PDA

View Full Version : [Abandoned] ba_sg_dev_jail (Or something like that)

XeNo
28 Apr 2009, 07:17pm
Well due to my knowledge of sdk hammer increasing, I decided what I'll do next is design a slightly unique jail.

It will be made out of dev textures like my ZM map cause I like them, so if you don't, don't give me shit about it.

I plan on implementing a race room, which will be quite large but not amazingly complex, mainly jumps, maybe a 3 jump bunny hop section (So even those bad at bhop can still make it pretty easy), willing to take ideas on a few (one or two) more sections for the race.

Race will be activated by a button on guard side, and there will be no penalty to the loser (Although I may try to implement a way to make two buttons agree and cause the race end to change). Also I will make it so only two people can go at a time.

I'll be putting in a wind tunnel room to have fun in, as well as other fun rooms.

Once again I'll be addressing some major problems I have seen with other jail maps, one being all the places get boring after awhile, and second I don't really plan on putting weapons around the map. I'll maybe throw in a random pistol drop in cells, but really I want guards to be willing to let the prisoners have fun in the rooms without being like 'NO DAT HAS MAC10, BOX CAGE ONLY ALL OTHERS HAVE GUNS'. There will be some secrets throughout the map, not sure what yet.

Another being Guards not having anywhere to watch prisoners from without being exposed to back attacks, I plan to have anywhere from glass walls to ladder-to-walkway areas for guards to climb up and watch prisoners from above.

As for the rest I'm not sure, I'm working on general layout right now and this will be a project I work off to the side when I run out of ideas for my ZM map. (Such as right now)

XeNo
23 Jul 2009, 01:56am
Bamp.

I'm actually putting this into motion, I stopped my ZM map for now due to the server having inactivity whenever I see it.

As of now I'll attempt to describe my idea for this map as I have no pictures yet:

The jail will not be a typical jail, it will be more like a future-istic jail, the 'jail' in the map is going to be a centralized room. It will hold all the prisoners, and there will be a pistol spawned in the room, I think because all the prisoners will be in the same jail, this will stop CT's from never opening the jail until they can check the 'cell' that has the pistol. (Or pistols, I may have two to encourage revolting)

A few issues of PB I'll be trying my best to avoid:

-Spots where CT's can excessively camp such as long hallways/sewers/ect. ect. though, this will be difficult if I'm to allow T's areas to sneak around in.

-Armory camping. To avoid this, I'm going to have every room a 're-stock' spot which can be for CT's but most likely just for T's to be able to run around the map to get a gun, and CT's to spend their time watching T's instead of camping armory.

-Fun spots to be held captive at. While telling everyone to big cage can be effective in watching T's, it's not very fun of them. So if possible, I'm going to have racing spots, wind tunnels, mazes, ect for T's to play on.

-CT's having an easier time watching T's, but not TOO easy. My only way of fixing this is having catwalks/spots T's can't just run around behind a CT to kill them, but that could make it too easy for CT's, so I'm going to have teleporters. Now to elaborate on this:

The main difference of my map and most PB maps is my use of teleporters, typically a map will have maybe two teleporters to take you to armory or something, my map will have a teleporter to many spots. This will be to reduce lag (separate rooms by physically taking them off the map) as well as make it interesting. To get to a guard's watch tower, there will be a teleporter up to it, not a ladder. I'll try and make the teleporters to such areas somewhat hidden from sight of the actual tower/catwalk so CT's cannot see you go into them.

This map will probably have many versions to get it balanced, but it should be quite fun in the end. I intend to still use dev textures. (Cause they're quite easy to use, and CT's/T's can't hide amongst the walls or whatever)

Oh, since I don't feel like backspacing or finding a spot to put this:
CT's will have to decide on which part of the map to go to at the beginning of every round. The central 'jail' will have four openings leading to four different parts of the map which have different areas on them. I may revise and decide not to do this, but for now it's what I have planned. And once one side of the central jail is opened, CT's cannot open a second side, and CT's cannot go to other parts of the map, they will be restricted to that area, as will T's. Once a button is pressed, it will tell that side of the jail to open, and then lock all other buttons, and disable all other teleporters.

XeNo
23 Jul 2009, 11:29pm
I'm going to spam my own map thread with updates as often as I feel I've accomplished things. This also helps bump it so maybe someone can give me ideas.

