PDA

View Full Version : X-Men Origins: Wolverine

:-]
27 Apr 2009, 07:57am
I watched it last night with some friends. To be completely blunt, there were way too many "main" characters for the plot to really take effect. The story was sub par and it took forever for it to finally connect to the X-men movie.

spoiler

For example, Gambit. For no reason, he attacks the main character because he assumes he's a bad guy because he's wearing dog tags... The fight goes on for a while and then it ends with Wolverine punching out Gambit when Sabertooth appears.

spoiler end

The world premiere of the movie happened in Tempe and from how the radio dj's put it, it was supposed to be "better than The Dark Knight" >_> yeah..I wasted $15 watching this film.

Dante
27 Apr 2009, 10:18am
The thing about this is, That This movie was not made by the guy who made the other three. It was written and done by marvel noone else. Thus it's going off of comic book. Not the shitty other 3 movies. That's why you think it's different. Personally i think it will rock but I have yet to see it seeing as it doesn't come out till this Friday.

Omar
27 Apr 2009, 10:24am
Meh.. Thought it was better

Red
27 Apr 2009, 10:53am
I'm telling you guys Terminator will be better.

It's got Christian Bale and YOU KNOW he REALLY cares about the film.

tLXVuy0h29c
YTihsJQHt48
5rCe796aJFQ

Italian Jew
27 Apr 2009, 11:07am
Word on the street (comic nerds) is that they severely messed up the story behind Deadpool and Weapon XI. I don't know if there is any validity to this because this is coming from guys who haven't seen the movie yet, just previews, so I hope it isn't too messed up.

Bubbles
27 Apr 2009, 03:56pm
i guess i need to see it then

never trust a :-] face's opinion on action movies.

:-]
27 Apr 2009, 04:02pm
i guess i need to see it then

never trust a :-] face's opinion on action movies.

Lies :P. In all honesty though, I thought it wasn't that great. I was surprised at the 7.1 rating it got on imdb. As far as it following the comics, you're right Dante, I'm not sure how the storyline is in the comics but I'm quite sure the way they've depicted some of the characters in the comics is completely off from how they were depicted in the film because I used to watch the cartoons from the 90's and it was relatively close to how the comics were :p. I don't want to spoil it for you but Deadpool, White Queen and Gambit alone are quite the letdown.

Dante
27 Apr 2009, 04:50pm
The movie like it says Origins which mean they're going into the story behind wolverine that's why its alittle weird Wolverine is the main character. So i'll wait to see it before i give my judgement.

Chêvouÿx
27 Apr 2009, 04:56pm
The thing about this is, That This movie was not made by the guy who made the other three. It was written and done by marvel noone else. Thus it's going off of comic book. Not the shitty other 3 movies. That's why you think it's different. Personally i think it will rock but I have yet to see it seeing as it doesn't come out till this Friday.

Either way, movies are part of a completely different world from books/comics. That's why it's a pain in the ass to convert a book to a movie and vise versa.

Not that I plan to see this movie, but I saw the previous three and thought they were amazing if not decent. But then again, I've never read a DC/Marvel comic :toung:

Dante
27 Apr 2009, 08:16pm
I never read them either only watched the cartoons :P

Jazz
2 May 2009, 03:07pm
How much of a scale of 10 would you guys give it? (8 out of 10 ex.)

Bubbles
3 May 2009, 11:54am
really bad CG

GrayFox
3 May 2009, 12:40pm
It was written and done by marvel noone else. Thus it's going off of comic book. Not the shitty other 3 movies.

The first two movies were excellent, its only the hitrd one that was actually bad.

Now this new movie, Origins, is clearly not up to par with the first two. While it does have some good action scenes and one-liners, the CGI effects look like they were made in the 1980's. I expect his claws to actually look real, not look like bright shining pieces of metal that clearly aren't in the same lighting. Also [COLOR="Red"]Spoiler>>>[COLOR="Red"]At the end when Weapon XI is spinning round and round blowing up the nuclear reactor with his laser eyes, it shows the beams go to other buildsings but somehow they don't destroy anything except for the reactor.

The acting in this movie is one of the shining parts. Will.I.Am. manages to not screw it up either, making him decent in this. Lev Strouder (sp?) plays the perfect person as Wolverine's brother Sabertooth.

I would have liked to see longer scenes, rather than the many 1 minute scenes of random stuff explaining foreshadowing and backrounds. Also, as someone up there mentioned, Gambit randomly just attacks Wolverine while he is fighting Sabertooth, possibly just to show that Gambit is an idiot.

Overall I give this a 6/10. Theres some good action scenes, but it certainly isn't a must see.

Silentfaith
3 May 2009, 02:06pm
I enjoyed it, some things could have been better. 7/10

darklink1133
3 May 2009, 06:43pm
It was an OKAY movie, I just didn't like how it was really short and how it ended.

Elleon
5 May 2009, 02:44am
I just saw the movie and wasn't suprised or amused. Although there are some cool new scenes and perhaps a few good one liners, nothing else is amazing. Sabertooth wasn't bad in my opinion, but I have never cared for the character so it didn't mean much. What can you expect from a character who's only real intimidating factor are long fingernails.

The entire film appeared too artificial and was difficult to get in to. This particular point is what made me lose intitial interest. Mutants are suppose to be feared, shocking, and secret, but no one really reacts that way at all and no one even bothers to question what the hell is going on. During mutant battles civilians walk hesitantly to the side as if in an old western during a bar fight or just stand still with stupid looks on their faces while a main cast member runs off into the woods without speaking a word.

They overplay a few cards in this movie as well, so if your favorite part of the previews was Wolverine spreading his arms, looking up to the sky, and roaring, then you will get plenty of these shots all around; they do it to the point of annoyance. We get it, you have muscles and are apparently angry about something.

This movie should have been far more dramatic, darker, and less black and white. Wolverine is suppose to be the gray in between, doesn't judge who his next victim is, and completes an objective at all costs. His "animalistic side" could be compared to a Teletubby with a bad hangover, Santa Clause with crabs, or perhaps Snuggles the Bear who uses Tide detergent instead of Downy once in a while. There may be a few naughty words, perhaps even a little bit of blood, but you will see the character as we originally did in the next scene as if nothing had happened beforehand.

I could go on and on, but I am about as bored talking about it as I was watching it. Cheesy. Mediocre. Just another predictable work that Hollywood has been spitting out for years now. More flash than bang?

5 out of 10

By the way, the CG really wasn't that good, the scenes didn't run smoothly from one to another, and the only foreshadowing consisted of randomly tossed around key names. Don't pay to see this.

PotshotPolka
8 May 2009, 07:50am
2/10, cinema has fallen as of late.

Red
8 May 2009, 09:33am
lol Rottentomatoes.com gave it a 36% compared with Star Trek's 96%.

I'm SOOOO glad they were showing Star Trek last night, saved me from wasting money on Xmen.

Kay
11 May 2009, 10:13am
While I am not a fan of the comics, from what I saw I thought it was pretty good. There were a bit to many main characters, but it was still good

Eldest
11 May 2009, 02:01pm
I just saw the pre-DVD release video with lots of CGI missing, ropes hanging from peoples' backs, mats and slides visible on the ground. The movie was crap.

Dante
11 May 2009, 08:19pm
I just saw the pre-DVD release video with lots of CGI missing, ropes hanging from peoples' backs, mats and slides visible on the ground. The movie was crap.

WELL DUH! its missing CGI that's why you think its crap lol