PDA

View Full Version : Obama makes a good proposal, direct government funding of education loans.

LegalSmash
24 Apr 2009, 04:30pm
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090424/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_college_costs

GOOD PROPOSAL from OBAMA, ZOUNDS!

CLAP CLAP CLAP

Too bad I'm done with school, if I was just starting I could have government funded my money instead of having to borrow Jew Gold from private companies with retarded interest rates.

I like this, and I a happy with this proposal by him. It may be too little, too late for me, but I have a LOT of relatives that this could benefit.

PotshotPolka
24 Apr 2009, 04:35pm
(Finishes filling out an ROTC-Army scholarship and enlistment)

Do what?

Blue Wolf X53
24 Apr 2009, 04:38pm
This fall I am going to college, so I may not need much of there help (scholarship), but I know people who need this money. Good call Obama

Italian Jew
24 Apr 2009, 04:48pm
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090424/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_college_costs

GOOD PROPOSAL from OBAMA, ZOUNDS!

CLAP CLAP CLAP

Too bad I'm done with school, if I was just starting I could have government funded my money instead of having to borrow Jew Gold from private companies with retarded interest rates.

I like this, and I a happy with this proposal by him. It may be too little, too late for me, but I have a LOT of relatives that this could benefit.

http://jewpimp.ytmnd.com/

How we roll

LegalSmash
24 Apr 2009, 05:07pm
(Finishes filling out an ROTC-Army scholarship and enlistment)

Do what?

Yeah, not everyone qualifies, I know this personally.

RedOctober
24 Apr 2009, 05:08pm
good news finally. i can pay for Embry Riddle now! yay

LegalSmash
24 Apr 2009, 05:13pm

If you are being serious, this is what I'm talking about, there are a lot of people who could really use money for some sort of tech school that would otherwise have to borrow privately at higher rates. We need people to be able to spend their income that they earn with their degree on the economy, rather than on paying back loans for the majority of their adult life.

PotshotPolka
24 Apr 2009, 05:41pm
If you are being serious, this is what I'm talking about, there are a lot of people who could really use money for some sort of tech school that would otherwise have to borrow privately at higher rates. We need people to be able to spend their income that they earn with their degree on the economy, rather than on paying back loans for the majority of their adult life.

I still am personally against this. I prefer to think of it as test of character for a person to be willing to pay their way to their own successful future.

LegalSmash
24 Apr 2009, 08:15pm
I still am personally against this. I prefer to think of it as test of character for a person to be willing to pay their way to their own successful future.

Its either you aren't getting the point of the article, and the method by which educational loans are given, or you have somehow had a brainfart from "intelligent kid" to "fucking moron", I'm not sure...
Basically, the government would back educational funding at a higher level, rather than farming it out for companies that charge at a much higher rate, with more draconian terms. People still pay back government loans, they HAVE to, you cannot bankrupt your way out of it
either. This is a DIRECT loan, not a perkins, or a stafford loan, federal direct is "must pay back loan" as opposed to "I can get out of this depending on X or Y". Private company loans on the other hand, charge usurious interest rates on students desperate to finish their education, rather than having reasonable terms, they will sue you (when you have nothing to be sued for to begin with), and wreck your credit, despite the state of the economy, your employment situation, or ability to pay. Trust me, I know this all too well, I'm a professional who has a LOT of student loans.

its almost as bad as the health insurance industry (another aspect of business created on artificially created need by a bunch of dicks who saw a way to fuck doctors out of money, and people out of paychecks based on "fortuitous events ****)

People paying for their own educations is fine, and if its possible, you should do it, because borrowing is expensive.... but your test of character argument is a crock of shit, I'm sorry.

It's easy to "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" in college
except for when the economy is so stagnant that it will not support jobs for people seeking college money, the military's GI bill is so outdated that servicemen and women STILL have to get 20-30K in debt after having served several tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, despite injured status, etc.

Its disgusting that this country so is so ass backwards when it comes to educational investment and funding, and part of the reason why so many of our offspring are fucking retards...

I normally agree with you on a great deal of things, but as someone coming INTO college, you have no fucking idea the pressure of the financial situation regarding loans, your personal finances, and the piece of shit job market when you come OUT of college, and this is coming from someone who worked through college, and has done their best to borrow as little as necessary and paved their own way.

