PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Six Vegas/Zeno Clash Review

ninjaz1337
8 May 2009, 06:42pm
I currently have around 102 PC games (76 on steam), and would like to contribute some thoughts about some of the games I play, starting a few reviews each thread.

Rainbow Six Vegas
Gameplay: Rainbow Six Vegas requires some strategy of some sort, some tactical team movements. Rushing ahead will just get you killed regardless enemy weapon. There is a cover system that allows you take take cover behind most objects (also blind fire). Firefights could be intense, which results massive use of cover system. Pretty fun since there's 4 player coop in terrorist hunt (eliminate all terrorists in a certain map) and storyline. If you play solo, you are allowed to control your 2 teammates, telling them what to do and they're pretty smart, let's say you tell them to go to this spot, they move to the spot after scanning for enemies and take cover. Who doesn't like blowing up slot machines and tables with friends?
Graphics: Using UT3 engine, Rainbow six vegas looks nice, the only problem is, IT'S NOT SUCH A GOOD PORT. For a UT3 engine game, the system requirements are high and will need a pretty demanding machine (at that time, PS3.0 was required, and decent home PCs didn't have PS2.0) to run well. Great graphics for its time, but really demanding
AI: Smart, the AI for rainbow six vegas are smart cookies. They take cover, flank, throw flashbangs and smokes, they communicate and don't like to stand around for you to pick them off. Same goes for teammates, they listen to your commands and they take it off from there, you don't have to tell them to take cover while moving to a certain spot, they'll do it.
Story: Typical TO BE CONTINUED type, you play as Gabe Logan attempting to take down the terrorist mastermind attempting to destroy Vegas. No spoilers given, but not a great storyline.
Multiplayer: Fun, but where's the dedicated server (Ubisoft did not make an official one, all they did was take a community made one and release it with no extras to it, making it horrible)? There are currently around 20-50 servers going on around R6V, half of them being empty, the ones that are full are usually TDM, DM, sniper and coop.
PROBLEMS: Ubisoft loathes customer support. They have a bad habit of ignoring PC customers and R6V does NOT run well on vista (blocked by UAC, disabling UAC will make it work, but UAC is like the only protector of vista).

Current Price: $10 My Rating 9.0

Zeno Clash
Gameplay: Fun, interesting first person button-like masher, with stone-age guns. Different modes like "tower" where you basically for each tower (different levels) story, you fight a wave of monsters. Then continue up the ladder til you reach the top. Problem is, zeno clash's one of the games where you think "Ok, I beat this game, time to move on". Although there are achievements through steamworks, it's not something you really want to play again just to unlock them
Graphics: Great for sourcev2. There are some levels where you just tend look to stop and look at the interesting graphics. The skybox looks nice and there's a unique look to the textures (look at the images yourself).
AI: Not that smart, but boy do they LOVE to gangbang. The whole story you will be fighting by yourself, your teammate (girl companion) is supposed to cover you with a rifle, but she's SLOW at shooting and has HORRIBLE aim. The AI sometimes do stand there for you to kick their asses, but when they come in groups...bend over.
Story: Deep, confusing, what? There doesn't seem to be a set for zeno clash 2, ending is interesting and there's a twist to the original storyline
Multiplayer: None
PROBLEMS: The controls could be a little weird, but ACE team has made so many patches and listens to their community, therefore 90% of problems will be fixed, the 10% isn't discovered yet :)

Current Price: $20 My Rating 8.5

More to come :)