PDA

View Full Version : The major fault with RE5.

Frostbyte
14 Apr 2009, 01:41pm
Spoilers. But they are kinda obvious.

To ease some minds, let's start with what I think is good about the game.

Just so no one gets me wrong, while I am a big fan of the 3rd person perspective (original RE game angels), this new over-the-shoulder view is ok too. The entire gameplay itself isn't something that I would consider to be a game-ruining factor. While it is new and slightly un-REish, I'm not that picky, because afterall, RE4 WAS fun. Also, the graphics in RE5 are really beautiful, there's no denying that. I'm glad they took away a merchant character, I personally found that kind of stupid from RE4 (as much as everyone loves him, they could of at least given him a backstory).

The partner system also seems pretty cool, especially the fact that it can be 2player. I always thought, even back during when I got RE2 that it would be cool to have multiplayer options. Though back then, I thought more along the line of separated at the beginning of the game (Leon & Claire) and having to exchange needed items, solve puzzles and such to help each other progress through, and of course fight off the undead, eventually side by side. Kinda similar to RE0 now that I think about it, minus the multiplayer option. Sheva's AI is meh.

The last thing I like is somewhat bittersweet. The little loading screen tidbits of information they give about previous games. It's a nice, reminiscent visit for long-time players. In turn though, I realize they probably did it more so for new fans; people who know NOTHING about the old RE series, and have to be filled in with little paragraphs of info. Well, at least they learn SOMETHING about it, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Now on to what everyone's probably been wanting to hear and argue with: What I dislike and/or HATE WITH THE BOWELS OF MY SOUUUUL... About RE5.

Where the hell do I begin? How about the beginning? Opening scene, immediately showing Jill's grave. PAUSE RIGHT THERE! One thing about this game that irritates me so much, is all this 'history' that they make up, and we know NOTHING about until right at that moment. It seems really shoved on and unfair in ways. That whole scene about Chris and Jill going to the (lawl) 2nd Spencer Estate to find Wesker? Come on now, am I really the only one who would of wanted to actually PLAY that in a game rather then just watch it in a fleeting flashback cutscene? That's something about both RE4 and RE5 that bugs me. Capcom's attempt to 'keep up with the times' has really put a damper on the timeline and storyline of RE. I'd still like the game if it took place back in 1998, or hell, even in the early 2000. They could still design a few things to look more modern, I don't think it would be that much of a stretch to make a few designing sacrifices? Not nearly as big a stretch as what they've already done with the series. So basically what I'm saying is: The jumps in time are really pulling this all down, in my opinion. And adding in all this 'history' and flashbacks, etc? If they're so deeply thought out and 'cannon', why couldn't they make an actual game about them? Having Jill vanish at the end of an RE game would be an amazing cliffhanger, and to have her return in a later RE with the backstory would have much more of an OMG JILL IS ALIVE! Impact rather then the sorry excuse slopped together in RE5.

The same thing goes for RE4. The beginning of that game shattered my soul. BTW LOL UMBRELLA ISH GONE! I felt my stomach drop. Granted yes, they made Umbrella Chronicles later on, but that game was more slopped together and hastily made then RE4 or RE5. That's a whoooole other story. To make it brief, I pretty much believe it was made to simply shut fans up about RE5, as well as the fans who complained about the HUGE GAP between RE:CV and RE4. But moving away from these spur-of-the-moment histories and stoylines?

Why don't they fill in the gaps of already started but never finished storylines? Or characters for that matter? If you sit and think, just how many unanswered questions does RE have still?

Where is:
Barry Burton? Rebecca Chambers? Billy Coen? Carlos Olivera? Sherry Birkin? Ark Thompson (lol)? Bruce & Fong Ling? Does Wesker, or some secret Agency still have Steve Burnside? Is he dead or was he really revived? What happened to the T Virus and G Virus? Wesker''s entire mission in Code Veronica was to obtain the T-Veronica Virus. It was made out to be one bad-ass mother-fuckin', rare virus. He got Steve, didn't he? He got a sample, right? So where did that story go to? Even if Steve did die for good, what about this all-powerful virus that was in him? I'm sure there's plenty more questions where those come from? So why can't Capcom at least answer SOME of those questions before just making up even more confusing bullshit?

