PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty: World at War

Runski
17 Apr 2009, 01:56pm
$K!??!NG $N!?ER here, doing my first review.
Okay lets start this off on the Single Player.
Going through the game you play as Private Miller [MARINE RAIDERS: USA] and Private Dimitri Petrenko [RED ARMY: RUSSIA] (don't correct me on spelling) playing in a World War II storyline... again. The controls are the same as Call of Duty 4's. The missions that i believe are pretty cool, and always repeatable are, Vendetta, Downfall, Black Cats, and Blood and Iron. There are also hidden modes to pick up called, Death Cards, getting these will give you different experiences going through on CO-OP.
The Difficulties are what they are.
Recruit: Easiet [You won't die too many times] Recommended for Beginners.
Regular: Normal [You know how to play] Recommended for the average shooter.
Hardened: Pretty Hard [Challenging] Recommended for Challenge Seekers
Veteran: EXTREME! [You know Death quite well] For those looking for the Purple Heart Achievement.
If you beat the Story Mode on any difficulty you unlock Zombie Mode
The Story Mode is pretty good.
CO-OP Competitive.
So there is Competitive CO-OP where 2-4 Players are with each other but are also being scored against each other. CO-OP also has Challenges where you can earn experience.
EXAMPLE:
Pacific Tour - Complete the MARINE RAIDERS Storyline - 250 EXP

You also activate Death Cards here giving you and your friends a more, interesting Experience.
EXAMPLE: UNDEAD KING, the enemies look like zombies.

CO-OP is recommended for Nazi Zombies. There is only one map for Nazi Zombies if you don't have MAP PACK 1. If you get MAP PACK 1 then you obtain 3 new MP maps and a New Nazi Zombie Map. In Nazi Zombies you face off against Undead Hordes of... Nazi's. W/ guns on the walls and the loveable Random Weapons Box you try and survive as many rounds as you can. NOTE: THERE ARE UNLIMITED ROUNDS!

MULTIPLAYER, XBOX LIVE and ONLINE.
The Multiplayer is okay. Rank up from level 1 to 65, unlocking PERKS and WEAPONS to use in your custom classes. In your custom classes you can:
Choose 1 Primary Gun [Rifle, Sub-Machine Gun, Machine Gun, Shotgun, Bolt-Action Rifle]
Choose 1 Sidearm [Pistol]
Choose 1 Primary Grenade [Frag, Molotov, Sticky]
Choose 1 Special Grenade [Smoke, Flare, Gas]
Choose 1 Tier 1 Perk.
Choose 1 Tier 2 Perk.
Choose 1 Tier 3 Perk.
Choose 1 Vehicle Perk.
+Rename
You start w/ 5 Custom Classes, but you unlock more if you prestige.

Prestiging.
Why do people do it?
Well, some of them do it to earn fame, some for a zero GS acheivement, and some for more classes, I do it for fun.
Prestige is losing all of your weapons, perks, and challenges [EVEN CO-OP!] to do it all over again. But by Prestiging you Unlock more Custom Classes Slots and a Zero Gamerscore Achievement for 360. And a cool Symbol.
In all you can Prestige 10 times!

Multiplayer Gameplay... somewhat bad.
Occasionally you'll get the cool team that helps you face the other team with REAL TEAMWORK and win. But not all the time.
Definitions
Tank-Whore: Person who camps in a tank for the whole game, switching tanks time to time and racking up kills.
Jugger-noob: A person who runs around with Juggernaught on thinking he's badass getting kills, in hardcore... little does he know Stopping Power increases damage.
MP40 Noob: The MP40 can kill you in two shots anywhere on hardcore w/ stopping power. It does the most damage. Recommend a Counter MP40, or Noob Tube Class.
Noob Tuber- Rifle Grenades are "Noob Tubes" People who use them are "Noob Tubers" Rifle Grenades are great, don't get me wrong, but overkill w/ Rifle Grenades on S&D, then your ruining the game.
Flare Idiots- Flares affect you, your team, and the enemy, dumbass, don't go throwing it, unless you know where it's going.
Bomb-Hogger: In Sabotage and S&D there will be the occasional "Bomb Hogger" who will take the bomb, and plant it, every round, not letting anyone else have it.
Boosters: The people can't play the game right, so they get some friends and find ways of Boosting Killls, Score, Wins, EXP, Headshots, and Challenges. 100 Kill Streak my ass.

Summary
StoryMode: 8/10
CO-OP: 9/10
Multiplayer: 6.5/10

DLC
MAP PACK 1: 10/10
Makin Day: 7/10

OVERALL: 7.5/10

If I missed anything please tell me.

Jaffa
17 Apr 2009, 02:05pm
The one thing which really disappointed me about the game was that the AI seemed unchanged since call of duty 2, and the level plan felt very restrictive. I like to play my fps on hard mode, but the AI feels like its walling and has aimbot, rather than its smarter.

Also, constantly respawning waves of enemy isn't fun

raven maniac
17 Apr 2009, 02:13pm
The multiplayer is the shit. I don't know who you're playing with but I'd suggest playing with friends. My advice would be to stop playing soft-core multi because it's terrible. Once you get used to Hardcore Multi it's awesome as well as search and destroy(exactly like counter-strike), War(Capture the Flag), or just regular Hardcore DM.

I play solo or sometimes with friends on WaW and it's fun either way.

Not a bad review, but I didn't like your bit on multiplayer.

Red
17 Apr 2009, 02:33pm
god dammit, anyone want to buy farcry2 off of me for 25 bucks?

Frostbyte
17 Apr 2009, 02:34pm
My counter tank strategy: Get friends, then zerg the living shit outta the tank with satchel charges and AT grenades.

raven maniac
17 Apr 2009, 02:38pm
god dammit, anyone want to buy farcry2 off of me for 25 bucks?

hahaha :]

Wrathek
17 Apr 2009, 02:56pm
i really like the multiplayer. havent had the game long but im digging it. havent bothered with the single player yet :P.

but then again i have it on the pc so maybe the online experience is meh compared to the comp

raven maniac
17 Apr 2009, 03:10pm
i really like the multiplayer. havent had the game long but im digging it. havent bothered with the single player yet :P.

but then again i have it on the pc so maybe the online experience is meh compared to the comp

Yeah, I don't play single player. I haven't even started it.

I play it on 360 though, not PC :\

Runski
17 Apr 2009, 04:44pm
I played HC S&D and i dunno if it's my luck but 7/10 games i play there is either a team killer or a booster on our team... Now that they've got Team Tactical my friend has been inviting me to his game. I've been doing HORRIBLE! my k.d spread has yet to go positive, Kill Cam ruins my camping ability. and Juggernaughts rule! I had all my classes for HC and now im not used to Core so i stopped playing team tac until they put a HC team tac.

opium101
19 Apr 2009, 04:26am
i love the singelplayer but when u reach rank 65 on the last lvl u get kinddaa boored on multiplayer :/ (and no i didn't use these uber xp servers)

Wrathek
19 Apr 2009, 09:31am
start over then :D get a shiny new badge!

SpEeD
19 Apr 2009, 07:10pm
im a fan of cod4, but i still like WaW