PDA

View Full Version : Universe at War Weekend Deal

Astrum
9 May 2009, 03:29pm
Alright, Universe at War is on sale this weekend for $5. It's not a perfect RTS, but Petroglyph Studios (comprised of many members from what used to be Westwood) did a really, really good job making three extremely distinct races. It's definitely not an RTS with mirrored armies, each having different skins and slightly different stats.
B2WI2tGfmlM&feature=fvsr&fmt=18

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2WI2tGfmlM&feature=fvsr&fmt=18) to video since it's not showing up at the moment.

So, for $5 it's definitely worth it, even if you end up not liking it ;).

Cranks
9 May 2009, 03:54pm
Got my copy.

Tcp-Kill
9 May 2009, 03:56pm
That game looks awesome, ehhh i ONLY HAVE 28P ON MY CARD NOOOOOO

Cranks
9 May 2009, 04:01pm
That game looks awesome, ehhh i ONLY HAVE 28P ON MY CARD NOOOOOO

That's what you get for being so fet!

Modgers1
9 May 2009, 10:07pm
I've got my copy. Hope to play with you guys soon!

-Modgers

Red
9 May 2009, 10:27pm
Novus = Aeon

LegalSmash
9 May 2009, 11:24pm
Novus = Aeon

This.
Too bad my computer is in the shop, or I'd get it.

PotshotPolka
10 May 2009, 08:30am
I don't see why you'd want this, it's like playing SupCom at 10X speed, without the coolness of SupCom.

Astrum
10 May 2009, 08:51am
I don't see why you'd want this, it's like playing SupCom at 10X speed, without the coolness of SupCom.

Let me get this straight. You don't want to get Universe at War because Supreme Commander is cooler, yet you got Command and Conquer Red Alert 3, the least innovative RTS I've ever seen.

No contradiction there.

Dracula
10 May 2009, 08:52am
Downloaded a while ago bored me to death deleted 2 days after.

PotshotPolka
10 May 2009, 11:01am
Let me get this straight. You don't want to get Universe at War because Supreme Commander is cooler, yet you got Command and Conquer Red Alert 3, the least innovative RTS I've ever seen.

No contradiction there.

I love how defensive you get about games :bigsmile:

I enjoy RA3, its simple and to the point in most cases, and is not comparable to the massive amount of attention necessary to get a game of SupCom rolling without being nuked (or having a goddamn monkeybot LOLROLL into your base and kill an experimental generator)

I tried UaW and it felt too rehashed and lacked any real frills in my opinion, but if its cheap, like RA3 was when I bought it without its SecurAids then by all means its your decision.

Astrum
10 May 2009, 11:24am
I wasn't being defensive, I just don't understand the logic that goes into any of your decisions. Like this:

I tried UaW and it felt too rehashed and lacked any real frills in my opinion...
I enjoy RA3, its simple and to the point in most cases...That was the exact point of my previous post. The reason you use for not liking UaW is the same reason you use for liking C&C:RA3. I don't care if you don't like it, but you're not making any damn sense.

I've already played with Falcon and we both thought the game was quite fun*. I'd prefer a few more people to play with however. So if you're going to offer a negative opinion on the game, at least give a decent one.

*The game did crash for me during our first game. I'm pretty sure instability is a feature of RTS games now though.

PotshotPolka
10 May 2009, 12:13pm
Fine, since you have this fucking thing for burning down off the cuff remarks in the game review section but don't mind them at all in the N&P section, I'll present my argument in the Claim-Data-Warrant procedure that seems to be necessary for you when our opinions don't coincide.

Pros: Its $5

Cons: Campaign mode feels like its from 2003. Graphics are better than that time period however, sounds, music, and even player actions are pathetic, likeable to SupCom, but without of course the 40km maps and epic game size.

HUD and command bars are not very user friendly, the minimap is alright.

I remember you enjoying the gameplay, I personally found it very cumbersome. The AI is lobotomized when compared to even say RA3 AI players, let alone CoH or SupCom.

Gameplay in my opinion like I said, was rehashed. Basic unit types, the skills of each are likeable to DoW in many ways, with individual powerups, units, and deploy methods. The Hierarchy in many ways remind me of Necron units, Novus like Eldar, and the Masari are basically Space Marines.

I personally felt it suffered from micromanagement issues, and basically was highlight, point, click, and the mob runs in.

So does it mean all the other games out there are much better? No, I suppose not, but many of them already come from an existing franchise, have a cliche, and all have some trademark that makes them stand out. This game to me feels like a cardboard cut out.

So sorry, if I didn't elaborate enough, but I would rather spend this $5 on a Subway sandwich, like in the case of Red Orchestra, because that Chicken Bacon Ranch hit the spot.

ninjaz1337
10 May 2009, 10:34pm
I bought it, it's not that great.