PDA

View Full Version : Increased Ban lengths for griefers

Jack Napier
23 May 2009, 09:56pm
I don't think the current ban policy is working. Griefers will continue to grief, because that's what they do.

I'd like to see harsher ban periods for obvious griefers(2-3 weeks), and very harsh periods for repeat griefers like a permaban. The reason I think the current policy is terrible is because of the flow of public vs regular SG players. The more lenient we are with griefers, the less good players we see. The less griefers casual players see, the more likely they are to stay with us.

It's better to permaban a single repeat griefer than it is to let him drive away potential regular players who follow the rules. I view the player list on Escape I before joining servers now because often times I'd see someone who was purposefully being a douche before. IE: taking stairs in BlackMesa every time and then saying "LOL I was making a challenge, don't get so worked up about it." Namely I'm referring to "CL600 {New York}" in that example.

Thoughts? I just think there could be a major overhaul. If it's accidental, yeah that's okay just teleport and slay him, hell, the occasion grief when there's only 1 zombie is funny, but repeat after repeat offenders are dicks and should not be shown mercy.

Drox
23 May 2009, 10:05pm
I believe they have a 3 strike system for permabans but im not sure, as far as permaban someone for petty shit that deserves a kick or a few day ban I think would be alittle harsh to where only reg to the server would even want to play since it seems you think we should be a Iron fist when it comes to getting rid of small offensives.

Also

If it's accidental, yeah that's okay just teleport and slay him

dude wtf? So if its accidental the person should get punished aswell? Thank god ure not a admin lol thats just crap to even suggest accidental blocking or glitching is a slayable offense since the person either didnt mean to or was glitch or blocked by another. I think instead of turning the servers into Soviet Union Russia I think maybe the admins should just watch the offenders better, dont suck the fun out of the server where everyone has to worry about being banned or kick for accidental shit.

Shadowex3
23 May 2009, 10:06pm
If you dig through the ban/complaint related archives you'll see that originally misbehavior of all kinds was dealt with far more harshly. Even posting in an appeal or complaint thread that someone wasn't directly involved in was outright against the rules.

Nowadays good luck even getting a racist banned for more than a day or two.

CandleJack
23 May 2009, 10:59pm
If you dig through the ban/complaint related archives you'll see that originally misbehavior of all kinds was dealt with far more harshly. Even posting in an appeal or complaint thread that someone wasn't directly involved in was outright against the rules.

Nowadays good luck even getting a racist banned for more than a day or two.

a racist being banned for a day? I always go for a week or even perm when it comes to racism

Now to jack, we do have a three strike rules (but in my opinion we do not use it enough) one example of this was the incident with jiggle, he had 8 bans, 2 or 3 he was led into, but that leaves 5 that were real. Also (i believe highsky remembers this one) there was a player who had gotten 9 bans in maybe 3 weeks i believe and he was not put down for a perm until the 9th ban, so in retrospect, we do need to become a little more strict on griefers because there will always be people who "slide" past the three strike rule because some admins do not check their bans for priors (for a period of time me and psyche were the ones asking for perms), so if the higher ups could deliberate on this it would be appreciated because the ban system NEEDS to be stricter.

EDIT: here is the guy with the 9 bans

http://www.steamgamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14917

-Scout

SoulKeeper
24 May 2009, 12:37am
Freekillers ought to be perma banned.
(The ones who enter SG and kill 10 people for the "lulz".)
They know what they're doing, they're just going to troll again.

Blockers deserve a harsh punishment 1st time aswell.
They know it's against the rules, yet they're doing it to piss people off.

Dante
24 May 2009, 01:35am
Well it really doesn't work that way. They'll get banned for a few days and they might just say fuck it, Or they come back and grief some more. But I don't think you should perma ban alot of ppl when sometimes they don't know the rules/or accidental glitches or tks It happens. It's part of the game and you should learn to live with it.

Yes, There will be Rulebreakers just doing it for the shits & Giggles but they usually in most cases get whats comming to them. Just gotta learn and let live. And if you feel that they need a permaban just ask an AO/BD or the banning admin to see if it can be increased, because most likely it will happen.

Shadowex3
24 May 2009, 01:47am
It's a matter of the culture that's fostered. When bans require proof by the banning admin (really not hard, as we're told all the time), admin complaints are taken seriously, and certain hard-liner offenses such as racism or true trolling are instant perms then a lot of the rest of the garbage simply gets self-policed because people realise that they won't get away with it and without the lulz of returning to see reactions and continue there's no point.

FightingRooster
24 May 2009, 11:13am
I don't think the current ban policy is working. Griefers will continue to grief, because that's what they do.

I'd like to see harsher ban periods for obvious griefers(2-3 weeks), and very harsh periods for repeat griefers like a permaban. The reason I think the current policy is terrible is because of the flow of public vs regular SG players. The more lenient we are with griefers, the less good players we see. The less griefers casual players see, the more likely they are to stay with us.

