PDA

View Full Version : Killing Floor: The Preview

SpikedRocker
13 May 2009, 12:38pm
With the launch of Killing Floor tomorrow I have compiled a little preview for you guys. *DISCLAIMER* Some of this information was pulled from when this game was a mod of UT2004, and has changed or been updated. I will change any information that I find wrong.

http://i42.tinypic.com/9ld1df.jpg

If you want a quick look at this game, take a look at the offical trailer:

MZjg5Af49uI
For In-game footage of this game visit: http://www.steamgamers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=202052#post202052

The Plot:

On the last day of August, everything changed in the bustling city of London.

A group of several thousand protesters were reported assembling outside the offices of a wealthy Biotech corporation called Horzine. The riot police were called in because the general consensus was that these protesters were the violent sort and needed a lesson in civil obedience. All of this was based on eyewitness testimony that the office entrance had been smashed to pieces. It was agreed that this was a poor way to treat the property of a renowned government defense contractor and the boys suited up, put their visors down and moved in. With a few armed Special Branch lads hidden in amongst them, because they didn’t want to miss the fun.

On arriving, the officers found the entrance to be deserted. Still, a gaping hole stood where the doors had been and there was debris, twisted metal and all the evidence they really needed to start clapping hippies in cuffs. And as though he had read the officers’ collective thoughts, one of the protesters emerged from that man-made orifice and stumbled up to them. It took a few moments for the screaming to start as this protestor, a naked, emaciated specimen, had sunk elongated teeth into the neck of the closest cop and was vigorously tearing off bits of flesh. It only took a few more moments for the Special Branch types to haul out their 9-mils and the gunfire erupted.

With the smell of blood now thick in the air, the rest of the “protestors” emerged from that wound in the building. By the hundred. They howled and shambled and moved as though they had some terribly important purpose. There were little ones and large ones and those with chainsaws and cleavers instead of limbs and in the last moments of his life, the police sergeant mused that it was a bit like staring at a macabre circus troupe.

On the last day of August, London turned into a Killing Floor.

The Specimen

The Clot
http://i40.tinypic.com/97172g.jpg
The weakest enemy you will encounter in Killing Floor. They often appear in groups with one or two Bloats on their tail. Clots are the most common enemies, occurring in all the waves and usually in the largest number. While they may not seem dangerous, their numbers may overwhelm players who try to combat them. However, the main danger of Clots lies in their habit of distracting players from the more powerful and dangerous specimens.

Bloat
http://i39.tinypic.com/vxov7p.jpg
Bloats are the strongest of the early wave enemies that you will encounter, and have moved from v1's slow-moving colossus to horrific flesh-walls of corrosion. They have a great amount of strength and resistance, as one can most likely imagine by their size.

Gorefast
http://i40.tinypic.com/28sy813.jpg
Out of all the enemies this abomination is the most determined to ventilate you and your team-mates. The Gorefast is a mid-game enemy. He can cover a good amount of ground fairly quickly, inflict a good deal of pain and can prove to be difficult to destroy. Once a Gorefast gets up-close to his prey, his speed increases rapidly, hence the name Gorefast.

Crawler
http://i39.tinypic.com/2viqaad.jpg
Evasive and annoying. While the Crawler is physically weak and can't handle a lot of punishment, in the eyes of even a seasoned survivor they are envisioned as one of the worst of pests. Attacking in small packs with speed and agility, they are a good reason for you to be on your guard.

Siren
http://i43.tinypic.com/2mxnnm.jpg
The Siren is not a particularly mobile foe, as she doesn't need to be. In an enclosed space, her voice can resonate and deal tremendous amounts of damage to anyone nearby. She has been known to bite at her victims when they are close enough, but her true ability is an ear-splitting scream. Her voice is so powerful it can detonate incoming grenades or rockets in mid air. It is recommended to take out this enemy before others, due to the distortion from her shriek, which makes nearby humans dizzy and renders all weapons inaccurate.

Scrake
http://i43.tinypic.com/34rhvs7.jpg
The Scrake is not a particularly speedy foe. It lumbers along unsteadily toward its target, favoring its heavier arm - the site of a grafted chainsaw. In combat, the specimen is capable of delivering a series of extremely deadly blows from its chainsaw arm which tends to catch the victim's body and pull him in still closer. Such attacks have been known to impale people entirely and, as the unlucky prey struggle to pull free, make mincemeat of their innards. Scrake's skin is like a thick, leathery hide. Because of that, they are highly resistant to small firearms and feel almost no pain, proven by their laughing dying corpse.