I know some of the files in RE5 mention the viruses Wesker stole, as well as the fact WHY Umbrella set up in Africa to begin with. But from what I rememeber, Uroboros is made from Plagas and Progenitor virus (correct me if I'm wrong though). So where are all the others? It was a nice attempt to bring some nostalgia told old RE fans but... still is generally unanswered. Not to mention most of the nostalgia is brought back via files... besides Lickers actually, I think ALL old references are in files. I dunno, I know some of the older RE's do some file flashback... but damn, remember CV, the Mansion replica in the Arctic Base? I got chills. It was so cool. And seeing the R.P.D. station in RE3. Actual, physical visits to the past, that's good remeniscing.

RE4 and RE5 are just pathetic reaches at current events, in my opinion. Terrorism? Foreign countries? Sounds a little familiar if you ask me (war on Iraq lol?). Sure, I can understand Capcom wanting to sell out and give into a gameplay style and theme that?ll get them some cash off of brainless, trigger happy kids, sure. I just wonder why they had to pick the RE series to be the sacrificial lamb. As I earlier said, I'm up for new gameplay, it is fun and all. But changing the story like that for such obvious reasons is just mind boggling. Then again, it's not even the same writing team, so I guess it's not at fault of the original people. Hell, the original writer of RE himself shook his head in shame over the turn this series has taken? That's gotta say SOMETHING to you people XD

Moving on to more history butt-fucking... the Wesker thing. Hones-fuckin-ly. Les Infantes Terriblesese lefook? Wow. Wowwww. I could of sworn Wesker was just an ordinary human at first... a power-hungry douchebag with some smarts, but normal nonetheless. Til he injected the virus into himself, anyway. So he's part of some Umbrella experimantation, he didn't find out til Spencer told him in RE5 and... yeah. No kidding he didn't know. Because the creators of Resident Evil back in the day didn't even fucking know! DON'T YOU JUST LOVE SPUR OF THE MOMENT MADE UP HORSE SHIT! :D!!!!!!!!! Just... the whole fact that Wesker was apparently raised in some Umbrella lab, with a bunch of other kids nabbed away from their parents... all named 'Wesker' and given some 'inner desire to seek out Spencer' really kills his character. It gives fan-girl-twats reason to be like AWW WHAT A SAD DISTURBED PAST! No, just no. Wesker is just a cold hearted bastard, fuck all this dramatic past bullshit. It really doesn't bother me that he died (possibly), but the final battle was a fucking joke. Sheva shooting a rocket? Bitch please. Fuck off already.

Also, let me make a comment about Spencer. The Spencer Estate. Something that's both haunted and mystified RE gamers since the beginning. Who is Spencer? Where is he hiding? When will our heroes find him and take him down? Well, it's all answered in RE5, but very, very, very SHITTILY. Hay guess what! He's in Africa. Guess what else?! He's got a cliche dream of 'purifying the planet'. Moonraker, anyone? Oh and guess what else, else?! Wesker already killed him in a flashback. Mystery solved, lol. That's just as bad as Umbrella being pre-destroyed. Fucking bullshit.

Ok, let's all take a breath and move to a calmer, but just as retarded topic. Sheva. I talked about the ability of 2player and AI already, but her as a character. Her personality so far seems kind of annoying, a little anyways. Like as soon as Chris tells her about what happened to Jill, she's all like I'LL BE YO PARTNER~~ and proceed to use the word 'partner' 400 more times throughout the game. And her backstory is almost identical to Angela's from RE Degeneration. LAWL BOOHOO UMBRELLA KILLED MAH FAMILY SO REVENGE TIME! We're all SO fucking sad for you, your story is truly moving. -_-! But personality aside, let's talk about her creation for a bit. Did anyone else notice in the early releases of RE5 gameplay? hmmm something's missing? Oh! Sheva isn't fucking there. That's strange... and yet there she is not long after the racist claims arose? So my theory is: A hastily created, pointless character just to ward off angry mobs. Sad, really.

I got plenty of other things that make my piss boil, to briefly name them: The advertisements for RE5, the sad little homage to the original RE, that was insult onto injury, the non-scary environment, recycled animations, a piss poor ending, the fact Jill is... Blonde? And many more. But I won't drone on and on about em, I've made all my bigger points. *EDIT* I know Jill is blonde cuase of her bullshit virus. But come on, when you were wee children playing RE1... Did you think the series would ever in a million years turn out this way? To mind control and other completely unrelated bullshit? Sigh. At least she can dye her hair back and what not.