PotshotPolka
24 Apr 2009, 08:56pm
Its either you aren't getting the point of the article, and the method by which educational loans are given, or you have somehow had a brainfart from "intelligent kid" to "fucking moron", I'm not sure...
Basically, the government would back educational funding at a higher level, rather than farming it out for companies that charge at a much higher rate, with more draconian terms. People still pay back government loans, they HAVE to, you cannot bankrupt your way out of it
either. This is a DIRECT loan, not a perkins, or a stafford loan, federal direct is "must pay back loan" as opposed to "I can get out of this depending on X or Y". Private company loans on the other hand, charge usurious interest rates on students desperate to finish their education, rather than having reasonable terms, they will sue you (when you have nothing to be sued for to begin with), and wreck your credit, despite the state of the economy, your employment situation, or ability to pay. Trust me, I know this all too well, I'm a professional who has a LOT of student loans.

its almost as bad as the health insurance industry (another aspect of business created on artificially created need by a bunch of dicks who saw a way to fuck doctors out of money, and people out of paychecks based on "fortuitous events ****)

People paying for their own educations is fine, and if its possible, you should do it, because borrowing is expensive.... but your test of character argument is a crock of shit, I'm sorry.

It's easy to "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" in college
except for when the economy is so stagnant that it will not support jobs for people seeking college money, the military's GI bill is so outdated that servicemen and women STILL have to get 20-30K in debt after having served several tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, despite injured status, etc.

Its disgusting that this country so is so ass backwards when it comes to educational investment and funding, and part of the reason why so many of our offspring are fucking retards...

I normally agree with you on a great deal of things, but as someone coming INTO college, you have no fucking idea the pressure of the financial situation regarding loans, your personal finances, and the piece of shit job market when you come OUT of college, and this is coming from someone who worked through college, and has done their best to borrow as little as necessary and paved their own way.

I had reviewed my options very carefully when considering how to pay the tuition at my college, And annually the cost will be about $40,000. Paying this amount off, if I would to be extremely conservative in spending and lucky with employment would probably take at least 10-15 years to pay off, etc etc, no hard numbers here.

As far as loans go, I don't agree with it being moderating by the government on a fundamental basis. If you want to argue pragmatism, then yes, its better to either a)remove subsidization of college grants (would make the public piss FIRE) or b) just manage it directly, and cut the middle man.

I agree its hard to pay through college, and if you argue I'm being a dumbfuck for joining the army (which I planned to do anyways) to pay my way through instead of leaving a debt the size of my family's house mortgage for my folks, which is what they vehemently suggested, then I would advise to please leave that there.

To put this into a general perspective dude: This may indeed make higher education for affordable, potentially more cost effective (this, according to the article is arguable, granted I agree it cuts back considerably on the red tape), and will allow more students to attend colleges perhaps.

Is this "good"?

Last time the government decided to make things more affordable, I remember something "bad" happening. More people began buying homes because of accommodating policies, easy credit, and willing loaners.
The value of homes inflated, and eventually burst, and there were an excess number of homes on the market.

Yes, this arguably non sequitur, but if you replace homes with students, look at what could happen. If more people simply pursue higher educations, the value of college diploma will fall, and there could be a surplus of well-educated, in debt, pissy students entering a workforce with little room.
I've already been asked this once by my counselor: "So what's your major?" My answer was: "Russian Studies, dual majoring with Political Science (and now a minor in Military Science)". She then went right on and asked me "And what do you plan to get your Master's in?" I answered I didn't feel that I needed a Master's, and she was shocked and told me that a bachelor's alone these days isn't worth much of anything, you need a Master's of some sort, or else you're just a "Man of letters" as she phrased it, or rather a Pleb with basic knowledges.

Promoting education in my honest, in my "fucking morornic" opinion, in both a personal and detached opinion, is that one, this will decrease my opportunities in the job market in the future, which is yes, selfish, self-centered, but possible. And two, increasing the number of educated people in the world won't simply make it better, it will probably lead to chronic underemployment (Rocket Scientist serving Big Macs, since there are no available openings) go look at N. Korea for instance, highest literacy rate in the world.

Also it really concerns me that the government is overextending into upper-level education even more than it already has, and it will most likely incur debts and defaults just like any other bank would, and having all of education on the shoulder's of a country which is going to need new digits on its national debt clock soon is concerning.

LegalSmash
24 Apr 2009, 09:25pm
I had reviewed my options very carefully when considering how to pay the tuition at my college, And annually the cost will be about $40,000. Paying this amount off, if I would to be extremely conservative in spending and lucky with employment would probably take at least 10-15 years to pay off, etc etc, no hard numbers here.

As far as loans go, I don't agree with it being moderating by the government on a fundamental basis. If you want to argue pragmatism, then yes, its better to either a)remove subsidization of college grants (would make the public piss FIRE) or b) just manage it directly, and cut the middle man.

