PDA

View Full Version : inFAMOUS Full review

Bad Dog
30 May 2009, 05:05pm
Sick of the traditional Spider Man games they pump out right before the movie? Sick of the linear level based X-men games that are mere button-mash fests? Then inFAMOUS might be the game for you. inFAMOUS is an original IP from Sucker Punch studios.

You may remember them for their stylish stealth game Sly Cooper. If you ever did play Sly Cooper you immediatly will recognize a lot of the ways Cole (the Hero/Anti-Hero) does some things. On trains Cole stands like Sly, legs apart in an almost crouching look. If hes standing in a knee deep pond at a park, he's electricuted like Sly would be, back on that later. Hell even the way he talks and runs is reminiscent of Sly.

The obvious hook of the game here is the powers. Coles ability to manipulate and control electricity is both original and fun. Cole starts out with the ability to send electric shocks from his hands, and his powers progress from there. One might ask, how do you obtain said powers? Do you buy them from some menu and then magically obtain them like in some games? No, because the targeted audience for this game is not 5, and wont believe that shit (Not to say there arent SOME power upgrade menus, but that really is how superheroes upgrade their powers..) In inFAMOUS, powers are obtained by powering on substations throughout the city to return electricity to blacked out areas. These blacked out areas are warzones BTW, as there are very limited ways to obtain electricty and the Gangs there are swarming.

The gangs themselves are O.K. The first gang, the Reapers, are the gang you will be most passionate about fighting, mainly because there is a video explaining who they are, where they came from and what their doing to the city. The other two gangs just dont have that which dissapointed me.

The game itself is both forgiving and challenging. Many of the missions, mainly the first few, make the game out to be easy. You will be surprised how fast the game can go from "La la la *Blast blast blast* La la la" too "SHIT, *BLAST BLAST* *BOOM* RUN RUN NO NOT ANOTHER ROCKET LAUNCHER!" It gets hard. Luckily, this game seems to not fear something all other game developers seem to be deathly afraid of. Save points, in the mission itself. Get killed by some lucky bastard? Not to worry! You'll be teleported maybe a minute from where you died. Its that simple, and that much more of a difference from the horror of GTA 4's save spots.

The voice acting is ok, Cole sounds like Christian Bale when hes batman, raspy and very serious. Most conversing is done via Coles hands free phone thats pinned to his leather coat. Speaking of which, do you remember in GTA 4 a certain character named Roman? Your annoying cousin that seemed to call you every god damn minute asking if you "Want to go titty bar?" At least those calls were randomized, but for some reason, the developers decided that their "Comic relief character" Zeke, would call you after EVERY side mission, DURING missions, and whenever else he god damn felt like it. It gets annoying, fast.

The story, is to say the least, decent. There are some things that seem cliche, but the hook of the story is the games Karma Moments. These are moments where time freezes and Cole thinks about the moral dillemea presented to him. While every game now seems to have these Good/Bad choices, this game does it right. Weighing the consequences out before having to do so. Karma itself affects Cole, if your Karma is Champion or Hero, your lighting is the standard blue and your upgrades, bought with experience from kills/missions, are more about presescion. If your karma is outlaw, thug or infamous, your lighting turns to bad ass red, Cole himself turns grey skinned and evil looking, and his power upgrades are more about the "Boom." If you made it through this long ass review, not only do you really want to learn about this game, you also of the attention span of a genius on brain steroids. So go on, buy the game or geddouttaher!

