PDA

View Full Version : I.O.U.S.A documentary

RedOctober
14 Apr 2009, 07:50pm
Has anyone seen the documentary I.O.U.S.A. It examines the rapidly growing national debt and its consequences for the United States and its citizens.

In my opinion it is very accurate and more people need to watch it.

http://www.iousathemovie.com/

Red
15 Apr 2009, 09:27am
debt will create jobs, so i hear.

I mean when has paying off debt with more debt not worked?

PotshotPolka
15 Apr 2009, 09:35am
When people stop loaning. I DLed the full video, but I've already made it far beyond what the film insinuates, nice find though.

RedOctober
15 Apr 2009, 10:21am

it doesn't work! The idea that Government can "create" jobs through debt spending and this stimulus package is completely idiotic. You do not even have to be an economist so figure out that idea just doesn't work.

Government spending of debt money just takes the money that the wealthy had and moves it around to create these centrally-planned jobs that the natural uninterrupted economy doesn't need or benefit from.

basicly what that movie was trying totell the american people was that

In the long run.... were not just dead, were f**ked!

Red
15 Apr 2009, 10:25am
I should have put /sarcasm on my last reply

PotshotPolka
15 Apr 2009, 10:28am
He's new to the whole internet chat thing.

RedOctober
15 Apr 2009, 11:27am
ha sorry Red...

:-]
15 Apr 2009, 08:50pm
http://www.rightwingnews.com/graphics/obamaurkel.jpg

Unfortunately, it seems after watching the video, a majority of our debts have occurred because of wars. Maybe things would of been different if 9/11 didn't happen, who knows. I don't see Obama fixing this situation anytime soon as well.

PotshotPolka
15 Apr 2009, 09:41pm
;186450']http://www.rightwingnews.com/graphics/obamaurkel.jpg

Unfortunately, it seems after watching the video, a majority of our debts have occurred because of wars. Maybe things would of been different if 9/11 didn't happen, who knows. I don't see Obama fixing this situation anytime soon as well.

Apparently you didn't watch the video.

The major cause of debt is in healthcare entitlements.

:-]
15 Apr 2009, 11:53pm
Apparently you didn't watch the video.

The major cause of debt is in healthcare entitlements.

No, I did not watch the entire movie but I did watch the 30 minute version that was provided. If you re-read my post, you'll notice how I stated "wars". As stated in the documentary, a majority of the times the US have been in debt was due to involvement in war (Civil War, WWI & 2, Independence, Cold War, etc.). There is no doubt that health care has played a part but I just stated one of the reasons.

RedOctober
16 Apr 2009, 01:39pm
;186490']No, I did not watch the entire movie but I did watch the 30 minute version that was provided. If you re-read my post, you'll notice how I stated "wars". As stated in the documentary, a majority of the times the US have been in debt was due to involvement in war (Civil War, WWI & 2, Independence, Cold War, etc.). There is no doubt that health care has played a part but I just stated one of the reasons.

well smiley face.... whoever you are?

you are right. in the past the wars that the us has been involved in has caused the debt to sky rocket. i think you noticed this in the one graph they had with the bouncing penny. But i don't know if you noticed this but the debt from the wars was paid off very fast. the debt may have skyrocketed but it didn't stay at those crazy high levels, it fell.

the problem today is the Iraq war on top of the health care entitlements. If it was just the war alone it wouldn't be so bad but the health care (especially after Bush added the D plan) really puts us in a big hole.

zero
16 Apr 2009, 03:38pm

I like how Ron Paul put it. If I took out a million dollar loan, I'd be doing great -- that is until it came time to pay off that debt.