I agree its hard to pay through college, and if you argue I'm being a dumbfuck for joining the army (which I planned to do anyways) to pay my way through instead of leaving a debt the size of my family's house mortgage for my folks, which is what they vehemently suggested, then I would advise to please leave that there.

To put this into a general perspective dude: This may indeed make higher education for affordable, potentially more cost effective (this, according to the article is arguable, granted I agree it cuts back considerably on the red tape), and will allow more students to attend colleges perhaps.

Is this "good"?

Last time the government decided to make things more affordable, I remember something "bad" happening. More people began buying homes because of accommodating policies, easy credit, and willing loaners.
The value of homes inflated, and eventually burst, and there were an excess number of homes on the market.

Yes, this arguably non sequitur, but if you replace homes with students, look at what could happen. If more people simply pursue higher educations, the value of college diploma will fall, and there could be a surplus of well-educated, in debt, pissy students entering a workforce with little room.
I've already been asked this once by my counselor: "So what's your major?" My answer was: "Russian Studies, dual majoring with Political Science (and now a minor in Military Science)". She then went right on and asked me "And what do you plan to get your Master's in?" I answered I didn't feel that I needed a Master's, and she was shocked and told me that a bachelor's alone these days isn't worth much of anything, you need a Master's of some sort, or else you're just a "Man of letters" as she phrased it, or rather a Pleb with basic knowledges.

Promoting education in my honest, in my "fucking morornic" opinion, in both a personal and detached opinion, is that one, this will decrease my opportunities in the job market in the future, which is yes, selfish, self-centered, but possible. And two, increasing the number of educated people in the world won't simply make it better, it will probably lead to chronic underemployment (Rocket Scientist serving Big Macs, since there are no available openings) go look at N. Korea for instance, highest literacy rate in the world.

Also it really concerns me that the government is overextending into upper-level education even more than it already has, and it will most likely incur debts and defaults just like any other bank would, and having all of education on the shoulder's of a country which is going to need new digits on its national debt clock soon is concerning.

I by no means find your choice of ROTC to be stupid at all, rather the lack of pragmatic thought in your statement that upset me. I agree as to the promotion of education. I am a fan of the idea of only funding majors that are directly leading to work or graduate studies of a professional variety... this being said, I think Counselors should be shot for suggesting someone take a "environmental spiritualism" major and then have the gall for suggesting a masters in the native american drum. The military is a good thing, I'm currently trying, as I have before to enter service through JAG. I don't find service to be stupid at all, what I find downright disgusting however, is our crackhead asshole senators shorting the GI's by not properly funding the GI bill, or updating it from its initial form to reflect changes in cost of education and living costs.

I am honestly all for cutting out the middle man, we don't need him and he artificially inflates the cost of the good or service (see medicine and health care companies for example) when the transaction could be done on a one on one basis, and the service's true cost could be paid, rather than the loan "servicer" getting 500 each loan you take (wait until you get your first disbursement.. the "cuz we felt like it charge"...). The loan servicer company should not get money for processing a claim that has nothing to do with them, it should be a direct transfer of funds between Loan generator and school.

Lastly, the housing argument is not valid here, at all. The government, if anything SHOULD be involved in higher education. The liberal elite for too long have had WAY too much control over schools. There are schools that actually KICKED OUT recruiters, based on their "don't ask, don't tell" policy. In my opinion, activities like that by the school should be punished harshly, and if the school takes no federal money, they should be fined.

This especially applies at state schools with highly liberal slants, in my opinion, the imposition of something like a class list that MUST be taken (NOT AN ENTIRE MAJOR, JUST A SET OF CLASSES) if you take financial aid money from the government (classes that make you marketable perhaps) would be a good start, and perhaps lowering the amount of aid allowable for athletes who are recruited who without the sports would NOT make it into the school in a solely academic basis. Schools should be about preparing people for life, not "guys run fast with ball on saturday" schools, I don't care how much money the football program makes.

Its a matter of principle and integrity.

PotshotPolka
24 Apr 2009, 09:30pm
I by no means find your choice of ROTC to be stupid at all, rather the lack of pragmatic thought in your statement that upset me. I agree as to the promotion of education. I am a fan of the idea of only funding majors that are directly leading to work or graduate studies of a professional variety... this being said, I think Counselors should be shot for suggesting someone take a "environmental spiritualism" major and then have the gall for suggesting a masters in the native american drum. The military is a good thing, I'm currently trying, as I have before to enter service through JAG. I don't find service to be stupid at all, what I find downright disgusting however, is our crackhead asshole senators shorting the GI's by not properly funding the GI bill, or updating it from its initial form to reflect changes in cost of education and living costs.