So now, in conclusion, you can say that I'm not a 'true' for clinging onto the old games and not accepting the new. But with everything I've stated and feel, I don't see how I can NOT be appalled with the turn this series has taken. I'm not saying that people who DO like this game though aren't real fans, I'm sure there are quite a few who are hardcore old RE fans.. just.. I dunno, a little too easily pleased as long as Resident Evil is slapped on the title. And I've been hollered at a few times like OMFG Frost, it's a game just shut up and enjoy it!1!!11? Well, I say this with all the power of my geeky nerdom and pride of it... It's more then a game to me! XD It's my favorite fucking game series ever, it's like... the ONE thing in life I'm a die-hard-core fan for. If you felt the one thing you were an uber-nerd fan for was slowly dying... you'd be upset too. I love RE not just for omg lol shoot zombehs!!! I love the plot, the storyline, the characters, the pairings, the old school gameplay, the cheesy lines, the history, everything! ....Until now, at least. But I'm sure you figured that part out.

So like.... Yeah. There's your answer.

Fuck.

James
14 Apr 2009, 03:57pm
Well... where to begin.. Umm ok. As far as I know, with RE4, it completely went in a different direction. I mean with the original resident evils, with tyrant, and the mutated monsters, they made sense because they were all linked to the same virus that was made. Hell, even code veronica, with the hunters from the original, and the gigantic mutated spiders. But RE4.. it completely de railed the whole storyline. I mean.. if it had been a region that had a secret location that was used as a development for a more powerful T or G virus, then it would have made sense. For example, there could have been rumours about an 'incident' in the area, that caused mass mutations of all the humans working there, turning them into zombies etc, and also affecting the animals and stuff they were testing on.. then yes it would have made more sense.

But Leon, I don't get it, he survives all of the horrors from resident evil 2, the whole city infested with zombies, dogs, and mutants, and even survives from the classic tyrant creature, and the main culprit, Birkin, who mutates himself with his own virus, when umbrella try and infiltrate his personal research lab to steal his creation. A lot of back story isn't covered after the events, like what happens with Leon and claire after they both split. Even with Hunk, the only survivor from his squad to survive the outbreak of the virus unleashed, and escape from the mutated Birkin, after it kills his team; nothing is explained as to what happens AFTER he escapes witht he virus sample, and how it links in with Wesker etc.

To sum it up, I was quite disappointed as to how it has turned out, as you have said, trying to 'keep up with the times', where they come up with the whole garbled timeline of events that don't make sense.
And with all the other characters, at the end of RE3, the epilogues tell some of the aftermath results or fate of each character, but it does not explain their ultimate destiny.

Jaffa
14 Apr 2009, 04:46pm
RE4 was a big favourite of mine, it seemed to reinvigorate the RE format, and make it a lot more dynamic, yet still had its share of jump moments (not as much as the origional mind).

I only played the demo of RE5 but was instantly disappointed. Not only was it difficult to get used to and comfortably with, it didn't feel like a survival horror, it felt like a run and gun game, where i could just run through wvaes of these bad guys and not be worried. Also, i know its Africa and all, but the setting and lack of darkness does nothing to add to the atmosphere

PotshotPolka
14 Apr 2009, 07:45pm
They just need to shitcan the whole fucked storyline, and really just one more trilogy, even if its unrelated. The franchise has enough of a following it could curbstomp GoW, Halo, and CoD with one swoop if they did it right.

Spartan
16 Apr 2009, 06:33pm
Playin the RE5 demo made me dissapointed because YOU CANT FUCKING MOVE WHEN YOU PUT YOUR GUN UP!!11!!!!11l!!

Smurftan
17 Apr 2009, 04:27am
Playin the RE5 demo made me dissapointed because YOU CANT FUCKING MOVE WHEN YOU PUT YOUR GUN UP!!11!!!!11l!!

no u...llol but really thats the ONLY reason ? :(

Spartan
17 Apr 2009, 09:07am
;187192']no u...llol but really thats the ONLY reason ? :(

