GOP's strategy currently (not including pundits and currently nonelected former elected officials) is as good as they can hope for currently. Their reputation as a party with hispanics will suffer terribly (one of their last supportive minority groups) if they go about opposing Sotomayor in the wrong way.

This being the case, the best ways to challenge her would be on issues relating to small business practices, court cases dealing with parent's rights to raise their children under X or Y ideology, and stay ing as far as hell away as possible from the facecious racial commentary that certain people have been spewing all over the airwaves.

Mitch and company should brush up on their civil procedure, abstention doctrine, and bulwarks of justice to give a hard, purposeful, and thoughtful criticism, engaging the congress in a lively debate over the woman's judicial philosophies.

I don't think charging headlong screaming like a fanatic gunning down an abortion doctor is a good idea at all in this situation, but rather, tread lightly and purposefully, because the media, on both sides of the conservative and liberal slide have done a good job of running the 'white men need affirmative action comment' that Buchanan spat out last week after calling the woman racist and saying that the fact four women were chosen implied the nomination was going to be completely based on affirmative action.

I want to see a good debate on this woman this summer.

Does ANYONE have an intelligent comment to make on this?

PotshotPolka
2 Jun 2009, 02:16pm
I want to see a good debate on this woman this summer.

:lol:

On a serious note, she seems quite anti-business in a couple rulings that got overturned by the Supreme Court, and beyond that I don't really care, racial, or otherwise, with the exception that she may be an activist judge, but that wouldn't be anything new anyways.

Red
2 Jun 2009, 02:20pm
she seems to put emotion, race, other superficialities above logic and reason.

Obama nominated her for a reason.

roach coach
3 Jun 2009, 12:57am
I facepalm at the argument from political one-issuers that she is a member of a "Latino KKK". Wouldn't that make the NAACP a black KKK?

Drox
3 Jun 2009, 01:30am
I facepalm at the argument from political one-issuers that she is a member of a "Latino KKK". Wouldn't that make the NAACP a black KKK?

A black KKK no! Just a organization that loves to make sure the whites are always the ones in the wrong no matter the crime or issue. ;) Its a organization that isnt like the KKK but it is damn close to it. lol

Back on topic tho, I honestly cant say I like her in the position for one single issue that I am very strong about which is Gun Control, she believes every state should be like DC where guns are almost outlawed. Of course it will never happen, but I hate seeing another one of those kinds of people in a high position of power who dont know anything about the issue except guns kill so we should get rid of em, but what they dont understand is the guns that most pro criminals use arent even sold over the counter Legally.

Now all of the other things she is against and with isnt different then any other but she must remember she is a judge who must remain neutral no matter the case like any other judge. SO hopefully she keeps that in mind when one of this issue's may come her way.

So really my point being, its just another Liberal who thinks the same as any other which isnt surprising if Obama picked her.

LegalSmash
3 Jun 2009, 06:26am
A black KKK no! Just a organization that loves to make sure the whites are always the ones in the wrong no matter the crime or issue. ;) Its a organization that isnt like the KKK but it is damn close to it. lol

Back on topic tho, I honestly cant say I like her in the position for one single issue that I am very strong about which is Gun Control, she believes every state should be like DC where guns are almost outlawed. Of course it will never happen, but I hate seeing another one of those kinds of people in a high position of power who dont know anything about the issue except guns kill so we should get rid of em, but what they dont understand is the guns that most pro criminals use arent even sold over the counter Legally.

Now all of the other things she is against and with isnt different then any other but she must remember she is a judge who must remain neutral no matter the case like any other judge. SO hopefully she keeps that in mind when one of this issue's may come her way.

So really my point being, its just another Liberal who thinks the same as any other which isnt surprising if Obama picked her.

Did you even bother to look at some of the opinions on her out there?

You really cast the NAACP in a pejorative light. I'd be more wary of liberal political correctness groups more than the NAACP. They are nothing like the Klan.

As for gun rights, its not one of the amendments that is forced onto the states, which is why the states CAN regulate to a very high degree, but cannot deny the right. Ergo, DC is technically within its rights.

As for her liberalism, while I do not doubt it, she's the LEAST liberal of the 4 finalists chosen, and if you really expect Obama to pick a non liberal judge to replace a liberal judge on the smaller liberal wing of the court, you must be delusional, or simply wishful and naive.

Drox
3 Jun 2009, 06:53am
Did you even bother to look at some of the opinions on her out there?

You really cast the NAACP in a pejorative light. I'd be more wary of liberal political correctness groups more than the NAACP. They are nothing like the Klan.

As for gun rights, its not one of the amendments that is forced onto the states, which is why the states CAN regulate to a very high degree, but cannot deny the right. Ergo, DC is technically within its rights.

As for her liberalism, while I do not doubt it, she's the LEAST liberal of the 4 finalists chosen, and if you really expect Obama to pick a non liberal judge to replace a liberal judge on the smaller liberal wing of the court, you must be delusional, or simply wishful and naive.

Opinions are like assholes...I think you get it. I have my own opinion and thats what I was sharing.

You can say they are nothing like the klan, but usually they have the same agenda which is looking out for your own race and your races rights only instead of the big picture that we are all Americans. To me they are exactly the same in the part, racist who knows, everyone can be alittle sometimes I wasnt saying they were.

As far as the gun rights go, yes states have the right to regulate, but alot of people like her want the federal government to be the regulators instead of allowing the state to decide. Which concerns alot of gun owners who wish to keep certain regulations to the extent of the second amendment. So in other words, alot of the Liberals wish for the senate to be the regulators and that bothers people which is something she supports.

Also my last statement was partly sarcasm that it wasnt surprising and its expected of Obama. lol

LegalSmash
3 Jun 2009, 07:36am
Opinions are like assholes...I think you get it. I have my own opinion and thats what I was sharing.

You can say they are nothing like the klan, but usually they have the same agenda which is looking out for your own race and your races rights only instead of the big picture that we are all Americans. To me they are exactly the same in the part, racist who knows, everyone can be alittle sometimes I wasnt saying they were.

As far as the gun rights go, yes states have the right to regulate, but alot of people like her want the federal government to be the regulators instead of allowing the state to decide. Which concerns alot of gun owners who wish to keep certain regulations to the extent of the second amendment. So in other words, alot of the Liberals wish for the senate to be the regulators and that bothers people which is something she supports.

Also my last statement was partly sarcasm that it wasnt surprising and its expected of Obama. lol

But , legally speaking, without a constitutional amendment removing the 2nd they CAN'T be.

Drox
3 Jun 2009, 07:47am
But , legally speaking, without a constitutional amendment removing the 2nd they CAN'T be.

That is why it bothers alot of people including me that they would even suggest it, but that doesnt stop them from suggesting it. I said before tho, it may never happen but it is something she supports which I strongly disagree with.

PotshotPolka
3 Jun 2009, 08:15am
I think when you refer to the NAACP you ought to be referring to the Rainbow Coalition.