I am honestly all for cutting out the middle man, we don't need him and he artificially inflates the cost of the good or service (see medicine and health care companies for example) when the transaction could be done on a one on one basis, and the service's true cost could be paid, rather than the loan "servicer" getting 500 each loan you take (wait until you get your first disbursement.. the "cuz we felt like it charge"...). The loan servicer company should not get money for processing a claim that has nothing to do with them, it should be a direct transfer of funds between Loan generator and school.

Lastly, the housing argument is not valid here, at all. The government, if anything SHOULD be involved in higher education. The liberal elite for too long have had WAY too much control over schools. There are schools that actually KICKED OUT recruiters, based on their "don't ask, don't tell" policy. In my opinion, activities like that by the school should be punished harshly, and if the school takes no federal money, they should be fined.

This especially applies at state schools with highly liberal slants, in my opinion, the imposition of something like a class list that MUST be taken (NOT AN ENTIRE MAJOR, JUST A SET OF CLASSES) if you take financial aid money from the government (classes that make you marketable perhaps) would be a good start, and perhaps lowering the amount of aid allowable for athletes who are recruited who without the sports would NOT make it into the school in a solely academic basis. Schools should be about preparing people for life, not "guys run fast with ball on saturday" schools, I don't care how much money the football program makes.

Its a matter of principle and integrity.

Well I guess we'll see how it runs out. By the way, is this for State schools only, or is reflecting across the board for all Stafford loans and the like?

Lux
25 Apr 2009, 05:02am
To think I thought our Uni's cost a lot :crazy:

I think Potshot has a slight point, with the over education of people....but theres not going to be rocket scientists in McDonald's because you take the interest out of loans, the tests aren't any easier and its a bit unfair to not give people who have the chance to be successful (which in turn is good for the country) because of money problems right now.

I don't think that education is something that should be left to handle itself financially, or you'll end up with brain-damaged heirs to a fortune getting top jobs and potential rocket scientist farmers being at McDonald's. :blink:

trakaill
25 Apr 2009, 05:24am

satellite campus is not that expensive! im going there now in South FL

PotshotPolka
25 Apr 2009, 06:14am
satellite campus is not that expensive! im going there now in South FL

Take him please, I want his ass as far away from me as possible.

RedOctober
25 Apr 2009, 02:19pm
Well I guess we'll see how it runs out. By the way, is this for State schools only, or is reflecting across the board for all Stafford loans and the like?

did anyone find out the answer to this question?

im planing on a private University (Embry Riddle) and this money would be a god send.

btw, i understand the point Potshot is making with the government intervening in higher education and adding the strain on the debt but you have to look at this as a long tern investment for America.

investing in college and secondary education will add to the economy in the long run because people that have extra money to spend are the people that went to college and have a good job. simple concept and im glad to see something done. (i may have a biased opinion because i may be a recipient of these funds. i can see how someone who wont see a dime of this money might be pissed though)

LegalSmash
25 Apr 2009, 04:09pm
did anyone find out the answer to this question?

im planing on a private University (Embry Riddle) and this money would be a god send.

btw, i understand the point Potshot is making with the government intervening in higher education and adding the strain on the debt but you have to look at this as a long tern investment for America.

investing in college and secondary education will add to the economy in the long run because people that have extra money to spend are the people that went to college and have a good job. simple concept and im glad to see something done. (i may have a biased opinion because i may be a recipient of these funds. i can see how someone who wont see a dime of this money might be pissed though)

As an attorney who's education was funded by loans, this is a great idea.

PingPong
25 Apr 2009, 05:11pm
canada ey?

PotshotPolka
25 Apr 2009, 05:41pm
1UP.

trakaill
25 Apr 2009, 11:26pm
Take him please, I want his ass as far away from me as possible.

do you know him??? cause if that sarcasm or what not I was just stating a fact that can save quite a few thousands of dollars) I knew I was OT...

BOOWY
26 Apr 2009, 12:00am
It only costs me between $1,500 - $2,000 per full semester. I don't even remember anymore but that's a good ballpark figure. Of course there's much less emphasis on leaving home to live on campus up here in the north. I walk for 20-25 minutes from home and I'm on campus.

The last thing people need during a recession or on the rebound of a recession is for loan collectors to be breathing down their necks.

PotshotPolka
26 Apr 2009, 07:23am
do you know him??? cause if that sarcasm or what not I was just stating a fact that can save quite a few thousands of dollars) I knew I was OT...