YES IT PISSED ME OF SO I THREW MY XBOX OUT THE WINDOW

Runski
17 Apr 2009, 12:52pm
To shed some light on what i think might happen in later Resident Evils / Biohazards.
Okay apparently in RE4 Ramon Salazar had the cult, Los Illuminados, come back and dig out the parasites that were fossilized in the caves under the castle. Doing so the Parasites infected the people mining the fossils via spores released as they dug. The miners were being controlled by the parasites to kill others. Saddler got the idea that he could control this power to cleanse the world of evil. There for he got Krauser to kidnap the presidents daughter so he could infect her and send her back to America to infect others and there for "Cleanse the World" one country at a time. Saddlers plans were ruined as Leon S. Kennedy, an agent from America and survivor of Racoon City, came and killed The Cheif of the Village, Ramon Salazar, and Saddler himself. Leon and Ashley, the president's daughter, both made it back to America alive, and ridden of the parasites inside them.
About RE5 I do not know, I have not completed the game to find out about the whole story.
But remember! In Resident Evil 4, at the end Ada takes "The Sample" from Leon and apparently gives it to Wesker. Don't know what happens to the Sample... But if what I think is correct. Then Wesker was going to use "The Sample" and the Viruses to create a new virus. (Again don't call me an idiot I have not beaten Resident Evil 5.) Therefor Foreshadowing the RESIDENT EVIL 6 T-2 Virus or RESIDENT EVIL 6 G-2 Virus. Or maybe even RESIDENT EVIL 6: A Los Illuminados America. I dunno all I can say is that all the Resident Evils are pretty bad ass.
BTW: I liked Jill better when she wasn't a Blonde. >.< RE ruined my favorite character, not saying anything bad about blondes, im blonde too, but seriously? a Blonde Jill is like ruining the Eiffel Tower, Most people don't give a shit, but those who do will swear revenge.

Frostbyte
17 Apr 2009, 07:20pm
To shed some light on what i think might happen in later Resident Evils / Biohazards.
Okay apparently in RE4 Ramon Salazar had the cult, Los Illuminados, come back and dig out the parasites that were fossilized in the caves under the castle. Doing so the Parasites infected the people mining the fossils via spores released as they dug. The miners were being controlled by the parasites to kill others. Saddler got the idea that he could control this power to cleanse the world of evil. There for he got Krauser to kidnap the presidents daughter so he could infect her and send her back to America to infect others and there for "Cleanse the World" one country at a time. Saddlers plans were ruined as Leon S. Kennedy, an agent from America and survivor of Racoon City, came and killed The Cheif of the Village, Ramon Salazar, and Saddler himself. Leon and Ashley, the president's daughter, both made it back to America alive, and ridden of the parasites inside them.
About RE5 I do not know, I have not completed the game to find out about the whole story.
But remember! In Resident Evil 4, at the end Ada takes "The Sample" from Leon and apparently gives it to Wesker. Don't know what happens to the Sample... But if what I think is correct. Then Wesker was going to use "The Sample" and the Viruses to create a new virus. (Again don't call me an idiot I have not beaten Resident Evil 5.) Therefor Foreshadowing the RESIDENT EVIL 6 T-2 Virus or RESIDENT EVIL 6 G-2 Virus. Or maybe even RESIDENT EVIL 6: A Los Illuminados America. I dunno all I can say is that all the Resident Evils are pretty bad ass.
BTW: I liked Jill better when she wasn't a Blonde. >.< RE ruined my favorite character, not saying anything bad about blondes, im blonde too, but seriously? a Blonde Jill is like ruining the Eiffel Tower, Most people don't give a shit, but those who do will swear revenge.

*SPOLIER ALERT*

Wesker dies in RE5, or at least he should, because he was shoulder-deep in lava and hit in the face with 2 RPG's. So, any hopes of him showing up in another sequel are slim to maybe.

Well, the "sample" that Ada Wong obtained at the end of RE4 was probably used with the progenitor virus to create UROBORUS, hence RE5. If any virus were to arise for a sequel, it might be an evolved version of UROBORUS, because most Umbrella bases were blown up. (See the Mansion Incident, Racoon City, Russian Base [RE: Umbrella Chronicles]). My best bet for the next RE would be the T.A.L.O.S project in tandem with UROBORUS. Tell me that wouldn't be badass.

TALOShttp://projectumbrella.net/files/imagecache/preview/images/TALOS1.JPG

Uroborushttp://planetmedia.gamespy.com/wiki/planetresidentevil.gamespy.com/default/uploads/2/26/RE5_Enemy_Uroboros.jpg

That would look badass. Talos by himself is badass.

For those of you that dont know, TALOS is an upgraded version of the Tyrant from RE3.

Jaffa
17 Apr 2009, 07:37pm
Wesker won't be dead.