Gumpy
31 May 2009, 04:53am
Sick of the traditional Spider Man games they pump out right before the movie? Sick of the linear level based X-men games that are mere button-mash fests? Then inFAMOUS might be the game for you. inFAMOUS is an original IP from Sucker Punch studios. You may remember them for their stylish stealth game Sly Cooper. If you ever did play Sly Cooper you immediatly will recognize a lot of the ways Cole (the Hero/Anti-Hero) does some things. On trains Cole stands like Sly, legs apart in an almost crouching look. If hes standing in a knee deep pond at a park, he's electricuted like Sly would be, back on that later. Hell even the way he talks and runs is reminiscent of Sly. The obvious hook of the game here is the powers. Coles ability to manipulate and control electricity is both original and fun. Cole starts out with the ability to send electric shocks from his hands, and his powers progress from there. One might ask, how do you obtain said powers? Do you buy them from some menu and then magically obtain them like in some games? No, because the targeted audience for this game is not 5, and wont believe that shit (Not to say there arent SOME power upgrade menus, but that really is how superheroes upgrade their powers..) In inFAMOUS, powers are obtained by powering on substations throughout the city to return electricity to blacked out areas. These blacked out areas are warzones BTW, as there are very limited ways to obtain electricty and the Gangs there are swarming. The gangs themselves are O.K. The first gang, the Reapers, are the gang you will be most passionate about fighting, mainly because there is a video explaining who they are, where they came from and what their doing to the city. The other two gangs just dont have that which dissapointed me. The game itself is both forgiving and challenging. Many of the missions, mainly the first few, make the game out to be easy. You will be surprised how fast the game can go from "La la la *Blast blast blast* La la la" too "SHIT, *BLAST BLAST* *BOOM* RUN RUN NO NOT ANOTHER ROCKET LAUNCHER!" It gets hard. Luckily, this game seems to not fear something all other game developers seem to be deathly afraid of. Save points, in the mission itself. Get killed by some lucky bastard? Not to worry! You'll be teleported maybe a minute from where you died. Its that simple, and that much more of a difference from the horror of GTA 4's save spots. The voice acting is ok, Cole sounds like Christian Bale when hes batman, raspy and very serious. Most conversing is done via Coles hands free phone thats pinned to his leather coat. Speaking of which, do you remember in GTA 4 a certain character named Roman? Your annoying cousin that seemed to call you every god damn minute asking if you "Want to go titty bar?" At least those calls were randomized, but for some reason, the developers decided that their "Comic relief character" Zeke, would call you after EVERY side mission, DURING missions, and whenever else he god damn felt like it. It gets annoying, fast. The story, is to say the least, decent. There are some things that seem cliche, but the hook of the story is the games Karma Moments. These are moments where time freezes and Cole thinks about the moral dillemea presented to him. While every game now seems to have these Good/Bad choices, this game does it right. Weighing the consequences out before having to do so. Karma itself affects Cole, if your Karma is Champion or Hero, your lighting is the standard blue and your upgrades, bought with experience from kills/missions, are more about presescion. If your karma is outlaw, thug or infamous, your lighting turns to bad ass red, Cole himself turns grey skinned and evil looking, and his power upgrades are more about the "Boom." If you made it through this long ass review, not only do you really want to learn about this game, you also of the attention span of a genius on brain steroids. So go on, buy the game or geddouttaher!

WALL OF TEXT! Try using paragraphs.

Trogdor
31 May 2009, 09:11am
WALL OF TEXT! Try using paragraphs.

Agreed but everything else was good, nice review.

I went hero instead of infamous. Seemed cooler. Next time I play, it's definitely going to be infamous. The red looks hot.

Crimson
31 May 2009, 09:29am
No Offense, but I couldn't read that.

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20021223_05_mistake.gif

Bad Dog
31 May 2009, 12:44pm
Agreed but everything else was good, nice review.

I went hero instead of infamous. Seemed cooler. Next time I play, it's definitely going to be infamous. The red looks hot.

same. I always play through a game Good the first time. And BTW Wall of Text. FIXED

Trogdor
31 May 2009, 12:50pm
same. I always play through a game Good the first time. And BTW Wall of Text. FIXED

Nice, might want to put titles on them. Example;

Gameplay

Just a suggestion, good review. It's more 'reader friendly' now.

