PDA

View Full Version : Would a Climb map be a good project for a beginner?

clickflick22
2 May 2009, 01:27pm
Just started using hammer, I know how to use prefabs, make a room, use light sources, and make brush shapes.

Figured I make a dev textured climb map.

Edit: I've started, the idea will be a level system, the first level will be a stationary climb, second will be moving, third will be disappearing.
I'll upload some screens soon.

Bethy
2 May 2009, 05:32pm
Sounds like fun to me.
Sounds hard to do though, especially for a beginner.

ReneGade
2 May 2009, 10:35pm
well climb maps are based on calculating distances, so if u can do that part they arent that tough.

Desum
2 May 2009, 10:39pm
Probably only a step above making a cs/de map.. Like Renegade said, if you know how to calculate distances properly then it's a breeze.. Climb maps usually don't have many triggers(Besides teleports), so..

Toxin
3 May 2009, 05:40am
I would personally not recommend one. Try something with more triggers and explore it. Within one time of installing Hammer, I learned most of the entities and triggers either myself or from fpsbanana.

Red
3 May 2009, 10:52pm
I wouldn't do it. The maps require exact measurements and require a lot of attention to detail.

But I guess you could make a somewhat simple one. But yeah, i would make a regular map first.

XeNo
3 May 2009, 11:15pm
aim_maps are always easiest for beginners to just mess with stuff.

Mainly because they're small, and you just have to make one side and then mirror it.

SpikedRocker
6 May 2009, 06:44pm
Typical Map Difficulty...Easiest to Hardest

Aim/GG
CS/DE
Slide
Climb
Prison Break
Surf
Napalm/Zombie Mod
Zombie Escape
Minigames
Deathrun

This of course is my opinion and can vary depending amount of detail and care you put into a map...you can make a map quickly but most likely it will suck.

Trogdor
6 May 2009, 08:39pm

Aim/GG
CS/DE
Slide
Climb
Prison Break
Surf
Napalm/Zombie Mod
Zombie Escape
Minigames
Deathrun

This of course is my opinion and can vary depending amount of detail and care you put into a map...you can make a map quickly but most likely it will suck.

Really? I think a decent skill surf (or combat surf really) map would basically be the hardest. Making the ramps smooth with no glitches looks difficult.

Svendy
7 May 2009, 12:47am
the hardest maps are bot freindly, well designed and detailed CS and DE

SpikedRocker
7 May 2009, 07:39am
Really? I think a decent skill surf (or combat surf really) map would basically be the hardest. Making the ramps smooth with no glitches looks difficult.

When you look at it from a mappers perspective the biggest thing is knowing how to create that surf edge. Most of the map is just simple brushes. When you compare that to some of the best deathrun maps that have triggers and stuff flying all around that has alot of complex mapping entities surf is a bit easier. But then again, like I said it can vary depending on how much you put into the map.

ReneGade
8 May 2009, 06:52am

Aim/GG
CS/DE
Slide
Climb
Prison Break
Surf
Napalm/Zombie Mod
Zombie Escape
Minigames
Deathrun

minigames dont have to be difficult at all, the difficulty in them is usually finding a fun concept and truthfully ZE is hardest, you must have triggers and multiple paths that are all relatively similar in time needed whereas deathrun its purely triggers which arent that tough to learn

Trogdor
9 May 2009, 09:38am
True. Dont know how you'd make all those triggers and such in a DR. Surf doesn't really need any of that. ZE I dont think would be harder than DR but, like Spiked said, it depends.