It's better to permaban a single repeat griefer than it is to let him drive away potential regular players who follow the rules. I view the player list on Escape I before joining servers now because often times I'd see someone who was purposefully being a douche before. IE: taking stairs in BlackMesa every time and then saying "LOL I was making a challenge, don't get so worked up about it." Namely I'm referring to "CL600 {New York}" in that example.

Thoughts? I just think there could be a major overhaul. If it's accidental, yeah that's okay just teleport and slay him, hell, the occasion grief when there's only 1 zombie is funny, but repeat after repeat offenders are dicks and should not be shown mercy.

As mentioned, our 3 step system really works wonders (most of the time) for certain members who just keep coming back and breaking rules.

One thing that I'd like to note is that I've seen too many members break rules and sometimes even regulars.

SoulKeeper
24 May 2009, 12:17pm
One thing that I'd like to note is that I've seen too many members break rules and sometimes even regulars.

People who think they're bullet proof by being .mem, .reg

Awacs
24 May 2009, 12:39pm
People who think they're bullet proof by being .mem, .reg

That's why you ban them for breaking the rules. Then ban them again for not taking off the tag. It WILL get the message across. You are advertising Steam Gamers. Act respectfully or don't wear the tag.

Shadowex3
24 May 2009, 01:47pm
That's why you ban them for breaking the rules. Then ban them again for not taking off the tag. It WILL get the message across. You are advertising Steam Gamers. Act respectfully or don't wear the tag.

Awacs you can scream racial slurs at people at not get banned as long as it's not against black people, do you think ^^^that is going to even get someone's attention?

Bad Dog
24 May 2009, 01:51pm
I know racial slur griefing is gay. But cmon, you ALL laugh when a soundboard/music is just bothering that ONE guy with anger issues. I have seen people get in fights with soundboards. Thats funny as shit.

Leon
24 May 2009, 01:54pm
If they cant read the MOTD and end up breaking the rules, the admins know what to do.

Drox
24 May 2009, 02:25pm
Awacs you can scream racial slurs at people at not get banned as long as it's not against black people, do you think ^^^that is going to even get someone's attention?

lol nice to know only racial slurs against one race is offensive, start calling the admins Rev. Jesse Jackson's :P

Dante
24 May 2009, 06:37pm
I don't like any racial slur but if ppl call me cracker i really don't care because it's not a really good slur it's kinda pathetic.

Shadowex3
24 May 2009, 06:55pm
lol nice to know only racial slurs against one race is offensive, start calling the admins Rev. Jesse Jackson's :P

http://www.steamgamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17531

I have. That's the only reason a screaming racist got banned for 3 days.

Dracula
24 May 2009, 07:03pm

Quite funny isnt it?

Shadowex3
24 May 2009, 08:13pm
Funny is Ms Blargh trying to fly a pod when she's drunk.

DoubleSb
24 May 2009, 08:43pm
Funny is Ms Blargh trying to fly a pod when she's drunk.

Huh Wut?

Dante
25 May 2009, 10:13am

^ this is what i think should be happening to Ppl when the say "damn jews" or have nazi names or something. It can be offensive. Instead of just the Offensive "Nword" term or Cracka (which i find not offensive and i'm white) I find no offense in that statement. But if someone called me a Nazi, Jew, Nword, etc. I would ask them to stop or ban them but if they called me a cracka i would laugh. I think some of these "Racial Terms" should be adjusted. Because they let stupid things slide and perm ban for Cracka? wtf is up with that.:twitch:

Jack Napier
26 May 2009, 10:14am
I know racial slur griefing is gay. But cmon, you ALL laugh when a soundboard/music is just bothering that ONE guy with anger issues. I have seen people get in fights with soundboards. Thats funny as shit.

Yeah that's sometime enlightening

^ this is what i think should be happening to Ppl when the say "damn jews" or have nazi names or something. It can be offensive. Instead of just the Offensive "Nword" term or Cracka (which i find not offensive and i'm white) I find no offense in that statement. But if someone called me a Nazi, Jew, Nword, etc. I would ask them to stop or ban them but if they called me a cracka i would laugh. I think some of these "Racial Terms" should be adjusted. Because they let stupid things slide and perm ban for Cracka? wtf is up with that.:twitch:

I have a spray that says "Stop Israeli Genocide" with a Palestinian flag, not exactly anti-jewish, it's in the same vain as anti-americanism or anti-imperialism, if you watched what happened in Gaza.

But it's crazy it takes 9 bans for someone to be permabanned for greifing. Why can't an admin come in undercover for a few rounds, and then ban someone for a month when he sees greifing 3 rounds in a row by the same person? Why should that get a warning when you know he's going to do it when the admin leaves?

High
26 May 2009, 10:35am
But it's crazy it takes 9 bans for someone to be permabanned for greifing. Why can't an admin come in undercover for a few rounds, and then ban someone for a month when he sees greifing 3 rounds in a row by the same person? Why should that get a warning when you know he's going to do it when the admin leaves?