So far I have one side of the jail done and made into a door, lighting except for some tweaking is done in the main first room, I made a door, I put this (http://www.fpsbanana.com/prefabs/2602) into the map just to make it seem interesting.

Next is some guard towers, other stuff to fill gaps in the room make it seem more full and visually colorful, finish the jail's doors, and put in the teleport rooms to various areas that I have yet to create.

First version of this map will have only a few rooms/places to go. I may not even put in the whole map yet, I will have to see how many ideas for rooms/areas I can think of.

Ideas/drawings/ect. are always welcome, but do not expect me to put everything you suggest into the map. It IS mine, after all.

Stevee
24 Jul 2009, 03:16am
Hmm, Ideas For rooms.
Maybe an LR room which you find in most maps?
It is kinda lame , but it'd be cool.
Like a place for Gun toss , s4s , knife pit etc .

XeNo
24 Jul 2009, 04:54am
Hmm, Ideas For rooms.
Maybe an LR room which you find in most maps?
It is kinda lame , but it'd be cool.
Like a place for Gun toss , s4s , knife pit etc .
I can do that.

I also have a deathgames room, which I plan to put in. The winners will be given hp/speed/ect.

Stevee
24 Jul 2009, 04:56am
Hmm , how will you do that? How will they get speed etc?

XeNo
24 Jul 2009, 05:11am
Many many triggers. They'll recognize who wins a race for example, the Simon Says room will have each player stand on a platform, and a CT can choose which platform to explode/kill, the last platform remaining will be given whatever prize it is.

Stevee
24 Jul 2009, 05:18am
Hmm, Ok that'll be cool
I wanna get into mapping but some ppl tell me its boring :/.
Also, I wouldnt mind being one of the testers :D

XeNo
24 Jul 2009, 05:47am
I'm going to release beta versions of the map first, typcially they will only have some rooms, or only one/two areas completed to test parts of it out until I finally release the whole version of the map, which will be quite large.

Stevee
24 Jul 2009, 06:53am
When Will you play them? Do you think SG will put them on their PB server?

Stevee
24 Jul 2009, 04:05pm
**ALSO**
I think you shouldnt put a long name.
Dno bout you, but when i see a map with a long name i get put off. .

DoubleSb
27 Jul 2009, 01:08am
Cell Auto open/close? AFK killar? :D

XeNo
27 Jul 2009, 01:51am
Cell Auto open/close? AFK killar? :D
Why would the sell automatically open and close...I'll just have a button to open it. AFK killer, maybe.

I'd show updated pictures, however, I was sidetracked by my idea for the Guard's armory being a giant vault door that opens in a fancy-isk way. But, getting it to work correctly has been a struggle...

Stevee
27 Jul 2009, 02:36am
Why would the sell automatically open and close...I'll just have a button to open it. AFK killer, maybe.

I'd show updated pictures, however, I was sidetracked by my idea for the Guard's armory being a giant vault door that opens in a fancy-isk way. But, getting it to work correctly has been a struggle...
Hmm,
I go against the afk killer simply because sometimes, me myself, I stay in my cell, delay a bit, and then sneak into the armoury.
Also,
Dont make it to complicated to get into the armoury , cos it might be hard for the t's to rush in and get weapons.
However , a vault sounds cool.

Movement
27 Jul 2009, 09:57pm
Looks good so far cant wait to see how the map turns out

HankTheTank
27 Jul 2009, 10:05pm
What is with new mappers and Dev textures...

The suck

Do NOT make a map with them. Christ sake.

Take the time to texture.. its not hard!

XeNo
27 Jul 2009, 11:16pm
What is with new mappers and Dev textures...

The suck

Do NOT make a map with them. Christ sake.

Take the time to texture.. its not hard!
There's making a map purely out of blocks and slapping dev textures on them, then there's taking time to detail a map which using anything BUT dev textures makes them look out of place and weird.

Just curious, have you even seen the map razor? It's quite possibly the most popular map in the Jailbreak server, have you seen it's 'textures'? It's something I could make in a matter of 3 hours. It's pathetic, it has no detail, and if you were to try and detail it with it's textures, they'd look hideous and out of place.

I'm not sure if you heard of Akai but he's one of the more famous mappers, all his maps are made out of dev textures, and all of them are rated (aside from his beta versions) close to 10, before you come into my thread telling me my map sucks or looks bad due to dev textures, why don't you go experiment and attempt to make something look detailed without them, try to make an abstract shape look nice without them, or a column that's future-isk made out of concrete and bricks, it would look so terrible I would laugh to no end.