Flesh Pound
http://i40.tinypic.com/2dbuhrp.jpg
The Fleshpound has a number of unique characteristics. First, it can take large amounts of damage — thanks to the constant supply of stimulants (including adrenaline) pumping through its blood, the plate metal that has been grafted into its body, and its sheer physical size. It is a fairly ponderous foe, until it has become "enraged." When this occurs, the monitor on the Fleshpound's chest will glow bright red instead of its usual amber and it will start to charge towards its prey. It can walk as fast as a running human, and when enraged, it can sprint outstandingly fast. The Fleshpound cannot be stunned. Therefore, avoid melee combat with it at all costs.

Patriarch
http://i40.tinypic.com/2vufpj5.jpg
The Patriarch is an enemy planned for the retail release. From what can be seen from the trailer viewable on the game's official site, it has the ability to pound at its enemies with a tentacle sort of thing, and it seems to be armed with a projectile weapon grafted into its arm. It appears in the final wave as the final boss.

The Weapons

Welder - The welder utility is used to seal doors shut, or to open previously sealed doors. The doors can hold a certain amount of damage before specimens can breach the door. Welded doors can also be open by throwing a frag grenade or by shooting a rocket with the L.A.W weapon.

Medical Syringe - The Medical Syringe on Killing Floor has the appearance to that of a jet injector and is used to administer a medicinal substance into the bloodstream to relieve pain and heal wounds of allied characters. It is also self administrable. However, doing so hinders the applicants ability to reload the device for a short period (since the character injects himself in the reloading arm, which is painful), making it less effective.

Knife - The basic melee weapon. This weapon is used mostly for running purposes, as wielding a melee weapon allows characters the mobility to run.

Lead Pipe - A balanced combination between speed and power, useful against masses of weak enemies like Clots, Stalkers and Crawlers.

Fire Axe - A slower but more powerful melee weapon, the Axe is good for masses of weak and medium enemies like Gorefasts and Bloats.

9mm - The standard 9 mm caliber handgun is fast and has a built-in flashlight, useful against all sorts of weak enemies, especially Crawlers and Clots, and can also be dual wielded for double the capacity, firepower and speed.

Bullpup - A fast shooting carbine with a scope that is very versatile against the majority enemies. It is most effective when used with the Commando Perk.

Flamethrower - A very fast torrent of flaming fuel is expelled out of this weapon. Be careful though, as it leaves flaming traces and if you walk forward you will burn, as well as burn allies (even if friendly fire is off). Lag is very dangerous with this weapon, because of its high kickback. One thing to consider is that the flame goes straight forward, even though with lag, it may appear to arc slightly. Useful on swarming clots.

Hand Cannon - A .50 caliber AE handgun, it is much more powerful than the 9 mm and is very effective against Gorefasts and Scrakes. Good along with the Support Perk.

Shotgun - The well known shotgun needs no introduction. Effective against Scrakes, Gorefasts and Sirens. Used best with the Support Perk.

Hunting Shotgun - The hunting shotgun is one of the most powerful weapons in Killing Floor, most effective at short ranges. Ideally used with the support perk. It should be noted that with the price of ammunition, though it is strong, the hunting shotgun uses twenty-five dollars per shot. Great early on.

Winchester - The famous American .44 caliber Winchester rifle. Effective at most ranges, it is wisely used by snipers with the Sharpshooter Perk, as it is very effective against most enemies by head shots.

Compound Crossbow - Also called the Xbow or simply Crossbow, this is a classic bolt launcher, which includes a 4X scope and auto reload after every shot. Bolts which have been shot are recoverable for reuse if they didn't hit a target previously. It is best used with the Sharpshooter perk, as this weapon causes massive head shot damage.

L.A.W. - The Light Anti-armour Weapon is the most expensive weapon, as it is the strongest weapon you can hold. Careful though, as it causes massive splash damage, so it is a good idea not to shoot too close in range to an enemy. The L.A.W can only be used with the Support Perk, as it is too heavy to be carried normally.

Frag Grenade - A must have, the classic frag grenade explodes with devastating force capable of eliminating large numbers of crowded specimens and easily breaking open welded doors.

