PDA

View Full Version : X360: Godfather II

FightingRooster
4 May 2009, 08:37am
The Godfather II is a 3rd person free roam/shooter that sells for somewhere around $50 CAD. Your name is Dominic, and you start off as a Don of your own personal family. This surprised most, because all previous Godfather games were based on your hard work and moving up the ranks. Being a huge fan of the Godfather, this left me somewhat skeptical as to what fun this game was going to be, but I bought it anyway.

My first impressions were OK - very good feel, graphics were good (nothing PS3/GTA worthy tho) and comparing this to Saints Row 2, it was holding its own very nicely. The most noticeable thing at the beginning is Don's view. Hit start and you can see what you own, what you don't, see whats being attacked and send your family against another. It seems sort of like an auto-pilot to the game, but its a very nice addition. Makes certain things easier, compared to the previous versions of this game.

After returning from Cuba in the first mission, you're pretty much on your own. The first thing that you do is take over companies/rings from other families. Once you own all of one ring (for example, Prostitution. Own all 3 rackets) you will get a perk. These perks work with your whole family, and they can be as helpful as bulletproof vests to useless things as armoured cars that are hard to find. Once you've made a fairly large dent in the other families, you're ready (and earning enough) to carry on with the missions.

Since you're the Don from the get-go, you need to hire family members (weird I know.. hire family??). You've got the choice between an Engineer (cuts fences, cuts power so people can't call for backup, etc), an Arsonist (not really helpful, self explanitory), Bruiser (breaks down doors unbreakable normally and an amazing fighter), Bomber (self explanitory) and most likely one more I forgot. You choose whatever you want - eventually there will be more people to hire. Further into the game, you can promote your family to Capo and Underboss, aswell as pay a hefty price to upgrade their skills.

The other families are fairly easy to beat - take over all their rackets and kill a few made men. This is done by doing favors for people on the street (find them literally on every street) which will lead to a strong hint as to where someone high up in a family is. This tip could be "He likes to hang out in (insert restaurant name here)". Once you eliminate a couple made men, and take over the rackets, you've pretty much defeated the family.

Cliff Notes:

The good:
-Don's view
-Start as don
-Fairly easy money
-Nice free roam aspect
-Driving feels nice

The bad:
-Very easy to beat. I've played for 7 hours and I'm practically done. If you're a fast gamer, don't even bother. You'll be done in under 10 hrs.
-No difficulty choice, default on Easy and unchangeable.
-Need to drive everywhere, no taxi or anything.

Conclusion:

Very good game thats practically impossible to put down. Everything just works as its supposed to, yet not having the ability to choose a difficulty really annoys most gamers. It comes down to a couple things, but mostly is $50 worth 10 hours of kickass fun?

Shower Fart
4 May 2009, 03:49pm
pretty good game but i don't get the mission where ur in Florida and they tell you to take over at least one of the business from each of the familes(forgot the familys name) then after i took over the business nothing happens and the one u forgot to mention is the medic nice review

Bad Dog
4 May 2009, 06:49pm
ever since GTA4 ppl are pissy about actually driving instead of zerg taxi..GET OVER IT :P it can be fuN!!!

Harbor
4 May 2009, 10:25pm
^^ agree

Italian Jew
4 May 2009, 10:50pm
I heard the graphics weren't that great, the gameplay was too repetitive and boring, and your allies were dumb as shit.

FightingRooster
5 May 2009, 04:14pm
pretty good game but i don't get the mission where ur in Florida and they tell you to take over at least one of the business from each of the familes(forgot the familys name) then after i took over the business nothing happens and the one u forgot to mention is the medic nice review

From what I remember, you need to take over two rings from another family. This can be the prostitution ring, etc.

Yeah, I forgot about medic :P I don't really find him that helpful, but I don't get injured very easily. I just let my family do my dirty work :)

ever since GTA4 ppl are pissy about actually driving instead of zerg taxi..GET OVER IT :P it can be fuN!!!

Driving was awesome on Saints Row 2 but with the Godfathers cars not really resembling anything (other than one similar to the Ferrari Daytona), I don't find it too interesting.

I heard the graphics weren't that great

Agreed.

the gameplay was too repetitive and boring,

The missions can get repetitive, I agree. It seems like every time you're in the same mess and get out the same way, yet certain missions are different and very interesting. It's a decent balance between the two, and because I'm a huge Godfather fan I'm probably biased :cool:

and your allies were dumb as shit.

Allies as in your family? I disagree. If you press X, your family will come and follow you. They will also kill people for you. This, to me, was a big plus.

If anyone has any more questions, feel free to ask =]

Crimson
5 May 2009, 10:22pm
I had this game pre-ordered for about 7 months. It wasn't a total let down.

Being huge fan of Godfather I, I couldn't wait to get my hands on this. But the gameplay got very old after awhile.

The driving didn't feel very right, it felt like they put it in last moment.

The AI also weren't very smart. Some path finding issues. But, I easily overlooked it.

The Combat was very fun, I enjoyed splatting people all over the streets, or straggling somebody to death in a back alley.

One thing which turned me off was the Muitplayer. For some reason, I couldn't connect for few weeks, when I finally was able to connect the maps were way to big for amount of players. The Game types were fun at first. But after awhile of the same shit, I raged and quit.

I beat the game within seven hours, which wasn't too bad.

But, I should have rented it.

I gave it 7/10.

(Don't mind typos, 12:22, and I quickly typed this!)

ReGIONALS
6 May 2009, 08:08am
you mimssed 2 of the people u can hire

im gonna name them all off

Engineer
Bomber
Safecracker
Arsonist
Bruiser
Medic

the game is fun and graphics are fine gameplay is boring for a while until you get into cuba and miami.

FightingRooster
7 May 2009, 02:50pm
you mimssed 2 of the people u can hire

im gonna name them all off

Engineer
Bomber
Safecracker
Arsonist
Bruiser
Medic

the game is fun and graphics are fine gameplay is boring for a while until you get into cuba and miami.

Thanks and yeah I agree. I find Florida is the best and I'm not a big fan of Cuba.

I had this game pre-ordered for about 7 months. It wasn't a total let down.

Being huge fan of Godfather I, I couldn't wait to get my hands on this. But the gameplay got very old after awhile.

The driving didn't feel very right, it felt like they put it in last moment.

The AI also weren't very smart. Some path finding issues. But, I easily overlooked it.

The Combat was very fun, I enjoyed splatting people all over the streets, or straggling somebody to death in a back alley.

One thing which turned me off was the Muitplayer. For some reason, I couldn't connect for few weeks, when I finally was able to connect the maps were way to big for amount of players. The Game types were fun at first. But after awhile of the same shit, I raged and quit.

I beat the game within seven hours, which wasn't too bad.

But, I should have rented it.

I gave it 7/10.

(Don't mind typos, 12:22, and I quickly typed this!)

Havent tried the multiplayer but the driving I actually like. The powerslides were OK yet definitely better than the first GF.