I'm also not particularly 'new' to mapping, thank you very much.

Edit:
I just looked at your deathrun map, do me a favor and never come back into my thread disrespecting my map if your buttons and random checkered bunker in an outside area is going to look THAT terrible. If I were to do an outside area, I'd at least make the bunker look like it belonged. That checkered texture for it is just so unrealistic I cannot even begin to understand why you used it. You realize it's meant for floors, yes? Not for buttons and walls.

I don't even know why I wasted my time replying to your post now after seeing your own map. The outside is nice, and if I would make an outside map, I would use regular grass/rock walls, however I don't care to.

HankTheTank
28 Jul 2009, 01:02am
There's making a map purely out of blocks and slapping dev textures on them, then there's taking time to detail a map which using anything BUT dev textures makes them look out of place and weird.

Just curious, have you even seen the map razor? It's quite possibly the most popular map in the Jailbreak server, have you seen it's 'textures'? It's something I could make in a matter of 3 hours. It's pathetic, it has no detail, and if you were to try and detail it with it's textures, they'd look hideous and out of place.

I'm not sure if you heard of Akai but he's one of the more famous mappers, all his maps are made out of dev textures, and all of them are rated (aside from his beta versions) close to 10, before you come into my thread telling me my map sucks or looks bad due to dev textures, why don't you go experiment and attempt to make something look detailed without them, try to make an abstract shape look nice without them, or a column that's future-isk made out of concrete and bricks, it would look so terrible I would laugh to no end.

Edit:
I just looked at your deathrun map, do me a favor and never come back into my thread disrespecting my map if your buttons and random checkered bunker in an outside area is going to look THAT terrible. If I were to do an outside area, I'd at least make the bunker look like it belonged. That checkered texture for it is just so unrealistic I cannot even begin to understand why you used it. You realize it's meant for floors, yes? Not for buttons and walls.

I don't even know why I wasted my time replying to your post now after seeing your own map. The outside is nice, and if I would make an outside map, I would use regular grass/rock walls, however I don't care to.

Every jail map looks awful. Yours is going to be no exception.

By the looks of your Zombie map, It's going to be the latter.

I have, I like them. But they would be much better textured properly.

I beg to differ.

The funny thing is, I clearly told people that the textures are not going to stay like that.

But i just found it so much funnier that you just flammed that entire thing. Not to mention made yourself look like a fool.

Yes i do realise those textures are for floors. You do realize that Dev textures are ment for Developing the map. You know... Making parts/the whole map then Changing them. Not to relese the map like that.

never come back into my thread disrespecting my map

I clearly Did not disrespect your map untill now. If you were able to read.. I said that Dev textures are terrible.

Seeing how you got all defensive and bitchy.. i side with Suri.. You should've stayed banned.

So.. yeah. Grow up?

XeNo
28 Jul 2009, 01:18am
Telling me overall my map looks terrible (Disrespecting the use of dev textures) I would say that's direct disrespect to the map?

And, no I did not bother to read your full thread about your textures, if they're subject to change then I take back my comment about them, it's not something I plan to drag out.

As for all jail maps looking awful, mine will at least look different from the norm, I do not care for your opinion if it's just going to talk shit on the map constantly.

If you really believed all jail maps look bad, why would you post in my thread whatsoever? Other than just disrespect it. Once again I prove you have no use in my thread.

And you've now bothered to disrespect my other maps as well? Really, do you have any use responding to this thread other than to disrespect it and other threads made by me?

I, personally, believe textured maps are for when you aim for realism, since my map will not look like anything you'd find in real life, I see no point in using realistic textures. Do you?

I don't see how you can judge how new I am to mapping when currently re-making your deathrun map for me would be a walk in the park considering it isn't that difficult to re-make. I could even make improvements if I wished. I have no intention to, just saying.

And telling me the textures I planned to use look terrible is disrespectful to me considering I did not ask anyone's opinion on them, you just decided to come in call me new to mapping and that dev textures are terrible. I would call that disrespect considering it was uncalled for in every sense of the term. I do not care if you do not like dev textures, I do not care if you think every jail map looks bad, when you bother to butt into my thread telling me you don't, then I simply take it as disrespect. And being disrespected is not something I tolerate, so yes, I was defensive.

As for the use of dev textures, I know what they are for, I simply believed if you were all for things textured right, I should mention that your walls were floor textures.