The Perks

These are in-game advantages players can achieve and use per round.

Medic - The medic perk can be unlocked by healing teammates for 1500 damage in a match. It grants:

+100% Recharge rate with med-syringe.
+50% Potency of medical injections.
+5% Faster movement speed.
-50% Damage from bloats' bile

Support - The support perk can be unlocked by welding 2000 door hitpoints and killing 40 specimen with a Power weapon in a match. It grants:

+5 Max carry weight.
+25% Faster welding/unwelding with the welder tool.
Double frag grenade capacity.
+25% Max ammo capacity with the Handcannon, Shotgun, Hunting Shotgun and L.A.W.

Commando - The commando perk can be unlocked by killing 20 stalkers and dealing 10,000 damage with the Bullpup. It grants:

+25% Damage with the Bullpup weapon.
-20% Recoil and spread with the Bullpup weapon.
+10% Faster reloading with all weapons.
Enemy health conditions appear on the HUD.
Automatically reveal Stalkers in an AoE.

Berzerker - The Berserker perk can be unlocked by dealing 10,000 damage with melee weapons. It grants:

25% damage with all melee weapons.
+10% refire speed with all melee weapons.
+15% movement speed adjustment when using a melee weapon.
+15% Damage resistance to all sorts of damage.

The Maps

The startin list of maps upon release is small but an SDK will be released on Thursday. So expect custom maps out within a week.

BioticsLab
Farm
Manor
Offices
WestLondon

The Overview

The general overview of this game is purely zombie survival. Alot of people compare this game to L4D, this is where the comparison stops. They both are zombie survival games. You really cannot say this game is copying L4D because this game was orginally a Unreal Tournament 2004 mod that was orginally released over 3 years ago. So if anything L4D copied the concept from Killing Floor.

The best way to describe this game is mixing napalm with zombie horde/hell. You want to barricade yourself the best way possible by defeating onslaught wave after wave after wave. With the level of various specimen, tactics and knowing how to deal with them will become the core value of this game.

The game itself is a six-person co-op to defeat the waves of specimen. Utilizing the Perks system players can convert in-game achievements to permanent improvements to their own character. Speaking of these achievements there are over 40 Steam Achievements planned with more inevidably to be added later. Some examples of some achivements are, "Dignity for the dead" where you kill 10 enemies feeding on dead teammates or "Hot Cross Fun" for finishing off 25 burning enemies with the crossbow.

One neat feature of this game is the "ZED time". Slow motion, bullet time for the intense deaths of the specimen. This will be used in Solo mode and multiplayer.

Closing

In conclusion, I hope this preview helped a little bit in deciding if you want to purchase this game or not. I am awaiting the release of actual in-game footage from the porters of Killing Floor and will add it to this thread when I recieve it.

If you are interested in learning more about this game visit: http://www.killingfloorthegame.com
If you are interested in purchasing this game, go to http://store.steampowered.com/app/1250/

Thank you for spending the time on reading this very long preview of the game.

Crimson
13 May 2009, 12:55pm
Well Geez, now I wanna play it even more.

Daze
13 May 2009, 01:06pm
This is going to be epic.

Frostbyte
13 May 2009, 01:27pm
What are the system requirements?

SpikedRocker
13 May 2009, 01:29pm
System Requirements
Minimum:

Processor: 1.2 GHZ or Equivalent
Memory: 512 MB RAM
Graphics: 64 MB DX9 Compliant
Hard Drive: 2 GB free hard drive space
Sound: DX 8.1 Compatible Audio
Recommended:

Processor: 2.4 GHZ or Equivalent
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: 128 MB DX9 Compliant with PS 2.0 support
Hard Drive: 2 GB free hard drive space
Sound: Eax Compatible

Psyche
13 May 2009, 01:34pm
I will prolly try for the bezerker or the Support perks, this is going to be awesome.

PotshotPolka
13 May 2009, 01:40pm
Commando ftw.

Red
13 May 2009, 01:45pm
WELD FASTER!!!!

Support looks fun.

PotshotPolka
13 May 2009, 01:47pm
We should try and get Legal in on this if he's willing to go without food for a day or two.

Red
13 May 2009, 01:49pm
lol good luck.

Frostbyte
13 May 2009, 01:50pm
Im interested in Medic.