Yes, I've gone to school with him for over ten years, just making a jab.

trakaill
26 Apr 2009, 11:11am
It only costs me between $1,500 - $2,000 per full semester. I don't even remember anymore but that's a good ballpark figure. Of course there's much less emphasis on leaving home to live on campus up here in the north. I walk for 20-25 minutes from home and I'm on campus.

The last thing people need during a recession or on the rebound of a recession is for loan collectors to be breathing down their necks.

Here if you want an quick idea ERAU main campus ie Daytona, Arizona over $1000 a credit hour thats over 3 grand a class a regular semester cost about $12000 only in classes + about $4000 for housing(required first year to stay on campus).

The same amount of classes on the satellite campus = $3000 ( around $250 per credit hour) I drive from my house so no housing.
Now the bad part is you have a lot less degrees to choose from at the satellite campus. the good part is that your diploma will say it comes from daytona beach florida, so it doesnt matter if you go to a satellite campus employers wont know!

Ive researched for a while and Im currently going there so Im pretty sure my info are accurate. They are based on no financial situation!

RedOctober
26 Apr 2009, 01:29pm
Here if you want an quick idea ERAU main campus ie Daytona, Arizona over $1000 a credit hour thats over 3 grand a class a regular semester cost about $12000 only in classes + about $4000 for housing(required first year to stay on campus).

The same amount of classes on the satellite campus = $3000 ( around $250 per credit hour) I drive from my house so no housing.
Now the bad part is you have a lot less degrees to choose from at the satellite campus. the good part is that your diploma will say it comes from daytona beach florida, so it doesnt matter if you go to a satellite campus employers wont know!

Ive researched for a while and Im currently going there so Im pretty sure my info are accurate. They are based on no financial situation!

u going to ERAU at the Arizona campus...?

your right. its freaking expensive as hell.
whats your major? <im going for aerospace engineering in daytona

RedOctober
26 Apr 2009, 01:33pm
Yes, I've gone to school with him for over ten years, just making a jab.

it ok. he is in the same boat as me.
his school costs about the same as ERAU.... but he sold his soul to the army so he is ok.

(im going to join the AF ROTC program and they are going to pay for most 75% + living expences. i have to make up the other 25% though)

PotshotPolka
26 Apr 2009, 02:02pm
it ok. he is in the same boat as me.
his school costs about the same as ERAU.... but he sold his soul to the army so he is ok.

(im going to join the AF ROTC program and they are going to pay for most 75% + living expences. i have to make up the other 25% though)

Really? the Army ROTC program + the Faculty scholarship + FRAG, FAFSA is enough total for me, we're actually getting the Florida Prepaid funds back.

RedOctober
26 Apr 2009, 06:36pm
Really? the Army ROTC program + the Faculty scholarship + FRAG, FAFSA is enough total for me, we're actually getting the Florida Prepaid funds back.

i didnt know u were getting your Pre-Paid back. good for you.

still if it wasnt for the Army ROTC you would be skullf**ked

trakaill
26 Apr 2009, 07:35pm
u going to ERAU at the Arizona campus...?

your right. its freaking expensive as hell.
whats your major? <im going for aerospace engineering in daytona

No Im at the satellite campus in Fort-lauderdal, I doing a bachelor in Professional Aeronautics, nothing special really, just a general major to have a 4 year degree. Im trying to be a professional pilot.
But yeah unfortunately I dont think the satellite campus offers engineering degrees :( but it seem you have a lot of help which is awesome. I dont get any financial aid for few reason main one the fact that Im foreing so my family is helping me pay but its quite cheaper where im at..like I said $12000 vs $3000 a semester in classes.

If I had a choice and if money wasnt a factor Id prolly choose the daytona campus you gonna have fun! Its a great campus I went to the open house!

RedOctober
27 Apr 2009, 11:55am
No Im at the satellite campus in Fort-lauderdal, I doing a bachelor in Professional Aeronautics, nothing special really, just a general major to have a 4 year degree. Im trying to be a professional pilot.
But yeah unfortunately I dont think the satellite campus offers engineering degrees :( but it seem you have a lot of help which is awesome. I dont get any financial aid for few reason main one the fact that Im foreing so my family is helping me pay but its quite cheaper where im at..like I said $12000 vs $3000 a semester in classes.

If I had a choice and if money wasnt a factor Id prolly choose the daytona campus you gonna have fun! Its a great campus I went to the open house!

thanks. good luck on the pilot thing. the bachelor in PA should be good enough to geet you in good with Boeing or Delta.

i dont know if u heard about this or not but Delta has a flight academy in Sanford. its a 2 year thing but i here its pretty good and they pay your way if your willing to teach for a year.