And like Suri, others would think differently than you. Telling me you think I should be banned for trying to defend my map is just an overly pathetic statement. The thread is mine after all, I can be defensive about it if I wish.

Finally, growing up would indicate having tolerance and respect for others, you being intolerable of my use of Dev textures and disrespecting the map (considering it's all dev textures) by having to post your intolerance, would seem you could use some growing up as well?

HankTheTank
28 Jul 2009, 01:33am
A lot of people could probably remake my map, its not like it was overly hard to make. I dont get why you're making fun of my maps, when you can clearly use some practice yourself.

Again, you are brining up textures again. like i said, i am going to change them? You clearly have no intentions on changing yours. Which is why i am still going on about this.

I don't believe i am being that intolerable. i am just clearly stating my opinion. You just took the worst from it.

I posted in your thread because you are going to make one that has the potential to be even worse looking. There is only 1 map that i have ever seen able to actually pull off Dev textures.

If you think me telling you that Dev textures are bad is disrespect.. i think you need to take things less personally.

I may remind you that we are playing a game here. Realism is not that important of a factor for me. Like, i don't know about you.. but i've never run through a pathway as people set off traps on me.

Sooo... yeah.

:amuse:

XeNo
28 Jul 2009, 01:49am
A lot of people could probably remake my map, its not like it was overly hard to make. I dont get why you're making fun of my maps, when you can clearly use some practice yourself.
I was not making fun of, I was simply saying I don't see why you claim I'm new to mapping when I am not, and could re-do your map if needed to prove so (I assumed you were saying that you're better than me or whatever.)

As for needing practice, I am not sure what you're talking about? In what area?

Again, you are brining up textures again. like i said, i am going to change them? You clearly have no intentions on changing yours. Which is why i am still going on about this.
I already said I know now you plan on changing them, and for the most part have not tried to argue this point any further. I do not have any intention in changing mine, so I feel you saying the textures I use look terrible is quite disrespectful?

I don't believe i am being that intolerable. i am just clearly stating my opinion. You just took the worst from it.
Your opinion about how bad the map looks was not asked for. Only if anyone had any ideas pertaining to what the map contains. The dev textures was not up for discussion as I happen to like using them, I find them more interesting to use on maps that have very little reality to them.

I posted in your thread because you are going to make one that has the potential to be even worse looking. There is only 1 map that i have ever seen able to actually pull off Dev textures.
Which map? Perhaps giving a link or name to it would help. And I don't see why you would post in my thread just to say it has potential to look worse...Unless you worded this statement wrong.

If you think me telling you that Dev textures are bad is disrespect.. i think you need to take things less personally.
When the fact I'm using dev textures is non-negotiable, and the fact I plan to make the entire map out of them, I think telling me they look terrible is essentially saying my map looks terrible, which if anyone just came into your deathrun map saying 'The map looks terrible' then left it at that, you would feel it's disrespect.

I may remind you that we are playing a game here. Realism is not that important of a factor for me. Like, i don't know about you.. but i've never run through a pathway as people set off traps on me.

Sooo... yeah.

:amuse:
When it comes to realism, I meant it as in, if you look at my jail, there's a rotating square thing I just randomly put ontop of the door that opens up, if it was concrete, it would look entirely stupid to me, why would it be floating? Or rotating at that? It's completely unrealistic, where as Dev textures themselves are unrealistic, so it looks better in my opinion to have a random detail such as that dev textured.

The only other unrealistic textures I can think of are the combine textures which I really don't care for, they look worse than dev textures.

I hope this ends our conversation and you can go back to making maps your way, I shall continue making them how I wish.

HankTheTank
28 Jul 2009, 01:58am
Yeah, i think we are just going to keep going around in circles and continue butting heads.

Essentially it boils down to this.

Things were taken the wrong way (By both of us)

I don't like dev textures - You do.

I like Tile textures - You don't

I am going to leave with this.

Good luck.

Mcbride
29 Jul 2009, 09:38pm
looks kool hopefully we like the beta's =D

Jizzy
1 Aug 2009, 08:42am
Hmm dont know that map ! , the best map is Spacejail we need more like those maps with more than just pool and disco and soccer but also the lr rooms and i mean big lr rooms

MtrxMn
4 Aug 2009, 08:41am
Another good way to prevent armory camping would be to have an invisible button that opens the armory door from the outside.