PDA

View Full Version : What type of mods would people like to see for L4D?

Xarshi
23 Apr 2009, 03:20pm
I've been wondering this for a while.

If you don't know much about me, I'm pursuing a career in software development. I have been programming for most of my life. I know C/C++, C#, VB.net(blah), and Java. So I know what I'm doing.

Basically, the new L4D SDK is supposed to be coming out soon. Meaning I'll be able to mod gameplay and add weapons, characters, or new gametypes. Or an entirely new game in general.

So basically, I just wanted to know if you guys have ideas for mods you'd like to see for this game. I spoke about this earlier in the chatbox and had a few suggestions which were:
(Weapon) Chainsaw
(Weapon) Golf Club
(Server mod) Escape
(Server mod) Napalm type zombie mod (my idea).

I just want to program some of the first mods for this game. And I want them to be good ones, so I want to know some suggestions from what used to be the Zombie Murder community!

Thanks in advance,
Ben (Xarshi)

Dracula
23 Apr 2009, 03:36pm
Cades plox

Xarshi
23 Apr 2009, 04:28pm
Yeah, I was thinking about cades as well. I'll have to see how they'll work out in L4Ds engine. They should be fine though.

SpEeD
23 Apr 2009, 06:58pm
zombiemod

Xarshi
23 Apr 2009, 07:38pm
Well whatever is made is most likely going to be zombie based as it is a zombie game.

ReneGade
24 Apr 2009, 06:58am
If you want any help programing I'd be interested, I have recently found out my internship this semester doesn't start until mid-June so end of May beginning of June I am going to have a fair amount of free time. I am a Junior Comp Sci major so I'm fluent in C/C++/Java and can pick up languages quickly.

(von dutch) delta force 8
24 Apr 2009, 07:42am
ZOMBIES WIV GUNS!!!!!!

Nugzy
24 Apr 2009, 09:30am
More weapons please, anything like a baseball bat :D to like a random objects found in the street eg. a small throwing knife you know, l4d needed more weps :P good luck

Xarshi
24 Apr 2009, 11:16am
If you want any help programing I'd be interested, I have recently found out my internship this semester doesn't start until mid-June so end of May beginning of June I am going to have a fair amount of free time. I am a Junior Comp Sci major so I'm fluent in C/C++/Java and can pick up languages quickly.

Ah, another programmer, sounds fun! That could come in handy if I'm really going to go all out on this.

As of right now, I'm just kinda developing for no reason. :boxing: I would just like to get the first mods for L4D out and possibly have the only mods in a couple of servers.

I want to model something remotely off of the Call of Duty 5: World at War zombie thing, where you are trapped inside of a house (or so I saw) and zombies try to enter.

That's just what I'm thinking of so far. If anyone has any useful suggestions feel free to post :kev:

Svendy
24 Apr 2009, 12:34pm
gahhh i'm just learning c++ and python... if i were better i'd love to help out...
well about the mods, idk no ideas.

Leon
24 Apr 2009, 02:42pm
Ah, another programmer, sounds fun! That could come in handy if I'm really going to go all out on this.

As of right now, I'm just kinda developing for no reason. :boxing: I would just like to get the first mods for L4D out and possibly have the only mods in a couple of servers.

I want to model something remotely off of the Call of Duty 5: World at War zombie thing, where you are trapped inside of a house (or so I saw) and zombies try to enter.
That's just what I'm thinking of so far. If anyone has any useful suggestions feel free to post :kev:

That would be awsome!

Svendy
24 Apr 2009, 03:18pm
kinda like the Survival mod?

Xarshi
24 Apr 2009, 10:27pm

A little, but different. I honestly would want to keep it just zombies, make 'em a bit tougher, and then trap you in a house.

I still want to create Half-Life: Extraction. It would be following a team of Combine Soldiers around a desolate city of zombies. And your end goal to reach an extraction point. That I really want to make... It'd be exciting IMO. It'd stick to the Half-Life world a little, except running zombies and stuff and zombies without headcrabs.

Anymore ideas are welcome! Once I finish my school project I'll have tons of time before my next project, and I want to make something fun happen!

(von dutch) delta force 8
25 Apr 2009, 01:26pm
A little, but different. I honestly would want to keep it just zombies, make 'em a bit tougher, and then trap you in a house.

