PDA

View Full Version : Source SDK- Error starting up

Reunion
11 Nov 2007, 08:26pm
I wanted to start learning how to map, but my SDK is having problems. when I try to start it up, it gives me the little window saying "Preparing to launch Source SDK..." then it pauses for a bit, then it just goes away and nothing launches. there's no error message or anything, just disappears. Ive tried reinstalling & updating, I even reinstalled Steam. does anyone have any idea whats the problem?

£cho
11 Nov 2007, 08:36pm
Try adding the following to your SourceSDK command line via right-clicking it in Steam, selecting Properties, then "Set Launch Options..." and in the text box that appears:

-engine ep1

Then launch it up and, if you get in, refresh SDK content, let that finish, and you should be on your way. If this doesn't help, I have no idea what the issue is.

Reunion
11 Nov 2007, 08:49pm
omg thank you soooo much! worked perfectly. thanks!

£cho
11 Nov 2007, 09:33pm
Not a problem. :cool:

If you're wondering why you got that error, it's because the new SourceSDK has been built around the "new" HL2: Episode 2 engine, which is a bit different than the one we're all use to, the HL2: Episode 1 engine, which is the exact same think as the original HL2 engine with some minor updates and fixes.

Since you didn't have any HL2: Episode 2 engine-based games installed, like Portal, Team Fortress 2, or any other Orange Box release, your SourceSDK flipped out trying to create new local registries of these files, as it was calling for files that simply don't exist. We prevented this from happening by telling SourceSDK we're still using the old engine and don't have any HL2: Episode 2 engine-based or Orange Box-based games.

You'll most likely have issues now, like everyone else, with common functions like no icons when rotating brushes, no access to the VGUI Model Viewer, and more fun things Valve no longer really cares about. Valve claims at this time they aren't able to fix these issues at least until the end of the month, so here's a link to a couple of things you can do in the meantime just to get around. This is also useful for anyone else having the same issue, I suppose.

LINK TO ALL OF THIS INFORMATION + TEMPORARY FIXES:
http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/4596

It was created by several users in our studio, so you know it's all valid. If you have any further issues, or rather, if anyone has issues regarding this matter, I should be able to answer most of them. In any case I can't, I recommend you post on the Steam forums, as there's already several threads complaining about this issue. It is a big deal, but hopefully it'll all be over soon. Just make sure you back up all your data, just in case something goes terribly, terribly wrong these next couple of weeks.

Good lord I typed a lot. Anyhow, godspeed! :)

bloodhound
17 Nov 2007, 10:27am
Thank you so much man! I couldnt figure it out =\