As a clarification, to that, that was an obvious fluke. we cant be everywhere at once and even the best of times, something will slip under the communities radar. He was requested for a perm on his second ban, but there was not enough to ban him at that point because 1 was 5 mins..

As for Racism, I dont give a crap who or what you are, If your handing out offensive statements, you are gonna be smacked down hard.

b0red
26 May 2009, 03:39pm
i think permaban should only go to haxers and ppl who disobey the rules way to much and have been banned before

Dracula
26 May 2009, 03:40pm
i think permaban should only go to haxers and ppl who disobey the rules way to much and have been banned before

Simply no.:sleep:

Awacs
26 May 2009, 04:10pm

Simply no.:sleep:

Agreed Dracula.

Bad Dog
26 May 2009, 10:28pm
I believe that 1. Powernos is wrong. 2. Rascists are assholes. Plain and simple. I absoloutley hate Nazi sprays/names.

Dante
27 May 2009, 07:12am
I believe that 1. Powernos is wrong. 2. Rascists are assholes. Plain and simple. I absoloutley hate Nazi sprays/names.

And yet from what i've seen i'm the only one that takes offense to Nazi names and sprays and I'm the only one telling them to change spray/name. I have seen noone else take offense to this. :mad:

Dracula
27 May 2009, 12:56pm
And yet from what i've seen i'm the only one that takes offense to Nazi names and sprays and I'm the only one telling them to change spray/name. I have seen noone else take offense to this. :mad:
Fucking seriously....
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp120/ninetwentyfour924/facepalm.jpg

Huwajux
27 May 2009, 01:32pm
Fucking seriously....
These things are getting old, real fast.

Dracula
27 May 2009, 01:41pm
These things are getting old, real fast.

So are his and your posts, but I obviously cant stop either so I can only react.

Huwajux
27 May 2009, 01:46pm
So are his and your posts, but I obviously cant stop either so I can only react.
With the amount of facepalm images people are using, the joke is wearing thin. You can only be a complete asshole and make someone look stupid a number of times before people get tired of it. If you can't think of anything constructive to say, then it would be best if you didn't post at all. It's much more healthy for you instead of trying to belittle someone on the forums in order to try and gain some sort of respect which you clearly feel you lack, otherwise you wouldn't be such a smartass to people in the first place.

Or are you naturally the way you are?

Dracula
27 May 2009, 01:48pm
With the amount of facepalm images people are using, the joke is wearing thin. You can only be a complete asshole and make someone look stupid a number of times before people get tired of it. If you can't think of anything constructive to say, then it would be preferable if you didn't post at all, instead of trying to belittle someone on the forums in order to try and gain some sort of respect which you clearly feel you lack otherwise you wouldn't be so rude to people in the first place.

Keep hoping your in my head, there is now way im going to be constructive to someone who does not just post dumb things sometimes [we all do] but constantly does.

Huwajux
27 May 2009, 01:51pm
Keep hoping your in my head, there is now way im going to be constructive to someone who does not just post dumb things sometimes [we all do] but constantly does.
So you feel that making someone feel like a complete dumbass is the 'smart' thing to do?

Dracula
27 May 2009, 01:53pm
So you feel that making someone feel like a complete dumbass is the 'smart' thing to do?

Nope, but when you dont know your a dumbass and fail to try and not be one im not going to try and be nice. [Look what happens when we do that, we get Jiggle and Kay]

Huwajux
27 May 2009, 01:54pm
Nope, but when you dont know your a dumbass and fail to try and not be one im not going to try and be nice. [Look what happens when we do that, we get Jiggle and Kay]
I never said be nice, I just said don't post.

Dracula
27 May 2009, 01:56pm
I say we move this to PM's.

Hazardous
27 May 2009, 02:30pm

Maybe if they would feel like a complete dumbass once in a while for BEING a complete dumbass they'll know better and the world will be a happier place?

Dante
27 May 2009, 04:14pm
I should say this if your gonna call me a dumbass (at least thats what i get from these) you can shut it. Cause that post was serious I don't see any other admin take offense to the Nazi bullshit. Only me.

Dracula
27 May 2009, 04:17pm
I should say this if your gonna call me a dumbass (at least thats what i get from these) you can shut it. Cause that post was serious I don't see any other admin take offense to the Nazi bullshit. Only me.

Bad Dog
27 May 2009, 04:38pm

Dude if I see a guy with a nazi spray/name and hes just bein a dick about it. And hes a Terrorist. And Im a CT. And its on a PB server. You can do the math what type of offense im going to commit. =P

Shadowex3
27 May 2009, 05:05pm

It really is pretty much only you, i mean just look at the thread I posted. Not only was the guy originally not banned but they tried to excuse, condone, and justify is actions. Think about that for a second.

High
27 May 2009, 05:50pm
Im locking this If you cant play nice in threads dont play at all.