I still want to create Half-Life: Extraction. It would be following a team of Combine Soldiers around a desolate city of zombies. And your end goal to reach an extraction point. That I really want to make... It'd be exciting IMO. It'd stick to the Half-Life world a little, except running zombies and stuff and zombies without headcrabs.

Anymore ideas are welcome! Once I finish my school project I'll have tons of time before my next project, and I want to make something fun happen!

You think you're able to make ike another special infected, THAT would blow the roof

PingPong
25 Apr 2009, 02:15pm
I would say cade, sort of like the call of duty house but you have to barricade it yourself instead of just pressing a button to make wood boards block the winows.

Xarshi
25 Apr 2009, 04:10pm
Hm... I would have to see how that would work ping pong. I can think of a few ideas.

On another note, I just got back from a programming competition. Did relatively well, yet feel I could challenge myself much more. I'm going to have to compile a list of extremely hard problems to gain more knowledge in analytical thinking in terms of problems. Ugh.

PingPong
25 Apr 2009, 05:33pm
Hm... I would have to see how that would work ping pong. I can think of a few ideas.

On another note, I just got back from a programming competition. Did relatively well, yet feel I could challenge myself much more. I'm going to have to compile a list of extremely hard problems to gain more knowledge in analytical thinking in terms of problems. Ugh.
Well what i was thinking is that you could place a bunch of movable objects around the area, and there could be points where you could buy more with a pop up screen or where you can buy the same object from a certain spot. It would be hard but im hoping youd be able to pull if off, also about moving the items theres ALOT of ways to do it, just depends what you want

Leon
25 Apr 2009, 06:55pm

but unlike Last Stand the wall breaks, even the brick ones! Staying in one place and resetting up the cade would be great but also maybe having a few walls break. When i saw that it broke in there i was upset, great spot too >.>

Bullet Wound
30 Apr 2009, 09:14pm
Ideas for Mods:

Hunter Surprise buttsex : For fun, kinda like the hunter mods now but make it so hunters can pounce each other

"True" Undead Survival Mode : 4+ players in a city, only normal zombies, head-shots only kills (anywhere else just knocks them back/slows them down), slower zombies + LOTS OF ZOMBIES. Survivors had LIMITED PISTOL ammo, and VERY LIMITED other weapon ammo
Notes: To make this version harder you can have the person's cursor move around slightly at all times so its harder for them to get a clean shot off

Who is the Infected? : One player at the start is chosen to be the infected, its his/her job to make sure the team does not live, the other players do not know who this is
Notes: Normal Infected WILL attack the Infected player, Special Infected WILL NOT. That is how you find out who it is, the players can call a vote to determine who the infected is, until a vote is commenced FF is OFF, if the player who started the vote is wrong, they will die, if they are right, the "infected" player will be teleported to the beginning as a stronger and faster than normal tank (with no rage timer). This will encourage players to not just wildly guess who the infected is

Not very complex mods, but i think if they were done right they would each be fun

PingPong
1 May 2009, 05:38pm
Ideas for Mods:

Hunter Surprise buttsex : For fun, kinda like the hunter mods now but make it so hunters can pounce each other

"True" Undead Survival Mode : 4+ players in a city, only normal zombies, head-shots only kills (anywhere else just knocks them back/slows them down), slower zombies + LOTS OF ZOMBIES. Survivors had LIMITED PISTOL ammo, and VERY LIMITED other weapon ammo
Notes: To make this version harder you can have the person's cursor move around slightly at all times so its harder for them to get a clean shot off

Who is the Infected? : One player at the start is chosen to be the infected, its his/her job to make sure the team does not live, the other players do not know who this is
Notes: Normal Infected WILL attack the Infected player, Special Infected WILL NOT. That is how you find out who it is, the players can call a vote to determine who the infected is, until a vote is commenced FF is OFF, if the player who started the vote is wrong, they will die, if they are right, the "infected" player will be teleported to the beginning as a stronger and faster than normal tank (with no rage timer). This will encourage players to not just wildly guess who the infected is

Not very complex mods, but i think if they were done right they would each be fun
I WOULD PLAY THAT! GREAT IDEA DUDE!

Xarshi
3 May 2009, 04:25pm
I like those ideas. Definitely. I'll add those to my list for sure.