Bad Dog
31 May 2009, 12:54pm
Just beat inFAMOUS. Worth the beat. Deffinetly playing a second time through as Evil, and gonna spend a shit more time in black out zones challenging myself

ninjaz1337
31 May 2009, 02:32pm
Just beat inFAMOUS. Worth the beat. Deffinetly playing a second time through as Evil, and gonna spend a shit more time in black out zones challenging myself

Wow, beat it already? Augh, too bad I don't have a PS3.

Dante
31 May 2009, 02:34pm
Yeah if i had a ps3 i would totally get this game it looks pretty sick.

Bad Dog
31 May 2009, 05:43pm
Ya i beat it already after maybe 3 straight gameplay days, story may be kind of shortish, not really, but after all of sotry and some side missions i was onlky 43% complete so yea..

Metal
4 Jun 2009, 08:36pm
haha who reads i got a $2000 program that reads for me.

ya the game was ok........ to much like spiderman

Bad Dog
5 Jun 2009, 06:16am
haha who reads i got a $2000 program that reads for me.

ya the game was ok........ to much like spiderman

how? open world superhero game? Felt more like crackdown if anything.

Kappa The 3rd
9 Jun 2009, 06:37pm
Damn myself for buying a 360 but maybe prototype will be good =P
infamous looks like a game that would make me want to buy the ps3 that or Resistance

Bad Dog
9 Jun 2009, 06:39pm
Damn myself for buying a 360 but maybe prototype will be good =P
infamous looks like a game that would make me want to buy the ps3 that or Resistance

I bought ps3 for MGS4. inFAMOUS is good but not that good..but PS3 has a whole slew of good games coming it looks like so yay!

Kappa The 3rd
10 Jun 2009, 05:12am
I have a friend with a PS3 and he loves MGS4. I tried once I personally cant stand it

Trogdor
10 Jun 2009, 05:45am
I don't get why so many people like MGS4. Gameplay didn't seem so awesome.

I dont know about you guys, but I have been waiting for inFamous and it's, imo, the best game out there right now (behind afro samurai which was surprisingly fun).

Kappa The 3rd
10 Jun 2009, 03:39pm
I feel MGS4 is to run and gun, not all that sneaky hide in a box and crawl around type deal

the inFamous commercial makes me shiver its so awesome xD
someone give me a PS3 please ='(

Chaos
10 Jun 2009, 06:17pm
Sounds awesome, thanks for the review

Ultramarine
10 Jun 2009, 07:36pm
I feel MGS4 is to run and gun, not all that sneaky hide in a box and crawl around type deal

the inFamous commercial makes me shiver its so awesome xD
someone give me a PS3 please ='(

Actually, with MGS4, you can do both... i beat the game several times, sometimes i just sneaked my way through the levels... other times i'd run n gun... They made it so you could choose any style you wanted...

Kappa The 3rd
10 Jun 2009, 10:47pm
hmmm might have to give it a try again if thats the case, I liked splinter cell 1 for that reason that if you started to run and gun youd end up dead

Bad Dog
13 Jun 2009, 04:19pm
I don't get why so many people like MGS4. Gameplay didn't seem so awesome.

I dont know about you guys, but I have been waiting for inFamous and it's, imo, the best game out there right now (behind afro samurai which was surprisingly fun).

They made the gameplay so you can do both as said, but the mere variances in the levels, and so many cinematic moments, not just in cut-scenes but also in the game itself. During the motorcycle scene it took me forever to figure out it was a gameplay part and not a cutscene.

PuMa
24 Jun 2009, 01:16pm
where can i find the demo of infamous but im going to buy prototype

PuMa
24 Jun 2009, 01:17pm
Infamous is awesome not for nothing

Bad Dog
24 Jun 2009, 02:07pm
Its on Playstation Network dude

TheTruth
26 Jun 2009, 08:51pm
I only need to beat 5 more missions to finish xD Then I gotta do all the races, orbs, etc :D

Lordcrazy
2 Jul 2009, 02:20pm
It was awesome!!! But ive only played the demo so don't take my word for it...