PDA

View Full Version : Is this wrong!

oldskool
23 Apr 2009, 04:42pm
Today A Marketwatch news report says " A probe by New York Attorney Cuomo concludes then-Treasury chief Paulson (above) issued an ultimatum to B. of A.'s Ken Lewis to force a complete takeover".

This was for the Merrill Lynch merger. Did the Treasury have the best interests of the nation to force this deal?

Was it greed ?

Was Merrill too big to fail or bail out ?

My thinking is quite simple , Capitolism at its best is about the best companies continuing to do busn and prosper, while companies that make mistakes will fail and die. The Teasury knew a Merrill failure would cause great pain for the economy now and possibly a systemic failure , but this just kicks the can down the road to the next generation.

Your thoughts, consider if u had an account w/Merrill ?

PotshotPolka
23 Apr 2009, 04:47pm
Link so I can actually make a judgment on this rather than speculation?

RedOctober
23 Apr 2009, 04:56pm
found it...

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Lewis-told-seal-Merrill-deal/story.aspx?guid={44D09600-944A-4A04-8AB9-919E166E0AF4}

merrill shouldn't be intervened with. let classical economy follow its course and stop this protectionism and interventionism.

Italian Jew
23 Apr 2009, 05:01pm
found it...

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Lewis-told-seal-Merrill-deal/story.aspx?guid={44D09600-944A-4A04-8AB9-919E166E0AF4}

merrill shouldn't be intervened with. let classical economy follow its course and stop this protectionism and interventionism.

It happened in December/early January, so its too late for shouldn't haves.

RedOctober
23 Apr 2009, 05:09pm
oh well.... too late

still shouldn't of happened though.

bank of america/ merrill merger was a bad move during this crisis. if that deal fell through than BofA stocks would of took a shit.

are they just now finding where to point the blame?

LegalSmash
23 Apr 2009, 06:15pm
IF someone wants to buy the assets and merge, it is capitalism, if the merger is incentivized, its still capitalism, its only anti capitalist when the government buys them and forces the rest of us to shoulder the burden.

oldskool
24 Apr 2009, 08:50am
It happened in December/early January, so its too late for shouldn't haves.
If We don't learn from the mistakes of the past , we are failures for the future......Keep an ear out , we will be faced with this type of issue again, don't be fooled into thinking this was a one time deal!

Italian Jew
24 Apr 2009, 10:22am
If We don't learn from the mistakes of the past , we are failures for the future......Keep an ear out , we will be faced with this type of issue again, don't be fooled into thinking this was a one time deal!

Um, nobody is

PotshotPolka
24 Apr 2009, 10:39am
I find it odd the first part of the forum this guy went for was the N&P section.

Italian Jew
24 Apr 2009, 11:09am
I find it odd the first part of the forum this guy went for was the N&P section.

Well, his profile says he is 106 years old BUT I'd bank around the pre-teen years. He is sure of himself, but not in an informed or truly expressive way. Its as if Kay started typing more sentences or relaying what tidbit he learned that day.

PotshotPolka
24 Apr 2009, 11:27am
Well, his profile says he is 106 years old BUT I'd bank around the pre-teen years. He is sure of himself, but not in an informed or truly expressive way. Its as if Kay started typing more sentences or relaying what tidbit he learned that day.

Or just logged onto Ron Paul's twitter.

Italian Jew
24 Apr 2009, 11:31am
Or just logged onto Ron Paul's twitter.

ZING!

RedOctober
24 Apr 2009, 05:07pm
OUCH!

ease up on the poor guy...