Becuase RE5 was all a dream and they should just pretend it never happened

Italian Jew
17 Apr 2009, 07:45pm
Resident Evil has gone so far down hill, it is fucking insane! Japanese games get too fucked up if they go on long enough.

darklink1133
17 Apr 2009, 08:15pm
Lol, I agree with FrostByte.....This was kind of major fail. One thing that REALLY REALLY disappoints me is that they censored every fucking death! I mean what happened to heads being chopped off and all of those bloody shit.

darklink1133
17 Apr 2009, 08:16pm
Resident Evil has gone so far down hill, it is fucking insane! Japanese games get too fucked up if they go on long enough.

ah but Metal Gear Solid hasn't failed yet my friend.

Italian Jew
17 Apr 2009, 09:01pm
ah but Metal Gear Solid hasn't failed yet my friend.

Yeah, it has.

It started turning to fail at the end of the 2nd and went completely screwed up in the last one.

Runski
17 Apr 2009, 09:06pm
I dunno about MGS, they really need a 360 version of 4... >.> I hope your right Jaffa, Chris will wake up with a bad hangover, look next to him to see a fat Sheva Alomar. He then finds out Leon never went to Europe and was actually working as a martial arts instructor cause he lost his job.

darklink1133
17 Apr 2009, 09:19pm
Yes but that's what you think in your own opinion of Metal Gear Solid, I don't know about you but Metal Gear Solid has been the #1 game for PS3 for a long time. I also saw a video by GameSpot that Hideo Kojima might make another MGS.

Italian Jew
17 Apr 2009, 09:25pm
Yes but that's what you think in your own opinion of Metal Gear Solid, I don't know about you but Metal Gear Solid has been the #1 game for PS3 for a long time. I also saw a video by GameSpot that Hideo Kojima might make another MGS.

PS3 is made by a Japanese company, so their games are going to more likely be aimed at Japanese gamers. The Japanese like weird shit (they absolutely climax over it). I was a fan of the Metal Gear games and the 1st Metal Gear Solid, but not the others. It got too damn weird.

Runski
17 Apr 2009, 09:26pm
darklink MGS is one of the best games I've played all im saying is that they need a 360 version, Most of the games I see today are all PS3 only... sometimes I regret getting a 360, cause now i can't afford to upgrade my cpu so i can play better games :.(

Spjerre
18 Apr 2009, 12:16am
YES IT PISSED ME OF SO I THREW MY XBOX OUT THE WINDOW

Poor xbox.. But my friend tells me its awesome.

Plus Spar, that is for more realism

Runski
18 Apr 2009, 10:19am
The reason i believe you cant shoot and move is that, you have to think of timing. "Okay gotta kill this dog quickly cause there are more enemies coming behind me, after that i've also got to lookfor trip wire, then turn around and kill the stragglers." You have to think of how your going to use your time wisely.

Frostbyte
18 Apr 2009, 10:24am
The reason i believe you cant shoot and move is that, you have to think of timing. "Okay gotta kill this dog quickly cause there are more enemies coming behind me, after that i've also got to lookfor trip wire, then turn around and kill the stragglers." You have to think of how your going to use your time wisely.

That, and also, you couldn't move and shoot in previous Resident Evils.

Спецназ
20 Apr 2009, 12:22pm
It seems that the Resident Evil series is slowly being infected by more and more aspects of Japanese anime. It's a damn shame if you ask me. I desperately miss the feel of the first three games. No over-the-top bullshit acrobatic fight scenes, no super Wesker, and a plot that I have yet to see matched in the survival horror genre. I think they need to fire (and by fire I mean shoot in the face) the current writers, get author S.D Perry onboard (read her resident evil books, they're pretty good), and start from scratch. Apparently there's already an RE6 in the works and it's supposed to restart the series. They're going to start from the beginning and totally butt-fuck anything decent about the whole series (or at least that's what I'm guessing).

Frostbyte
20 Apr 2009, 02:41pm
I fucking hate JRPGs.

I hope they go back to where they came from instead of trying to desperately to fit in with all the decent games and franchises over here.

Stop wearing makeup, get a haircut and get some half-decent voice actors!

/rant

Resident Evil has always had the worst voice actors. Just youtube a RE-1 vid for the orignal playstation, its hilarious.

Other than that, spot on.

Loganator456
27 Apr 2009, 08:29pm
I'd like to try RE5, even with the faults. I really liked RE4.

Frostbyte
28 Apr 2009, 03:13pm
Just a recap. I dont hate Resident Evil 5 for the gameplay, its top-notch, but the story is really fucked up after about a decade, and it annoys me to see a decades worth of lore thrown out the window.