Also, Spiked, I have NO CLUE what my specs are, but all I know is that I can run COH at a decent FR.

SpikedRocker
13 May 2009, 01:59pm
Im interested in Medic.

Also, Spiked, I have NO CLUE what my specs are, but all I know is that I can run COH at a decent FR.

I think if you can run Red Orchestra you should be good. Look at this thread from their forum to find out if you can run this game: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=30562

Bad Dog
13 May 2009, 02:37pm
Totally getting it, just hope that I can get a l33t group of zombie killers like meself :D

Runski
13 May 2009, 03:09pm
Already Pre-Purchased this. There are 6 Perks though, but I'll be bezerker. Can't wait till tomorrow, but I wont be on till 4:30pm due to school XP.

andre1028
13 May 2009, 03:20pm
The recorded sounds are horrible. I hope we can have custom sounds. The dialogue is a bit corny too.

SpikedRocker
13 May 2009, 03:20pm
There are 6 Perks though, but I'll be bezerker.

I didn't have all the information on it all this is what I can find.

James
13 May 2009, 04:38pm
I pre ordered it.

WHAT!!!??! they removed the chainsaw as a weapon??? THAT SUCKS!

SpikedRocker
13 May 2009, 04:47pm
I pre ordered it.

WHAT!!!??! they removed the chainsaw as a weapon??? THAT SUCKS!

I think its still a weapon, I dunno anything about it though.

James
13 May 2009, 05:58pm
I think its still a weapon, I dunno anything about it though.

well apparently along with the other melee weapons like the axe, knife, and pipe, there was to be a chainsaw, but apparently they removed it :(

Daze
14 May 2009, 03:14am
The recorded sounds are horrible. I hope we can have custom sounds. The dialogue is a bit corny too.

I find the English accents kind of corny, surely we Brits don't sound like that? :twitch:

Astrum
14 May 2009, 04:07am
well apparently along with the other melee weapons like the axe, knife, and pipe, there was to be a chainsaw, but apparently they removed it :(

It was in the trailer though!

If it's anything like RO then they'll update it fairly regularly. Since the mod team is working with TWI now I hope this is the case. In either case, will probably have more weapons than L4D =P.

Hiphopopotomus
14 May 2009, 05:29am
6 more hours till we can play! Be sure to pre-load it so everyone gets on at the same time!

Psyche
14 May 2009, 07:44am
The repetitive dialouge is going to make me lol. Money, money, money!

SpikedRocker
14 May 2009, 07:45am

I found out there is a chainsaw, James. In the video's they released yesterday it is in the buy menu.

James
14 May 2009, 08:02am
I found out there is a chainsaw, James. In the video's they released yesterday it is in the buy menu.

Awesome! Thats the last time I read from wikipedia to see what the game weapons are :P

SpikedRocker
14 May 2009, 11:46am
Awesome! Thats the last time I read from wikipedia to see what the game weapons are :P

Eh...it still was a bit accurate...alot of the information was kept secret till the video came out.

Henrik
14 May 2009, 12:14pm
I can't wait

Tcp-Kill
14 May 2009, 12:19pm
I agree, commando looks dirty sick head.

Can't wait for the game, 1 whole hour :)

Itch
14 May 2009, 12:20pm
Ok.. so I caved in and bought it..

Don't know when I'll get time to play though. :sad2:

Red
14 May 2009, 12:31pm
I WANNA GO HOME NOWWWW

Suri
14 May 2009, 12:47pm
I WANNA GO HOME NOWWWW

Don't worry it's still not out yet. About an hour late right now. You may get home and it's still not out yet.

Red
14 May 2009, 12:49pm
not cool

Hiphopopotomus
14 May 2009, 01:39pm
Dude i see a face on the stomach of that Gorefast, it kinda looks like that one guy from The Goonies, i cant remember his name.

Itch
14 May 2009, 01:42pm
Sloth LOVE Chunk!

Hiphopopotomus
14 May 2009, 01:47pm
No, no not Sloth, the guy um man he was in pump up the volume, and The lost boys

opium101
14 May 2009, 01:49pm
can u buy this game over steam only?

Itch
14 May 2009, 01:53pm
Corey Feldman?

Hiphopopotomus
14 May 2009, 02:07pm
YES, that is the name Corey Feldman.