PDA

View Full Version : Home school

VirDeBello
15 Nov 2007, 06:03am
My mom has brought up the idea that I take home school so I can help my dad with his business and such. The question is that I have no clue what home school is about just that you don't go to school no more. lol Has anyone here taken home school?

Omega
15 Nov 2007, 09:05am
I know a few people that were homeschooled. Some of them even taught themselves. I don't know how that works, but ironically, they're quite intelligent.

Zero001
15 Nov 2007, 09:14am
I know a few people that were homeschooled. Some of them even taught themselves. I don't know how that works, but ironically, they're quite intelligent.
Yup, I know a few of those.

I personally wouldn't give up on the High School experience. At times I felt like shoving my foot up it's ass, but I also got a lot of good out of it and the good was far greater than the bad. The decision is up to you and your family. Good luck with whatever you decide, you can't go wrong with whatever is best for you.

Red
15 Nov 2007, 09:17am
If your dad's business is money, and you'll get to inherit it, I'd do it.

Then again I'm a greedy bastard.

Arc
15 Nov 2007, 09:27am
Homeschool is great, and usually very smart kids come out of it. But they're usually not prepared for a college curriculum, or social situations. The best thing I'd say is to stay in school, it may suck, but when its over you have all those retarded moments to look back on.

VirDeBello
15 Nov 2007, 01:06pm
Well lol this is my last year of high school so I think I am good, I mean my voice won't croak when I talk to a girl or I won't throw up when a pop quiz comes up. lol I think I'll take home school, it would just be better overall.

Red
15 Nov 2007, 02:06pm
What business does your dad run?

Slavic
15 Nov 2007, 05:31pm
From what I heard from people I know who were home schooled, you are to pass certain tests that the, state? school district? not sure which, provides for you. You are given a certain curriculum and test in those topics.

Honestly I wouldn't give up my public school experience for home school. It gives you a 4 years head start on realizing that most people in the world are idiots : D

£cho
15 Nov 2007, 05:35pm
Homeschooling is fine and all, but as mentioned, sometimes you have to make a fool of yourself to learn important lessons in life. Granted, I'm sure you could eventually learn these lessons too after homeschooling, but having people to lean on, friends to hang with, and people to hate can really make a difference when it comes to living your life and finding a job (although it seems like you've got that second one covered).

Then again, it's not for us to decide your future, so hell, do whatever you want. :rolleyes:

Reunion
15 Nov 2007, 05:44pm
you mean to say, that after three years of being the underdog in high school, you're giving up your senior year, the year when you get to do what ever the hell you want?

Slavic
15 Nov 2007, 06:03pm
I never really did anything special in my senior year. But thats just it, I didn't do anything lol. I was cool with all my teachers and hardly had to do any work or even come to class. Not to mention being able to roam the halls with no hassles.

God i hate highschool

VirDeBello
16 Nov 2007, 10:28am
lol This year, school is super strict, we got a new principal and she is really anal. So no more pranks this year.

Arc
16 Nov 2007, 10:34am
lol This year, school is super strict, we got a new principal and she is really anal. So no more pranks this year.

On my senior year, some guy put some crappie in the vents. He threw them way down into a vent shaft, so someone would have to climb in to get it. It smelled so horrible for about a month.

MrGall
16 Nov 2007, 11:11am
If your dad's business is money, and you'll get to inherit it, I'd do it.

Then again I'm a greedy bastard.

who aint, lol.

Jager
16 Nov 2007, 02:05pm
honestly, its will look weird to your potential employers, homeschooled students get a G.E.D. highschool grads get a diploma from the school that is vevrifiable. while the actual difference in learning is insignificant, there is stilla fairly high level of stigma attatched to a GED in some situations. its a big thing to consider.

LitKey
16 Nov 2007, 02:43pm
honestly, its will look weird to your potential employers, homeschooled students get a G.E.D. highschool grads get a diploma from the school that is vevrifiable. while the actual difference in learning is insignificant, there is stilla fairly high level of stigma attatched to a GED in some situations. its a big thing to consider.

I agree. Virdebello, you only got a few months left 'til you're finished completely with high school, so you oughtta just finish your year up for a high school diploma that looks a lot better than a G.E.D.

VirDeBello
17 Nov 2007, 05:39am
If I am not mistaken isn't it the same thing? Isn't a G.E.D. technically a diploma? And doesn't it differ from state to state?

Zero001
17 Nov 2007, 09:03am
If I am not mistaken isn't it the same thing? Isn't a G.E.D. technically a diploma? And doesn't it differ from state to state?
It's supposed to be treated the same, but employers see as if you took the lazy way out. A "High School Diploma" means you actually put in the time for 4 years (or however long it took you) and gained experience amongst others.

VirDeBello
17 Nov 2007, 09:34am
It's supposed to be treated the same, but employers see as if you took the lazy way out. A "High School Diploma" means you actually put in the time for 4 years (or however long it took you) and gained experience amongst others.

Oh okay thanks lol but by next employer for the next 4 to 6 years after high school will be the Army so I don't think they will mind much. lol

Jager
17 Nov 2007, 08:32pm
ask your recruiter. yopu would be surprised. some recruiters can give incentives for joining to high school students, and those who graduate with a diploma. also if you are going to use the army college plan stay with the HS diploma, if you take harder classes it can save you taking boring gen education courses in college that you dont need in real life.