PDA

View Full Version : Arlen Specter leaves GOP for DNC

LegalSmash
28 Apr 2009, 10:13pm
While I am not completely surprised, I cannot help but say "it figures", more moderates are being forced out, or leaving the party, because of the associations the party has after 2004-2008 with the evangelical christian sect of the party. While I in no way intend to offend that group, I do have to say that I fundamentally disagree with several of the issues that they tend to advance regarding education and seperation of church and state. I am not someone to force secularism, I'm a bad catholic, and have my beliefs, but I do sincerely believe that those beliefs, in the benefit of the greater society of the United States, should be checked at the door of elected office if they will hinder the politicians performance.

I think that a LOT of GOP hopefuls that would otherwise be viable candidates are hurt by the GOP's turn from "conservatism" to 'christ conservatism", and its upsetting. The party should realize that there are a LOT more conservatives out there when it comes to financial matters, and capitalize on that.

I am not mad at this man, he is a politician, and I'd be foolish to expect more from him than I would from any 5 term senator looking to keep an easy job. For those that will scream "he shoulda gone libertarian", realize that while Ideologically it would be correct, the L party has absolutely no chance of getting elected into more than a very small minority of offices, which destroys that option for a man wishing to seek reelection.

Despite the above, I do not feel comfortable with a filibuster proof Congress.

Thats my point of view, but I want yours as well, what do you thinkg of Specter's decision? How do you think this will effect the geography in congress?