PDA

View Full Version : Firearm trainning funding gone

trakaill
15 May 2009, 09:59pm
http://www.allamericanblogger.com/6853/obama-cancels-funding-for-airline-pilot-firearm-training/

I know this seems bias since this site in conservative but...I really think this was the wrong choice here..
He used that money the hire inspectors that will inspect aviation personnel...There are a lot on inspections already in place for these guys trust me!

If he was gonna take that money away at least put it somewhere where its needed!

They are the captain’s of the airplane, and after September 11th, they were allowed to carry a firearm on with them when they flew. That personally made me feel a little more comfortable about flying, but now, Barack Obama has squashed funding for the program that trained pilots to carry:

The Obama administration this past week diverted some $2 million from the pilot training program to hire more supervisory staff, who will engage in field inspections of pilots.

This looks like completely unnecessary harassment of the pilots. The 12,000 Federal Flight Deck Officers, the pilots who have been approved to carry guns, are reported to have the best behavior of any federal law enforcement agency. There are no cases where any of them has improperly brandished or used a gun. There are just a few cases where officers have improperly used their IDs.

Fewer than one percent of the officers have any administrative actions brought against them and, we are told, virtually all of those cases “are trumped up.”

There’s really no reason to halt this program. As the Washington Times noted, the few cases of officers improperly using their IDs have been blown way out of proportion.

Another way the Obama Administration has made America less safe.

Italian Jew
15 May 2009, 10:05pm
The article the blog links to doesn't exist or it is a wrong URL.

EDIT: Its an old article.

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/is_it_true_that_obama_is_dropping.html

Fact check clears it up.

The program is actually being expanded. The source for the original article was a group of 3 pilots who remained anonymous and either made the story up or misheard some info. The TSA and DHS cleared things up for the story and the article was removed once some reliable sources refuted the original claim.

I thought I saw something like this a while back and it explains the dead link. Did somebody send you an old blog post because it seems weird to post about something from 2 months ago.

trakaill
15 May 2009, 10:25pm
march is not that far off...im doing a paper on airport security as a whole..came across this..no mater what there are some serious problem with this program regardless as far the pilot responsibilities go.

You seem to be correct but this didnt come out of no where and a lot of people have been fighting this program so I would not be surprised to see it go under this administration. I hope Im wrong though

Drox
16 May 2009, 11:25am
Tbh I think this program should be expanded and keep getting funded, or whatever happen to having flight marshals on every flight which usually carry a weapon in case of a issue?

imkrazie
16 May 2009, 06:25pm
\ or whatever happen to having flight marshals on every flight which usually carry a weapon in case of a issue?

it's impossible to have a flight marshal on every flight so there was never a plan (to my knowledge) to have a marshal on every plane.

zero
18 May 2009, 12:04pm
it's impossible to have a flight marshal on every flight so there was never a plan (to my knowledge) to have a marshal on every plane.

From my understand, the percentage is actually quite small too.

trakaill
19 May 2009, 02:15pm
From my understand, the percentage is actually quite small too.

about 5 percent of american flights according to what I gathered for my research..everything is classified though
This is far more than what the program allowed prior to 9/11...founded in the 70's

Drox
19 May 2009, 04:45pm

Not impossible, just not funded or willing to pay that many people to do it. If you put alot of time in training and funding Flight Marshals for every flight with enough numbers, im sure they could do it. The reason being, why throw money at protecting American flights when we rather give it to big businesses who are failing so they can fail again in a year. lol

trakaill
19 May 2009, 11:48pm
Not impossible, just not funded or willing to pay that many people to do it. If you put alot of time in training and funding Flight Marshals for every flight with enough numbers, im sure they could do it. The reason being, why throw money at protecting American flights when we rather give it to big businesses who are failing so they can fail again in a year. lol

Dude it really is impossible....do you know how many flight depart the US ground everyday..at least several thousands!
http://science.howstuffworks.com/airport-security8.htm

roach coach
27 May 2009, 11:58pm
I thought we had air marshals on flights.

Italian Jew
28 May 2009, 12:01am
I thought we had air marshals on flights.

Not on all of them.

Elleon
28 May 2009, 03:20am
What is the point of training pilots to carry a handgun onboard? Unarmed hand to hand combat should be their only real concern. How difficult do you think it is to distinguish a criminal amidst the ruckus which can be created on a plane?

I once heard that gunsfights, pistols in particular, last roughly 3-5 seconds with 7 shots fired. During the majority of those fights it isn't uncommon for almost all, if not all bullets, miss their mark. Neither individual can exactly run and duck for cover without jepardizing an innocents life, know every situation that will occur and have a plan to to counter it, nor keep their cool in this frantic and new evironment. It is stupid to have weapons placed on board an aircraft, period.

Whether it is a false claim, report, or whatever, I think it would be a good idea to fund supervisors, cut the training program completely, and keep a watchful eye out.

PotshotPolka
28 May 2009, 07:58am
I still support simply doing a barrel roll and fucking up anybody that happened to be ignoring the seat-belt signs.

LegalSmash
28 May 2009, 09:39am
What is the point of training pilots to carry a handgun onboard? Unarmed hand to hand combat should be their only real concern. How difficult do you think it is to distinguish a criminal amidst the ruckus which can be created on a plane?

I once heard that gunsfights, pistols in particular, last roughly 3-5 seconds with 7 shots fired. During the majority of those fights it isn't uncommon for almost all, if not all bullets, miss their mark. Neither individual can exactly run and duck for cover without jepardizing an innocents life, know every situation that will occur and have a plan to to counter it, nor keep their cool in this frantic and new evironment. It is stupid to have weapons placed on board an aircraft, period.

Whether it is a false claim, report, or whatever, I think it would be a good idea to fund supervisors, cut the training program completely, and keep a watchful eye out.

look for the arab?

MtrxMn
5 Jun 2009, 07:07pm
The article worked fine for me. But anyways they should not get rid of this funding. All it does is improve the safety of everyone on the plane.